• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Imran Khan "Square Enix is panicking slightly over Final Fantasy XVI preorder numbers, which are tracking behind FFXV"

Vlodril

FFXVI seemed to have a great demo and there is a lot of interest for it. What alternate reality is this where people are not interested or it's not ff enough (what the hell does that even mean).

NT80

buying games before user score and reviews come out these days is asking to get burnt, and with the cost of living crisis going on right now, a packed month with games like Zelda and Diablo most people cant afford to buy everything ... so not surprising that many haven't preordered.
And the really high price there charging.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think sales will be good, but part of me hopes they aren't, because I remember that quote that said the action-y direction is what the future of FF is going to be because they think that's what the fans want. Bad sales may have them rethink that and go back to a more traditional style. They seem to think an FF game designed with turn based combat or without open areas will destroy sales and they couldn't be more wrong about that.

sendit

just finished the 3 hour demo. Glad they put it out, because it sits firmly in the buy on sale camp for me now..
I’m in the same boat. I was pretty excited for a new mainline FF. However, after playing the demo, the game feels incredibly dated.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I think sales will be good, but part of me hopes they aren't, because I remember that quote that said the action-y direction is what the future of FF is going to be because they think that's what the fans want. Bad sales may have them rethink that and go back to a more traditional style. They seem to think an FF game designed with turn based combat or without open areas will destroy sales and they couldn't be more wrong about that.

They make plenty of "Traditional" RPGs that are Final Fantasy in nearly all but name. Bravely Default, Octopath Traveller, etc. Then you have smaller products like Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards Trilogy. That isn't even to go into other types of RPGs they release from action RPGs to strategy ones. These games never went away and they are just as good as the best ATB FF titles.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
They make plenty of "Traditional" RPGs that are Final Fantasy in nearly all but name. Bravely Default, Octopath Traveller, etc. Then you have smaller products like Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards Trilogy. That isn't even to go into other types of RPGs they release from action RPGs to strategy ones. These games never went away and they are just as good as the best ATB FF titles.
Imagine a traditional style RPG with the budget of an FF title.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Combat is the last thing I care about in a JRPG. What made FF15 shit was it's story and bland poorly designed open world that made absolutely no sense.

What did you not like about the game named after the number of minutes the character needs to push a broken down car in the desert at the start of the game for?

I never experienced FF15 until it was on PC for like £10 as the royal edition with all the terrible DLC.

The funniest part is the most I remember is Cid's tit's, some throw away tie in quest for a then dead mobile gatcha title which felt like it had better character interaction than the rest of the entire god damn game and...

Because after you did the Yoshi P FF14 side quest that's who the game "randomly" summoned every 5 minutes.

Occasionally I hear people say its underated or even great, I normally shut up at that point because I have nothing nice to say and you can't logic someone out of an opinion they didn't logic themselves into.

Last edited:

Ansphn

You're being selfish right now. Square has not been doing well these last few years so it's time for them to evolve. I swear some people rather a whole studio burn to the ground than to let them spread their wings and fly.

And this is why you don't do demos for high budget games.

Many, many times the demo itself will be enough to scratch that itch. Who knows how many sales they might have lost.

Demos can cut both ways; sometimes they hurt sales, sometimes they help.

It depends on the quality of the demo. 99% of impressions are overwhelmingly positive for the FF16 demo. It's been labeled by many as the best demo of all time for a game, and I agree. They were highly negative for Forspoken (hurt).

I think in this case the demo absolutely helps, and we are seeing the game rise high in the Amazon charts recently.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
And this is why you don't do demos for high budget games.

Many, many times the demo itself will be enough to scratch that itch. Who knows how many sales they might have lost.

You must be oblivious to the overwhelmingly positive response. There are undoubtedly more people who were either not interested at all (me) or on the fence who are now a solid day 1 based on their experience with the demo. I expect AAA developers to look at FFXVI as a case study and decide to construct/release compelling demos of their own in the future.

DaGwaphics

You must be oblivious to the overwhelmingly positive response. There are undoubtedly more people who were either not interested at all (me) or on the fence who are now a solid day 1 based on their experience with the demo. I expect AAA developers to look at FFXVI as a case study and decide to construct/release compelling demos of their own in the future.

Maybe, I highly doubt it on an IP this established though. Once you remove those that were going to buy it regardless from the discussion, things might still trend negative. It's something that might work for something that was completely off the radar if the demo is solid.

But, I admit I'm completely unaware of the demo or the reaction to it. It could certainly buck the traditional trends. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Maybe, I highly doubt it on an IP this established though. Once you remove those that were going to buy it regardless from the discussion, things might still trend negative. It's something that might work for something that was completely off the radar if the demo is solid.

But, I admit I'm completely unaware of the demo or the reaction to it. It could certainly buck the traditional trends. 🤷‍♂️
The reaction to the demo is going to build positive buzz in social media (specially Youtube). so, it depends on the algorithm if somone is going to be aware of it. I am just starting to see some videos from big youtubers to pop up today in my recoomended feed (i am not subscribed ) .

the reviews are going to be more important than the demo tho.

DaGwaphics

The reaction to the demo is going to build positive buzz in social media (specially Youtube). so, it depends on the algorithm if somone is going to be aware of it. I am just starting to see some videos from big youtubers to pop up today in my recoomended feed (i am not subscribed ) .

the reviews are going to be more important than the demo tho.

Sure, there would certainly be that component to it.

FOMO is a hell of a drug in gaming though, and once you've given users enough of a taste that they can talk to their friends about and generally "take part" in the new release, there is always going to be some risk there. Not so much that you lose sales even, just that you push sales further back down the line (reducing revenue). It's crazy how the FOMO can make gamers purchase something day one and play it for an hour or two and then finish up the rest 6 months or a year later. I'm always like why did you buy it day one if you weren't going to complete it for 6 months or a year anyway. LOL

But if they are getting incredible amount of buzz from it maybe it will help them make a splash.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
After watching a let’s play of the demo today I think the pre-order numbers will look healthier real soon 😻
Game exploded in popularity and if the reviews confirm it it’ll sell big like really big and on a long term steadily!

Fools idol

Banned
you say overwhealming response but I've seen just as many negative posts and reactions as positive.

DonJorginho

Banned
you say overwhealming response but I've seen just as many negative posts and reactions as positive.
That just simply isn't true, there's only a small minority being negative still and they're mostly made up of these two pools

1. Crybabies kicking up a fuss over the game moving on from boring turn-based combat.

2. People on Xbox being rightfully annoyed over platform exclusivity but overly hating on the game out of bitterness.

The wild majority of users I've seen, be it on Twitter, forums or YouTube, have all been EXTREMELY positive for the game and it feels like 6/10 posts I see related to the game right now are people literally buying PS5s just to play this game, even people who went into the game doubting it have come away extremely excited for the title and have responded by pre ordering.

A lot of people have had a hate boner for this game since the very start and would've never been pleased with the final product out of immaturity and spite. But luckily those few are dwindling in their numbers by the day.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Well looks like Ill be getting it day one if the reviews come through clutch. Looks like the combat gets a lot deeper and Ive been offered a copy for 15 pounds so I can't complain. Well worth it. I think my only real gripe now is the potentially boring Aikon/Eikon fights the performance in the 60 FPS mode. Sounds like each Aikon fight will be individual so maybe it was just the Pheonix one which wasnt great.

I suppose my biggest issue, is when do I actually get chance top play it. But for £15 its not really an issue.

DonJorginho

Banned
Nautilus Nautilus trying to do damage control whilst holding in the salty tears.

HPO9uyQ.gif

Brock2621

After playing the demo, I ended up ordering the collectors edition haha Such an awesome game and story awaits and I’m stoked

Mr.Phoenix

Wait and hope the next one is a real rpg? 🤷‍♂️
Come on... you aren't on that much copium are you?

If this game can push 10M units in the first year or by Christmas... we may never get another mainline FF that is turn-based after that.

The closest thing we would get to a party in an FF game if that happens going forward would be something akin to what kingdom hearts does.

Especially with trends like this....

Really cant wait to see what some people do when this turns out to be the best-selling FF game ever.
This isn't selling over 10M copies with just the PS5 version i think. But i hope i'm wrong.

The demo is changing people's minds about it. If it reviews well, who knows?

Mr.Phoenix

This isn't selling over 10M copies with just the PS5 version i think. But i hope i'm wrong.

The demo is changing people's minds about it. If it reviews well, who knows?
FF sales are always extremely skewed towards PS platforms. And GOWR just did 11M sales in under 3 months or so, and I am sure the majority of those sales were on the PS5.

If the game is going to sell well, then don't see it not hitting 10M at worst by this time next year. Or at best by Christmas this year. There is also the benefit of it coming at a time when there is hardly much else new to play on the PS5. Except for Diabo and SF6. There is a long time between now and October when the games start dropping.

Teslerum

If this game can push 10M units in the first year or by Christmas... we may never get another mainline FF that is turn-based after that.

The closest thing we would get to a party in an FF game if that happens going forward would be something akin to what kingdom hearts does.
Too often said about FF.

Will entirely depend on who's working on it and what they want to do.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I loved turn based but they are niche, you never going to see high budget turn based RPG, same reason you won’t see high budget SRPG or tactics games.

Thankfully for me I can enjoy both and LOOOVED FFXVI, so I’m there day fucking one.

remove the gacha shit from honkai star rail and it is a modern big budget turn based RPG

RoboFu

One of the green rats

Maybe something a little more that moving to a “ room “ mash buttons and kill some bad guys.. then move to the next “ room “ watch a 4 min cutscene.. rinse and repeat … fight boss then finish stage. If that’s what FF will be then it will be very sad. FF with stages? 😭

Guilty_AI

FF sales are always extremely skewed towards PS platforms. And GOWR just did 11M sales in under 3 months or so, and I am sure the majority of those sales were on the PS5.

If the game is going to sell well, then don't see it not hitting 10M at worst by this time next year. Or at best by Christmas this year. There is also the benefit of it coming at a time when there is hardly much else new to play on the PS5. Except for Diabo and SF6. There is a long time between now and October when the games start dropping.
Didn't FFXV took 6 years to reach the 10M mark? It was the fastest selling FF game and had triple the hype this one has. I don't think this will sell that much this fast.

Last edited:
Top Bottom