• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Intel 14th Gen - Review Thread

Leonidas

So like the Zen 2 days then? Only because Intel is behind in gaming performance this time, MT is what really counts now.
The difference is that you could have bought 8700K in 2017 and you would have had better gaming performance than Zen2, 2 years in advance.

8700K was great because I got around top tier performance for several years.

8700K launched at $360 (2017) and was within 3% of the $500 9900K (2019) 2 years later.
5800X3D launched at $450 (2022) and lost to a $300 CPU the very next year (7600x, 2023).

5800X3D today is already 25% behind the fastest gaming CPU, 5800X3D was only a year old by the time it was getting beaten by 25%.

7800X3D launched at $450 (2023) and will probably be beaten in gaming by a $250-$300 (8600X) CPU next year.

There will probably never be another CPU that will be as close to the top for as long as the 8700K was.

Last edited:

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Waste of sand 2: electric boogaloo

In cinemas today.

Atleast if my 7800X3D becomes woefully under performant in the near future, all I will need to do is get a new CPU instead of motherboard and ram aswell.

FireFly

The difference is that you could have bought 8700K in 2017 and you would have had better gaming performance than Zen2, 2 years in advance.

8700K was great because I got around top tier performance for several years.

8700K launched at $360 (2017) and was within 3% of the $500 9900K (2019) 2 years later.
5800X3D launched at $450 (2022) and lost to a $300 CPU the very next year (7600x, 2023).

5800X3D today is already 25% behind the fastest gaming CPU, 5800X3D was only a year old by the time it was getting beaten by 25%.

7800X3D launched at $450 (2023) and will probably be beaten in gaming by a $250-$300 (8600X) CPU next year.

There will probably never be another CPU that will be as close to the top for as long as the 8700K was.
That's just a function of the fact that Intel was stuck on the Skylake architecture and 14nm for over 5 years on the desktop, while AMD was still catching up. Now both AMD and Intel are iterating rapidly, so for example the 13900K is 13% faster than the 12900k despite launching less than a year afterwards. The 14900k is Intel going back to their old "refreshes" but Arrow Lake is a new architecture and is expected next year. I think this is a good not a bad thing since games are designed for console CPUs and having the option of a faster option on PC doesn't magically ruin your frame rates! If you bought a 5800 X3D in 2022 it could easily give you 5 years worth of use, assuming the new consoles come out in 2027.

But this has nothing to do with my point that the 8700K/9700K was behind the 3700X in applications by ~10% and was selling for a similar price, as well as being dwarfed in application performance by the 12 and 16 core AMD parts. That was fine because apparently the multithreaded performance was good enough for gamers anyway. Yet the 7800 X3D comes out and is behind by the same amount and now the multicore performance is suddenly a big problem! That's despite the fact that it's delivering multithreaded performance in between the 12 core Zen 2 and Zen 3 CPUs.

(And actually the 8700K/9700K were relatively much further behind in multithreaded benchmarks specifically, due to having 6 cores/no SMT respectively).

Last edited:
I recently upgraded my main gaming/office/work rig and went with a 7800x3d. I am very surprised how cool it runs and how much more quiet it is compared to my old Intel i7. Admittedly I also upgraded the CPU cooler but I am very happy so far. 64 GB DDR5 also helps.
Looking at this CPU myslef. What cooler did you go with please?

Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE CPU Air Cooler, 7 Heatpipes CPU Cooler, Dual 120 mm
Thank you. I don't have great knowledge on this stuff. Is air cooled better than water cooled? I'm looking to build my 1st PC and I'm gathering all the info I can!
This thread has helped because I always assumed Intel was the way to go but seems that isn't the case anymore

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Jesus Christ, why are gamers such drama queens?

“I have been a loyal Intel customer for 25 years but this…. this is the last straw. Releasing a CPU that performs slightly worse than their competition in some workloads while consuming more power? That’s it, I’m changing my allegiance to the RED TEAM and never looking back!”

For fuck’s sake it’s a CPU not a religion. Buy whatever gives you the best bang for your buck within your price range. Today for gaming 7800X3D is the clear winner. In the future there will be times when Intel is the better choice.

This shouldn’t trigger a crisis within you that causes you to question your identity and sense of self worth.
giphy.gif

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Thank you. I don't have great knowledge on this stuff. Is air cooled better than water cooled? I'm looking to build my 1st PC and I'm gathering all the info I can!
This thread has helped because I always assumed Intel was the way to go but seems that isn't the case anymore

I would definately direct you to our build a PC thread, they can help you out there.

Ive built/upgraded probably 6 PCs in the last 11 years since I got back into PC gaming. I always go air cooled because its just easier for me. Some people swear by water cooling.

Intel vs AMD i think is overblown. Both have good CPUs that will play your games at incredible settings and allow you to run all sorts of programs on your PC. I would just learn a bit about things like TDP, cores, threads, speeds, motherboard compatibility and look at prices.

Ultimately after learning about how to make a PC the best thing is to make a budget and just start picking stuff to get within that budget.

I would definately direct you to our build a PC thread, they can help you out there.

Ive built/upgraded probably 6 PCs in the last 11 years since I got back into PC gaming. I always go air cooled because its just easier for me. Some people swear by water cooling.

Intel vs AMD i think is overblown. Both have good CPUs that will play your games at incredible settings and allow you to run all sorts of programs on your PC. I would just learn a bit about things like TDP, cores, threads, speeds, motherboard compatibility and look at prices.

Ultimately after learning about how to make a PC the best thing is to make a budget and just start picking stuff to get within that budget.
Thanks for the advice. I'll certainly check out the thread you suggested

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
14700k actually seems to have some gains and decent value thanks to the added e-cores, but the i5 and i9 skus are pretty pointless.

SHA

It just feels like a rip off for me to spend $370+ on an 8 Core CPU. I remember picking up 8 Cores Zen/Zen+ CPUs 4-5 years ago for like $150 a pop. 8-Core is budget tier core counts.

Yes, 8/16 is probably enough, but then again so is 6/12 since consoles only use Zen2 cores which are weak by todays PC standards.

If an R7 is losing to a cheaper i5 in MT, it doesn't look good...
Right, 8c is like a beefed up console, not a real pc for legit daily use.

Eotheod

Biggest Playstation fanboy on earth plus he s a lot on pc, most of the time doesn't make any sense but just being cringy, don't know his voice or his will that is cringier.
Okay buddy, let that anger flow out at poor papa Intel getting beat up in the media run. The stats don't lie mate.

Top Bottom