• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every single Trump cabinet member so far opposes LGBT rights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienfan

Attorney General Jeff Sessions

He fought vocally against equal marriage and discrimination protections for LGBT people, and opposed lifting the ban on openly gay people serving in the military.

Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos

She is a prominent donor to the anti-gay marriage lobby. She previously donated $200,000 in a successful bid to add an anti-gay marriage amendment to the Michigan ballot.
DeVos family organisations have also made large donations to anti-gay marriage causes – $500,000 to the National Organization for Marriage, and $100,000 to Florida4Marriage.

Secretary of Health and Human Services Tom Price
Another opponent of LGBT rights in Congress, Price is a co-sponsor of the First Amendment Defence Act, which would legalise discrimination against LGBT people on the grounds of religion.

Vice President Mike Pence
The Governor of Indiana stirred up international outrage last year when he signed Indiana’s controversial ‘Religious Freedom Restoration Act’, giving businesses the right to discriminate against gay people on the grounds of religion.
Pence claimed the law was intended to “protect” organisations from having to provide services for same-sex weddings,.
Earlier this year appeared unable to answer when asked whether it should be legal to fire people because of their sexuality.
Pence recently confirmed plans to roll back Barack Obama’s executive protections on LGBT rights, so that “the transgender bathroom issue can be resolved with common sense at the local level”.

Secretary of Transportation Elaine Chao
McConnell, who led opposition to LGBT rights in the chamber, voted against adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes and supported a constitutional ban of same-sex marriage.

White House Chief of Staff Reince Priebus

The current Chairman of the Republican National Committee, Priebus has steered the GOP into its most anti-LGBT position in decades, helping pass its most homophobic policy platform in decades.
The GOP platform opposes same-sex marriage and adoption, opposes a ban on ‘gay cure’ therapy, and supports ‘religious freedom’ laws to effectively permit anti-LGBT discrimination.
Defending the platform earlier this year, Priebus claimed that “the facts say” that children who aren’t raised by opposite-sex couples are more likely to be drawn to drugs and crime. His claim was rated false by PolitiFacts.

National Security Advisor Michael Flynn
The retired US Army Lieutenant has a history of opposing LGBT rights, recently attacking Obama administration for lifting the ban on transgender people serving in the military.

“My God, war is not about bathrooms. War is not about political correctness or words that are meaningless.”

Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley

The Governor of South Carolina initially vowed to defend her state’s ban on same-sex weddings amid a lawsuit.
She said: “The citizens of South Carolina spoke – they spoke something that I, too, believe, which is marriage should between a man and a woman. I’m going to stand by the people of this state, stand by the constitution, I’m going to support it and fight for it every step of the way.”

Haley also only agreed to endorse Mitt Romney in 2012 after checking he opposed equal marriage, confirming: “I asked him about family and he believes that marriage should be between a man and a woman.”

But hey guys, "we should give him a chance", right?! After all he said he wouldn't personally overturn gay marriage and held this flag up once, we're going to be fine!! /s
Source for more
58177a15150000d804530d10.jpeg

It's hard to say whether he's a willfully evil man or just too lazy and stupid to be cognizant of the degree of evil he facilitates with his negligence. It's even harder to say which is worse.

Roubjon

They are all a bunch of fuckers. The anxiety and stress these four years are going to bring and have already caused is awful.

Platy

It's hard to say whether he's a willfully evil man or just too lazy and stupid to be cognizant of the degree of evil he facilitates with his negligence. It's even harder to say which is worse.

At this point I expect a twirling mustache at any time

Speevy

Banned
Give him a chance. He's draining the swamp.

And by swamp, I mean you.

And by drain, I mean he's going to round you up and kill you.

Family values is the Republican code word for homophobia. I wish media outlets would fucking call them out on their double speak horse shit.

hypernima

Banned
But what about Twinks for Trump? Was he not for LGBTQ rights? I wonder how LGBTQ voters for him feel, or maybe they think it won't affect them.

Aren't almost* all Republicans of any significance anti-LGBT because they'd get crucified by the religious vote otherwise ?

*I know there are a few who are better because of LGBT family and a few who are better because they managed to get elected in Democratic strong holds.

Speevy

Banned
He's made good on his promise. He'll stop the foreign Muslim terrorists from messing with gay people so real Americans can.

mreddie

How many of those gave out thoughts and prayers when Orlando happened and still went after the community after that?

Yoda

I doubt we'll see any legislation curtailing LGBT rights, but the SCOTUS pick might be a different story :/

I feel like I can't stand any more Trump anything. I'm fucking disgusted by him and his candidacy, and his soon to be presidency.

Fuck this time line. Seriously depressing.

Aren't almost* all Republicans of any significance anti-LGBT because they'd get crucified by the religious vote otherwise ?

*I know there are a few who are better because of LGBT family and a few who are better because they managed to get elected in Democratic strong holds.
There's, uh, Huntsman who was for LGBT rights without having any LGBT family members afaik, and he's from Utah so it probably wasn't political pressures. He's shitty in other ways though.

I know people who claim "but he is the first Republican candidate to openly support the LGBTQ community". Lol, not if he puts people in his cabinet who are absolutely not supportive if the community.

Blader

I don't even understand Flynn's statement in the OP. Frankly, as long as we're running a volunteer military with a shortage of soldiers, turning away anyone willing to serve and possibly die for their country just because they're gay or transgender seems especially absurd to me.

Don't these idiots have anything better to do than harm the LGBT community?

Don't worry, there'll be plenty of time to harm every community.

Phreaker

"but he held up a LGBTs for Trump flag at a rally." literally heard that from a Trump surrogate on CNN the other day as proof that he wasn't anti-gay.

I'm not surprised, but honestly what is the worst they could do regarding LGBT rights?

I'm basically expecting Obergefell v. Hodges, Roe v. Wade, and Loving v. Virginia to be overturned in 2017 if for some idiotic reason we let Trump/Pence be super-dictator of the United States.

If not, they'll just skirt around it by passing FADA or something else equally horrible, basically legalizing all discrimination for religious reasons.

jfkgoblue

I'm basically expecting Obergefell v. Hodges, Roe v. Wade, and Loving v. Virginia to be overturned in 2017 if for some idiotic reason we let Trump/Pence be super-dictator of the United States.

If not, they'll just skirt around it by passing FADA or something else equally horrible, basically legalizing all discrimination for religious reasons.
The court can't just repeal rulings like that, and it's not like the makeup of the court will be any different now than it has been since the 80's

mreddie

Republicans make so much money funding anti-abortion so overturning those could bite them in the ass actually.

Kthulhu

Both parties are the same it's why I'm so proud of myself for voting third party.

The irony of this statement is that until Trump came around the libertarian and green parties were they worst in the country. Now they are tied for second place.

How many of those gave out thoughts and prayers when Orlando happened and still went after the community after that?

Probably as all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom