• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 14th Gen - Review Thread

winjer

Gold Member
mrVetMv.jpg

Today is the release date for the 14th Gen Intel CPUs.

relative-performance-games-1920-1080.png

power-games.png

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

14th gen on desktop is uninteresting, not much change and 15th gen iirc will debut a new socket, so unless you really need to buy now

However, I'm very excited about 14th gen Meteor Lake on laptop, with a 50% efficiency gain it should bring the battery life battle right back to AMD, and 2x the GPU perf per watt. Someone should even be able to make a Deck/Ally competitor out of it, maybe even a fanless Macbook Air one.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I thought 14th gen might end up being something competitive, but this is nothing absolutely nothing. I had hoped they might be more efficient, but not even that. WTF!!

The good news is that anyone who bought a 13 series CPU will not have any buyers remorse whatsoever.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Would a 1kw psu be enough for the 14900k (or even 14700k) with an rtx 4090? That power draw looks crazy...

Last edited:

Leonidas

Almost 3x power consumption for worse gaming performance. Why they even released this, it's pretty much the same as 13 series. Old tech.
It beats Zen4 and Raptor Lake.

And it beats 2 of the 3 Zen4 3D CPUs. 7800 X3D is slightly faster, but even a 13600K is faster than 7800 X3D when it comes to MT applications. There is no single ultimate CPU this generation.

13th Gen was already great, 14th Gen is a little faster and uses less power vs. 13th Gen (depending on the BIOS).

I thought 14th gen might end up being something competitive, but this is nothing absolutely nothing. I had hoped they might be more efficient, but not even that. WTF!!

The good news is that anyone who bought a 13 series CPU will not have any buyers remorse whatsoever.
The 14600K uses less power than 13600K despite being clocked higher. BIOS version makes a lot of difference in power consumption too, on a launch BIOS my 13th Gen CPU was pulling around 20% more watts than a recent BIOS. My current 13th Gen BIOS is pulling around 30 watts less than some reviews I saw today.

I am a 13th Gen owner so I don't feel remorse, but I would rather have a 14th Gen CPU than 13th Gen CPU due to the better silicon quality (multiple reviews are reporting higher OC potential than 13th Gen).

Would a 1kw psu be enough for the 14900k (or even 14700k) with an rtx 4090?
Yes.

Last edited:

Quixz

And it beats 2 of the 3 Zen4 3D CPUs. 7800 X3D is slightly faster, but even a 13600K is faster than 7800 X3D when it comes to MT applications. There is no single ultimate CPU this generation.

13th Gen was already great, 14th Gen is a little faster and uses less power vs. 13th Gen (depending on the BIOS).

The 14600K uses less power than 13600K despite being clocked higher. BIOS version makes a lot of difference in power consumption too, on a launch BIOS my 13th Gen CPU was pulling around 20% more watts than a recent BIOS. My current 13th Gen BIOS is pulling around 30 watts less than some reviews I saw today.

I am a 13th Gen owner so I don't feel remorse, but I would rather have a 14th Gen CPU than 13th Gen CPU due to the better silicon quality (multiple reviews are reporting higher OC potential than 13th Gen).

Yes.
For the rest of us who only use our gaming rigs for gaming, the 7800X3D is still at the top with performance and efficiency.

Quixz

7800 X3D is a great gaming CPU, I just couldn't see myself spending $370+ on a CPU with only 8 cores.

And while it is faster in the majority games, it also does suffer some big losses in games that matter, such as losing by around 20% in Starfield.
I'd say wins in Cyberpunk matter a little more as it's more relevant to the current generation.

Let's wait for the 15th Gen and 8000 series.

Bojji

7800 X3D is a great gaming CPU, I just couldn't see myself spending $370+ on a CPU with only 8 cores.

And while it is faster in the majority games, it also does suffer some big losses in games that matter, such as losing by around 20% in Starfield.

Starfield runs on ancient engine so it's an anomaly in 2023.

Most games are also very light in multithread so you won't really need more than 8/16 CPU in foreseeable future.

Leonidas

Starfield runs on ancient engine so it's an anomaly in 2023.

Most games are also very light in multithread so you won't really need more than 8/16 CPU in foreseeable future.
It just feels like a rip off for me to spend $370+ on an 8 Core CPU. I remember picking up 8 Cores Zen/Zen+ CPUs 4-5 years ago for like $150 a pop. 8-Core is budget tier core counts.

Yes, 8/16 is probably enough, but then again so is 6/12 since consoles only use Zen2 cores which are weak by todays PC standards.

If an R7 is losing to a cheaper i5 in MT, it doesn't look good...

Eotheod

Glad I went with the 7800X3D last month, especially because the next chip should be on the same socket. I would’ve been stuck with a dead socket if I waited for Intel 14th gen, and for mostly worse gaming performance.
Same here, just did a purchase last week. Going from a 3900XT it is going to be a massive boost.

Yes.

I'd figure you'd be the one defending it.

FireFly

So like the Zen 2 days then? Only because Intel is behind in gaming performance this time, MT is what really counts now.

It's funny because I checked the benchmarks again for the 3700X and the 9700K was like 5% faster in games at 1080p, while the 3700X was ~10% faster in applications. Now the 14600K is that same ~10% faster in applications vs. the 7800 X3D and the 7800 X3D is ~14% faster in games! So all for the flak Zen 2 got for poor gaming performance, the differential in the midrange is even wider this time in favour of AMD, with the X3D parts.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
Meh I just still don't trust Intel to support its sockets for as long as AMD does (even if they did need a bit of a push to support the older AM4 boards).

nkarafo

Thats it, after 20 years of being an intel customer i think it's time to go with AMD this time. After the idiotic P/E cores design and this, it's impossible to find an excuse to stay with them. Why do i want to stay with them you ask? Because i assume their IPC is better, which means they are better for emulators. But even that is debatable now.

I bought a PC with an Intel i5-13600KF last December and I couldn't be happier with it. It has been absolutely phenomenal with every game I have played this year and a massive improvement on my previous CPU which was an almost ten year-old Intel i7-4770K (I certainly got my money's worth out of that!). The i5 strikes a perfect balance between performance and power usage. It was the reason I opted it for it over the i7-13700K which would have been the logical upgrade from my i7-4770K.

The new 14th gen CPUs are predictably underwhelming and there's really no reason for anyone on a 13th gen processor to bother upgrading.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I recently upgraded my main gaming/office/work rig and went with a 7800x3d. I am very surprised how cool it runs and how much more quiet it is compared to my old Intel i7. Admittedly I also upgraded the CPU cooler but I am very happy so far. 64 GB DDR5 also helps.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I recently upgraded my main gaming/office/work rig and went with a 7800x3d. I am very surprised how cool it runs and how much more quiet it is compared to my old Intel i7. Admittedly I also upgraded the CPU cooler but I am very happy so far. 64 GB DDR5 also helps.
Yep my 7950x3D is running so cool compared to my last 2 i9

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Jesus Christ, why are gamers such drama queens?

“I have been a loyal Intel customer for 25 years but this…. this is the last straw. Releasing a CPU that performs slightly worse than their competition in some workloads while consuming more power? That’s it, I’m changing my allegiance to the RED TEAM and never looking back!”

For fuck’s sake it’s a CPU not a religion. Buy whatever gives you the best bang for your buck within your price range. Today for gaming 7800X3D is the clear winner. In the future there will be times when Intel is the better choice.

This shouldn’t trigger a crisis within you that causes you to question your identity and sense of self worth.

Schmendrick

Ouch. Anyone with half a brain who`s not tethered to any company contracts with intel is sure to avoid this CPU gen completely. The last time I´ve seen such utterly terrible values on release of a new gen was with AMD`s Bulldozer architecture......

Last edited:
Our very first home pc had an Intel 8086 in it, a "top of the line" IBM. It had a few things I'd never seen before, a "full color" EGA display, a 3 1/2inch floppy drive, and some new fangled thingy called a hard drive with a whopping 20 mb storage space.
I had it stuffed full of Sierra games, it was awesome.

Also, man, I'm old.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yes but I also don’t need a space heater in my office in the winter.

Top Bottom