• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the US, The Last of Us Part II has outsold Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima

Woggleman

Here is the top ten selling PS4 games on Amazon TLOU2 is still in the top ten. It is at number ten but a year later it is still up at the time of this post plus it has a near perfect rating since Amazon tends to avoid review bombing. So much for a game with such bad legs.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Here is the top ten selling PS4 games on Amazon TLOU2 is still in the top ten. It is at number ten but a year later it is still up at the time of this post plus it has a near perfect rating since Amazon tends to avoid review bombing. So much for a game with such bad legs.
How many copies did it sell at launch to keep it still up their. Like I don't think it has been on the npd charts for at least 6 months from what I could find/see.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
How many copies did it sell at launch to keep it still up their. Like I don't think it has been on the npd charts for at least 6 months from what I could find/see.
These charts are updated hourly. If it was selling at round $30 for awhile, then that means its going to be harder to crack the top 20 since its based on revenue and not units sold.

MrA

Banned
329th overall in video games, below doki doki literature club on the switch, (which as of this comment is like number 36 on switch game charts and 320 overall) Amazon BSR is a neat metric, but if you get granular enough anythings sales can look good. This isn't really evidence of legs, the only thing we actually know about the 12 months after the launch month is that it sold less than mario kart 8 which probably sold 2 to 4 million copies in the US over the last 12 months. So it could have dropped to 11th overall and sold another 3.99 million copies or completely collapsed sold a few hundred thousand more units, we don't know.
Personally, I don't think it met sony's expectations as they've been dead silent about it since the launch month sales were as sony usually toasts sales milestones, they did 2 or 3 additional ones for Ghosts of Tsushima maybe they're waiting for the multiplayer add on for an announcement (part of last of us 2 I'm interested in) but regardless, they've said nothing about it.
Isnt last of us 2 sonys biggest launch ever? Yet there are people saying it underperformed? Hate truly is irrational most of the time. It doesn't really matter if it sells 50m. Those people would still find a way to discredit it and come out with bullshit. It's more a reflection on the person than anything.

it did, but this is about its continuing sales, something can start strong then crater and be a failure, something can start weak and build moment,
it has nothing to do with hate, it has to do with data and legs. sales of games are something discussed on an enthusiast forum,

NahaNago

These charts are updated hourly. If it was selling at round $30 for awhile, then that means its going to be harder to crack the top 20 since its based on revenue and not units sold.
Okay that makes sense. Like npd and amazon charts barely match at all so that was so weird comparing both charts.

329th overall in video games, below doki doki literature club on the switch, (which as of this comment is like number 36 on switch game charts and 320 overall) Amazon BSR is a neat metric, but if you get granular enough anythings sales can look good. This isn't really evidence of legs, the only thing we actually know about the 12 months after the launch month is that it sold less than mario kart 8 which probably sold 2 to 4 million copies in the US over the last 12 months. So it could have dropped to 11th overall and sold another 3.99 million copies or completely collapsed sold a few hundred thousand more units, we don't know.
Personally, I don't think it met sony's expectations as they've been dead silent about it since the launch month sales were as sony usually toasts sales milestones, they did 2 or 3 additional ones for Ghosts of Tsushima maybe they're waiting for the multiplayer add on for an announcement (part of last of us 2 I'm interested in) but regardless, they've said nothing about it.

it did, but this is about its continuing sales, something can start strong then crater and be a failure, something can start weak and build moment,
it has nothing to do with hate, it has to do with data and legs. sales of games are something discussed on an enthusiast forum,

But why is there such an interest and focus on last of us 2's continuing sales? I don't see the same for other games. Its everything to do with hate. They want it so badly to fail they will latch onto anything. They wont accept it either way. Even if the total sales pass the original you know what they'll say? "Bundles" and "bargain bin prices". Theres always an excuse for haters because that's all they are really looking to do. Hate. They were never interested in a serious discussion based on facts.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

People keep saying that since they didn't announce sales, that means they weren't satisfied.

If they announce a milestone in 10 million sales, is that going to change things? If that happens, it's like people are going to start saying, "It could've sold a lot more".

According to NowInStock.net, The last of Us Part II Standard Edition went out of stock on July 07 and its now in-stock as of July 15th.

Before that, Pre-orders were taken March 16th and went out of stock March 17th. It wasn't until April 1st that it went back in-stock at Amazon.

This happens with some games for a few days, but we're talking at least a week with the game going out of stock.

People think Sony is out there reporting sales for games like Ghost of Tsushima and that's not the case (after the initial launch).

Screenrant reported the sales of 6.5 million and they likely asked them how many copies it sold when they were making a report about the film adaption.

Before that, New York Times reported the sales figures.

After these were reported, Sony just said, "Yeah, we did". I just predict that they will announce the sales figures or it will get revealed through Sony's quarterly reports. I can see people going from the game didn't sell well to, it didn't sell nearly as well as it could have and Sony is still disappointed with sales.

NahaNago

Okay that makes sense. Like npd and amazon charts barely match at all so that was so weird comparing both charts.

ReBurn

Gold Member
One Sony game outsold two other Sony games. Who is the winner and who is the loser? Seems like no matter how you look at it Sony did well.

I can't see how this means anything. Even after reading all of these comments. It's just fanboys eating each other alive over trivia.

Umbral

God of War was regularly discounted. It was also cheaper then TLOU 2 on many occasions.

You guys don't bother looking this stuff up.
I don’t bother because I’m not trying to convince you of anything, I’m simply correcting inaccuracies. You are unable to be convinced of something that contradicts what you’ve built so many arguments on top of.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
I don’t bother because I’m not trying to convince you of anything, I’m simply correcting inaccuracies. You are unable to be convinced of something that contradicts what you’ve built so many arguments on top of.
There's nothing to correct. I stick to facts, unlike several people in this thread who always show up in TLOU related threads to either complain about the same things or try to prove its a failure.

Simply put, you guys need to move on.

kikii

Gold Member
dunno why so many ppl who hasnt even played a whole game is so butt hurted? game is awesome tho i ididnt like to play as Abby 1st :p

Lupingosei

Banned
Amazing, that this still exists after we have the numbers and finally know how made up this whole topic was:

E6a1ypTVkAEuolA

As expected, almost all the sales within the first month and huge drop after word to mouth kicked in. It lived of the legacy of the first game. That is why it was discounted so heavy and never was back in the sales charts unlike Ghost or Miles. A month after launch and the sales of whole year were worse than Mario Kart 8 (2017) for example (without digital sales). It will be a huge suprise if TLOU 2 would reach a third of the userbase of the first game. The game has not legs at all.

E6a14pbVEAAUL_s

That is why full price Ghost and Miles are still in the charts; Ghost even a year after launch. Even the Final Fantasy Remake made it back.

Oh yeah, just in case i will add monthly playstation charts

E32UvX7VcAI-jfl
E2ZXG1TUcAMOR7r

EzGOPHtVEAESOtI
EwSMZ7MVIAUSwpe

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Just in case somebody wants to use digital downloads as some kind of argument:

Top 2020 digital downloads

PS4 Games

US/CanadaEurope
1Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold WarFIFA 21
2Grand Theft Auto VFIFA 20
3Call of Duty: Modern WarfareGrand Theft Auto V
4MinecraftCall of Duty: Modern Warfare
5Ghost of TsushimaCall of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
6The Last of Us Part IIMinecraft
7NBA 2K21NBA 2K20
8NBA 2K20The Last of Us Part II
9Final Fantasy VII RemakeThe Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
10Madden NFL 21Red Dead Redemption 2

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
As expected, almost all the sales within the first month and huge drop after word to mouth kicked in. It lived of the legacy of the first game. That is why it was discounted so heavy and never was back in the sales charts unlike Ghost or Miles. A month after launch and the sales of whole year were worse than Mario Kart 8 (2017) for example (without digital sales). It will be a huge suprise if TLOU 2 would reach a third of the userbase of the first game. The game has not legs at all.
August 2019 NPD

Top 10 best-selling games over the last 12 months​

1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4**
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  5. Marvel’s Spider-Man
  6. Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey
  7. Mortal Kombat 11
  8. FIFA 19**
  9. Madden NFL 19**
  10. Battlefield V**
September 2019 NPD

The 10 best-selling games of the last 12 months​

1. Red Dead Redemption II
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII
  3. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  4. NBA 2K20
  5. Mortal Kombat 11
  6. Borderlands 3
  7. Madden NFL 20
  8. NBA 2K19
  9. Battlefield V
  10. Kingdom Hearts III

Same thing happened with God of War. Based on your logic, leaving the top 10 after 12 months proves the legs weren't long. The same thing happened with these games and the same will happen with GoT.

That is why full price Ghost and Miles are still in the charts; Ghost even a year after launch. Even the Final Fantasy Remake made it back.

God of War and Spider-Man permanently dropped after 6 months. Ghost of Tsushima is still full price because they just released a Director's cut version. It still sold millions less than TLOU.

If someone has to keep pointing out the fact that you keep posting misleading and false information, then maybe you need to start taking a hint.

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Isnt last of us 2 sonys biggest launch ever? Yet there are people saying it underperformed? Hate truly is irrational most of the time. It doesn't really matter if it sells 50m. Those people would still find a way to discredit it and come out with bullshit. It's more a reflection on the person than anything.
You can have a good launch thanks to your name, and be left in the dust for being bad after.

Last edited:

ripeavocado

Banned
Amazing, that this still exists after we have the numbers and finally know how made up this whole topic was:

E6a1ypTVkAEuolA

E6a14pbVEAAUL_s

E32UvX7VcAI-jfl
E2ZXG1TUcAMOR7r

EzGOPHtVEAESOtI
EwSMZ7MVIAUSwpe

Well said, awful game that sold a lot based on the previous title.

Lupingosei

Banned
It still sold millions less than TLOU.
You still pretend as if that was true, but you don't have single official number to back that up.

You try to make some crazy connections between God of War and TLOU 2, to somehow back things up, how the discounts were no big problem.

btw. I like that you use August and September numbers, when GoW was realeased in April 2018

[Sigma]

If we are just looking at the data, Ghost of Tsushima beat it in the 12 months TLOU2 debut in terms of dollar sales. The thread of based off this right? Well the chart is pretty clear when it comes to that unless someone at NPD made a mistake. When this thread was made, the opposite was true, but that is not longer the case just a month later.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
You still pretend as if that was true, but you don't have single official number to back that up.

I don't need to pretend. I showed you the charts from both Europe and US, which make up the vast majority of the PlayStation user base. The Last of Us Part II is close to Ghost of Tsushima in the US, but The Last of Us Part II is FAR ahead of Ghost of Tsushima in Europe.

They're not making up ground in other regions when its behind in the US and Europe.

You try to make some crazy connections between God of War and TLOU 2, to somehow back things up, how the discounts were no big problem.

You're trying to prove the legs weren't long by showing results AFTER a 12 month period. You can compare the charts AFTER the 12 month period to God of War and Spider-Man 2018 and see that it dropped off at the 13 months.

This means you don't understand what you're even posting.

btw. I like that you use August and September numbers, when GoW was realeased in April 2018

No, I said the SAME thing happened to God of War. Go look it up. It left the top 10 charts because it doesn't calculate the first months numbers.

All of this proves that you're in denial. lol

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If we are just looking at the data, Ghost of Tsushima beat it in the 12 months TLOU2 debut in terms of dollar sales. The thread of based off this right? Well the chart is pretty clear when it comes to that unless someone at NPD made a mistake. When this thread was made, the opposite was true, but that is not longer the case just a month later.
Lupingosei Lupingosei doesn't understand this.

The Last of Us released in June it was obvious that it was going to drop out of the top 10. The same thing will happen with Ghost of Tsushima next month.

For someone who tries to bring up sales numbers, he doesn't even understand how NPDs work.... or how to even calculate a 12 month period.

[Sigma]

Lupingosei Lupingosei doesn't understand this.

The Last of Us released in June it was obvious that it was going to drop out of the top 10. The same thing will happen with Ghost of Tsushima next month.

For someone who tries to bring up sales numbers, he doesn't even understand how NPDs work.... or how to even calculate a 12 month period.
Ignore my post too because apparently I can't even count lol. So I was wrong in which I posted in the rest of my paragraph. My bad.

Lupingosei

Banned
I don't need to pretend. I showed you the charts from both Europe and US, which make up the vast majority of the PlayStation user base. The Last of Us Part II is close to Ghost of Tsushima in the US, but The Last of Us Part II is FAR ahead of Ghost of Tsushima in Europe.

They're not making up ground in other regions when its behind in the US and Europe.
Again you pretend that you have numbers, but you don't. Nothing you just said is based on any official numbers.

You somehow pretend, that millions of sales were made in Europe, without any numbers to back it up. Some charts, but again without any numbers.

Playstation downloads of 2020, not even in the Top 5 for the whole year and in the US even behind Ghost. But somehow it is that huge success, which was not even able to outsell a 3 year old Mario Kart after the launch month.

And the place wo do have numbers, in Japan Ghost outsold it easily. If it was such a huge success, again why is Sony not giving any sales updates or at least Druckmann at one point has to show anything, just to own the haters.

But we get nothing.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Again you pretend that you have numbers, but you don't. Nothing you just said is based on any official numbers.

You somehow pretend, that millions of sales were made in Europe, without any numbers to back it up. Some charts, but again without any numbers.

Playstation downloads of 2020, not even in the Top 5 for the whole year and in the US even behind Ghost. But somehow it is that huge success, which was not even able to outsell a 3 year old Mario Kart after the launch month.

And the place wo do have numbers, in Japan Ghost outsold it easily. If it was such a huge success, again why is Sony not giving any sales updates or at least Druckmann at one point has to show anything, just to own the haters.

But we get nothing.
Do you realize you're not posting numbers and you're just posting charts?

GSD Annual 2020 Top 20 Video Games (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1FIFA 21 (EA)
2Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
3Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Nintendo)*
4FIFA 20 (EA)
5Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War (Activision Blizzard)
6Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
7The Last of Us Part 2 (Sony)
8Assassin's Creed Valhalla (Ubisoft)
9Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
10Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
11NBA 2K20 (2K Games)
12Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Nintendo)*
13Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Siege (Ubisoft)
14Cyberpunk 2077 (CD Projekt)*
15Minecraft: Switch Edition (Nintendo/Microsoft)*
16Ghost of Tsushima (Sony)
17Assassin's Creed Odyssey (Ubisoft)
18Ring Fit Adventure (Nintendo)
19Just Dance 2020
20Super Mario Party (Nintendo)*

Top 20 best-selling games of 2020 in Italy

1. FIFA 21
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. FIFA 20
4. Animal Crossing: New Horizons
5. The Last of Us Part II
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
7. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
8. Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege
9. NBA 2K20
10. Assassin’s Creed Valhalla
11. Red Dead Redemption 2
12. Minecraft (Switch)
13. Spider-Man
14. Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot
15. God of War
16. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey
17. Spider-Man: Miles Morales
18. Ghost of Tsushima
19. Gran Turismo Sport
20. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

Germany Sales Awards over 500k The Last of Us Part II - December 2020

game_Sales_Award_2020-12_Visual_Website_16x9.jpg

game_Sales_Award_2020-12_Visual_Website_The_Last_of_Us_Part_II_16x9.jpg

Germany Sales Awards over 200k Ghost of Tsushima - September 2021
Header_game_Sales_Award_20-09_Visual_Website_klein.png

Last of Us Part II sold over 300k copies from July - December
Ghost of Tsushima only sold 200k copies from July - September

Top 20 UK Sales Charts

No.TitleTotal SalesPhysical SalesDigital SalesDigital Split
1FIFA 212,237,1751,076,7431,160,43251.9%
2Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War1,528,985472,5901,056,39569.1%
3Grand Theft Auto 51,248,608314,129934,47974.8%
4FIFA 20904,029341,917562,11262.2%
5Call of Duty: Modern Warfare899,921330,650569,27163.3%
6Animal Crossing: New Horizons810,535810,535No DataN/A
7Assassin's Creed Valhalla693,367415,533277,83440.1%
8The Last of Us: Part 2543,218344,291198,92736.6%
9NBA 2K20481,53559,508422,02787.6%
10Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege455,70536,002419,70392.1%
11Red Dead Redemption 2436,841137,930298,91168.4%
12Mario Kart 8: Deluxe427,667427,667No DataN/A
13Spider-Man: Miles Morales400,636273,629127,00731.7%
14Monopoly Plus398,002N/A398,002100%
15Marvel's Avengers380,596252,085128,51133.8%
16Ghost of Tsushima373,472192,523180,94948.5%
17Cyberpunk 2077371,215371,215No DataN/A
18Minecraft334,688221,361113,32733.9%
19Assassin's Creed Odyssey327,60354,922272,68183.2%
20Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order312,915180,551132,36442.3%

I shared this before and you're just don't want to accept the facts. lol

kyliethicc

E6a1ypTVkAEuolA

E6a14pbVEAAUL_s

E32UvX7VcAI-jfl
E2ZXG1TUcAMOR7r

EzGOPHtVEAESOtI
EwSMZ7MVIAUSwpe
You do realize nothing you said has anything to do with the information in this thread?

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Playstation downloads of 2020, not even in the Top 5 for the whole year and in the US even behind Ghost.

Why does this even matter when Ghost of Tsushima is behind Last of Us Part II in physical + digital sales in the US?

But somehow it is that huge success, which was not even able to outsell a 3 year old Mario Kart after the launch month.
Neither could God of War. Ghost of Tsushima is going to fall. Nintendo games have proven to sell well after the first year. The same CANNOT be said by the vast majority of games out there.

You're not 'sounding' very bright right now. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Lupingosei

Banned
Last of Us Part II sold over 300k copies from July - December
Ghost of Tsushima only sold 200k copies from July - September
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I am so sorry, of course you are right this changes everything. It sold less in less time, this proves everything.

But I like your crazy numbers game, you mix up everything so much until it makes sense somehow. The place you do show numbers, like the UK would not even be enough to make up the difference of sales for Japan alone.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

I am so sorry, of course you are right this changes everything. It sold less in less time, this proves everything.

But I like your crazy numbers game, you mix up everything so much until it makes sense somehow. The place you do show numbers, like the UK would not even be enough to make up the difference of sales for Japan alone.
I showed you numbers overall in Europe.

And no, Japan is not enough to make up ground.

You just have to give it a rest. Somehow US alone proves your point, but you think all other regions are irrelevant.

EDMIX

One has to wonder, why Sony doesn't update game sales anymore...

? They actually still do.

They might be saving a Last Of Us 2 update when they MP is ready or when the remake of 1 is ready for reveal etc. We don't know what they are planning as to why they are not just stating such things every 6 months or something lol

Some times those statements get made during press events or investor calls etc. The game is already breaking a shit load of records as is, I don't get this stupid goal post of "why Sony doesn't update" as if now suddenly that is the last ray of hope or something, when they do confirm the records its clearly broken for them yet again, whats next? Sony isn't updating us 2 days after, something must be wrong? lol

This isn't some massive "wonder" type thing, they reveal data when they feel like it, they never had some ironclad thing on even doing that. For all you know, they tell you that data when that remaster, ie Directors Cut The Last Of Us 2.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The place you do show numbers, like the UK would not even be enough to make up the difference of sales for Japan alone.
I just feel like elaborating on this point because it's funny.

Look at the biggest PlayStation countries. These stats are from 2019, but this gives you an idea how big the Europe region is.

Here is the full list of the top-selling games in Japan for 2020, according to Famitsu:

• 1. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 6,378,103 / NEW
  • 2. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 1,591,366 / 2,087,005
  • 3. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 1,233,023 / NEW
  • 4. [PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake – 949,379 / NEW
  • 5. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 892,456 / 3,880,590
  • 6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 798,174 / 3,457,183
  • 7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 560,122 / 4,013,174
  • 8. [NSW] Minecraft – 556,982 / 1,702,921
  • 9. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 519,649 / NEW
  • 10. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 492,620 / NEW
  • 11. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 466,086 / 1,729,796
  • 12. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe – 462,806 / NEW
  • 13. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 435,629 / 3,688,389
  • 14. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima – 427,071 / NEW
  • 15. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch – 309,045 / 343,741
  • 16. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 304,963 / NEW
  • 17. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King – 294,697 / NEW
  • 18. [NSW] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX – 279,162 / NEW
  • 19. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2020 – 269,648 / NEW
  • 20. [PS4] Resident Evil 3 – 269,187 / NEW
  • 21. [PS4] Yakuza: Like a Dragon – 263,255 / NEW
  • 22. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 246,888 / 1,728,037
  • 23. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 236,269 / 983,858
  • 24. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 234,377 / 1,034,881
  • 25. [PS4] The Last of Us Part II – 233,273 / NEW

1 Year comparisons

Ghost of Tsushima - 427,071
Spider-Man - 303,994
Death Stranding - 262.827
The Last of Us Part II - 233,273
Horizon Zero Dawn 209, 929
Bloodborne - 209,391
Days Gone - 192,900
Uncharted 4 - 179.269
God of War - 104,395

Top 10 best-selling games in 2020, Spain only retail

1. Grand Theft Auto V (PS4): 360.000 (1.400.000 LTD)
2. Animal Crossing (Switch)
3. FIFA 21 (PS4): 327.000
4. The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4): 189.000
5. Minecraft (Switch)
6. Mario Kart 8 DX (Switch)
7. Pokemon Espada y Escudo (Switch)
8. Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Switch)
9. Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4)
10. FIFA 20 (PS4): 125.00 (573.000 LTD)

>100.000 units
PS4 The Last of Us Part 2: 222.650 (wk 22, 2021)

>50.000 units
PS4 Ghost of Tsushima: 72.650 (wk 15, 2021)

I already shows you UK, Italy and Germany charts.

UK 2020 Sales Top 20
The Last of Us Part II - 543,218
Ghost of Tsushima - 373,472

Italy 2020 Sales Top 20
5. The Last of Us Part II
13. Spider-Man
15. God of War
18. Ghost of Tsushima
(Showing God of War and Spider-Man to show you that even those games beat it)

I'll reply to this again because you don't get it.

June 2020 - The Last of Us Part II surpassed 200k units - (Release Month)
July 2020 - Ghost of Tsushima surpassed 100k units - (Release Month)
September 2020 - Ghost of Tsushima surpassed 200k units.
December 2020 - The Last of Us Part II surpassed 500k units.

Ghost of Tsushima sold around 100k from August - September
The Last of Us Part II sold around 300k from July - December

How can anyone see this and believe Ghost of Tsushima sold better than The Last of Us Part II?

Last edited:

Duchess

Here is the full list of the top-selling games in Japan for 2020, according to Famitsu:

• 1. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 6,378,103 / NEW
  • 2. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 1,591,366 / 2,087,005
  • 3. [NSW] Momotaro Dentetsu: Showa, Heisei, Reiwa mo Teiban! – 1,233,023 / NEW
  • 4. [PS4] Final Fantasy VII Remake – 949,379 / NEW
  • 5. [NSW] Pokemon Sword/Shield – 892,456 / 3,880,590
  • 6. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 798,174 / 3,457,183
  • 7. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 560,122 / 4,013,174
  • 8. [NSW] Minecraft – 556,982 / 1,702,921
  • 9. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 519,649 / NEW
  • 10. [NSW] Super Mario 3D All-Stars – 492,620 / NEW
  • 11. [NSW] Super Mario Party – 466,086 / 1,729,796
  • 12. [NSW] Pikmin 3 Deluxe – 462,806 / NEW
  • 13. [NSW] Splatoon 2 – 435,629 / 3,688,389
  • 14. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima – 427,071 / NEW
  • 15. [NSW] Dr. Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch – 309,045 / 343,741
  • 16. [NSW] Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity – 304,963 / NEW
  • 17. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King – 294,697 / NEW
  • 18. [NSW] Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Rescue Team DX – 279,162 / NEW
  • 19. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Yakyuu 2020 – 269,648 / NEW
  • 20. [PS4] Resident Evil 3 – 269,187 / NEW
  • 21. [PS4] Yakuza: Like a Dragon – 263,255 / NEW
  • 22. [NSW] Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 246,888 / 1,728,037
  • 23. [NSW] New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe – 236,269 / 983,858
  • 24. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 234,377 / 1,034,881
  • 25. [PS4] The Last of Us Part II – 233,273 / NEW
Holy shit! I mean, I knew that the Switch was popular in Japan, but that chart takes it to a whole new level..!

? They actually still do.

They might be saving a Last Of Us 2 update when they MP is ready or when the remake of 1 is ready for reveal etc. We don't know what they are planning as to why they are not just stating such things every 6 months or something lol

Some times those statements get made during press events or investor calls etc. The game is already breaking a shit load of records as is, I don't get this stupid goal post of "why Sony doesn't update" as if now suddenly that is the last ray of hope or something, when they do confirm the records its clearly broken for them yet again, whats next? Sony isn't updating us 2 days after, something must be wrong? lol

This isn't some massive "wonder" type thing, they reveal data when they feel like it, they never had some ironclad thing on even doing that. For all you know, they tell you that data when that remaster, ie Directors Cut The Last Of Us 2.
For UC4, God of War and Spider-Man the constantly updated the sales numbers.

For TLOU 2 and GoT they only ever published launch sales.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's a shame this game became a political hot rod. Blame Drubkmann, blame the fans, I don't care. It's got excellent gameplay and pacing. Wish that was the center of the conversation.
That said, I do recognize the importance of story in these games and can see how that element would throw people off from the game.

The encounters are so good though. Some of them I replayed over and over.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm damn excited to finally play this game on PS5 at sweet 60 frames. That must have been a sweet upgrade, yeah?
The only thing I'd like now are more alternate outfits. That may be trivial for some, but I love having a cool tactical outfit, mask, or helmet in game like this. I'm weird like that.

Has anyone played the perma-death mode? I think I'm going to do it by chapter on my next playthrough, as well as use New Game+, so I can use the assault rifles and such from the start. I love the options in this game. How have you all been tweaking the game?

Last edited:

Woggleman

It is indeed great on PS5. I don't know if I have the balls to play perma-death. I recently beat it on grounded but if I get all the way up to Santa Barbara and then die I know I will be raging. I also wish I didn't spend all my points on concept art and game models so I can enjoy some of those filters and modifiers.

EDMIX

For UC4, God of War and Spider-Man the constantly updated the sales numbers.

For TLOU 2 and GoT they only ever published launch sales.

Thats actually false.

Several other Sony titles have not gotten "constantly updated" and one can argue even the fucking thing you are talking about hasn't had ENOUGH TIME to even factor into this, as 1 year has passed, its not like Sony told us 6 different updates on the games you listed, 1 year after release. In fact, you need ot even prove that Sony during 1 year gave us SEVERAL UPDATES to argue something isn't happening that has happened before, the current Spiderman Miles Morales right now is not getting any "constantly updated" type treatment and we know its selling very well same with The Last Of Us 2.

Also Ghost was literally updated BEYOND those "published launch sales".

So basically everything in your post is factually incorrect.

So no, GoT did not ONLY get a update for launch sales.

That is factuall wrong.

So what it tells me is Sony updates shit when they feel like it. We see little reason to not update folks on some of those games sales other then waiting for a press event, investor call, sequel announcement etc because they games they are not updating, we already know are BREAKING RECORDS FOR SONY, so its not this mystierous thing that they might want to hold out until the Director's Cut announcement or MP announcement or remake of The Last Of Us 1 or reveal of Spiderman 2 before giving out other updates on sales.

vs 2 times

Does this mean Uncharted 4 MUST have failed cause Sony didn't update us every 5 seconds? hmmmmm

Nope.

It must means they didn't continue to keep telling folks those numbers at all times, they have NEVER had any standard of this to really make it sound like it was common place. Several years pasted after UC4's release where we heard that figure sir. As in, Sony didn't just keep telling us every year how many copies it sold or something.

So the fact that they even said this in August of last year means that fucking game is moving gangbusters for them.

From just several months on sale, not even a full year, to hear it even moving units beyond Spiderman and Ghost is not that shocking and it simply sounds like they want to wait before they get a unit update during some event, reveal, investor call etc, but again, that isn't a thing that is a standard thing that we can argue was always exact, even from games that did well, its not like we got several a year on updates.

I think over time they didn't want to keep posting those and decided to just wait, as to why certain titles didn't keep getting updated, despite doing extremely well in sales. I mean, you literally see the data on those games doing well, why you NEED Sony to update to goal post is beyond me. They are just going to confirm the numbers you already see projected by lots of this data anyway. Why not tell folks The Last Of Us 2 outsold Ghost and Miles Morales? Maybe they want that statement during the MP reveal and the remake of 1 reveal or the remaster and or Directors Cut of 2 etc So even if they don't tell us for years, that wouldn't' be the first time as they've done that many times.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

E6a1ypTVkAEuolA

Just a quick bump

Remember what I told you last month? You used this as proof that the game was doing bad.

I told you it was going to drop off next month.

Neither could God of War. Ghost of Tsushima is going to fall. Nintendo games have proven to sell well after the first year. The same CANNOT be said by the vast majority of games out there.

You're not 'sounding' very bright right now. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Guess what happened?

E8rBSCwVIAY_rBd

No Ghost of Tsushima.

Say what you will about TLOU2 story, but its quality is far superior to Miles and GoT. Plus, ppl sure love zombie games. I'm sure Spiderman 3 will outsell TLOU2 tho.

Top Bottom