• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN editor accused of plagiarism in Dead Cells review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh God, he copied a yr reviewer. Tactical nukes from orbit seem suffice. Videogames are serious business.

Are you shit posting or do you actually think getting paid on the back of someone else’s ideas is ok while having a discussion about thin a gaming forum is not ok?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I guess I shouldn't have used the word objective but more like a standard that is followed for all reviews irrespective of who is the reviewer. Like say if one game is getting score reduced due to repetitiveness then it should be for other games as well or if a game is getting score reduced due to lack of replay value then it should be for others as well etc. Or like do as some other industries does and have a panel of reviewers do the review as opposed to just one person giving their opinion.

To clarify more, my point is more just that reviewers should just be clear in their personal likes and dislikes.

One reviewer can dock points for lack of replay value and another cannot for a different game for the same site. It's perfectly fine if the first reviewer makes it clear that replay value is something they care a lot about, and the other reviewer is clear that they couldn't care less about replay value as they're a "one and done and on to the next one" type of gamer.

So I don't think we're actually disagreeing that much as it's really just both wanting more transparency in reviews. It doesn't have to be consistency across reviewers on a site if the reviewers are articulate in why they like/dislike a game and why they gave it the score they did. If they're articulate then someone that doesn't care about replay value (in my example above) can disregard a review from someone that docked a game for lack of replay value--or vice versa.

I'll also agree entirely that the panel of reviewers approach is the best. I've never found any review source I liked as much as EGM back in the day. A mostly consistent (with changes overtime) review team that you could learn whose tastes matched yours the best, four opinions on all games, and stated relatively short and to the point. The best I can do now is just check reviews on a few sites, find a handful of people on differently places whose tastes seem to align with mine and read all of those reviews for anything I'm on the fence about.

Harlock

The situation shows that IGN need to do a better job in the hiring process. I don´t think they asked a single essay as test. "The guy do well on video? Good, hired!"

Vawn

Banned
Oh God, he copied a yr reviewer. Tactical nukes from orbit seem suffice. Videogames are serious business.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. It's not a big deal because it's just video games?

Gaming is a mega-million dollar business and IGN has millions of viewers. This was his career. Plagiarism is a big deal whether it's a novel, an article about stock trading, Broadway play reviews or any other form of entertainment including gaming.

I hate to see someone lose his dream career over a bad choice, but let's not act like it's no big deal because video games are just toys. No one is demanding he serve prison time, but still plagiarism cost this guy his career.

Petrae

The press *is* a serious business, irrelevant of the subject matter it covers. When you are getting paid as a member of the press, you’re expected to adhere to certain standards— like not stealing someone else’s content because reasons.

Dude deserves his ruin, as does anyone in the press who plagiarizes. He brought it upon himself.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
IGN has “parted ways with the reviewer.”

Just a bummer of a situation.

From what I can tell, this Filip guy had a pretty successful Youtube channel before coming to IGN and he seemed to suggest in one of his first IGN podcasts that he had some employees and the YT channel was still operating after his IGN move. I’m not 100% sure if this is correct, but it’s what I remember. I wonder if he’ll be able to transition back into a Youtube personality? That’d be interesting.

EDIT: I just looked it up and his Youtube channel is still up with almost 63,000 subscribers. Last video uploaded was 9 months ago though.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation IGN, now what happened to Marty Sliva?...

Last edited:

Dragonraine

Neo Member
Happy that IGN did the right thing when this came out. How lazy do you have to be to not create your own review? It wasn't even all that long so it's not like it would have taken an enormous amount of effort.
Wonder if the reviewer just didn't play the game and decided to try and find a review online and use that after having an oh shit, I have a review due moment?

camelCase

This shit hit Forbes this morning at 9:24am

Why would I read forbes? You can't open their page without some open handed plea for a subscription or something of the like. Seriously, they make it difficult for me to read their shit. And text articles can be pumped out in an excess of ~20 minutes if it's breaking. Videos much harder

camelCase

ALso was anyone offended by the IGN reviewers tone of voice? That was more objectionable than any plagiarism. The Guy sounded like a high school kid and it had such a smarmy, proud feeling about it. It makes the scandal ever more sweet to know that this hack won't be doing this for long.

GenericUser

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. It's not a big deal because it's just video games?

I hate to see someone lose his dream career over a bad choice, but let's not act like it's no big deal because video games are just toys. No one is demanding he serve prison time, but still plagiarism cost this guy his career.

It's not a big deal to me, because it's not a big deal imo. People make mistakes left and right, it's embodied in our human nature. He made a very unsmart mistake, was lazy, got punished for it, case closed. Not as if IGN was the uber credible gaming news outlet before that incident. Not really sure why people read that much into this.

Not going to further comment on this, because people are already getting really angry at me for voicing my opinion.

Last edited:
No, all I do is challenge and highlight the neo nazi supporters on here. I notice a funny thing about racists, they hate being called racists. I'm not going to stop either. Everytime some dingbat comes on and starts posting whatever hateful ignorance flaps round their minds, I'm going to challenge them. Its not going to stop. Nothing I've posted has been "routinely dismantled" and certainly not by you, you little cheerleader you. So get used to it man. If you post ignorant hateful nonsense then you gonna be seeing me and you better keep your box of tissues nearby cos I not going anywhere.
Name and shame and get your real opinions on racists out there so we can agree or disagree or quit turning threads into passive aggressive, reds everywhere Reagan era bullshit derailments please.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
No one should be trusting of 1 review and IGN haven't been worthy of that for years now. Gaf or Era are your best bets now
Even those I say aren't worth trusting, at least not impressions close to release. The honeymoon phase clouds a lot of people's judgement.

WaterAstro

Definitely should be losing the job over it. Damage to a company's public image costs more than this guy's salary or whatever he gets paid.

Not only that, he sealed his fate from any gaming media, and he's going to have trouble getting back to youtube. A real stupid decision to plagiarize someone else's work.

Last edited:

Makariel

It's not a big deal to me, because it's not a big deal imo. People make mistakes left and right, it's embodied in our human nature. He made a very unsmart mistake, was lazy, got punished for it, case closed.
Plagiarism is a big deal. I don't know why you downplay copying content and passing it on as your own work? If you can't come up with your own article you don't deserve getting paid as a writer, it's really simple. He was clearly not up for the job.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I remember when IGN hired him and I heard he was a “popular Youtuber”, my initial thought was “uh oh”. Natural reflex.

Halo0629

This is pretty embarassing and probably carreer ending as well, talk about being super lazy and just copying other people's work from word to word and thinking he could just easily get away with it. I hate to see people getting fired but this time he really deserved it.

Last edited:
Yeah, this guy won't working for the journalism industry anymore. First review he does and he plagiarizes lol. And it's even an lazy attempt at plagiarism. What was he even thinking? Did he really think he wouldn't get caught??

We can make all the jokes about how IGN reviews aren't trustworthy but they did the right thing in firing him as they have to protect their own brand.

baphomet

Yes, he is over punished.
He become an infamous person in the internet and lost many work opportunities because of that plagiarism. Why to rub salt into his wound. He has already been caught and punished.

Don't let IGN to throw another person under the bus and get away with it.
They are responsible for this situation. Filip would never give the game that he didn't play almost a perfect score, without being supervised by editor who told him what to do so.

It is the brand IGN should take all responsibility and sufferings, not the person.

Lol, no. It's most definitely the person who willingly committed plagiarism who should take the responsibility and be punished for his actions.

Grinchy

Banned
I really don't understand anyone who thinks that firing him was the wrong move. Anyone writing content for a living who is caught plagiarizing is going to get fired. You can even get kicked out of college for plagiarizing your own previous work, let alone using someone else's. There's nothing to defend here.

camelCase

I don’t really see anyone hoping for Filip Miucin to suffer. It’s not just himself he’s hurting though — he’s done damage to IGN and maybe beyond.

Would anyone who reads IGN seriously care about this? The place has been a farce for like a decade.

Zannegan

I honestly doubt this is the first time he's done this. You don't just wake up one day and decide you're going to throw your personal journalistic standards to the wind to complete one review by deadline. Youtubers are going to be going over his reviews with a fine-toothed comb now--both his stuff from his time at IGN and before--and I bet more accusations of plagiarism (legitimate and deluded) are going to come up.

Would anyone who reads IGN seriously care about this? The place has been a farce for like a decade.

I'd argue that they've had some really good people on the site in the last ten years, especially on the Nintendo channel, even if the overall direction of the place is a bit... shall we say "typical"? Unfortunately Apple and Nintendo keep poaching the best ones. People also liked the Kinda Funny crew before they spun off, though I was always lukewarm on them.

Anyway, all that to say, I read the site from time to time and I care. I never liked Filip's style as a presenter, but he seemed harmless enough for a talking head. Turns out, not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom