• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ireland has first-in-world national referendum on gay marriage [Update: Yes Wins]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Westborough Baptist Church has a God Hates Ireland page.

When they see the results of this referendum, their heads will explode.

Full count expected in about a half an hour but here's how it looks right now with 6 constituencies yet to finish tallying up votes (including mine in North-Cork west)

IVpWgJ7.png

That big red mark in the middle. :|

hohoXD123

Holy shit @ the comments! Some of them sound like their whole world has come tumbling down, and they're not even Irish.

The margin of 2:1 in favor of gay marriage is very extreme for a nation that is predominantly Catholic.

There might have been some non citizens voting.

Maybe the IRA snuck in from N. Ireland and cast ballots.

Polygamy is a couple steps more normal than sodomite marriage.

Wtf am I reading

Trouble

Banned
WTG Ireland! I knew you wouldn't let me down. Proud of my ~60% Irish heritage today.

More importantly super happy for a couple of my former Dublin based coworkers who have their equal rights codified now.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wtf am I reading
Let them. Their tears nourish me.

Watch homophobes scream bloody murder for the next five years or so while they fruitlessly try to reverse the vote. You haven't tasted sour grapes until you've lived in a country that went through the same phase. Ireland is going to turn into Sodom and Gomorrah in their minds.

Liamario

Banned
Let them. Their tears nourish me.

Watch homophobes scream bloody murder for the next five years or so while they fruitlessly try to reverse the vote. You haven't tasted sour grapes until you've lived in a country that went through the same phase. Ireland is going to turn into Sodom and Gomorrah in their minds.

Like all Irish, they'll admit their defeat and keep their heads down. There will be no attempts to reverse the decision.

Griss

Argh, I lived a 2 minute's walk away from the George for the last three years. What a terrible time to live abroad! The whole of George's Street / Aungier Street / Camden Street will be rocking tonight.

This is about 100% contrary to the Irish attitude on anything. The vote has been taken, there will never be any concerted attempts to reverse it. The defeated will mutter under their breath in the corner of their local pubs for a couple of years, then this will become the new normal, and it will be forgotten.

Nobody goes to Roscommon, so they are detached from the rest of the country. ;-)
What's Roscommon? [See Google]
Mmhh looks like a nice, quiet place to visit on a summer day. Granteed most of the pictures show old couples and ruins but I'd like to go there. (And Doolin.... one day)

Kinsei

Banned
I'm glad yes won.

I may have missed it, but I don't think I've seen you offer an opinion on how this should be done if not by referendum.

Well?

No clue, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't talk about this.

We're not voting on whether people deserve human rights. We are voting to extend the constitutional protection to the right of marriage to include more families. We already have civil partnerships for same sex couples, but that is not enough, and there is no constitutional protection.

Having a referendum is the purest form of democracy. It is the best way to change laws, it's just not practical for every small law. Representative democracy fills in the gaps.

How would I feel: nervous about the vote - in spite of the over welling polls I'd be worried something would go wrong, upset at some of the comments and posters that the NO campaign spouted, buoyed by all the support for the yes by all sorts of people, and hopefully, this morning, proud of the YES vote. I'm hoping it reminds all Irish gay and lesbians that they are part of our society and we want them to happy.

Marriage is a human right.

True democracy is terrible. The majority will always vote against the minority if they believe it benefits them or they just plain don't like them.

I doubt that. Once you have a bunch of hate thrown at what you are even by "progressive" people I imagine your faith in the majority will be shaken. Trust me, it would be more than just nervousness that you'd be feeling.

hohoXD123

I'm glad yes won.

No clue, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't talk about this.

True democracy is terrible. The majority will always vote against the minority if they believe it benefits them or they just plain don't like them.

I doubt that. Once you have a bunch of hate thrown at what you are even by "progressive" people I imagine your faith in the majority will be shaken. Trust me, it would be more than just nervousness that you'd be feeling.
If the majority hold the minority in such contempt, you will not have people/political parties being democratically elected who will protect the minority. I'm not sure why your alternatives to a referendum are any less worrying to the minority group.

ivysaur12

Banned
New map, pending Slovenia's possible referendum to block their gay marriage law:

n5qsqZ1.png

(Dark blue = marriage, light blue = civil unions or something similar, red = constitutional amendment banning gay marriage)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Okay, so how do we decide what human rights are?

Kinsei

Banned
Okay, so how do we decide what human rights are?

Can group A do something that doesn't negatively affect anyone and other groups can not just because of the way they were born? If the answer is yes then it's a human right. It's not very complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom