• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

Ozriel

M$FT
Didn't FFXV took 6 years to reach the 10M mark? It was the fastest selling FF game and had triple the hype this one has. I don't think this will sell that much this fast.

7 Remake shipped 3.5 million in 3 days. I’d wager it sold more than FFXV in a shorter time frame

DaGwaphics

Lol! That’s not how it works.

Traditionally, that's exactly how it turned out in the early ps360 days when demos were the new thing. Nothing has prevented those demos from continuing to appear as a normal part of the release plan on PS4/X1 other than the results. But, we do still get high profile demos like RE4 and this one, obviously at times it works.

This could be a case that it works in, plus all the rumors and worry over the performance of the title don't seem to be substantiated by anyone credible anyway. LOL

I honestly don't see how the game can't sell quite a few units with Sony moving their bundles over to this one anyway. They have a lot of demand for the console and people will buy it along with whatever game they stick in there. My complete and total disinterest in the title likely colors my judgement on it as well, but I have no interest in Elden Ring either so hardly a sales indicator. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Maybe something a little more that moving to a “ room “ mash buttons and kill some bad guys.. then move to the next “ room “ watch a 4 min cutscene.. rinse and repeat … fight boss then finish stage. If that’s what FF will be then it will be very sad. FF with stages? 😭
YOu know fully well that isn't what this game is... and if that's what we are going to do... I could say the same about every FF game before this. Whenever peopedistill games into forms as basic as you have done this one, it no longer is a genuine argument because in truth the same can be said bout 95% of the games out there. Even the turn-based ones which I personally feel are worse offenders.

Anyways, not gonna get into it, your dislike of this game is apparent, which is fine, but I can't or won't get sucked into disingenuous debates about things. AlI am saying, is that if this game goes on to sell as well as I am thinking it would, then that pretty much means the market has decided what the future of FF games would be.
Didn't FFXV took 6 years to reach the 10M mark? It was the fastest selling FF game and had triple the hype this one has. I don't think this will sell that much this fast.
This is not FF15. I think the sales of this game will surprise people. And I don't know what you mean by tripe the hype, or how you are measuring that... anyways.. this is one of those things where there is no need to get into it. We wise how the sales are after 6-12 months.

Raven117

Traditionally, that's exactly how it turned out in the early ps360 days when demos were the new thing. Nothing has prevented those demos from continuing to appear as a normal part of the release plan on PS4/X1 other than the results. But, we do still get high profile demos like RE4 and this one, obviously at times it works.

This could be a case that it works in, plus all the rumors and worry over the performance of the title don't seem to be substantiated by anyone credible anyway. LOL

I honestly don't see how the game can't sell quite a few units with Sony moving their bundles over to this one anyway. They have a lot of demand for the console and people will buy it along with whatever game they stick in there. My complete and total disinterest in the title likely colors my judgement on it as well, but I have no interest in Elden Ring either so hardly a sales indicator. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Demos? New in the ps3/360 days? Guess my demo cd I got back in the 90s isn’t real. Have any receipts for your contention?

Simple answer, demo good, people buy game. Demo bad, people on the fence don’t buy the game.

You are making stuff up

Demon Souls, Ratchet and Death Stranding haven’t come close.

That said, FF7R did sell very well, so this has a great chance of selling very well too
Demon Souls and Ratchet and Clank were exclusively released first 6 months of PS5 generation, so of course neither of them reached 10 million. And both of those games were more of a PS5 showcase than a fully fledged big budget AAA Sony title. Death Stranding is obviously a very unique game that was incredibly difficult to market

Traditionally, that's exactly how it turned out in the early ps360 days when demos were the new thing.
Demos were kicking aggressively in the 90s for PC gaming. Hell for me that was the preeminent reason to buy PCGamer magazine every month - I played the hell out of the Daggerfall demo. Even in the late 90s for Playstation and Saturn. I still have many such demos - from magazines, corporate promotions like pizza hut, etc..

Reactions: Isa

DaGwaphics

Demos were kicking aggressively in the 90s for PC gaming. Hell for me that was the preeminent reason to buy PCGamer magazine every month - I played the hell out of the Daggerfall demo. Even in the late 90s for Playstation and Saturn. I still have many such demos - from magazines, corporate promotions like pizza hut, etc..

I should have said new for console. But even there they really weren't new. I used to love the demo disks from PlayStation magazine on PS1. As a gamer I love demos.

I guess I should have said that the easy to download, no subscriptions required demos were the new hotness at the start of the PS360 gen. That fad got dropped because of the end numbers.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

It will be considered a failure if it does. Pretty much all big budget Sony exclusive titles sell 10million plus. Its still early in the PS5 lifespan compared to when Persona 5 was released on PS4(more PS4's than PS5's available on release). But if FF16 gets a 90+ metacritic, I would be shocked if it didn't easily cross 10 million within 4-5 years of release.
Is it exclusive, though?

And not a timed-exclusive that will launch on PC and Xbox, eventually.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What are the predictions on what this does in 6 months? Around 5 to 6 million. I think that's possible.

The demo makes a strong case for why somebody should buy the game; especially Playstation audiences who have a lengthy track record of supporting similarly story-focussed blockbusters.

If it doesn't at least open strongly I'd be very surprised. Obviously barring horrific reviews or some other unforeseen thing that hurts its public perception.

Mid-term is a bit more clouded as heading into the holiday season there are so many big titles vying for attention, but, if the story manages to live up to the dramatic opening as seen in the demo I can see it having legs on the strength of positive word-of-mouth.

Not to get bogged down into all the culture war crap, but I can also see it being championed in certain circles as a return to tradition as it appears to eschew a lot of recent trends regarding representation and diversity.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
The demo makes a strong case for why somebody should buy the game; especially Playstation audiences who have a lengthy track record of supporting similarly story-focussed blockbusters.

If it doesn't at least open strongly I'd be very surprised. Obviously barring horrific reviews or some other unforeseen thing that hurts its public perception.

Mid-term is a bit more clouded as heading into the holiday season there are so many big titles vying for attention, but, if the story manages to live up to the dramatic opening as seen in the demo I can see it having legs on the strength of positive word-of-mouth.

Not to get bogged down into all the culture war crap, but I can also see it being championed in certain circles as a return to tradition as it appears to eschew a lot of recent trends regarding representation and diversity.

I think its obviously going to review very well going by the feedback on the demo. It's sonys big game until spiderman so I expect it will be huge.

Is it exclusive, though?

And not a timed-exclusive that will launch on PC and Xbox, eventually.
It will be an exclusive for at least a year. And most importantly, it is being marketed as an exclusive by Sony. With FF16 getting an enormous amount of attention at Sony State of of Plays

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It will be an exclusive for at least a year. And most importantly, it is being marketed as an exclusive by Sony. With FF16 getting an enormous amount of attention at Sony State of of Plays
From what I last read, it is only 6 months, but the developers said not to expect any ports to the PC or otherwise at the end of 6 months, that it would take longer due to the current development pipeline. They are focused on getting the PS5 version out first.

So, I can see at least a year as you said before a PC version.

Last edited:

Orbital2060

A couple of previews I read said specifically thats its a timed-exclusive title. While not mentioning any platforms but thats pretty obvious what they are. Sounded like they were going on information from the publisher in connection with writing the preview.

It would just be nice to know for sure, and for it not to end up like another FF7 remake situation. Hence the question mark.

Rykan

Especially with trends like this....

Really cant wait to see what some people do when this turns out to be the best-selling FF game ever.
There is no chance of that happening, lol.
FF sales are always extremely skewed towards PS platforms. And GOWR just did 11M sales in under 3 months or so, and I am sure the majority of those sales were on the PS5.

If the game is going to sell well, then don't see it not hitting 10M at worst by this time next year. Or at best by Christmas this year. There is also the benefit of it coming at a time when there is hardly much else new to play on the PS5. Except for Diabo and SF6. There is a long time between now and October when the games start dropping.
Oh yeah, nothing else to play on PS5. Just two of some the biggest franchises in gaming. Well there was that other game that released recently. What was it called again? Something something of the Kingdom? Probably not a big deal.

Last edited:
A couple of previews I read said specifically thats its a timed-exclusive title. While not mentioning any platforms but thats pretty obvious what they are. Sounded like they were going on information from the publisher in connection with writing the preview.

It would just be nice to know for sure, and for it not to end up like another FF7 remake situation. Hence the question mark.
I would be almost FF16 is coming to PC in next 18months. Probably 50/50 for Xbox consoles sometime down the line

RoboFu

One of the green rats
YOu know fully well that isn't what this game is... and if that's what we are going to do... I could say the same about every FF game before this. Whenever peopedistill games into forms as basic as you have done this one, it no longer is a genuine argument because in truth the same can be said bout 95% of the games out there. Even the turn-based ones which I personally feel are worse offenders.

Anyways, not gonna get into it, your dislike of this game is apparent, which is fine, but I can't or won't get sucked into disingenuous debates about things. AlI am saying, is that if this game goes on to sell as well as I am thinking it would, then that pretty much means the market has decided what the future of FF games would be.

This is not FF15. I think the sales of this game will surprise people. And I don't know what you mean by tripe the hype, or how you are measuring that... anyways.. this is one of those things where there is no need to get into it. We wise how the sales are after 6-12 months.
Do I? thats exactly what was in the demo. you walk into a room or closed off area. you get attacked. you spam attack and dodge some and move to the next room. you can add more attacks but it doesnt matter. the game even auto picks attacks based on... im not even sure whats it is based on lol .. combos maybe? 🤷‍♂️ you guys want to act like there is a lot more depth than there really is. its a very simple game. with very simple gameplay. even in the harder extra section I never had to switch Eikons. it was pointless. just spam the attack except in the boss fight where you have to dodge a little. I played through both difficulties and there was no difference. the story mode did seem to auto pick your attacks more.. IDK.

Can you even walk for one town to the other without warping to an insatanced area int he full game? I hope so. But we do know it will have replayable STAGES which is just crazy for a FF RPG.
I am still buying the game as I have played and beat every FF game at release. even imported the ones that didn't come to NA back in the day. So I will be there day 1 with popcorn and soda ready to watch this 10+ hour movie. 😓

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
remove the gacha shit from honkai star rail and it is a modern big budget turn based RPG
Most audience for that game care less about combat and more about whole gacha stuff. But hey if people are in to online only F2P gacha game then more power to them but I avoid those type of games.

sendit

It is. Stop moving goalposts, kiddo.
Um...What goal post? And what makes you say a mainline Dragon Quest:mainline FF budget is close?

- Voice acting? The amount of lines?
- Graphics?
- Sound?
- Advertisement?
- Animation?
- Art?

The budget isn't publicly advertised by the company. The eye test alone will tell you that FF franchise is on a whole different tier (budget wise) than Dragon Quest regardless on how you perceive the game.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Paging rofif rofif we have an unbeliever

Demon Souls, Ratchet and Death Stranding haven’t come close.

That said, FF7R did sell very well, so this has a great chance of selling very well too
Bernardougf Bernardougf you mfer keep going with the social media wind and you will skip on some of the best stuff.
Forspoken gameplay is good stuff!

Pitch black is my fav movie and it’s like 6/10. You never know

Ozriel

M$FT
FFXV sold 5 million on launch day.

Shipped, not sold. Shipped 5 million on Launch day, end November.

They hit 6 million shipped 2 months later. Clearly they slowed down on the shipment after the day one blitz to allow oversupplied stock to be sold through. Only hit 10 million sales by May 2022.

Guilty_AI

$89.99 CAD but I’m picking up deluxe edition so $129 CAD.
I don't think i ever spent that much money in a game

VP6pWIgWzIYf9HHh3FLVP5Spl_mYWTb8Y1NbPYOcTSY.png

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I'm as old-fashioned as you can get, so I'll wait for the physical edition. No pre-orders for me.

...now, my wife is gonna hate me when I come home with the collector's edition, but what can an FF fan do about it?

Así es la vida.

The collectors edition is only available via the square Enix online store.

benzy

Shipped, not sold. Shipped 5 million on Launch day, end November.

They hit 6 million shipped 2 months later. Clearly they slowed down on the shipment after the day one blitz to allow oversupplied stock to be sold through. Only hit 10 million sales by May 2022.

Doesn't matter since the VIIR number is shipped as well.

I just got around to finishing the demo last night, went to preorder the physical copy and the preorders are all sold out around me.
I may just get it digitally which I hate doing.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It's wild to me, people are casually ok with FF switching genres from being a menu driven party based JRPG, to a single character action game like god of war or devil may cry, and think, yeah man, this is great, this is the future.

This is what made me dig my heels in, but from everything ive seen and read over the last two weeks I've realized im the old man shouting at the cloud and no one seems to care at all.

After the incredible Xenoblade 3 I was dying for a return to form for Square with an amazing JRPG but ive now accepted that its a DMC action game with levels you fast travel to and will never be what I had hoped for. Looks to be an amazing game for everyone though..so I guess Square made the right decision.

Neither does the vocal minority and boy are they vocal. The Final Fantasy Fanbase is a very divisive creature. You got the OG's since FF1, you got the new age hipsters who don't even know the concept of turn based or ATB combat systems, you got the people that were introduced at either SNES, FF7-10 era, FFXI, FF13 and the FNC, FF14 which brings us to now with FF7-2(Remake, Rebirth, Re????) and FFXVI.

I agree with Nautilus to a degree but only to the degree that Final Fantasy does not know what it wants to be and reinvents the wheel with each mainline installment since FFX.

A topic about Preorders really shouldn't have 17 pages but it's probably the discussions that are making it that long.

FFXVI is tailored to be a story driven DMC/Bayo/GoW 50 hour long Game of Thrones Revenge Story focusing on just one character with what I assume to be very little if any party management.

The concerns about Preorders might be valid if the brand is as diluted as it is. With how great FF15(not at all) turned out to be it's rather fair to be concerned especially is a section of the fanbase only is interested in playing Mainline titles.

You will find that in contrast to the FF fanbase the Dragon Quest fanbase is not as divisive. Most Dragon Quest games are fantastic and people have no problems with them. And with each new DQ game you KNOW exactly what you are getting. With Final Fantasy you have no idea.
The fact that people think "a story driven DMC/Bayo/GoW 50 hour long Game of Thrones Revenge Story focusing on just one character" somehow equates to this being a FF RPG boggles my mind. Are modern gaming tastes so bad now that people are ok with this? Why must every AAA game be in this format, or some open world? I like having a diversity of genres, and the traditional JRPG is it's own genre, and this game is anything but that.

This is what made me dig my heels in, but from everything ive seen and read over the last two weeks I've realized im the old man shouting at the cloud and no one seems to care at all.

After the incredible Xenoblade 3 I was dying for a return to form for Square with an amazing JRPG but ive now accepted that its a DMC action game with levels you fast travel to and will never be what I had hoped for. Looks to be an amazing game for everyone though..so I guess Square made the right decision.
It seems deeply cynical to me. I get it, their flagship series, their moneymaker, was built on a genre that they now consider very niche again (traditional JRPGS and all the trappings), because casual mainstream gamers like twitchy GoW/DMC style action games or sprawling open world games "more". It's a real shame honestly. I read the developers make this case. They basically said, modern western gamers expect action, and we have sales goals to meet so, this is what you get. But the fact so many folks display the cognitive dissonance of calling this an RPG just as much as past games, seems disingenuous at best. To me, this feels like a slap in the face as a long time fan. But I guess we are the vocal minority now.

The fact that people think "a story driven DMC/Bayo/GoW 50 hour long Game of Thrones Revenge Story focusing on just one character" somehow equates to this being a FF RPG boggles my mind. Are modern gaming tastes so bad now that people are ok with this? Why must every AAA game be in this format, or some open world? I like having a diversity of genres, and the traditional JRPG is it's own genre, and this game is anything but that.

Literally the only thing different about the structure is the battle system.

This is a terribly silly comment

Literally the only thing different about the structure is the battle system.

This is a terribly silly comment
Not even slightly. And the "battle system" is a fairly sizeable chunk of a FF game. This is not an inconsequential difference. They went from a party based atb menu driven RPG series, to a single character action game like GoW. It's a different genre of game at that point. The cognitive dissonance on display by people saying this is an RPG, let alone a mainline FF style RPG is breathtaking.

Interfectum

Not even slightly. And the "battle system" is a fairly sizeable chunk of a FF game. This is not an inconsequential difference. They went from a party based atb menu driven RPG series, to a single character action game like GoW. It's a different genre of game at that point. The cognitive dissonance on display by people saying this is an RPG, let alone a mainline FF style RPG is breathtaking.
bitch slap GIF

Mr.Phoenix

sigh...

Top Bottom