• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every single Trump cabinet member so far opposes LGBT rights

Status
Not open for further replies.
The court can't just repeal rulings like that, and it's not like the makeup of the court will be any different now than it has been since the 80's
To be perfectly fair, Trump and the Republican party at large are doing things that they aren't supposed to do and they are getting away with it at nearly every turn. Hell, the FBI was/is pulling crazy shit as well.

Air

Banned
Sad but not surprising. I feel like the only people who will benefit from trump is the straight white man.

I can't really muster up the anger anymore at this point, it's just "this is the reality now".

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao
McConnell, who led opposition to LGBT rights in the chamber, voted against adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes and supported a constitutional ban of same-sex marriage.

It distracts from your point to criticize a woman for her husband's positions.

dramatis

I will say, Elaine Chao's views on this issue are not clear. It would be prudent not to assume her husband's views = Chao's views, because in that vein you're defining her by her husband.

Kusagari

Republicans make so much money funding anti-abortion so overturning those could bite them in the ass actually.

I still don't think guys like McConnell or Boehner ever wanted Roe actually overturned. They just wanted it as an eternal boogeyman.

The Tea Party wave fucked everything up by forcing their hand on matters they preferred to just use as bait.

Wedge issue politics are back with a fury. Godamit it made the 80s and 90s politics insufferable. Don't be surprised if you start hearing "moral majority" back in the lexicon.

Monocle

but mah economies

Apparently yes because Trump did not campaign to harm the lgbt community and does not seem to have any plans to.
Well I guess that means his influential cabinet definitely won't support any anti-LGBT legislation at all! We can all rest assured that the values Trump's entire cabinet shares will not affect their behavior on the job one bit.

FyreWulff

but it said right on the reddit that both candidates were the same

how can something with 1341 upvotes and 35 Gold be wrong

If we're honest with ourselves, most countries gov't are not in favor of gay rights.

USA is truly no different than anywhere else on the globe.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Sadly, this was always going to be the case the very instant another republican became president. It doesn't matter who it is. The radicalized GOP is the party of culture war, dedicated in their pandering to bigoted social conservatives and evangelical extremists.

The last 8 years have driven social conservatives and American Taliban types batshit crazy. Anyone paying attention has seen how scary they really are, seen them preparing for a delusional campaign to create a theocratic nation. So naturally any politicians towing the GOP party line are going to bend over backwards to please such people, who are their base.

If nothing else, everybody who still doesn't fucking get it is probably about to get a lesson in how hateful, crazy, and backwards much of the country really is, and why minorities such as LGBT persons were not just whining about "feelings".

Beefy

But the LGBT+ girl Trump supporter on Twitter said I was was wrong when I said Trump will treat my US LGBT+ friends like shit?

It was a fun full year of both having the option to marry in my country and not having to worry about losing said option. Shame I'm never gonna have both again, but hey, a quarter of the voting population just really wanted to believe all sides were the same, so who am I to complain right :))))

mreddie

It was a fun full year of both having the option to marry in my country and not having to worry about losing said option. Shame I'm never gonna have both again, but hey, a quarter of the voting population just really wanted to believe all sides were the same, so who am I to complain right :))))

It's not in danger yet but expect loopholes like a motherfucker like the Religious Freedom Act.

G0523

I am legitimately scared for what might happen in the next few years. Not just for the LGBT portion but for every minority in the country. I sincerely hope that the new administration doesn't have "revoke and discriminate LGBT rights" at or near the top of their list, but I still fear for everything else they're going to and/or want to do.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's not in danger yet but expect loopholes like a motherfucker like the Religious Freedom Act.

A reason why the likely loss of SCOTUS is devastating. A balanced SCOTUS would probably shoot down sleezy bills as unconstitutional pretty reliably.

I'm actually worried it will be worse than before DOMA was struck down. These fuckers are both hateful and vengeful. They will be chomping at the bit to empower individual states to harass LGBT persons into the closet and out of public view.

Sky Chief

Sessions is completely unfit for Attorney General for so many reasons. I hope GAFfers have been writing their eleected officials and telling them this.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
To this very day, I'm still totally confused as to why people actively fight to take rights away from LGBT people. Like, whatever, if you're a bigot and you do it quietly, that I can wrap my head around.

But all of this...it just seems like they're going out of their way to ruin people's lives for...what gain?

jfkgoblue

Sadly, this was always going to be the case the very instant another republican became president. It doesn't matter who it is. The radicalized GOP is the party of culture war, dedicated in their pandering to bigoted social conservatives and evangelical extremists.

The last 8 years have driven social conservatives and American Taliban types batshit crazy. Anyone paying attention has seen how scary they really are, seen them preparing for a delusional campaign to create a theocratic nation. So naturally any politicians towing the GOP party line are going to bend over backwards to please such people, who are their base.

If nothing else, everybody who still doesn't fucking get it is probably about to get a lesson in how hateful, crazy, and backwards much of the country really is, and why minorities such as LGBT persons were not just whining about "feelings".

This isn't the "radicalized" GOP, its the same view that they have always held(and Democrats held the same view until the mid 2000's) they are just more vocal about it because of the advancements made in that area.

Misha

Banned
To this very day, I'm still totally confused as to why people actively fight to take rights away from LGBT people. Like, whatever, if you're a bigot and you do it quietly, that I can wrap my head around.

But all of this...it just seems like they're going out of their way to ruin people's lives for...what gain?

They see us as the aggressors. They're just trying to restore the status quo cause they think we overstepped our boundaries

The truly sad part is that there probably was no real concerted (or at least, aimed) malice, here. The fact these people are all anti-LGBT is probably incidental as it just sort of comes with the package when you're staffing a cabinet with the sort of vile trash Trump's heaping up around himself.

I mean, I doubt anyone really said, "Make sure we fill every slot with someone who hates the gays," it probably just happens that on the road to finding the worst possible candidate for every position you run into a lot of fanatical homophobes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom