• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Square Enix tweeted today with a reminder that Final Fantasy VII Rebirth development is still progressing and they’re working on committing to a release date — likely still within the initial window of “winter.”

I bring this up because I had heard recently that Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV even accounting for the lesser number of launching platforms. Granted, those are pre-order numbers and they’re usually only useful to gauge guaranteed day-one sales (versus potential day-one sales), so the actual number could blow everyone away. But with the current tracking, I wonder if they want to remind people the next chapter of Final Fantasy VII’s remake trilogy exists and give it more marketing time than they had planned.

The initial sales of Remake were quite good, but it slowed down faster than Square Enix seemed to expect, so I imagine they really want Rebirth to sell as well as possible. Well, of course they do, but I imagine they’re really, really hoping for an uptick in sales.
This follows an interview Yoshida gave to Japanese online talk show Weekly Ochiai where he joked that he “wouldn’t want to look at the first week sales for Final Fantasy 16”. He was speaking specifically about the Japanese market, and added that he’s “laid out a plan for sales that would last 18 months.” He continued, as translated by Reddit: “I made a simple approach to try getting the shop to convince gamers to get Final Fantasy 16 together with their PS5 purchase.”
Too bad for them. Personally I am busy with Zelda TOTK and Street Fighter 6 in the coming weeks, and Steam sale end of this month + backlog. So I will be skipping this at launch

Last edited:

Pelao

I mean, it's one of my most anticipated games of the year and even I don't have it preordered yet because I don't preorder on principle anymore, especially now that games are $70.
Maybe I will once I try the demo, since at least then I'll know what the game is like. If not, I'll wait for the reviews.

Pejo

Shame. I myself am skipping a mainline game at launch for the first time ever. Waiting for impressions from people other than journos, the single character action combat focus has me a bit wary. If they can pull it off, could be fun, but Final Fantasy isn't what I look for, when I think of high octane skill based action combat.

I'll probably pick up the eventual PC version that they keep "wink wink nudge nudge"-ing about.

Then I watched the PAX east gameplay video and this part made me laugh.

RavageX

Personally I will never pre-order a game, companies need to be SMART and realize that a lot of companies that pushed preorders just for the game to be half finished and suck ruined it for those few that do a good job. Anyone can pretty up a trailer.

How about simply make a good game and let it release into the world.

RavageX

Shame. I myself am skipping a mainline game at launch for the first time ever. Waiting for impressions from people other than journos, the single character action combat focus has me a bit wary. If they can pull it off, could be fun, but Final Fantasy isn't what I look for, when I think of high octane skill based action combat.

I'll probably pick up the eventual PC version that they keep "wink wink nudge nudge"-ing about.

Then I watched the PAX east gameplay video and this part made me laugh.

I don't like that. There's a few games that pull that "push a button and watch a bunch of shit happen".

Well good luck to them. Sounds like a nice game but not my genre any more. One character no swapping, devil may cry mechanics? I am sorry but I didn't sign up for Bayonetta.

Final Fantasy was meant to be the best fantasy game Square could make. I guess the MMO is the closest thing to that now. A pity i don't like MMOs either.

The worst thing is that even Dungeon Crawlers are turning into Roguelikes. It just seems nothing I enjoyed the old games for has survived the modern day.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year

Too bad for them. Personally I am busy with Zelda TOTK and Street Fighter 6 in the coming weeks, and Steam sale end of this month + backlog. So I will be skipping this at launch

Yeah, we're totally going to believe the vague "report" from a former journalist who's totally not trying too hard to draw attention to his thin patreon about how many pre-orders a game has 😂

According to this dude, Square Enix talked about the release of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth because of FFXVI's (alleged) pre-order situation and totally not because it's been a year from its reveal and the game is coming this winter and it may have naturally been high time to say something. 😂

Come on folks. Do we really have to fall into the "insider" trap every time?

Last edited:

Madflavor

This is why I don't want to hear "Oh who cares what reviews say? You should just play the game and judge for yourself."

No. There's an actual legitimate reason this game NEEDS to have banger reviews and word of mouth. Final Fantasy is no longer a franchise that can sell on name and brand alone.

saintjules

Well there's this Brigade out there of people against pre-ordering and/or wait for reviews before buying. I don't think they should be concerned about pre-order numbers.

I might get it at this brick and mortar shop not too far away from me because they release new games the day before.

Rykan

Probably because it looks nothing like a Final Fantasy game.

I'm still intrigued by it because the combat looks nice, but I don't feel any excitement for it that I typically feel for a new Final Fantasy game. Nothing about this game looks or feels Final Fantasy. The fact that they keep mentioning how it's supposed to feel like a "WesTerN DrAmA" (Read: Game of Thrones) doesn't help it at all.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

Lack of confidence in Square over all? NFT? Forespoken? a few turds in the last few years, the current state of AAA development? I have faith in Yoshi-P and his team. So, this is pre-ordered, but the bare minimum required. I hate giving EB more than I have too. I would hope it does better then 15, that game wasn't great to me at all.

Well there's this Brigade out there of people against pre-ordering and/or wait for reviews before buying. I don't think they should be concerned about pre-order numbers.
especially when the road to the last entry and its eventual release was such a shitshow.

There is a lot of things going against FF16.

1. Diablo 4 releasing on the PS5. Diablo is a bigger game at this point and will take a lot of sales away from FF16.

2. Japan PS5 game sales are just underwhelming to say the least.

3. People are not buying new games as much because it is 70 dollars.

4. Timed exclusive on PS5 instead of releasing on Xbox and pc at the same time.

5. Previous FF games were underwhelming and damaged the FF brand.

Last edited:
Probably because it looks nothing like a Final Fantasy game.

I'm still intrigued by it because the combat looks nice, but I don't feel any excitement for it that I typically feel for a new Final Fantasy game. Nothing about this game looks or feels Final Fantasy. The fact that they keep mentioning how it's supposed to feel like a "WesTerN DrAmA" (Read: Game of Thrones) doesn't help it at all.
What is the main aspect you look forward to in a Final Fantasy game?

There is a lot of things going against FF16.

1. Diablo 4 releasing on the PS5. Diablo is a bigger game at this point and will take a lot of sales away from FF16.
different audinces for the most part
2. Japan PS5 game sales are just underwhelming to say the least.
Japan (as the bleeding edge of the videogame market) has been
underwhelming for a long time now. (since PS3)

3. People are not buying new games as much because it is 70 dollars.
if the game is trash.

4. Timed exclusive on PS5 instead of releasing on Xbox and pc at the same time.
nah.. Xbox is a zero to the left.
5. Previous FF games were underwhelming and damaged the FF brand.
this yes.

Fredrik

Bad release date. TOTK just released. People are still playing that, it’s a big game and it’s not like everyone can play several hours a day. I have done two temples. Maybe 30 shrines. Juggling FFXVI at the same time is not happening, it’ll be a later playthrough. I consider playing some SF6 since it’s a game easy to play in short bursts, but no purchase yet.

Someone here will still find a way to blame this on the game not being turn based. Who will be the first?
9FiMBbO.jpg

Guerilla Munch Guerilla Munch

different audinces for the most part

Japan (as the bleeding edge of the videogame market) has been
underwhelming for a long time now. (since PS3)

if the game is trash.

nah.. Xbox is a zero to the left.

this yes.

1. Diablo and FF16 will have some audience overlap since they are both RPGs. Granted they played differently.

Also, people are allowed to like more than one type of game.

2. This generation is worse than ever for Japan.

3. Not true, new game sells have been declining because it cost 70 dollars. It is basic economics. If price goes up, sells go down.

4. FF15 sold around 2 million at least on Xbox one and probably similar numbers on PC. FF16 will probably reach 10 million with ease in the long run if it released on all consoles and PC.

Not to mention keeping FF exclusive even timed will only hurt its brand. I hope square enix like sacrificing their franchise in the long run for short term gains.

Last edited:

Dthomp

I felt heavily burnt by FF15 and haven't really enjoyed a ff since 12 so I'll be waiting out a hefty sale on this one. I'm in the group that is very picky about my 70 dollar purchases as I hate that price point. Combat doesn't interest me ( I miss old school Turn based) and it just feels like usual FF team trickery of trying to sell you on pretty scenes that will likely be super cringey and likely make no sense story wise much like 15 (Didn't play the DLC so no idea if that improved).

Rather spend my money on Diablo 4 and SF6

I felt heavily burnt by FF15 and haven't really enjoyed a ff since 12 so I'll be waiting out a hefty sale on this one. I'm in the group that is very picky about my 70 dollar purchases as I hate that price point. Combat doesn't interest me ( I miss old school Turn based) and it just feels like usual FF team trickery of trying to sell you on pretty scenes that will likely be super cringey and likely make no sense story wise much like 15 (Didn't play the DLC so no idea if that improved).

Rather spend my money on Diablo 4 and SF6
I agree with you except on the part about SF6. Not a fan of fighting games

It shows how excited people are for new entry for a series.

It has long term implications on a franchise.

It could be a great game but if it's a cult hit, it won't get same budget next time. Nothing wrong with that BTW.
If the game sells poorly, it will hurt square enix severely. At this point, square is surviving off the FF and dragon quest IP. None of their new games are doing well.

It won’t be long before square goes bankrupt and either Tencent, Sony or Amazon would buy the studio.

1. Diablo and FF16 will have some audience overlap since they are both RPGs. Granted they played differently.
Not only do they play differently, but they also scratch a different itch.
Also, people are allowed to like more than one type of game.
Exactly. that is the point. FF is not offering the same things as Diablo to the same person who likes both.

2. This generation is worse than ever for Japan.
yeah. video games sell way more over here.

3. Not true, new game sells have been declining because it cost 70 dollars. It is basic economics. If price goes up, sells go down.
and a game being trash is not going to push people to buy a full price game.

aHyZJhi.jpg

5D9OVVG.jpg

"basic economics"

4. FF15 sold around 2 million at least on Xbox one and probably similar numbers on PC. FF16 will probably reach 10 million with ease in the long run if it released on all consoles and PC.
and as you stated with PS5 in japan:
Japan PS5 game sales are just underwhelming to say the least
Xbox sales are pretty underwhelming world wide.

so, FFXVI not being on xbox is not going to have a meaningful impact in sales.

Dthomp

If the game sells poorly, it will hurt square enix severely. At this point, square is surviving off the FF and dragon quest IP. None of their new games are doing well.

It won’t be long before square goes bankrupt and either Tencent, Sony or Amazon would buy the studio.

If it takes 16 doing poorly to get me a new amazing Dragon Quest game I look forward to cheering against 16 even more :)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
It won’t be long before square goes bankrupt

I really don't think you've taken a look at Square Enix's financials in the past decade, have you?

They have been consistently in the black for a long, long time. I can't even remember the last time they posted financial results in which they did not have a positive income.

They're not even in the same galaxy as "going bankrupt" despite what people who know nothing about the industry think. 😂

Top Bottom