• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 14th Gen CPUs to be released on the 17th of October

winjer

Gold Member

The Intel 14th Gen Core desktop lineup is scheduled to be announced in just over a week. However, in its usual manner, Intel won’t release the CPUs to the market for another month.

Our sources indicate that Intel plans to launch the new series on October 17th, which is when the CPUs will become available for purchase, and reviews are expected to go live. A day earlier, on October 16th, Intel has imposed an ‘ad’ embargo, suggesting that we may hear more about potential preorders from retail partners.

It’s important to note that this release date encompasses only six models, specifically the K and KF-series, including the Core i9-14900K (24-cores), Core i7-14700K (20-cores), and Core i5-14600K (16-cores), along with their respective KF variants lacking integrated graphics support. All of these are unlocked 125W TDP models, with non-K series variants featuring TDPs of 65W and lower expected to arrive around CES 2024 next year.

Intel is gearing up to announce the Raptor Lake Refresh series at Innovation 2023, now scheduled for September 19th. The company is expected to unveil several other products, including the mobile Core 100 Ultra lineup, codenamed “Meteor Lake,” and possibly some mobile rebrands from the Raptor Lake Refresh series. Additionally, there are expectations that Intel might provide updates on Arc GPUs, especially given the availability of the new ACM-G12 GPU, and the delayed launch of its Arc A580 GPU for almost a year.

YZmdOjX.jpg

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
If the C0 14400 is real, that thing is gonna fly off the shelves.

6P + 8e for ~200 dollars.

Thats perfect for a "budget" gaming/content creation build.
Yes its AlderLake but its still a ton of cores and basically only 3-5% down true RaptorLake cores.

Otherwise for gaming it looks like the 14600 non-K is gonna be a beast.

5.2 GHz boost off the jump....Intel is trying to kill their K chips arent they?

nkarafo

What's with those DDR5 speed differences? DDR5 modules can go above 6000mhz. So what are those low speeds on the spreadsheet? It clearly states that some chips support faster speeds than others and 4800 is pretty much the base speed for DDR5.

Elysium44

Banned
What's with those DDR5 speed differences? DDR5 modules can go above 6000mhz. So what are those low speeds on the spreadsheet? It clearly states that some chips support faster speeds than others and 4800 is pretty much the base speed for DDR5.

Intel always do that, the officially supported memory speeds are very conservative, but motherboards allow you to 'overclock' significantly higher.

so the ones to get are 15th gen. if you have 13th gen then there's no point upgrading and if you have an older system and wanting to upgrade now then just get a 13th gen or wait for 15th.

the speeds that RAM is advertised at is usually considered an overclock by cpu/motherboard vendors.

i bought ram advertised as 6000 but it don't run at that when you put it in. and on my board anything above 5200 is an overclock.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
I'm on Comet Lake (10th gen) which I upgraded to from 4th gen (i7-4790K to i5-10600). Other than getting two more cores, it was almost a sideways move. It was just at the end of Intel's long period of Skylake stagnation. If I'd known they'd end up making another big leap forward I'd have hung on until 12th gen.

Having said that, this chip is still good enough for me and I'm in no hurry to change until something that amazes me comes along. Preferably with sensible power consumption, which seems to have taken off after 10th gen. Comet Lake is very frugal and my machine is silent or near silent all the time.

Black_Stride

B0 and C0 are RaptorLake and AlderLake which supported different DDR5 speeds.

Anything above the JEDEC speed of 4800 is considered overclocking.

AlderLake (C0) was Intels first foray into DDR5, they couldnt guarantee chips would handle speeds much higher, so the "rated" speed is the JEDEC standard.
(B0) they were pretty comfortable with chips hitting 5600 every time no worries.
Buyer beware if you get a 7000 kit but Intel says the chip is rated for 4800.

Its basically like how they have a boost clock on the CPU that says 5.2GHz, but the K chips can go higher......they dont guarantee the chips will go to 5.5Ghz or 6.0GHz, but they might.....they do guarantee you 5.2 though (thermals allowing).

They are just covering their bases so people dont complain that a 7000 kit doesnt work with their CPU, but their buddy has a golden sample of the same CPU that does 7000....they will just tell you we rated it for 5600 anything over that is luck of the draw.

so the ones to get are 15th gen. if you have 13th gen then there's no point upgrading and if you have an older system and wanting to upgrade now then just get a 13th gen or wait for 15th.
Likely isnt going to be a 15th gen.
The next desktop CPUs are using a new naming scheme Core Ultra xxx
And yes its expected to be a decent upgrade over AlderLake.

Realistically you dont need to upgrade CPUs often.....you should get atleast 5 years out of your CPU.
The only reason im looking at 14th gen is cuz i got a 12400 as a stop-gap CPU.....but the thing has been trucking on so now imma look at a higher core count 13th or 14th gen depending on price differences.

B0 and C0 are RaptorLake and AlderLake which supported different DDR5 speeds.

Anything above the JEDEC speed of 4800 is considered overclocking.

AlderLake (C0) was Intels first foray into DDR5, they couldnt guarantee chips would handle speeds much higher, so the "rated" speed is the JEDEC standard.
(B0) they were pretty comfortable with chips hitting 5600 every time no worries.
Buyer beware if you get a 7000 kit but Intel says the chip is rated for 4800.

Its basically like how they have a boost clock on the CPU that says 5.2GHz, but the K chips can go higher......they dont guarantee the chips will go to 5.5Ghz or 6.0GHz, but they might.....they do guarantee you 5.2 though (thermals allowing).

They are just covering their bases so people dont complain that a 7000 kit doesnt work with their CPU, but their buddy has a golden sample of the same CPU that does 7000....they will just tell you we rated it for 5600 anything over that is luck of the draw.

Likely isnt going to be a 15th gen.
The next desktop CPUs are using a new naming scheme Core Ultra xxx
And yes its expected to be a decent upgrade over AlderLake.

Realistically you dont need to upgrade CPUs often.....you should get atleast 5 years out of your CPU.
The only reason im looking at 14th gen is cuz i got a 12400 as a stop-gap CPU.....but the thing has been trucking on so now imma look at a higher core count 13th or 14th gen depending on price differences.
I'm not familar with intels roadmap or naming (i do know it was changing). all i meant by 15th gen is whatever comes after these new CPUs :)

i upgrade my CPU every 3-4 years but that's just a personal preference. i could've got more out my 6700K and 9900K.

some games are starting to use more than 8 cores so i'm not sure i'd want to upgrade to an 8 core cpu. a 10/12/16 is the better option. the way Intel deals with cores now confuses me so maybe I'm misunderstanding them but it seems like the 14th gen will only have 8 cores for performance and the other cores for normal usage or do the efficiency cores also affect gaming performance? maybe the next cpus will go to 10-16 performance?

Last edited:

Tsaki

They are JEDEC speeds. That's what the CPUs "officially" support. The same is present to AMD. Speeds above it are considered overclocked. If you go with higher speeds, Intel bears no responsibility.

Black_Stride

I'm not familar with intels roadmap or naming (i do know it was changing). all i meant by 15th gen is whatever comes after these new CPUs :)

i upgrade my CPU every 3-4 years but that's just a personal preference. i could've got more out my 6700K and 9900K.

some games are starting to use more than 8 cores so i'm not sure i'd want to upgrade to an 8 core cpu. a 10/12/16 is the better option. the way Intel deals with cores now confuses me so maybe I'm misunderstanding them but it seems like the 14th gen will only have 8 cores for performance and the other cores for normal usage or do the efficiency cores also affect gaming performance? maybe the next cpus will go to 10-16 performance?
e cores have near no baring on gaming performance, their main purpose is for background tasks.
I think only Cyberpunk actually uses them for anything, most games will park themselves on the P cores and call it a day.
In fact Cyberpunk is pretty much the only game that actually spreads itself on as many cores as possible.

The current king of the hill for gaming is the 7800X3D.....it only has 8 cores.....it beats the 12 core 7900X3D and beats the 16 core 7950X3D.
But honestly at this power level the % differences are almost entirely academic, you could be on a 6 core budget 12th gen CPU and still power through 99% of games no problem, if 60fps is all you need then its practically a flat frametime graph.

I would know, I use a 12400 paired with an RTX 3080.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

Flyinmunky

I'm on a 2700X ,16gb 3200 ,1080ti, b450 tomahawk but only at 1080p currently.
Want to to upgrade or maybe full new build , Looking to jump to 1440p, want to stay with Nvidia so probably a 4080.
Thinking of just slapping a 5800x3d and new cooler in with a 4080 and call it a day. Probably cost around £1400.

Can save the money I would have spent on new build and get 1440p monitor.

Klik

Lets hope next year 15th series i5 15600 will come with 8 cores.

I5 15600k+RTX 5080 could be perfect and futureproof for 1440p 144hz for many years. Especially with DLSS 3.5.

I have i5 12400 + rtx 3060 ti and still running games at 1440p high settings around 70-80fps,Starfield around 60fps.

But my PC is definitely not ready for UE5 games

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
e cores have near no baring on gaming performance, their main purpose is for background tasks.
I think only Cyberpunk actually uses them for anything, most games will park themselves on the P cores and call it a day.
In fact Cyberpunk is pretty much the only game that actually spreads itself on as many cores as possible.

