• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OneXPlayer X1 New Intel Meteor Lake Handheld Starts at $859 US

Bernoulli

M2 slut
S3rlxjU.jpg

First and foremost, let's dive into details about the onboard CPUs, which are none other than Intel's Core Ultra 7 155H and Core Ultra 7 125H, both of which are seen as the next processors to dominate handheld markets due to the performance per watt ratio they feature. In terms of specifications, the Core Ultra 7 155H features 16 cores in a 6+8+2 configuration, 22 threads, a base clock of 3.8 GHz a boost clock of up to 4.8 GHz, 24 MB of L3 cache, and a 28W TDP. The Core Ultra 7 125H, features a 14-core design with 18 threads, a 3.6 GHz base clock, and a 4.5 GHz boost clock. It carries 20 MB of cache & is configured at a 28W TDP.

OneXPlayer X1 has all the goodies present in it, and another interesting area to delve into is the handheld's onboard display. It features a 10.95-inch 2.5K LTPS display with a maximum resolution of 2560 x 1600 pixels along with a 120Hz refresh rate and 540 nit brightness. The display also comes with a 138% sRGB color gamut, ensuring that whether it is gaming or media consumption, a consumer gets the most out of the display.

Ozriel

M$FT
Might have been better to put the 11 inch display size in the title since that’s probably why the prices are much higher than average.

Seems more like a tablet with controllers than a handheld.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Looool 2049$ for a handheld!!! The only way to sell this thing is to put the Apple logo on it.
That has 64GB of RAM and 4TB drive AND external GPU dock. It’s kind of nuts but there is a reason to the madness. Why would anyone need 64GB in a mobile device is another question.

It’s also an 11” screen tablet basically, controls are removable and I think it comes with the keyboard as well. So I can see why the price is so high.

That $999 price is actually not too bad then for the 32GB/1TB model, especially if NVME is swappable and standard 2280 m.2. But it’s probably soldered.

Edit: Yep, standard m.2 2280 slot. This actually looks pretty damn interesting. And if you preorder they throw in the keyboard.

I am kind of legit interested.

Last edited:

Xyphie

The entry level model is cheap for what it is in the sense that the equivalent laptop spec-wise will be more expensive than that.

The eGPU could be a fantastic product if it was priced better though, but $650 for a $260 desktop equivalent GPU is too much. It's a product category I've been hoping for years will eventually take off in the mobile space (OCuLink eGPU + PSU + M.2 2280 slot).

StereoVsn

The entry level model is cheap for what it is in the sense that the equivalent laptop spec-wise will be more expensive than that.

The eGPU could be a fantastic product if it was priced better though, but $650 for a $260 desktop equivalent GPU is too much. It's a product category I've been hoping for years will eventually take off in the mobile space (OCuLink eGPU + PSU + M.2 2280 slot).
Thing is if you don’t need portability on eGPU, can just get a regular one with thunderbolt adapter for Oculink I think. And newer docks have the native connector.

So that 32GB/1TB model with early bird is very well priced. Issue is I don’t trust the warranty, otherwise it’s not a bad buy at all.

proandrad

I'm convinced some of these overpriced handhelds are funded by some rich oil prince that doesn't care if they lose money.

Xyphie

Thing is if you don’t need portability on eGPU, can just get a regular one with thunderbolt adapter for Oculink I think. And newer docks have the native connector.

So that 32GB/1TB model with early bird is very well priced. Issue is I don’t trust the warranty, otherwise it’s not a bad buy at all.

Well yeah the ideal eGPU configuration is obviously just a "BYOGPU" case with a 16x PCIe slot and ATX/SFX PSU and an OCuLink connector. E.g. something like this. I've yet to see a non-hacked-together looking product like that though.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I'm convinced some of these overpriced handhelds are funded by some rich oil prince that doesn't care if they lose money.
Again, if you actually take a min to look at the prices they are not outrageous by any means.

You are looking for $1K for the newest Intel i7 SoC with 32GB RAM (very fast one to boot) and 1TB NVME. It’s also an 11” tablet and has both mountable controllers (switch style) AND a keyboard accessory.

The crazy prices are for the mobile docks or 64GB combos. Mobile Oculink dock is expensive from all companies and 64GB is self explanatory.

It's hilarious companies keep trying to enter this market with also-ran generic PC devices. The only worthwhile choices for hybrid handhelds are Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch. This is the Android attitude of "throw more hardware" with no real point of differentiation, no moat to keep users on their own devices. No developer is targeting these machines, and there are too many choices for any to become even close to dominant like Valve and Nintendo. I'd be really surprised if any of these PC hardware manufacturers are still making or selling these devices.

DonJimbo

Im still scared to buy a handheld pc
Maybe one day this concept will have fruition and then i will buy without without worring that the hardware get weak after one year

smbu2000

Thicker boxy tablet design reminds me of the Asus ROG Flow Z13. Don’t have the integrated controllers and slightly larger size at 13” (compared to 11”), but they actually do have integrated dgpus, up to rtx4060 on current model.

https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-flow/rog-flow-z13-2023-series/

Still seems over priced with just integrated graphics. Intel supposedly matching AMD current integrated performance, but with higher power consumption.

StereoVsn

It's hilarious companies keep trying to enter this market with also-ran generic PC devices. The only worthwhile choices for hybrid handhelds are Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch. This is the Android attitude of "throw more hardware" with no real point of differentiation, no moat to keep users on their own devices. No developer is targeting these machines, and there are too many choices for any to become even close to dominant like Valve and Nintendo. I'd be really surprised if any of these PC hardware manufacturers are still making or selling these devices.
Nah, ASUS, Lenovo and MSI have manufacturing part down. If they can push enough devices to keep a factory line open it is likely a profitable venture to them. Basically it’s another laptops in a different form factor.

This particular Chinese company has also been around for a while pushing these small devices and seemingly have a modicum of success much like Aya Neo and GPD.

Deck certainly sold more, but these companies are ok on smaller numbers, at least for now. Switch is a whole different animal and really shouldn’t be put into the same competing space.

StereoVsn

Thicker boxy tablet design reminds me of the Asus ROG Flow Z13. Don’t have the integrated controllers and slightly larger size at 13” (compared to 11”), but they actually do have integrated dgpus, up to rtx4060 on current model.

https://rog.asus.com/us/laptops/rog-flow/rog-flow-z13-2023-series/

Still seems over priced with just integrated graphics. Intel supposedly matching AMD current integrated performance, but with higher power consumption.
It is considerably bigger though and this tablet has the controls that can be directly attached.

I think it will be interesting to see performance if these devices in the next few weeks (months) as they start releasing. For example, MSI with its Claw handheld (same chip as here) is insisting they can get 50% more battery life vs ASUS RoG Ally at 15 or 20W despite only having 30% or so larger battery.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Not only is this thing overpriced but it's running an Intel chip which means it's not getting Steam OS support down the line when Valve finally gets around releasing it for other devices.

Ozriel

M$FT
Not only is this thing overpriced but it's running an Intel chip which means it's not getting Steam OS support down the line when Valve finally gets around releasing it for other devices.

Eh. At 11 inch, it’s a full fledged Windows tablet. I don’t think anyone buying it cares a lot about SteamOS.

StereoVsn

Eh. At 11 inch, it’s a full fledged Windows tablet. I don’t think anyone buying it cares a lot about SteamOS.
Yep, it’s basically two in one tablet that comes with a magnetic keyboard which has controller attachment rails on each side. It also has pretty decent specs all things considered and more then fair price for what it’s offering.

Ignore the eGPU and 64GB RAM configs. The bigger issue is that since it’s a company out of China without really any presence in Europe or North America, warranty service will be essentially non existent. Or maybe just plain bad.

Even if the company agrees to service a device, it will take weeks just for shipping.

Otherwise, having a compact and decently powerful two in one tablet for general use and gaming for $1K isn’t bad at all.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Yep, it’s basically two in one tablet that comes with a magnetic keyboard which has controller attachment rails on each side. It also has pretty decent specs all things considered and more then fair price for what it’s offering.

Ignore the eGPU and 64GB RAM configs. The bigger issue is that since it’s a company out of China without really any presence in Europe or North America, warranty service will be essentially non existent. Or maybe just plain bad.

Even if the company agrees to service a device, it will take weeks just for shipping.

Otherwise, having a compact and decently powerful two in one tablet for general use and gaming for $1K isn’t bad at all.
This is actually an issue with more then just one of the handheld PC manufacturers not only do they not build their hardware with repairibility in mind, nor do they provide repair parts with reputable partners like iFixit but they also don't have a domestic presence in the West so using a manufacturer's warranty is even more of a pain.

Cyberpunkd

Again, if you actually take a min to look at the prices they are not outrageous by any means.
Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Steam deck is a perfect combination of specs, price and ease of use. All these windows handhelds remind me of a time of early iPhones when all Android did was blasting specs left and right, then wondering why they don’t sell.

Oh wait, they still don’t.

StereoVsn

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Steam deck is a perfect combination of specs, price and ease of use. All these windows handhelds remind me of a time of early iPhones when all Android did was blasting specs left and right, then wondering why they don’t sell.

Oh wait, they still don’t.
Again, this isn’t a gaming handheld. It’s a 2-1 tablet with detachable keyboard and controllers. You can use it as a general purpose computer for most common tasks.

Gaming is a plus. It’s basically MS Surface pro with gamepad and 1/2 the price. The market is probably there to an extent, but it will sell better in China due to warranty and repair questions.

Personally I’d say ASUS or MSI came out with something similar at a comparable price sold at BestBuy or Amazon, I would get it. But ASUS Flow is a lot more expensive to a similar idea of a 13” 2-1.

BlazinAm

The overall product seems like if you are going to go premium this is probably the right form factor that people will want. IF OneXplayer can get hands on with lunar lake or arrow lake chips when those come out they could have more performance than this chip at the same wattage.

As far as I know, the Steam OS version on the Deck is way more advanced than the one available for desktop users.

There are kernel and firmware changes with the steamdeck OS that work for the hardware at hand. From a high level perspective it makes the PC hardware work like like it is a console; "realtime" compiling shaders and bandwidth management stuff. To get that on Windows would require Microsoft and the hardware vendors to work in lockstep. Right now they are in lockstep in AI.

Last edited:
Top Bottom