• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ireland has first-in-world national referendum on gay marriage [Update: Yes Wins]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except for the whole abortion thing.

True.

But for the most part, if I was given the choice of staying in the North (Derry) right now or move across the border to somewhere like Dublin, I'd happily take the South over the North. You lot have, as I said for the most part, got it well together better than us. :)

RangerX

Banned
Congrats Ireland :)

So fucking ashamed of Australia now. Well, I already was, but a country as religious as Ireland beating us? Damn.

The country really isn't that religious. Most people here identify nominally as Catholic. The church's hold over the country is nothing like it used to be. Most people are pretty secular.

Herne

Well said.

Although voting on something a number of times until the government got the vote they wanted was bullshit and anti-democratic.

More like until Brussels got what they wanted. But, that's a discussion for another day. Though I will agree with the poster you quoted about the Irish system being awesome.

History being made today in Ireland. So happy to be here to see it.

So fucking ashamed of Australia now. Well, I already was, but a country as religious as Ireland beating us? Damn.

Yeah as a half Irish/English person living in Sydney it's sickening. And yet I've rarely met anyone here who's homophobic in any way, shape or form. I feel if a referendum was put out it would be a landslide. I really feel it's just the government trying to keep one or two rich right wing groups happy. Cunts.

I'm really proud of Ireland today. You did good.

Heartfyre

The country really isn't that religious. Most people here identify nominally as Catholic. The church's hold over the country is nothing like it used to be. Most people are pretty secular.

Indeed. Identifying as Catholic /=/ practicing Catholic.

Most of my parents' generation, if they go to church at all, do so for the community element moreso than religious devotion.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
True.

But for the most part, if I was given the choice of staying in the North (Derry) right now or move across the border to somewhere like Dublin, I'd happily take the South over the North. You lot have, as I said for the most part, got it well together better than us. :)

I'm actually a filthy halfie. :p On my mum's side, my grandma was from Cork and my grandad was from somewhere in the North - Dungannon, iirc. My mother was born in London, though, and I've only been back to (either) Ireland twice.

Omikaru

I always had a feeling Ireland would vote Yes, but by how much was always my wonder.

I hope the bigoted fucks realise they are outnumbered by a large majority.

Congrats, Ireland. :)

NateDog

I'm very happy to hear this. I'll be honest, I expected it to be a win on one side, but on the other side I told myself to never expect anything, especially considering who's voting here. I'm really glad it's been a pretty big and clear winning gap, but it still saddens me that there is still such a large percentage of people against it. Heck I know people in my family who were against it but were too lazy to vote (and I'm glad they were I guess).

Gorger

Welcome Ireland to the super cool marriage equality club, good to have you aboard. Gonna have a glass of Irish whiskey in celebration of Ireland tonight! Cheers and congratulations.

Next up, USA?! :)

Gorger

Time to step it up! I am sure if Australia ever had a similar vote like Ireland it would have won by a landslide.

elfinke

Well done Ireland, just saw the 'no' team conceded.

Soon Australia will be number one in gay marriage inequality, through worldly attrition
success
! Hooray for progress.

/sarcasm. Tony 'coal is good for humanity' Abbott will be gone by xmas, there is a chance yet we will catch up with common sense and decency that the rest of the world has displayed on this issue sooner (2015 lol) rather than later.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Is é an deireadh anseo!

You'd be surprised how few Irish people will understand that. Most people I know have a very passing knowledge they got at school, but are essentially monolingual English.

StayDead

If I'm reading that right ROSCOMMON-SOUTH LEITRIM 52% No; 48% Yes

Is the only No majority across the entirety of Ireland. Amazing!

Walshicus

More like until Brussels got what they wanted.
It's insulting that you think so little of the Irish people to assume they would just vote for something they didn't support for... Reasons?

The second referendum took place after measures to address Irish concerns, regardless of the narrative the media is England wanted to peddle.

Africanus

You'd be surprised how few Irish people will understand that. Most people I know have a very passing knowledge they got at school, but are essentially monolingual English.

Ahh yes I know, how unfortunate! It is such a quaint language.

we did it \o/

fuck the bigots. delighted that my gay friends will now have equal marriage rights and be able to marry those they love. So proud of our country today, not something I get to say often!

Africanus

Ireland does what both of my countries cannot, and to this, I salute them.
Oh the United States and Nigeria, how quickly change must come!

HylianTom

Banned
Nice, congrats Ireland!

All of Ireland is now a gay, sorry.

Now, I've heard of some villages that only have one gay..
daffyd_1512701c.jpg

Antinash

Not surprised by the Roscommon-South Leitrim No vote. Been down a few times. They don't have much apart from their faith down there. Still though, amazingly close, which is encouraging in of itself. Donegal voting Yes blew me away. What an amazing day for this country. Congratulations to the rest of ÉireGAF.

Herne

It's insulting that you think so little of the Irish people

Being one of them, I don't. Assumptions are fun, aren't they!

The second referendum took place after measures to address Irish concerns, regardless of the narrative the media is England wanted to peddle.

So Brian Cowen was dragged before the EU and we were told to vote again and to vote the way Brussels wanted us to vote because they respect our voice so much? Sometimes seeing modern democracy in action is so fricking awesome.

Not that this is remotely on-topic.

On-topic, very proud of the result today. We really have come such a long way in the last few decades.

ghostjoke

Banned
Just checked in on the rte coverage. The Inoa dude: "We lost because we didn't have a political party behind us and people are not going to church as much." So, groups of people don't want to associate with you and people are thinking for themselves?

Just checked in on the rte coverage. The Inoa dude: "We lost because we didn't have a political party behind us and people are not going to church as much." So, groups of people don't want to associate with you and people are thinking for themselves?
"We lost because no one agreed with us and our ideology is fading."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom