• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI leak: Intel's 14th Gen is around 3% faster than 13th Gen.

winjer

Gold Member

• Same Architecture as Raptor Lake (Raptor Cove P-Cores + Gracemont E-Cores)
  • Same Process Node as Raptor Lake (Intel 7 aka 10nm++)
  • Higher Clock Speeds Beyond 6.0 GHz
  • Support For Faster DDR5 Memory DIMMs
  • Much Higher Power Consumption (Close To 300W)
  • Compatibility With Existing LGA 1700 / 1800 Socket Motherboards

bAltiOl.png

T-Cake

Hang on for two shakes of a dog's tail - Intel's latest CPUs are on TEN nanometers? TEN?!?!?! ONE-ZERO???!?!? I don't believe it!

i thought it was a new gen but it's just a refresh. makes sense i guess.

not really much point buying this. might as well just wait for the actual next gen CPU

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
14700k will be a nice upgrade
Depends on what you have. I just want to know how much power these consume relative to the power hungry 13 series. If Intel improved that to be competitive with AMDs 7000 series then it becomes very compelling.

Sanepar

Depends on what you have. I just want to know how much power these consume relative to the power hungry 13 series. If Intel improved that to be competitive with AMDs 7000 series then it becomes very compelling.
i have a 12700f with ddr4. so it is time for a new cpu and ddr5

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
i thought it was a new gen but it's just a refresh. makes sense i guess.

not really much point buying this. might as well just wait for the actual next gen CPU
It also likely means that 13 series CPUs will get a price reduction. 12th gen CPUs are priced very well right now.
i have a 12700f with ddr4. so it is time for a new cpu and ddr5
Get a 7800X3D, it will likely be cheaper than a 14700K

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
just a refresh of 13th gen. Most weren’t expecting any new LGA1700 chips so… better than nothing, I guess.

Also while the max power draw is nuts, that’s with all cores/threads maxed out. For e.g. gaming the average power consumption is nowhere near that high:
BWJAV8T.png

An i5-13600K to i7-14700K could potentially be a nice upgrade path for me in a few years time without having to switch the motherboard or memory but considering that my previous i7-4770K lasted me almost 10 years (June 2013 to December 2022) then chances are that I will ready for a completely new system by the time my current CPU starts to show its age.

drotahorror

Didn’t think this would be the time I finally upgrade the old 6700k. Definitely still waiting on a new socket. It will be glorious though…

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I was planning on getting rid of my 7950x and going back to Intel (fuck AMD, they are as bad as always, AM5 has been the most buggy platform Launch ever, I’m excited to throw it in the trash can. But Intel was suppose to be launching its new platform in 2024, so I guess that’s delayed till 2025 now. Upgrading to the 14th series would be a complete dead end.

AMD completely deserves its reputation as a budget tier shit brand, I wish we had a better company as a second tier option in the industry.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm, more heat is disappointing as someone who likes to air cool their cpus. I guess my 10700k lives on while I wait for the next gen.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I was planning on getting rid of my 7950x and going back to Intel (fuck AMD, they are as bad as always, AM5 has been the most buggy platform Launch ever, I’m excited to throw it in the trash can. But Intel was suppose to be launching its new platform in 2024, so I guess that’s delayed till 2025 now. Upgrading to the 14th series would be a complete dead end.

AMD completely deserves its reputation as a budget tier shit brand, I wish we had a better company as a second tier option in the industry.
What's buggy about it? It isn't perfect, but it's largely been very stable for me and many others.

My real issue with AM5 is that they tried to make the AM4 coolers compatible with AM5 and created a much larger heatsink than necessary. What's funny is that all Asetek coolers required a new mounting kit anyway.

BlackTron

Intel and Nvidia are able to get away with what they do for a reason...their shit works.

Danknugz

people never learn this glad you wisened up

b0uncyfr0

people never learn this glad you wisened up
Id agree that's partly his/her fault. Yes, a platform should be stable enough but noone should be adopting a new patform given AMD's track record with AM4 - you're essentially gambling on being a beta tester and paying a premium to do it.

Always plan upgrades around new tech but definitely not when its just released, thats just asking for trouble. And that goes for both AMD and Intel.

Danknugz

Id agree that's partly his/her fault. Yes, a platform should be stable enough but noone should be adopting a new patform given AMD's track record with AM4 - you're essentially gambling on being a beta tester and paying a premium to do it.

Always plan upgrades around new tech but definitely not when its just released, thats just asking for trouble. And that goes for both AMD and Intel.
true, personally i've avoided AMD ever since the athlon CPUs.

Tarin02543

I'll continue with my 12100F as long as possible, and then when the time is right I'll put in a 14700KF for as cheap as possible.

My new pc build is now six months old, most of my budget went into a bulletproof MB with heavy duty VRM power system.

Top Bottom