• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It Sounds Like Logan May Be the Best Wolverine Movie Yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
io9 link.

Today in New York, 20th Century Fox showcased a few of its big genre movies that are currently in production. The one seemingly getting the most buzz is the third Wolverine film, Logan.

We’ll have full write-ups of all the footage (which also included War for the Planet of the Apes and Alien: Covenant) soon, but for now, here are some very, very positive reactions to the first 40 minutes of Logan. No spoilers.

-Check the link for the reactions and tweets-

There were a few takes that were less than positive, but there may be more Wolverine movies than there were negative reviews. Suffice to say, if the next hour of Logan lives up to this first 40 minutes, we could be in for something special come March 3.

That’s when Logan, directed by James Mangold, starring Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Dafne Keen (as Laura/X-23), opens.

"Best Wolverine movie yet." That's not saying all that much,but I'm excited for Logan. The trailer gave me Children of Men vibes.

kunonabi

The movie is actually looking like its making x-23 into a decent character so it deserves props for that at the very least.

So at least a solid 6-6.5/10!

Man the last one was pretty good until that last 20 minutes of whatever the fuck that was

Mangold's a talented guy, him and co-writer Scott Frank know genre stories, I'm sure its good as long as Silver Samurai robot doesn't show up

SpaceWolf

Banned
No way it's going to be better than X Men Origins: Wolverine. No way.

Wolverine2.gif

No way it's going to be better than The Wolverine. No way.

tumblr_mvx2mtwkRY1qls63ao4_r1_400.gif

Impossible.

Symphonia

Banned
"Best Wolverine movie yet." That's not saying all that much,but I'm excited for Logan. The trailer gave me Children of Men vibes.
Wolverine has played a pretty pivotal role in nearly every X-Men film, so I'm counting them all. Except X3, that never happened. Or Origins.

I think I enjoyed The Wolverine on a first watch, but a second viewing was definitely pretty dull...and X-Men Origins was straight trash so it won't take much to be the best Wolverine film. But Logan legitimately looks really good so I'm pretty excited. Hopefully they don't botch the third act the way the previous film did.

DOFP was my favorite. Particularly this scene:

IT'S INSANE that he is that ripped. He is 48 and he is fucking shredded as hell!!

Thinking about it now, Days of Future Past and First Class are my favorite X-Men film. I connected better with them than the original X-Men film. I was bummed to hear Apocalypse did not live up to expectations:(

There are plenty of movies that start out strong. The last half can easily ruin a movie.

Right, it's funny that nobody is willing to defend the end of the second movie, which in my opinion practically ruined the film, and we don't know anything about the ending of this one yet.

I really enjoyed the Logan trailer and I'm glad to hear it starts strong, but this franchise isn't known for sticking the landing. It was the ending of the first movie that made it the worst X-Men movie, too.

*insert snarky comment here*

Anyways, I'm pretty excited to maybe finally get a definitive solo Wolverine movie. It shouldn't have taken this long.

IT'S INSANE that he is that ripped. He is 48 and he is fucking shredded as hell!!

Thinking about it now, Days of Future Past and First Class are my favorite X-Men film. I connected better with them than the original X-Men film. I was bummed to hear Apocalypse did not live up to expectations:(

Yeah Days of Future Past and First Class are definitely my favorite X-Men films by a country mile, not just great superhero flicks but great films in general.

Joeku

Look, they're probably going to kill both Professor X and Wolverine in the movie, and if it's directed just well enough we're all going to cry. That's all it will take for this to be considered good. But that's kinda good enough. It will put a bookend on nearly twenty years of a movie series and I'm okay with that.

Origins and Wolverine both had weak villains. That was a major problem. Wolverine in Japan being bad should not have been bad. It should have been impossible. It's the perfect story. Weeawolfbo in Japan katana'ing it up. It fell flat.

kswiston

Origins and Wolverine both had weak villains. That was a major problem. Wolverine in Japan being bad should not have been bad. It should have been impossible. It's the perfect story. Weeawolfbo in Japan katana'ing it up. It fell flat.

The Wolverine didnt have weak villains, so much as it had a weak conclusion. So many comic book third acts fail because the film makers fall into the "needs spectacle" trap. Cut whatever Viper was. Cut the cheesy Silver Samurai stuff. Wolverine fighting ninja crimelords in Japan was already spectacle enough. Who actually preferred the fight with the robot at the end over the scene on the bullet train?

EloquentM

aka Mannny
The Wolverine didnt have weak villains, so much as it had a weak conclusion. So many comic book third acts fail because the film makers fall into the "needs spectacle" trap. Cut whatever Viper was. Cut the cheesy Silver Samurai stuff. Wolverine fighting ninja crimelords in Japan was already spectacle enough. Who actually preferred the fight with the robot at the end over the scene on the bullet train?
They were so close. Soooo damn close

zeemumu

That's great to hear, but that's probably not all that hard to do since the competition is made up of that one where Deadpool doesn't have a mouth and that other one that wasn't bad but...eehhh...

Prompto

Banned
Man the last one was pretty good until that last 20 minutes of whatever the fuck that was

Mangold's a talented guy, him and co-writer Scott Frank know genre stories, I'm sure its good as long as Silver Samurai robot doesn't show up
I'm worried as hell about Mr. Sinister apparently being in this. That has potential to be another Silver Samurai robot. Hope they learned their lesson this time.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Jackman takes his training seriously and has for some time. Its also a lot easier when you're loaded and part of your job is staying in great shape.

kswiston

Jackman takes his training seriously and has for some time. Its also a lot easier when you're loaded and part of your job is staying in great shape.

Looking at him as Wolverine in the 2000 X-Men film (or even X2) is hilarious in retrospect. The standards for movie superhero physiques has really changed.

Prompto

Banned
Looking at him as Wolverine in the 2000 X-Men film (or even X2) is hilarious in retrospect. The standards for movie superhero physiques has really changed.
To be fair, the reason he's skinnier in the first X-Men film was because he was casted in the last minute as a replacement and didn't have much time to work out.

To be fair, the reason he's skinnier in the first X-Men film was because he was casted in the last minute as a replacement and didn't have much time to work out.
Funily enough. A band member of the dude I posted above was originally offered to play Wolverine due to his height and stature.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

In general the look for men in Hollywood who aren't comedians tends to be ripped if not outright jacked. Even drunk lazy assholes in big Hollywood films are more ripped than 98% of the people who go to my gym despite drinking enough to have liver failure a few times over. Its kind of hilarious how far its gotten and seeing someone who isn't an adonis under their clothes is kind of refreshing to me these days.

I mean, that's not hard to do given that one is an abomination and the other reached the lofty heights of "passable".

Still mad they fucked up Wolverine in Japan.

kswiston

He was definitely bigger in X2, but I don't remember him having that super shredded look that he's had in the last couple of films.

This is a general trend though. Look at Man of Steel Superman vs any of the previous versions we've had. Batfleck was pretty ridiculous as well.

Kieli

Mmhmm. Means diddly-squat to me what the press says until the movie is out and the public has had their chance to see it.

shira

That's great to hear, but that's probably not all that hard to do since the competition is made up of that one where Deadpool doesn't have a mouth and that other one that wasn't bad but...eehhh...

I hope DP has a wicked sick cameo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom