• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leak - Intel 14900KS Limited Edition - 6.2Ghz, +400W, +100Cº

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
replace my furnace or get this….
Kombucha No But GIF

Celcius

°Temp. member
That estimated $800 price is oof
I reaaaally hope 15th gen runs a lot cooler and more efficient.

simpatico

Have we really lost all finesse when it comes to designing processors? Seems like now they just look for ways to use more brute force

Puscifer

The CPU market is a disaster. You either go Intel and need a thermonuclear reactor just to power your PC while gaming, or you go AMD and have massively increased idle power draw compared to Intel. My 7950x3D at idle draws almost 30w more than my Intel rig does when just browsing the web and watching streams. It's not 400w, but the amount of time my PC is doing light work and sucking down a lot more power probably makes up for it. Not to mention this shit is super flaky, I've had 3 freaking burnt CPU memory controllers already and had to RMA my motherboard and CPU twice already. This last pair I'm just gonna run into the ground and when I swap them out I'm done with these CPUs. Problem is, where do I go because 400w house fire CPUs isn't it. What a mess.
Turn on eco mode, thank me later. 7600x

CPU draw =/= Full System Draw at idle

Moses85

With the horrendous electricity prices in Germany, it is unaffordable or you will immediately become privately bankrupt

With the horrendous electricity prices in Germany, it is unaffordable or you will immediately become privately bankrupt
Does Germany have the 240 volt plugs? You get more power to the plug.

15Amp 120 Volt circuit gives me 1800 Watts of total power from the wall.
I just bought one of those Corsair 1200X Shift PSU with the cables on the side.
Thats 500 watts for a GPU, 500 Watts for a CPU and 200 Watts for anything else in my little PC.

I only have 600 watts left for my Surround system and my TV.
Do I dare plug in that controller charging dock?

Turn on eco mode, thank me later. 7600x

CPU draw =/= Full System Draw at idle

Eco mode doesn't help idle power draw being increased from the chiplet design not to mention their garbage memory controllers using so much power thanks to the SoC voltage jumping way up to make EXPO stable. AMD sucks, I'm so mad at myself for buying them this time around. Last time was 2010 and I vowed never to do it again but here we are. Waste of money, time, energy and stress.

Honestly regert getting my 13900k. Shit always hits dam near 100c when gaming at 4k 120hz. Sometimes it even crashes my games because the software doesn't reconcile the thermal throttling.

I went in and undervolted it and basically turned it into a 12900k performance wise to get the temps down.

This is with a 360MM AIO water system too.

Admerer

Honestly regert getting my 13900k. Shit always hits dam near 100c when gaming at 4k 120hz. Sometimes it even crashes my games because the software doesn't reconcile the thermal throttling.

I went in and undervolted it and basically turned it into a 12900k performance wise to get the temps down.

This is with a 360MM AIO water system too.
Doesn't sound right, gaming workload shouldn't be that high, get a contact frame and a high quality thermal paste and try again.

marjo

Name checks out ;)

Kind of interested myself.

Power draw doesn’t concern me being on full solar curious if heat can be contained
What do you mean by contained? Any heat generated will end up in your room (unless you have a water cool loop that has a tube leading to a heat exchanger outside your house).

Intel TDP's are hilarious. The 14900K is rated at 125W, draws ~400W?

And Intel really thinks they are going to make headway in chips for AI, when the competitor chips using ARM or Nvidia GPU's draw a fraction of that under AI workloads. surejan.gif

peish

My full gaming PC runs around 450w and that already turns my room into a heater.

It is about making your life uncomfortably warm

But intel cpu runs only 130-180w when you play games over clock, so only 100w more than amd at worst case

Doesn't sound right, gaming workload shouldn't be that high, get a contact frame and a high quality thermal paste and try again.
Ive repasted it many times with various highly regarded pastes and same. 13 series just run hot. I limited TPD to 200w and that helped but im hitting power limits instead of thermal.

Nydius

410W for just the CPU?

I really am not looking forward to the future where new PC builds will need paperwork filed with the Nuclear Regulatory Commission to properly license the power supplies we’re gonna need.

winjer

Gold Member

Originally, with its metal heat spreader still on, the processor reached speeds up to 5.90 GHz during a test using Cinebench 2024, consuming a lot of power (376 watts) as reported by the computer's motherboard, and getting quite hot at 85°C. This was all while using a special cooling system called a Deepcool LS720 SE 360 mm AIO CLC. When Pakhtunov removed the metal cover and ran the same test, the processor didn't get as hot, reaching only 75°C, and it used slightly less power, drawing 366 watts.

He also ran another demanding test called Y-cruncher. With the metal cover on, the processor's speed boosted to 5.90 GHz, used even more power (432 watts), and got up to 89°C. After removing the cover, it cooled down a bit to 82°C and used less power at 409 watts. It's important to note that when the metal cover was off, Pakhtunov applied a special liquid-metal thermal material directly on the processor, which helped with the cooling. This testing shows that removing the metal cover from the processor can help it run cooler and use less power during intense tasks, thanks to better heat transfer between the processor and the cooling system.

smbu2000

360 AIO barely able to cool it? Wow! De-lidding and using liquid metal only bringing it down 10C. Intel really turned up the heat.

//DEVIL//

well

well u should FO with that CoD anyways :p
Yeah I stopped playing it. I don't know why all the sudden after MS bought them I got allergic

Kidding . Its just it's stopped being fun for some reason. Not sure if it's the cheating or the match making. But it's frustrating. Add to the fact I am enjoying hell divers 2, Tekken 8 on PC and final fantasy 7 rebirth and I barely have time for anything

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Just a reminder of how Intel high end CPU's are PIECES OF SHIT

Coming from a 20 year run with Intel and hoping for better days, Intel supporters these days should rethink their position.

The numbers always look good when you throw power that most of us have money to pay for in this beautifully great economy AND live in the frozen tundra that is Florida.

Last edited:
I mocked AMD to hell and back when they claimed their new chipsets were "fine" at 95°C.
I see no reason to do otherwise now that it's Intel.
I mean, is being hot causing issues for either camp? I think we are experiencing the limitations of Ohms law on x86. Until they start making chips differently, heat will always come into play.

Top Bottom