The current king of the hill for gaming is the 7800X3D.....it only has 8 cores.....it beats the 12 core 7900X3D and beats the 16 core 7950X3D.
But honestly at this power level the % differences are almost entirely academic, you could be on a 6 core budget 12th gen CPU and still power through 99% of games no problem, if 60fps is all you need then its practically a flat frametime graph.

I would know, I use a 12400 paired with an RTX 3080.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png
I have read that sometimes you can get better gaming performance if you disable the e-cores all together. Ultimately I switched from my 12700K to a 7700X and then to a 7800X3D and haven't looked back. I love the power tuning I can do with my 7800X3D and the fact that my X670E should last several generations.

Black_Stride

Disappointed feelings continue.

They are going to get run over by AMD for a while.

Wait were people disappointed with AlderLake and RaptorLake?

Cuz Intel still running the SteamSurveys and 136K is like 85% of a 7800X3D in gaming and beats every non-X3D CPU.

With this coming "generation" more non-K chips are also going to be B0 stepping so budget CPUs are gonna be competing with AMDs 7700Xs.

Lets hope next year 15th series i5 15600 will come with 8 cores.

I5 15600k+RTX 5080 could be perfect and futureproof for 1440p 144hz for many years. Especially with DLSS 3.5.

I have i5 12400 + rtx 3060 ti and still running games at 1440p high settings around 70-80fps,Starfield around 60fps.

But my PC is definitely not ready for UE5 games

Your 12400 would probably still get you to around 60.
If you want to stay with this socket you could upgraded to a B0 13th or 14th gen then upgrade your GPU.
B0 CPUs even the lowest ones are like 80 - 85% of the literal fastest CPU you could buy.

Black_Stride

Well I guess I will stay am5 with my 7950x3d for now

Hahahaha were you even seriously considering switching from AM5 to the older LGA1700?

While the 14900K and 14700K are likely to be faster than the 7950X3D its gonna be by something like 5% at best.
So not worth it....and with AM5 you can get 8950X3D down the line.

Black_Stride

How much will one of these cost me including motherboard and 32GB of memory?
It's got to be better than my i7-3770, right?

LGA1700 motherboards are old so relatively cheap right now.
150 for a decent one, around 200 for a good one, much higher than that and you arent gaining anything, unless theres specific niche parts you need a ~200 dollar motherboard will do everything you need it to
32GB of DDR4 is like 70 dollars.
32GB of DDR5, a good kit at that will be closer to 100 dollars

The CPU well depends on what level of performance you are looking for and what your use case is.
Im expecting 14400 to be ~200 dollars
The golden child of the lot (IMO) the 14600 probably around 250.
Above that I dont look at those CPUs because overclocking for me lost its fun when all im gaining is 200Mhz but also thermally throttling the moment I open the start menu.
The e cores in the non-K chips give me performance well above the chips weight class so i dont need to look at i7s or i9s.

small_law

Meh, will continue to ride it out with my 10700k and wait for whatever new architecture comes in 2024
Uni
Meh, will continue to ride it out with my 10700k and wait for whatever new architecture comes in 2024
Yeah this ain't the upgrade year for me either. 5950X is carrying on well enough. I'd like to have DDR5, but timings might get tighter in another year.

Next year's a big year. New graphics card, pro consoles, probably new CPU, mobo, etc.

LGA1700 motherboards are old so relatively cheap right now.
150 for a decent one, around 200 for a good one, much higher than that and you arent gaining anything, unless theres specific niche parts you need a ~200 dollar motherboard will do everything you need it to
32GB of DDR4 is like 70 dollars.
32GB of DDR5, a good kit at that will be closer to 100 dollars

The CPU well depends on what level of performance you are looking for and what your use case is.
Im expecting 14400 to be ~200 dollars
The golden child of the lot (IMO) the 14600 probably around 250.
Above that I dont look at those CPUs because overclocking for me lost its fun when all im gaining is 200Mhz but also thermally throttling the moment I open the start menu.
The e cores in the non-K chips give me performance well above the chips weight class so i dont need to look at i7s or i9s.
This is actually a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

nikos

AM4 - 5800X3D
AM5 - 7800X3D

Till ArrowLake theres no need to switch from AMD to Intel.

I just switched to AMD two days ago. Never thought I would do it. I waited for Intel 14th gen when I got my 4090 last year because I read that it would probably be on a new socket.

I didn't want to buy into a chipset that won't be supported next year, as I didn't last year, so I looked to the other side and ended up with a 7800X3D.

Still feels weird but AM5 should be around for at least a couple of years, which is nice.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

This is actually a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

The most expensive component in almost all gaming PCs is the GPU.
If you are building a system and already have a GPU and/or dont need a frikken 4090 PC gaming isnt as expensive as people will have you believe it is.
K and X chips are practically useless now so theres almost never a reason to shell out for 14600K or 7700X when the non-K and non-X variants are within spitting distance.

No you dont need that 4090 you can float the generation with a 4070 or 7800XT.
Hell if you are willing to play at 1080p internal you could even go down much much lower in price.

I just switched to AMD two days ago. Never thought I would do it. I waited for Intel 14th gen when I got my 4090 last year because I read that it would probably be on a new socket.

I didn't want to buy into a chipset that won't be supported next year, as I didn't last year, so I looked to the other side and ended up with a 7800X3D.

Still feels weird but AM5 should be around for at least a couple of years, which is nice.

I got into LGA1700 early and i might jump on LGA1851 when PantherLake arrives but thats many years down the line, I dont need to worry about that.

My motto to customers; never look at benchmarks for another CPU that isnt on your socket so you dont get FOMO, when your CPU starts to hold you back, start looking at benchmarks and decide.

Black_Stride

Uni

Yeah this ain't the upgrade year for me either. 5950X is carrying on well enough. I'd like to have DDR5, but timings might get tighter in another year.

Next year's a big year. New graphics card, pro consoles, probably new CPU, mobo, etc.

Intel releases new CPUs every year.
AMD every two years now with X3Ds interspersed so basically every year.
Nvidia is not releasing the RTX50s next year, they have delayed them cuz the RTX40s are beasts and AMD didnt bring enough competish, hell they cancelled the 4090Ti/Titan cuz whats the point.
RDNA4 wont even have high end options cuz AMD have conceded defeat.
Intel is the only GPU to look forward to next year....assuming Battlemage makes it for next year.

small_law

Intel releases new CPUs every year.
AMD every two years now with X3Ds interspersed so basically every year.
Nvidia is not releasing the RTX50s next year, they have delayed them cuz the RTX40s are beasts and AMD didnt bring enough competish, hell they cancelled the 4090Ti/Titan cuz whats the point.
RDNA4 wont even have high end options cuz AMD have conceded defeat.
Intel is the only GPU to look forward to next year....assuming Battlemage makes it for next year.
I didn't mean in terms of releases, I meant for me personally. I'm good with waiting on the 50 series even if it's 2 years from now. I'll just do CPU/mobo next year in that case.

Everything is on the table with my next build actually. I've gone back and forth between Intel and AMD for CPU, so we'll see whatever's out at the time. I agree with you about AMD GPUs though. I wasn't crazy about the 5700 XT I picked up as an open box at micro center years ago.

Admerer

Is this CPU really necessary? The 13700k and 13900k are already very competitive with AMD's best. Unless Intel has a trick up it's sleeve (performance wise), a refresh, just to have a refresh seems like a waste.

Performance will be good, really great even. But to match AMD in gaming (within a few percent of the 7000-series X3D parts) these will use twice the power.

Absolute no brainer to go with AMD for that massive caveat.

Black_Stride

Will any of these threaten the crown of the 7800x3d for gaming you think?

Well the 13900K is on average only 5% slower than the 7800X3D.....if these are 5% faster in gaming then........

But realistically no.
ArrowLake is the only time we are gonna see anything really besting the 7800X3D.
Is this CPU really necessary? The 13700k and 13900k are already very competitive with AMD's best. Unless Intel has a trick up it's sleeve (performance wise), a refresh, just to have a refresh seems like a waste.
Intel releases a new CPU "generation" every year regardless.
MeteorLake for desktop got cancelled so they had to release something.
A refresh was the best they could do on short notice.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
So I'm gonna do a core upgrade in the next few weeks. had slated for a i7-13700K -- should I wait the few weeks for i4700K? Wait for reviews? See what the price dif is?

(And before anyone says go with the AMD -- I don't use this PC for gaming only -- I'd like better non-gaming performance than a bit of a gaming upgrade)

smbu2000

It allows Intel to increase the price of their CPUs. I think there was a previous thread that said Intel was raising prices 15% or so compared to the 13th gen.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So I'm gonna do a core upgrade in the next few weeks. had slated for a i7-13700K -- should I wait the few weeks for i4700K? Wait for reviews? See what the price dif is?

(And before anyone says go with the AMD -- I don't use this PC for gaming only -- I'd like better non-gaming performance than a bit of a gaming upgrade)
I would wait. The 14700k is supposed to have additional cores over the 13700k and is the only interesting product of the new lineup imho.

Sanepar

Well the 13900K is on average only 5% slower than the 7800X3D.....if these are 5% faster in gaming then........

But realistically no.
ArrowLake is the only time we are gonna see anything really besting the 7800X3D.

Intel releases a new CPU "generation" every year regardless.
MeteorLake for desktop got cancelled so they had to release something.
A refresh was the best they could do on short notice.
But when ArrowLake comes 8800X3D will be coming too.

Top Bottom