• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg Won’t Direct ‘Indiana Jones 5,’ James Mangold in Talks to Replace (Variety)

After a long development process, Steven Spielberg is handing the directing reins on “Indiana Jones 5” to another filmmaker for the first time in the franchise’s 39-year history, Variety has learned.

Sources say, while a deal hasn’t closed, “Ford v Ferrari” director James Mangold is in talks to take the job. Mangold has been put in this situation before when he took over the “Wolverine” franchise; 2017’s “Logan” was a blockbuster, grossing $619 million globally, and earning Mangold an Oscar nomination for adapted screenplay.

Spielberg will remain as a hands-on producer on “Indy 5.” According to a source close to the filmmaker, the decision to leave the director’s chair was entirely Spielberg’s, in a desire to pass along Indy’s whip to a new generation to bring their perspective to the story.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Tintin was better than most of the Indiana Jones franchise. I'll take Tintin 2 over another Indiana Jones sequel.
Tintin was somehow more boring than Indiana Jones though.

That movie bombed so hard he was forced to become a anime.
3cc.jpg

Birdo

Banned
Passing the character to "A new generation?"

Does that mean that the character will live on after Ford retires?

I know Spielberg always denied it would happen, but I'd be fine with another actor taking the role.

zeorhymer

Passing the character to "A new generation?"

Does that mean that the character will live on after Ford retires?

I know Spielberg always denied it would happen, but I'd be fine with another actor taking the role.
Wasn't it passed down to Indy's son? Or did he drop the crystal skull and break it?

drganon

Would be better if they just left things alone and stop making unnecessary sequels. But that would be asking too much for the creatively bankrupt Hollywood exec's who approve these things.

VertigoOA

Banned
He’s like 90 years old...and besides Rey’s theme his latest work is pretty uninspired tbh

So much has to do with George actually being involved in the music process asking him to create tunes that invoke such and such or similar to themes of other classic works. Williams is fine... it’s Disney that’s the problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom