• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN editor accused of plagiarism in Dead Cells review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vtecomega

Banned
What exactly is resetera saying this time? (I refuse to go there).

Those people honestly need help. They salivate over any reason to burn anyone and everyone at the stake over the slightest offense.

Made a sexist comment 7 years ago that just came to light? You should lose your job, your family and deserve death threats.

You voted conservative? Well, you are an alt-right Nazi who should is undeserving of common human decency respect.

You made a harmless joke on Twitter about the feminist movement. All your good work and friendships over years of working at IGN and KindaFunny are forfeited and you should be ostracized from the gaming community.

Sorry. My rant's over now.

What gets me is they somehow have a big influence on the industry and you find most western developers join and contribute to that shit hole of a place. Sony santa monica, naughty dog, guerrila games, pretty much all first party sony devs join in on a cringe worth sjw circle jerk party.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
None taken.

Its not just based on bias. or liking. An e.g. is what another poster said above. One game getting ratings reduced because the sequel has the exact same combat whereas other games not getting judged for the same, one open world game getting praise for its open space with scenic beauty and another getting complaints for just open space and nothing much to do etc. The point of a reputed website releasing a review should be more than just a well written statements based on just one person's opinion. Nowadays youtuber, blogger reviews are much better and on point than these site reviews. That is the reason I don't even care about any reviews but try to watch some gameplays etc. and then decide whether I should get the game or not.

My point remains. Individual reviewers need to have consistent standards, sites/magazines don’t IMO.

People should find individual reviewers with taste close to theirs, rather than caring what Gamespot or IGN “gave” a game. The sites and magazines don’t review games, the reviewers do. And reviewed move around sites/publications as well.

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
My point remains. Individual reviewers need to have consistent standards, sites/magazines don’t IMO.

People should find individual reviewers with taste close to theirs, rather than caring what Gamespot or IGN “gave” a game. The sites and magazines don’t review games, the reviewers do. And reviewed move around sites/publications as well.

No offense but the above highlighted sentence makes no sense. The reviewers are employed by the sites/magazines so in the end it is their review and should be held accountable to them. It's different from a site like Metacritic posting a user's review who is not employed by them so they are just hosting the opinion of an external party.

The Skull

sucks that someones gonna lose their job simply for being lazy

lesson learned, don't be lazy

That's trivialising it just a tad. Someone is getting fired becuase they stole someone else's work and tried to pass it off as their own. Hopefully this will be a lesson to Filip that he can't get by in life by stealing.

Porcile

What a dumb statement man.
Not all youtubers are like him.

The vast majority of YouTubers are amateur content creators with no real life work place experience for the content they are making. The content they do produce mostly goes completely unchecked and very rarely has to stand up to any scrutiny in a professional environment.

How many times in the last year or two have organisations been burned by bad publicity because of their relationship with this sort of content creator?

The easy lesson here is don't hire a completely inexperienced guy like this to be the editor of a major part of your website and not expect unprofessional and amateur mistakes.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
The vast majority of YouTubers are amateur content creators with no real life work place experience for the content they are making. The content they do produce mostly goes completely unchecked and very rarely has to stand up to any scrutiny in a professional environment.

How many times in the last year or two have organisations been burned by bad publicity because of their relationship with this sort of content creator?

The easy lesson here is don't hire a completely inexperienced guy like this to be the editor of a major part of your website and not expect unprofessional and amateur mistakes.
latest

stop doing this ^

Porcile

We'll see who IGN hires as it's next Nintendo editor then, seeing as how this job opened up pretty quickly.

That's trivialising it just a tad. Someone is getting fired becuase they stole someone else's work and tried to pass it off as their own. Hopefully this will be a lesson to Filip that he can't get by in life by stealing.
thats probably exactly how he got through HS and college

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
No offense but the above highlighted sentence makes no sense. The reviewers are employed by the sites/magazines so in the end it is their review and should be held accountable to them. It's different from a site like Metacritic posting a user's review who is not employed by them so they are just hosting the opinion of an external party.

What I’m saying is there is no reason that reviewer A for Gamespot (or whatever) can’t dock a game for some issue that’s a pet peeve of theirs while reviewer B ignores it in a review of another game as it doesn’t bother them.

They’re different people with different preferences and reviews are subjective. It would be lame as hell if reviewers had to conform to some hivemind of Gamespot (or wherever) so that the site had consistency in opinions across reviews written by different people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silvawuff

I think the implications here go far beyond the plagiarized review itself. The writer who lost his job will probably never be able to work in this field again, even if this was a one-off bout of laziness on his end. I don't think this has anything to do with amateur vs. "pro" content creation. In this case the pro did something unprofessional that affected the integrity of his former company, and was brought to justice for it.

Drake

They did the right thing. If you want to be considered a legit journalistic entity you need to have a zero tolerance policy for this stuff.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
Yet again resetera threathing this as a fucking manhunt.

Those loons really have no filter at all
Great to see this site is less fucking insane these days 🤣

Meanwhile over here we have people downplaying Nazi salutes as "mean gestures." An entire thread full of banned ex Resetera members pretending they weren't kicked out from there while crying about how awful that forum is. Credulous morons posting videos that have zero substance or any kind of actual journalistic integrity. Open support for far right thugs like Tommy Robinson, and right here in this thread it takes 12 posts before some dingbat starts whining about feminism. God knows what feminism has to do with a dodgy IGN review but logic and rational thought are just alien concepts to some. So yeah, Resetera might have it's problems but if I were you I wouldn't be so smug about it because as far as I can tell the only difference between the nutters who plague this place and the nutters who plague that place is which side of the loonybin they crawled out of.

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
What I’m saying is there is no reason that reviewer A for Gamespot (or whatever) can’t dock a game for some issue that’s a pet peeve of theirs while reviewer B ignores it in a review of another game as it doesn’t bother them.

They’re different people with different preferences and reviews are subjective. It would be lame as hell if reviewers had to conform to some hivemind of Gamespot (or wherever) so that the site had consistency in opinions across reviews of different written by different people.

I get what you are saying and understand that this is the way it is now. I just don't like the way this system is currently. I don't want a hivemind mentality but just some professional consistent standards to be followed for giving or docking points in review. I understand that they will never do that as well because most of the reviews by these so called reputed sites are not meant to actually provide with objective info but to generate as many clicks as possible for their revenue and/or be in the good books of the publishers who advertise through them. I guess it is what it is.

Vawn

Banned
Meanwhile over here we have people downplaying Nazi salutes as "mean gestures." An entire thread full of banned ex Resetera members pretending they weren't kicked out from there while crying about how awful that forum is. Credulous morons posting videos that have zero substance or any kind of actual journalistic integrity. Open support for far right thugs like Tommy Robinson, and right here in this thread it takes 12 posts before some dingbat starts whining about feminism. God knows what feminism has to do with a dodgy IGN review but logic and rational thought are just alien concepts to some. So yeah, Resetera might have it's problems but if I were you I wouldn't be so smug about it because as far as I can tell the only difference between the nutters who plague this place and the nutters who plague that place is which side of the loonybin they crawled out of.

Is this an actual thing? Can you link to the person(s) saying such things?

Or is this another case of equating someone having different politics as "being a Nazi".

Lister

Banned
I get what you are saying and understand that this is the way it is now. I just don't like the way this system is currently. I don't want a hivemind mentality but just some professional consistent standards to be followed for giving or docking points in review. I understand that they will never do that as well because most of the reviews by these so called reputed sites are not meant to actually provide with objective info but to generate as many clicks as possible for their revenue and/or be in the good books of the publishers who advertise through them. I guess it is what it is.

What objective info could they possibly review in a video game? I guess they could rate graphics and performance, and that's about it.

Reviews of video games or movies are subjective.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Fair enough. We'll just have to agree to disagree. I’m fine just finding reviewers who have similar liked and dislikes to me and not caring what site or magazine they’re publishing in currently and whether they’re consistent with other reviewers writing for that outlet.

Spukc

That is some dense cherry picking you did there.
jason schreier is kicking him down even harder.
and defending his journalism when people say to take it down a notch.
Dude did something stupid and he got fired,
Right now resetera made a thread about how glad they are that the NVC host is gone.And who will be next.
And circle jerking how great it is, he is gone.
it's like some people forget he is an actual person with feelings.
Fyi i would never make an account in that cesspool. Neogaf got cured.

Last edited:

Petrae

IGN has “parted ways with the reviewer.”

Just a bummer of a situation.

This was the expected result. The plagiarizer will be blacklisted (as he deserves), the game will get its fair shake with the publication, and the publication can begin to work to regain trust— if it can.

I was banned from Era for "Defending transphobic and racist behaviour." for saying that people need to keep their cool and try to view things from all perspectives before witch-hunting someone during the Subnautica fiasco, that's literally all I said.

That place is an echo-chamber of extremist views, intolerance for different viewpoints and mental illness.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
That is some dense cherry picking you did there.
jason schreier is kicking him down even harder.
and defending his journalism when people say to take it down a notch.
Dude did something stupid and he got fired,
Right now resetera made a thread about how glad they are that the NVC host is gone.And who will be next.
And circle jerking how great it is, he is gone.
it's like some people forget he is an actual person with feelings.
Fyi i would never make an account in that cesspool. Neogaf got cured.

Highlighting the type of nonsense that's been posted on this site recently in response to that poster's criticism of another site is not cherry picking. Neogaf didn't "get cured." The only thing that happened is one bunch of crazies were replaced by another. If you were never a member of that place then why would you care about what gets posted on it?

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Highlighting the type of nonsense that's been posted on this site recently in response to that poster's criticism of another site is not cherry picking. Neogaf didn't "get cured." The only thing that happened is one bunch of crazies were replaced by another. If you were never a member of that place then why would you care about what gets posted on it?

Mate, all you do is whine and complain about how everything is being turned into some neo-nazi supporting, alt right forum. Just stop, it is getting sad. Your multiple attempts at trying to "prove" such have been routinely dismantled. Just move on as it is clear you have no interest in discussions/debates.

Last edited:

Spukc

reminds me what a shithole neogaf was.
be sure to call me a nazi that will help

Last edited:
Mate, all you do is whine and complain about how everything is being turned into some neo-nazi supporting, alt right forum. Just stop, it is getting sad.
This guy has Era poster material written all over him, anything that doesn't fall into a leftist minded style of posting behavior is immediately peddling right wing facism or some other nonsense.

These types live in a state of you're either with us or you're alt-right, I'm so sick of it.

MC Safety

People need to stop considering reviews as journalism. They are criticism, not journalism. Journalism is objective reporting (outside op-ed/opinion sections), not people's opinions on the quality of things. The journalism part of websites/magazines are the breaking news, in-depth previews of upcoming games, interviews with developers, pro gamers and so forth. Reviews are the critical part, and the opinion stuff is the op-ed section essentially and those have different standards than journalism as they're inherently subjective/opinionated vs. just reporting facts in an unbiased manner (if it's good journalism anyway).

We're getting off topic, but these threads often sort of meander into what it means to be a game journalist or the perceived inadequacies of the medium.

Saying some opinion writing qualifies and other parts don't is foolish. Journalism is a catch-all, an umbrella under which a lot of different kinds of storytelling falls. It also encompasses a lot of different roles.

To get back on topic, the dismissal seems appropriate, although I wonder if IGN failed to instruct this (new?) employee as to what, exactly, was expected from a game critique. A working knowledge of journalism might not be a requirement for a new hire, but if that is the case, all new editors/content producers need to be taught the essentials.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
I was banned from Era for "Defending transphobic and racist behaviour." for saying that people need to keep their cool and try to view things from all perspectives before witch-hunting someone during the Subnautica fiasco, that's literally all I said.

That place is an echo-chamber of extremist views, intolerance for different viewpoints and mental illness.

I join Resetera when it start cos someone sent me a discord invite but I never bother to post on there. I lurk it but then I start seeing the same crazy people on there that made this place look bad, and I see the daily white boy explaining racism threads and I don't want nothing to do with that bullshit, there's nothing some white college boy can teach me bout racism. Before anyone jump up, just settle, I not saying white people shouldn't discuss racism or don't have experience of it. I'm saying the daily threads about it on there are just the same old rehashed bullshit that used to be on here, it gets old.

That said, Resetera got crazies like this place got crazies. You want examples of mental illness and intolerance you don't have to go far. I just highlighted some in my last post. Back in the old days this place had a moderator called Bish and he was a bad guy and it was obvious he was a bad guy for a long time just in the way he'd go into a thread and start threatening people and his little groupies would celebrate and egg him on. Nobody want to see that nonsense again but you got to have balance. That means you got to keep the crazies under control because otherwise normal people gonna come here, see posts where racist thugs are portrayed as innocent victims of the state and the Nazi salute is described as just a mean gesture and they gonna nope right on out the door. Normal people not gonna tolerate that shit. The balance on Resetera is out one way and the balance here is out the other, but hopefully in time it even itself out.

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
What objective info could they possibly review in a video game? I guess they could rate graphics and performance, and that's about it.

Reviews of video games or movies are subjective.

I guess I shouldn't have used the word objective but more like a standard that is followed for all reviews irrespective of who is the reviewer. Like say if one game is getting score reduced due to repetitiveness then it should be for other games as well or if a game is getting score reduced due to lack of replay value then it should be for others as well etc. Or like do as some other industries does and have a panel of reviewers do the review as opposed to just one person giving their opinion.

Arkage

Banned

The difference is that Resetera bans people on ideological grounds to the point where you need to walk around on eggshells concerning a wide variety of political topics, whereas NeoGAF bans people due to direct profanity/threats and not much else. I'd rather be here arguing with conservatives than there getting banned by liberals who want to keep their safe space bubble intact.

Snoopycat

Banned
Mate, all you do is whine and complain about how everything is being turned into some neo-nazi supporting, alt right forum. Just stop, it is getting sad. Your multiple attempts at trying to "prove" such have been routinely dismantled. Just move on as it is clear you have no interest in discussions/debates.

No, all I do is challenge and highlight the neo nazi supporters on here. I notice a funny thing about racists, they hate being called racists. I'm not going to stop either. Everytime some dingbat comes on and starts posting whatever hateful ignorance flaps round their minds, I'm going to challenge them. Its not going to stop. Nothing I've posted has been "routinely dismantled" and certainly not by you, you little cheerleader you. So get used to it man. If you post ignorant hateful nonsense then you gonna be seeing me and you better keep your box of tissues nearby cos I not going anywhere.

Spukc

I join Resetera when it start cos someone sent me a discord invite but I never bother to post on there. I lurk it but then I start seeing the same crazy people on there that made this place look bad, and I see the daily white boy explaining racism threads and I don't want nothing to do with that bullshit, there's nothing some white college boy can teach me bout racism. Before anyone jump up, just settle, I not saying white people shouldn't discuss racism or don't have experience of it. I'm saying the daily threads about it on there are just the same old rehashed bullshit that used to be on here, it gets old.

That said, Resetera got crazies like this place got crazies. You want examples of mental illness and intolerance you don't have to go far. I just highlighted some in my last post. Back in the old days this place had a moderator called Bish and he was a bad guy and it was obvious he was a bad guy for a long time just in the way he'd go into a thread and start threatening people and his little groupies would celebrate and egg him on. Nobody want to see that nonsense again but you got to have balance. That means you got to keep the crazies under control because otherwise normal people gonna come here, see posts where racist thugs are portrayed as innocent victims of the state and the Nazi salute is described as just a mean gesture and they gonna nope right on out the door. Normal people not gonna tolerate that shit. The balance on Resetera is out one way and the balance here is out the other, but hopefully in time it even itself out.
Keep saying daily white boy or white college boy.
Makes you sound real tough.

Resetera is filled with loons.
Neogaf is a neutral ground.But you are so deep down that rabbit hole you have no clue what is normal anymore as most loons on that forum.

Last edited:

Snoopycat

Banned
The difference is that Resetera bans people on ideological grounds to the point where you need to walk around on eggshells concerning a wide variety of political topics, whereas NeoGAF bans people due to direct profanity/threats and not much else. I'd rather be here arguing with conservatives than there getting banned by liberals who want to keep their safe space bubble intact.

I haven't seen every ban but I imagine they ban a lot of people for a lot of different reasons. I say they probably ban too many people but they get a lot of traffic so maybe it's in proportion, I don't know. I look at the site from time to time and I see some silly things on there like big red warning signs on topics and posters being warned for what looks like nothing, but like I say their moderation is obviously out of balance so I don't bother to post there.

iconmaster

Banned
Maybe discussion of other forums could move to its own separate thread — not that there’s much left to say on the topic anyway.

Snoopycat

Banned
reminds me what a shithole neogaf was.
be sure to call me a nazi that will help

I didn't call you a Nazi but man, you sure rushed to that label didn't you. I noticed you also ignored everything I posted but you got nothing to say, just yapping at my heel, so I not surprised.

Spukc

I didn't call you a Nazi but man, you sure rushed to that label didn't you. I noticed you also ignored everything I posted but you got nothing to say, just yapping at my heel, so I not surprised.
Your first reply was about neogaf houses nazi's.
Your second reply was about white boys.
And you are not labelling people? Shitposting 101

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™

Crazies are everywhere these days unfortunately. That's what a certain level of internet anonymity does to people.

Lister

Banned
I guess I shouldn't have used the word objective but more like a standard that is followed for all reviews irrespective of who is the reviewer. Like say if one game is getting score reduced due to repetitiveness then it should be for other games as well or if a game is getting score reduced due to lack of replay value then it should be for others as well etc. Or like do as some other industries does and have a panel of reviewers do the review as opposed to just one person giving their opinion.

Imagine keeping track of that though, what a nightmare. Not to mention that again, all of those measures are subjective, even if everyone agrees to some type of system like this, everyone's tolerance of say, "repetitive" is going to differ, and therefore some will knock more points than someone else for the same issue, and some might not even see an issue! One guy's repetitive, is another guy's fun grind.

This is why I think review scores are kind of pointless and rather arbitrary. Talk to me how you feel about the game, it's mechanics, it's story, etc, and get across your feelings, expectations. That should give me enough info to know if I might enjoy the game or not.

Last edited:

NewYork214

I stopped going to ign a few weeks ago. Every other article was pushing politics down the readers throat. I think it was the sicario 2 review that finally got me to quit using them.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
as far as I can tell the only difference between the nutters who plague this place and the nutters who plague that place is which side of the loonybin they crawled out of.
No, the difference is that over there you get banned for having a divergent viewpoint. I'd wager you'd be banned for what you've said here already on that site. Let's create an account for you and find out.

DilWSTS

In a time where most people go to youtube to consume news. It was the right thing to do and do swiftly by IGN to try to keep a reputation or an audience actually going to their site.

Yes, he is over punished.
He become an infamous person in the internet and lost many work opportunities because of that plagiarism. Why to rub salt into his wound. He has already been caught and punished.

Don't let IGN to throw another person under the bus and get away with it.
They are responsible for this situation. Filip would never give the game that he didn't play almost a perfect score, without being supervised by editor who told him what to do so.

It is the brand IGN should take all responsibility and sufferings, not the person.

That is some conspiracy. It is more reasonable to say that his first solo project had less eyes on it and pressure got to him and he did something that amounts to professional suicide.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Amazing. That's why I consider hard to trust game reviews/scores. We don't even know if the person actually played the game. Maybe he/she just copied some bits from other reviews and made his/her own.

Me too!, i never trust in 100% the reviews, and i admit... im a enemy of some reviews. Because its like you say... many of them just copy-paste and give the same rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom