• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crank North Carolina GOP lawmakers file bill in futile effort to ban gay marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruxo

http://www.wect.com/story/35126487/nc-bill-looks-to-ban-gay-marriage?utm_content=bufferc36b4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

RALEIGH, NC (WNCN) -
A bill filed by three Republican lawmakers looks to ban gay marriage in North Carolina.

The “Uphold Historical Marriage Act” says the U.S. Supreme Court overstepped its “constitutional bounds” when in 2015 it struck down what was known as Amendment One.

In May 2012, more than 60 percent of those who cast a ballot voted in favor of Amendment One, that prohibited North Carolina from recognizing or performing same-sex marriages or civil unions.

Rep. Larry Pittman (R-Cabarrus), Rep. Michael Speciale (R-Beaufort) and Rep. Carl Ford (r-Cabarrus) are the primary sponsors of House Bill 780.

The bill says the Supreme Court not only overstepped their power in North Carolina but also overstepped the “the decree of Almighty God that ‘a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and they shall become 22 one flesh. (Genesis 2:24, ESV)'”

HB780 would make the Supreme Court’s decision on gay marriage void in North Carolina. The bill states marriages between persons of the same gender would not be valid, whether conducted inside or outside of the state.

Also: Larry Pittman, one of the authors of the bill, wanted to bring back public hangings...only five years ago.

Absolutely ridiculous. We get rid of HB2 and then this shit happens.

Uphold Historical Marriage

POLYAMORY! MARRY CHILDREN!

Governor of North Carolina and Mayors of NC cities must be like "Jesus fucking christ NC GOP we just BARELY got over the bathroom shit and businesses are coming back to NC..."

LionPride

Banned
Bruh the NBA just decided that North Carolina can have events again then they do this shit? Just why? Does gay marriage really hurt you that much? Will your kids catch the gay?

MoxManiac

Are they trying to get this elevated to the SC with Gorsuch on the bench now? Wouldn't the lower courts slap this down before that based on precedence?

Are they trying to get this elevated to the SC with Gorsuch on the bench now? Wouldn't the lower courts slap this down before that based on precedence?

Lower courts would slap it down, and they would appeal. However, all Gorsuch does is get them back to a 5-4 loss, considering that Scalia was one of the dissenting 4 (assuming Gorsuch sides with the dissenters).

FyreWulff

it already violates the first amendment by including a bible verse in the bill. It's self destruction is built in, they want people to be on voting record for or against it.

ItIsOkBro

If a man's brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother - Mark 12:19

New Testament!

I firmly agree with historical marriage. Why should I give my daughter away without receiving a large herd of cattle in return? What am I running a charity over here?

If a man's brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother - Mark 12:19

New Testament!

Technically, old testament. Deuteronomy 25:5. In Mark, Sadducees were trying to trap Jesus into talking about eternal life.

18Then the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 19”Teacher," they said, ”Moses wrote for us that if a man's brother dies and leaves a wife but no children, the man must marry the widow and raise up offspring for his brother. 20Now there were seven brothers. The first one married and died without leaving any children. 21The second one married the widow, but he also died, leaving no child. It was the same with the third. 22In fact, none of the seven left any children. Last of all, the woman died too. 23At the resurrectionc whose wife will she be, since the seven were married to her?"

24Jesus replied, ”Are you not in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God? 25When the dead rise, they will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. 26Now about the dead rising—have you not read in the Book of Moses, in the account of the burning bush, how God said to him, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'd ? 27He is not the God of the dead, but of the living. You are badly mistaken!"

Hydrus

Good lord, why the hell do people care so much about gay marriage? Me and my family are big time catholic, and nobody gives a crap about who marries who. Does gay marriage give people who are already gay and in a relationship, super evil powers?

BriGuy

North Carolina has become some sort of testing ground for odious Republican shit. Like, it's the crap they all would love to implement, but need to float it out there first to make sure the push-back is within acceptable limits.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
The worst part is that these guys waste money on shit like this just so they can keep winning votes.. even though the GOP talks about trying save government waste.

It won't pass, but if it did, it'd be immediately struck down.

Loxley

Why stop there? Lets do something about those pesky interracial marriages.

Idiots. The majority of the country supported legalizing gay marriage before the SCOTUS ruling, it's likely even way higher by now.

As a resident of the state of North Carolina, I've gotta say this: The North Carolina GOPs are some of the most idiotic people I've ever seen.

Nevermind the blatant bigotry that they try to make and pass laws in this state just to give minorities of any kind living here any more trouble than they already have- that villainy speaks for itself imo- these people are also sheer idiots for not even considering how much this is hurting themselves in the long run.

Seriously NC GOPs- is temporarily getting in the way of Legalized Gay Marriage (a battle you're never going to win btw) really worth pushing away huge portions of the state's economy? If not an appeal to your humanity, why not consider an appeal to your own interests?

This is just a pile up to reaffirm that I got to get the fuck out of here. Rednecks driving by and calling me nigger three times last month was enough.

I wish we could have a two term democratic president who was an exceptional leader and progressive with Congress controlled by similarly strong and progressive democratics and they could force out as much of this regressive, bigoted, uncivilized, ignorant bollocks as they can. Separation of Church and State is supposed to be a foundation of our democracy yet instead we are beholden to it and held back by it.

It's infuriating, and honestly it makes me feel vindictive which is not how I want to feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom