• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina Bill Would Overturn Local LGBT Protections, Critics Say

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
What a fun day!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/dominichold...protections-cr?utm_term=.bmNyoNEEl#.fpAbrQLLZ

North Carolina lawmakers have inserted last-minute language to a bill that critics say would negate local laws that protect LGBT people from discrimination and prevent new ordinances from taking effect.

The language was added as an amendment Monday night to a bill that had previously concerned sex trafficking and rules for counselors. To become law, the bill must be ratified by the state’s House and Senate. The General Assembly legislative session is expected to end Tuesday or Wednesday.

“This came as a surprise to us,” Sarah Preston, executive director of ACLU of North Carolina, told BuzzFeed News on Tuesday. “Before the conference committee met last night, we had no idea this was being considered.”

The bill states: “No city shall have the authority to …regulate or control the employment practices of nongovernmental businesses in the jurisdiction of the city,” or “mandate or prohibit the provision of goods, services, or accommodation to any member of the public by nongovernmental businesses in the city.”

Sponsors of the language claim it provides legal uniformity for businesses across the state — a key argument used by backers of similar legislation passed in Arkansas earlier this year.

But Preston said the bill attempts to curtail LGBT protections — with far reaching effects, from housing to employment.

“We have marriage equality in this state, but a person who gets married can still get fired for being gay or lesbian,” she said, “and that is just something that needs to change in this state.”

Preston added that the bill “is trying to get at every way a locality might try to provide some protections. It’s pretty sweeping and upends protections already in place in some instances.”

The Charlotte Observer reported the last -minute language was added by Sen. Chad Barefoot and Rep. Paul Stam.

“We don’t want to have a patchwork of laws in North Carolina with regard to how businesses do what they do,” Barefoot told the Observer. “It makes it clear that North Carolina’s going to have a uniform system of commerce.”

The paper reported eight local jurisdictions have protections for LGBT people, according to the group NC Equality.

I thought Romer v. Evans, 517 U.S. 620 prevented this nonsense? Then again, Republicans/Conservatives wasting time and money isn't anything new.

Why do those who feel one their religious rights are being infringed upon want to restrict the rights of others? Coexistce can be a possibility. I just don't get it.

Why do those who feel one their religious rights are being infringed upon want to restrict the rights of others?

Well, they obviously don't see it as restricting the rights of others. In fact, they see the opposite: an expansion of rights. That is, the right for someone to make a decision about their business based on religious convictions. Namely, the right to fire LGBT people.

I know how Christians use the term "anti-Christ" but, let's be real, if you want a literal example of it, look no further than people like this. Jesus preaches love and acceptance, but thinks you should fire that gay at your store because he...he's...a gay! He wouldn't do that. Or would he? Depends whom you talk to, I guess.

Kenstar

Tied it to a bill for sex trafficking. Fucking disgusting.

And if you notice and vote against it until they separate the bill come next election cycle:

'John Raymond voted AGAINST the Sex Trafficing Bill?!? Does he really have the best interests of our young girls and wives in mind? Vote GONE for JOHN. Vote ALLEN MASON.

I'm Allen Mason, and I approve this message - he says with a poised look

thismessagepaidforbythemasoncampaign"

entremet

North Carolina went crazy town. Wow.

I remember when pollsters were thinking of it going blue. They were also attracting a lot of tech investment, but they crazy turn right has spooked a lot of investment there.

ivysaur12

Banned
North Carolina went crazy town. Wow.

I remember when pollsters were thinking of it going blue. They were also attracting a lot of tech investment, but they crazy turn right has spooked a lot of investment there.

It has been trending bluer, but it's state legislatures (and congressional seats) are gerrymandered, coupled with a higher voting efficiency with Republican voters versus Democratic voters.

My guess is that McCrory will probably threaten to veto this unless the amendment is stripped, given that he actually wants to win an election in a presidential election year in a blue-trending state.

And if you notice and vote against it until they separate the bill come next election cycle:

'John Raymond voted AGAINST the Sex Trafficing Bill?!? Does he really have the best interests of our young girls and wives in mind? Vote GONE for JOHN. Vote ALLEN MASON.

I'm Allen Mason, and I approve this message - he says with a poised look

thismessagepaidforbythemasoncampaign"

Ha, I thought the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom