• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In the US, The Last of Us Part II has outsold Miles Morales and Ghost of Tsushima

kyliethicc

June 2020 to May 2021 - Total Dollar Sales in USA, Physical + Digital

#3 The Last of Us Part II - June 2020 to May 2021 (12 months)
#4 Spider man Miles Morales - November 2020 to May 2021 (7 months)
#5 Ghost of Tsushima - July 2020 to May 2021 (11 months)

The NPD group tracks the best selling games in the USA over the last 12 months. Meaning currently, we can see physical and digital dollar sales from June 2020 to May 2021. This covers the entire time all 3 big 1st party games from PlayStation have been on sale. We know Ghost sold over 6.5 million units, and since it ranks 3rd on this chart, we know all 3 games have sold at least 7-8 million units by now. A safe guess is Ghost of Tsushima has sold 7-8 million units, Spider-man Miles Morales has sold 8-9 million units, and The Last of Us Part II has sold 9-10 million units. So we now know The Last of Us Part II has been a big sales success for Sony. Also, interestingly, all 3 games have climbed higher since last month, showing strong sales momentum long after launch.

Miles Morales has been on sale for fewer months, but has benefited from being the major PS5 launch game. And it has since outsold Ghost of Tsushima. However, The Last of Us Part II has outsold Miles Morales so far, at least in terms of dollar sales. Miles Morales was a $50 game, not a $60 game, which makes its position here a bit more impressive. It would have had to sell more units (at a lower price) to overtake Ghost. If The Last of Us Part II and Miles Morales each sold the same number of units, at their full prices of $60 and $50 respectively, then The Last of Us Part II would rank higher in dollar sales. So there is a small possibility Miles Morales has outsold The Last of Us Part II in units, but thats also pretty unlikely. Many users will have paid less than $60 for The Last of Us Part II, making the price difference between it and Miles Morales basically a non-factor.

OC8NHgm.jpg

KyflfeR.gif

parrot GIF

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
MM was advertised as a ps5 game. Tlou2 is a sequel to a beloved game, while MM is a dlc game, sold as a full game.

As much as we like a guess, we also have to add game sales. Lau2 was on sale couple of time, which made its sales go up. Not to mention, it was released when people where on lockdown. While MM was released at the end of the lockdown.

Mm should outsold tlou2 by the end of this year. Its spiderman game. Ain't no way a horror game, would outsell a freaking spiderman game.

At the end of the day, I am happy ps5 is doing good sales.
The Big Lebowski Whatever GIF

Miles, beat that game on sales. Go miles.
Spider Man Marvel GIF by Achievement Hunter

SLB1904

Banned
Glad you liked it. I didn't.

BUT ya know something? I had critical medical issues at the time the game released...maybe that affected my judgement? Maybe I should give it another go, but right now my backlog is too big.
Tlous 2 is better than all your backlog. So there is that
Would Animal Crossing be number one or two with Digital included?
Neither

Last edited:

miles118

For all the shit people talk about the story, characters, agenda, etc. Some missed to play one of the best gameplay of last year.

ND is too good.
Best gameplay with 1 gun for Ellie ? Gameplay is enjoyable. But not much improved from the first game. Some new combat mechanics are there but not any innovation like they claim. When most of your game is about the story it's normal if people complain about the Story. I play a game to enjoy myself. I don't walk in a game store saying I want full clinical depression and most the protagonist dies or are destroyed. I just don't understand people like that. Good for those who like this game but I guess I am not in the category of those they are looking for.

yurinka

So in adittion to outsell Tsushima on EU it also outsold it in USA. In any case, nice to see TLOU, Morales and Tsuhima up there, even higher than Animal Crossing. Sony must be happy with their exclusives.

Would Animal Crossing be number one or two with Digital included?
These months Sony had a way higher percent of digital sales when compared to retail than Nintendo, so pretty likely whould be in the same position it is right now or would have increased maybe 1 position, but that's all.

The term 'dollar sales' is misleading, because afaik they're still counting the number of copies sold and TLoU's prices started dropping pretty quickly after the premiere, definitely faster than Tsushima's (for both digital & retail copies).
What is misleading here is 'outsold' and 'best selling'. In this ranking the games are sorted by dollar sales, which means the amount of money these games generated with their sales (not including DLC/IAP) instead of being sorted by amount of units sold.

This means that if TLOU2 price dropped faster than Tsushima and still considering that TLOU2 is above GoT in the dollar sales ranking, then TLOU2 outsold GoT by even a way bigger margin in terms of units sold.

Last edited:

Hezekiah

Banned
Yes it's full of woke nonsense story-wise, but even by the standards of Naughty Dog the game is a technical marvel so well deserved.

Arun1910

To actually post on Topic.

Agreed that Miles may make ground, same with Ghosts. Miles was marketed as PS5 only for a while and I assume people will want a PS5 for Ghosts perhaps too.

That said, well done on Sony for getting 3 big games on the charts.

who the hell actually thought ghost of tsushima would outsell last of us part 2 anyway? there was no chance of that happening and last of us is big enough to lose alot of fans but still sell a shit ton. also, naughty dog games have legs.

either way, doesnt matter which sony game outsells which. sony must be loving it, having 3 of their games in the top 10.

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I still haven't finished it. I think I'm going to do that on PS5. I want my golfclub to the face and my Fuck From Behind to be next-gen.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Do you remember when people said exclusive games don't matter? Pepperidge Farm does.
Remember when Bethesda made good games beforeicrosoft bought them? Pepperidge farm remembers.

Theres no denying that there's quality in these games, but let's not pretend that there would not be the same amount of hype if they weren't exclusives.

Someone on this forum literally said that it was a shame days gone and Horizon zero dawn got a PC release because these games had great quality until they were announced for pc.

Lupingosei

Banned
June 2020 to May 2021 - Total Dollar Sales in USA, Physical + Digital

#3 The Last of Us Part II - June 2020 to May 2021 (12 months)
#4 Spider man Miles Morales - November 2020 to May 2021 (7 months)
#5 Ghost of Tsushima - July 2020 to May 2021 (11 months)
So, TLOU 2 sold more in 12 months than Ghost in 11 and Miles in 7.

Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

What a success. That is probably why just a few weeks ago you were getting TLOU 2 plus TLOU 1 plus Spiderman plus Horizon Zero Dawn for 50 bucks here. So much success.

And just as another clue.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

What a success. That is probably why just a few weeks ago you were getting TLOU 2 plus TLOU 1 plus Spiderman plus Horizon Zero Dawn for 50 bucks here. So much success.

You show up in every sales thread trying to downplay it. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I always tell you to look up God of War, it was $17 - $25 dollars within the first 8 months of the games release.

SLB1904

Banned

why are you bringing European numbers here? who hurt you?

also 20 off on collectors edition i dont think is the bomba you think it is

Last edited:
Top Bottom