• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

KàIRóS

So Pokemon is incomparable, but you are using the most successful western RPG to compare with Persona 5? really? lol

The most succesful western RPG is Skyrim and I never mentioned it. Persona/SMT is the third most well known JRPG franchise after FF and Dragon Quest so I don't know why you're trying to belittle it.

The comparison was about Turn Based RPG vs Action RPG and yes again as much as some of you keep trying to cope against reality, the numbers are there, Action RPGs sell more than Turn Based RPGs, SE knew this and took a very easy choice of making the combat in XVI real time instead of turn based.

I am so close to buying this 670$ machine ONLY to play this game and they think FF16 is anything to worry about.

Would be amazing to see once sales tops the chart.
It made me pull the trigger. I've been holding out a long time... But after playing Spider-Man and having my order for FF XVI in since April... I bit the bullet. And that was before the demo even. So it was a system seller for me, even though I did wish it was more traditional, I think this will blow the shitty XIII and XV out of the water. It feels like it will. Soooooon.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The most succesful western RPG is Skyrim and I never mentioned it. Persona/SMT is the third most well known JRPG franchise after FF and Dragon Quest so I don't know why you're trying to belittle it.

The comparison was about Turn Based RPG vs Action RPG and yes again as much as some of you keep trying to cope against reality, the numbers are there, Action RPGs sell more than Turn Based RPGs, SE knew this and took a very easy choice of making the combat in XVI real time instead of turn based.
I LOOOVE turn based combat and disagree with anyone who says they are "outdated" but they are niche, same way tactics and SRPG are niche, we never going to get high budget turn based combat or SRPG, thats a fact.

Atlus can still keep doing turn based combat because Persona/SMT are not even close same budget as mainline FF game.

For me I dont mind if FF series go to action combat route as long as SE still makes turn based RPGs like Octopath. If they completely stop making turn based combat then thats when I take issue.

Last edited:
For those people keep saying “this is not FF”
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
I'm more sad for them. Look at a guy who keeps upvoting every negative post about this take on FF just because it's not to their taste. And you know very well who they are.

Sleepwalker

FF XVI is going to launch in what seems to be an extremely unpopular console for software sales. The game completely ditched its history in favor of something different, becoming a game that is Final Fantasy in name only. And the kind of gameplay and story it adopted seems to be far more popular in the west than the east. And in COMG!, FF XVI is at measly 71 points, just 3 weeks away from its release.

FF XVI is primed to have the worst performing first week sales the series had in a long time, at least physically. I personally predict that it won't even crack the 300k mark for the first week, and wouldn't be surprised if it landed around the 200k mark.

XVI is currently at 88 point in COMG(If you don't know what it is, its a pre order site of a chain of stores in Japan for games. Usually games do anywhere from x1000 to x1500 times the points it has at launch week), which seem to suggest that XVI might not even break 200k physically in the first week.

So yeah, the west will really need to make up for it.

I think we are close enough to FF XVI launch that we can now speculate how much it will do physically first week.

COMG numbers as of today for XVI is at 100 points. Assuming that it ends somewhere near 120 points, I think its fair to assume that XVI should sell somewhere between 120k to 240k physically first week, which would be a disastrous performance for a FF game in Japan, even if you assume that the digital split is 50%. I think the lowest selling mainline FF, and that's physical only, is around 700k.

So what are your guys prediction for the first week sales of XVI?

"it's at 71 points its going to do bad"

"its at a measly 88 points, its going to do bad"

"it's at 100 points it's going to do bad"

Michael Jordan Reaction GIF

Chukhopops

I love the direction FFXVI has went. I hope Dragon Quest is next to move toward action based. I wanna see the meltdown 😀
The Rock Eye Roll GIF by WWE

Really shines a light on the mindset of some people.

It’s not very likely considering how well XI sold and how conservative the DQ fanbase is, but I wouldn’t put anything past modern SE.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I love the direction FFXVI has went. I hope Dragon Quest is next to move toward action based. I wanna see the meltdown 😀

Do you playu dragon quest or just here to see the world burn.

Let FF be this and leave dragon quest the funk alone. Dragon Quest has always been great, final fantasy has suffered lately...so I can now stomach the change...after a difficult acceptance period. lol

kevm3

I think the demo really saved this game. For some reason, screenshots and even videos can make it look a bit dull, especially due to the more realistic and subdued color palette.

However, once you actually get into the game and play it, all of that goes to the wayside. Just from playing the demo alone, this might be my favorite FF aside from 6 or tactics. I'm interested in seeing how the full game goes, because it could become my favorite FF of all time.

People like you keep crying about how this game somehow is nothing like FF, when it is evertyhing FF down to changing the battle system which has been a thing established since the second fucking game.

You know nothing of Final Fantasy and just want a reason to bitch about a game people are hyped about.
I've been playing this series for 30 years. I know all about it. The series was always tinkering around with turn based and atb mechanics, not switching genres altogether. This is simply a FF themed action game like God of war. The mental gymnastics s people are doing to justify completely changing genres is wild.

There is a difference between “i am not excited for this. I will pass” and the endless parade of “this is fucking shit final fantasy is dead and i hope it fails” that we have been inundated with by people who made up their mind before the first trailer dropped.
Fans want their traditional jrpgs series to be....a traditional jrpg? And others are shocked, amazed, and annoyed that some fans don't like them completely abandoning this genre to make a single character action game to appeal to the masses? The shock. The horror!

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I've been playing this series for 30 years. I know all about it. The series was always tinkering around with turn based and atb mechanics, not switching genres altogether. This is simply a FF themed action game like God of war. The mental gymnastics s people are doing to justify completely changing genres is wild.
Fans want their traditional jrpgs series to be....a traditional jrpg? And others are shocked, amazed, and annoyed that some fans don't like them completely abandoning this genre to make a single character action game to appeal to the masses? The shock. The horror!

You claim you have been playign this series for 30 years, but try to project the very mental gymnastics you are doing onto others by denying the history and reality of how the games have shifted and changed. ATB didn't even exist until Final Fantasy IV. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 had wildly different combat systems. They weren't just "tinkering" with the ATB system.

Not to mention they have "completely shifted" gameplay for longer than they ever were "turn-based". Its time to move on and stop crying about something that hasn't been the case for this long.

Stop the mental gymnastics. Stop the projection. Actually *learn* something about the series you claim to have played for over 30 years.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The last traditional turn based mainline FF game released over 20 years ago. Time for you crybabies to begin the healing process and move on to the many other JRPGs that cater to you.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
The last traditional turn based mainline FF game released over 20 years ago. Time for you crybabies to begin the healing process and move on to the many other JRPGs that cater to you.

Literally. I love Turn-based RPGS/JRPGs as much as the next RPG fanatic and they never stopped making them. Bravely Default franchise, Dragon Quest Franchise, Octopath Franchise - plenty more on top of that. All released by Square Enix themselves. But now that I say this, goalposts will be shifted to some nonsense like "Oh its not the same, it doesn't have the same funding!" like that has ever mattered.

You claim you have been playign this series for 30 years, but try to project the very mental gymnastics you are doing onto others by denying the history and reality of how the games have shifted and changed. ATB didn't even exist until Final Fantasy IV. Final Fantasy 1 and 2 had wildly different combat systems. They weren't just "tinkering" with the ATB system.

Not to mention they have "completely shifted" gameplay for longer than they ever were "turn-based". Its time to move on and stop crying about something that hasn't been the case for this long.

Stop the mental gymnastics. Stop the projection. Actually *learn* something about the series you claim to have played for over 30 years.
Oh please, do continue to educate me. I hs e been playing this series since the very first on NES. The differences between these games were modest at best. They were still at the very least, at their essence, party based, menu driven, and often some flavor of turn based RPGs at their core. This game clearly is not. It's a single character action game.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Oh please, do continue to educate me. I hs e been playing this series since the very first on NES. The differences between these games were modest at best. They were still at the very least, at their essence, party based, menu driven, and often some flavor of turn based RPGs at their core. This game clearly is not. It's a single character action game.

As I said, moving goalposts. Thank you for proving my point.

As I said, moving goalposts. Thank you for proving my point.
What goal post? Because I disagree with your characterization that the series dramatically changed it's core mechanics with every entry? Well I do! The series was a menu driven, party and turn based traditional JRPG, and played around with that formula over decades. This is like stating water is wet. They have indeed been moving towards action more and more recently, and the series has been worse and worse for it. Now they said, the hell with it, the kids love them some single character action games, let's just do that instead. It's cynical, but it'll sell.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
What goal post? Because I disagree with your characterization that the series dramatically changed it's core mechanics with every entry? Well I do! The series was a menu driven, party and turn based traditional JRPG, and played around with that formula over decades. This is like stating water is wet. They have indeed been moving towards action more and more recently, and the series has been worse and worse for it. Now they said, the hell with it, the kids love them some single character action games, let's just do that instead. It's cynical, but it'll sell.
Sure Jan GIF

Keep crying, moving them goalposts, and denying reality.

Last edited:
Top Bottom