• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IGN editor accused of plagiarism in Dead Cells review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silvawuff

It seems to me both sides are getting very strong promotions -- positive and negative -- since this story went viral. I don't really bother reading IGN anything; I find a lot of their reviews carry the same bland format and buzz terminology. While I have no doubt that there's some plagiarism here on IGN's side, the material they're ripping off seems like it would be pretty easy to rip off on a basis of how it's constructed and worded.

The real winner here is Dead Cells, which totally deserves all the love and attention it's getting.

-MD-

Manhunt? That's a sexist word. Don't you mean personhunt? I'm afraid we're going to have to ban you from the internet now because we can't bear to live in the same universe as someone as obviously sexist as you are.

:ROFLMAO:

Too real.

"McFly, I needed this review yesterday, do you have any idea what would happen if I turned in my video review with your written review"

Vawn

Banned
What exactly is resetera saying this time? (I refuse to go there).

Those people honestly need help. They salivate over any reason to burn anyone and everyone at the stake over the slightest offense.

Made a sexist comment 7 years ago that just came to light? You should lose your job, your family and deserve death threats.

You voted conservative? Well, you are an alt-right Nazi who should is undeserving of common human decency respect.

You made a harmless joke on Twitter about the feminist movement. All your good work and friendships over years of working at IGN and KindaFunny are forfeited and you should be ostracized from the gaming community.

Sorry. My rant's over now.

Last edited:

EDarkness

I think it's pretty blatant that he did it and I also think he should take the heat for it if it turns out to be true. He did it intentionally and should have understood the risks. Stealing someone's work is serious business and even though I thought the guy was cool, that doesn't mean he should be able to get away with this.

Vawn

Banned
I think it's pretty blatant that he did it and I also think he should take the heat for it if it turns out to be true. He did it intentionally and should have understood the risks. Stealing someone's work is serious business and even though I thought the guy was cool, that doesn't mean he should be able to get away with this.

I agree, but I hope he doesn't lose his job. He even may deserve to, but that's a huge blow to someone's life over a single stupid lack of judgement.

kunonabi

What exactly is resetera saying this time? (I refuse to go there).

Those people honestly need help. They salivate over any reason to burn anyone and everyone at the stake over the slightest offense.

Made a sexist comment 7 years ago that just came to light? You should lose your job, your family and deserve death threats.

You voted conservative? Well, you are an alt-right Nazi who should is undeserving of common human decency respect.

You made a harmless joke on Twitter about the feminist movement. All your good work and friendships over years of working at IGN and KindaFunny are forfeited and you should be ostracized from the gaming community.

Sorry. My rant's over now.

The mods closed the thread because people were being mean to game journalists but it seems to be open again.

That should tell you all you need to know.

Petrae

I agree, but I hope he doesn't lose his job. He even may deserve to, but that's a huge blow to someone's life over a single stupid lack of judgement.

Plagiarism is enough to get you expelled from most universities and severe discipline in other schools. In the press, it’s the kiss of death.

Stupid lack of judgment or not, he still made the decision to commit such an offense and if it means that he is blacklisted— so be it. There is no excuse for plagiarism. None.

iconmaster

Banned

Yeah, personally I would be cool with Filip getting a second chance. Seems he's only been there since November.

I think it's just impractical, though. His byline will be suspect forever now.

Obviously plagiarised, unless taken heavily from a press release as a poster said above. I'm interested to see what happens next.

Last edited:

hecatomb

Banned
No one should take ign reviews seriously. Not after them complaining about how dragon quest games use the same combat, then turn around and give every Pokemon game a 9 out of 10, even though they have been using the same combat since red and blue, and are both rpgs.

Iaterain

I am ashamed to admit that I was tricked to buy a few games that were scored very high by most of mass media and those games turned out to be a complete garbage. I couldn't understand how anyone can like those games.

Today I learnt that vIdeo game mass-media including youtubers (50k+) are the most corrupted form of communication.

I don't trust them anymore. They are just fooling us to buy some mediocre games that don't worth our time and money.

I'm not surprised that IGN's reviewer didn't play the game that
he scored 9.7. It is only makes sense.

Please don't hate Filip Miucin, he made a terrible mistake and he is already over punished for that.
It isn't his fault that review industry is a cancer. IGN must take full responsibility for that situation.

Roobtoob

Neo Member
I studied journalism in college and despite me diverging onto a different career path I'll always remember what my law and ethics course taught me about the severity of plagiarism. Basically, It's a big NO NO that will destroy a writer's integrity, potentially blacklist them from the industry, and can lead to legal troubles for the company. It also displays the writer's lack of work ethic and can damage the media outlet as well. His actions are inexcusable and he'll be remembered as a thief. It sucks for him. I believe in redemption and I hope he can survive working somewhere else within the industry, but his actions merit termination. Boomstick Gaming's work was stolen and the thief is in the spotlight.

hecatomb

Banned
You can't trust ign, or any big name reviewers. You don't know how much anyone is paying them to review their games, squrenix, capcom, blizzard, or any big name game company can drop them a million bucks to give them good reviews even if the game is crap.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
You can't trust ign, or any big name reviewers. You don't know how much anyone is paying them to review their games, squrenix, capcom, blizzard, or any big name game company can drop them a million bucks to give them good reviews even if the game is crap.

I'm skeptical that this happens, but it's probably a discussion for another thread. (Gerstmann losing his job over Kane and Lynch strikes me as a very notable exception.)

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The "You can't spell ignorance without I.G.N.™" thing goes back over a decade, maybe more. Even before the mass exodus from GS over Eidos and GS trying to force Gerstmann to give Kane and Lynch a higher score people would say that on the comments and forums.

IGN used to have a whole section called "Babes", where they would have "Babe of the Day" and "Guide to Babes". This might have even made it to it's own tab on the main page, I'll have to try to find some old page caches.

That's neither here nor there, but it's interesting that a games media that plagiarizes, has a history of front page misogyny, and is on the take has the gall to consistently and conveniently downplay their own shortcomings while casting the first stone in so many cases.

Last edited:

Petrae

Please don't hate Filip Miucin, he made a terrible mistake and he is already over punished for that.
It isn't his fault that review industry is a cancer. IGN must take full responsibility for that situation.

“Over punished”? Come on. When you willfully commit an egregious offense like he did, he earns whatever shitstorm comes his way. It’s a completely separate situation from the “cancerous” review realm that you’re positing here.

I don’t care what level of press you work in. There’s no excuse for not understanding that plagiarism is never okay. He and he alone made the judgment call to potentially sacrifice his career for a shortcut. Sure— IGN can be criticized for not vetting this guy better or doing enough to check its submissions for plagiarism before they go live, but there absolutely needs to be some personal responsibility here. Staff should know better, especially at the professional level, that plagiarism is not only unacceptable... but will cost you everything, even after a first offense. If editors have to constantly babysit and cross-check staff submissions because they have to worry about plagiarism, then it’s time to get a new staff who understands the severity of committing such an act.

MMaRsu

Banned
I am ashamed to admit that I was tricked to buy a few games that were scored very high by most of mass media and those games turned out to be a complete garbage. I couldn't understand how anyone can like those games.

Today I learnt that vIdeo game mass-media including youtubers (50k+) are the most corrupted form of communication.

I don't trust them anymore. They are just fooling us to buy some mediocre games that don't worth our time and money.

I'm not surprised that IGN's reviewer didn't play the game that
he scored 9.7. It is only makes sense.

Lol @ this post

"I was influenced by the corrupt games media to buy games that were bad, so all games media is a cancer. I am not to blame at all for not using critical thought but instead following along media like a sheep. Also please dont hate on the reviewer that plagiarized someone else's work because its really the games corrupt media's fault ".

Get yourself together man.

Yet again resetera threathing this as a fucking manhunt.

Those loons really have no filter at all
Great to see this site is less fucking insane these days 🤣
I mean, those folks scoff at the idea of ethics in journalism, so I’m not surprised at all.

Petrae

My favourite quote from that thread was "I don't know Filip personally, but I'm sure this was an honest mistake". Olympic level mental gymnastics right there folks.

Good Lord. Plagiarism is rarely an “honest mistake”— and even in the .00037% of cases where it is, there are still severe consequences.

Absolution from personal responsibility needs to stop being a thing.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Lol @ this post

"I was influenced by the corrupt games media to buy games that were bad, so all games media is a cancer. I am not to blame at all for not using critical thought but instead following along media like a sheep. Also please dont hate on the reviewer that plagiarized someone else's work because its really the games corrupt media's fault ".

Get yourself together man.

No kidding. At the end of the days, reviews are opinions as it's mostly subjective outside of bugs/glitches/broken games. If someone is buying highly-rated games and hating most of them that doesn't mean mainstream reviewers are wrong, or that they're being bribed or any other such nonsense. It just means that person probably has tastes pretty far outside the mainstream and aren't going to like a lot of games that the mainstream press and average joe/jane gamer loves.

Reviews are a great tool for helping decide what to try out with our limited time and budgets, but one has to know their own tastes and find reviewers that they tend to agree with and not just look at the big sites or meta critic if they know their tastes are out of the mainstream. I'm pretty mainstream and know what genres I like so it's easy for me. A game in a genre I like, from a developer that has a good track record with me that's getting mostly good to great reviews is a safe bet most of the time. For things outside my comfort zone I'll read more reviews and try to find what they liked and didn't like and how those match up with what I personal like and dislike in games. It's not rocket science, it just requires a little self reflection and critical thought to make the most of reviews.

hecatomb

Banned
I'm skeptical that this happens, but it's probably a discussion for another thread. (Gerstmann losing his job over Kane and Lynch strikes me as a very notable exception.)
Well it could happen, some business person could just walk up to a random employee who works for ign, and could offer them a ton of money.

Last edited:

Iaterain

“Over punished”? Come on. When you willfully commit an egregious offense like he did, he earns whatever shitstorm comes his way.

Yes, he is over punished.
He become an infamous person in the internet and lost many work opportunities because of that plagiarism. Why to rub salt into his wound. He has already been caught and punished.

Don't let IGN to throw another person under the bus and get away with it.
They are responsible for this situation. Filip would never give the game that he didn't play almost a perfect score, without being supervised by editor who told him what to do so.

It is the brand IGN should take all responsibility and sufferings, not the person.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
I understand when people re-write something from someone, but the dude used the same words... Not cool.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
#ethiscsinjournalism

Video game journalism really needs an overhaul. It is bottom of the barrel these days.

The Skull

They are responsible for this situation. Filip would never give the game that he didn't play almost a perfect score, without being supervised by editor who told him what to do so.

It is the brand IGN should take all responsibility and sufferings, not the person.

Gonna need to see the receipts on this one. At this point, unless Filip comes out and states this, it is pure conjecture.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Yeah this person should be fired. If you do this at university your are normally finished. Except some certain feminist blogger who stole lets play footage without giving credits

It is odd how she got away with that with zero repercussions.

Last edited:

Iaterain

Lol @ this post

I don't think that my opinion is a subject to laugh at. It is rude.
The reviews are glorified advertisement and shouldn't be trusted.

For example, every single person who bought this game was fooled by mass media and youtubers. Only bribed and corrupted journalists would ignore all flaws and praise this trash. The main goal of reviews is "to sell", not to review.

Makariel

That's pretty bad, first video by himself and caught red handed. Is he still on probation? If yes he's not gonna last, if no I'd still not bet on him being around too long. At least not headlining articles.

Petrae

Yes, he is over punished.
He become an infamous person in the internet and lost many work opportunities because of that plagiarism. Why to rub salt into his wound. He has already been caught and punished.

Don't let IGN to throw another person under the bus and get away with it.

That’s some tinfoil hat-worthy stuff you’re posting.

First: He chose to work for a prominent website like IGN. He could’ve chosen a different path, but didn’t. So before he became an “infamous person”— as a result of his own actions— he chose to become a pretty visible person.

Second: We “rub salt into his wound” because plagiarism is a severe offense in the press. Doing it not only at one of the most well-known websites around is going to get plenty of notice. His actions have caused a ripple effect, not only at his place of employment, but also within his circle of colleagues. He’s going to catch shit, and a healthy amount of it. All of this could have been avoided had he not stolen another source’s work.

Third: IGN hasn’t (yet) thrown him under the bus. He did that himself, honestly.

Fourth: IGN’s responsibility exists in that it was the site that the stolen material was published on. It can be argued that an editor-in-chief should be checking all submissions before they go live, but that doesn’t minimize the fact that this person made the decision to plagiarize. He did that. Unless you can gather the proof that clearly points to a senior editor ordering him to steal that content, your conspiracy theory is worthless.

Fifth: The score isn’t the problem. It’s the stolen content that is. Arguing about inflated review scores is irrelevant here.

Sixth: Fuck the notion that IGN has to bear all of the responsibility for this dude’s actions. That’s a blatant redirection away from the personal responsibility that comes with his job. Ignorance of plagiarism and its consequences isn’t an excuse, and editors should not have to babysit staff who don’t know how to put together their own work. If you employ a staff of writers that you can’t trust not to plagiarize, then it’s time to fire every last person and start again.

People make mistakes, sure, but this is willful. No accident. You don’t accidentally steal shit from someone else. Willful offenses demand severe consequences— full stop.

At this point, the guy should consider himself lucky that the content owner doesn’t want to pursue legal action... because then, he’d be beyond fucked. As of now, he can choose another career path that doesn’t involve press or writing.

I don't think that my opinion is a subject to laugh at. It is rude.
The reviews are glorified advertisement and shouldn't be trusted.

For example, every single person who bought this game was fooled by mass media and youtubers. Only bribed and corrupted journalists would ignore all flaws and praise this trash. The main goal of reviews is "to sell", not to review.

Holy crap. You’ve lost the plot. Whataboutism— bu-bu-but reviews are CROOKED, man!— isn’t at all a good look. You’re purposely ignoring the offense at hand here. Save the review rants; they’re completely irrelevant in this thread.

Last edited:

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
No kidding. At the end of the days, reviews are opinions as it's mostly subjective outside of bugs/glitches/broken games.

You see right here this is what I have problem with. Its subjective and opinion when it is coming from an individual who is independent and not associated with any company. But when it comes from a company in the form of IGN's review, Eurogamer's review etc. then it should follow a set of standards and guidelines set by the company as part of their professional standards and anyone employed by them should be following those standards consistently for all reviews. This should prevent some of those inconsistencies that we see when two different persons (or sometimes the same person) from the company hold the same thing to different standards due to their liking or bias.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
IGN used to have a whole section called "Babes", where they would have "Babe of the Day" and "Guide to Babes". This might have even made it to it's own tab on the main page, I'll have to try to find some old page caches.

Go back to the 90's and 2000's every gaming magazine was full of ads that objectified women. Look at all of the E3 videos back then. Booth babes galore. It was mainly for geeky teens and 20 somethings. It was everywhere, not just IGN. Not saying it was right but it was was it was.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You see right here this is what I have problem with. Its subjective and opinion when it is coming from an individual who is independent and not associated with any company. But when it comes from a company in the form of IGN's review, Eurogamer's review etc. then it should follow a set of standards and guidelines set by the company as part of their professional standards and anyone employed by them should be following those standards consistently for all reviews. This should prevent some of those inconsistencies that we see when two different persons (or sometimes the same person) from the company hold the same thing to different standards due to their liking or bias.

Nah, that's just silly IMO--no offense.

The only standard sites should have for reviews are things like:

• Reviews be well written (and well produced for video reviews)--they need to be better than random people's internet forum/youtube reviews as these are professional sites
  • That the reviewers played enough of the game to review it thoroughly (ideally finish it, but that can be unreasonable for very long games that publishers don't provide early enough before release)
  • That reviewers aren't assigned to things they are biased against. Don't give an RTS to someone that hates the genres and so on
Otherwise, reviews are inherently subjective and are just one persons critical option on a game/movie/whatever. It's not the site/company reviewing it--just that one person. Or multiple people for some publications like EGM back in the day that had four reviewers score most titles.

People need to stop considering reviews as journalism. They are criticism, not journalism. Journalism is objective reporting (outside op-ed/opinion sections), not people's opinions on the quality of things. The journalism part of websites/magazines are the breaking news, in-depth previews of upcoming games, interviews with developers, pro gamers and so forth. Reviews are the critical part, and the opinion stuff is the op-ed section essentially and those have different standards than journalism as they're inherently subjective/opinionated vs. just reporting facts in an unbiased manner (if it's good journalism anyway).

I'm a journalist, plagiarism is the single worst thing a journalist can do. Yes, it's somehow even worse than spreading fake news. Congratulations IGN.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Go back to the 90's and 2000's every gaming magazine was full of ads that objectified women. Look at all of the E3 videos back then. Booth babes galore. It was mainly for geeky teens and 20 somethings. It was everywhere, not just IGN. Not saying it was right but it was was it was.
I'm not judging booth babe culture in any way. I should have clarified that. To be more succinct, this behavior from IGN is not surprising. They have their own slogan for it even.

Vawn

Banned
Well it could happen, some business person could just walk up to a random employee who works for ign, and could offer them a ton of money.

Not really. It would get out. All these companies have plenty of people eager to leak anything they can - from E3 announcements, corporate secrets, workplace grievances, etc.

Also, if say, Capcom was paying all the sites for good reviews, all it would take is one organization to have the morals to say no and bring that practice to light.

It isn't happening, at least not in America. No idea if things are different in Japan or other parts of the world.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap did press jump on this fast. Seeing videos from Jim Sterling and yongYea in my feed

Not surprising. As others have posted, plagiarism is pretty much THE cardinal sin among journalists. Stealing from others is even more frowned upon than making up quotes etc., which is probably the second worst thing you could due in the eyes of a quality journalist.

Dragon_Rocks

Gold Member
Nah, that's just silly IMO--no offense.

The only standard sites should have for reviews are things like:

• Reviews be well written (and well produced for video reviews)--they need to be better than random people's internet forum/youtube reviews as these are professional sites
  • That the reviewers played enough of the game to review it thoroughly (ideally finish it, but that can be unreasonable for very long games that publishers don't provide early enough before release)
  • That reviewers aren't assigned to things they are biased against. Don't give an RTS to someone that hates the genres and so on
Otherwise, reviews are inherently subjective and are just one persons critical option on a game/movie/whatever. It's not the site/company reviewing it--just that one person. Or multiple people for some publications like EGM back in the day that had four reviewers score most titles.

People need to stop considering reviews as journalism. They are criticism, not journalism. Journalism is objective reporting (outside op-ed/opinion sections), not people's opinions on the quality of things. The journalism part of websites/magazines are the breaking news, in-depth previews of upcoming games, interviews with developers, pro gamers and so forth. Reviews are the critical part, and the opinion stuff is the op-ed section essentially and those have different standards than journalism as they're inherently subjective/opinionated vs. just reporting facts in an unbiased manner (if it's good journalism anyway).

None taken.

Its not just based on bias. or liking. An e.g. is what another poster said above. One game getting ratings reduced because the sequel has the exact same combat whereas other games not getting judged for the same, one open world game getting praise for its open space with scenic beauty and another getting complaints for just open space and nothing much to do etc. The point of a reputed website releasing a review should be more than just a well written statements based on just one person's opinion. Nowadays youtuber, blogger reviews are much better and on point than these site reviews. That is the reason I don't even care about any reviews but try to watch some gameplays etc. and then decide whether I should get the game or not.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

Lots of stuff already said. It's a negative on both the writer and the company. The writer will probably be gone, but the damage done to the company will linger for a long time. People will now second guess all of their reviews and wonder if it was copied from somewhere else.

On the plus side, maybe it'll get rid of this thesaurus-muching style of review. Yes, yes, yes your vocabulary is packed with adverbs and adjectives.

hecatomb

Banned
Not really. It would get out. All these companies have plenty of people eager to leak anything they can - from E3 announcements, corporate secrets, workplace grievances, etc.

Also, if say, Capcom was paying all the sites for good reviews, all it would take is one organization to have the morals to say no and bring that practice to light.

It isn't happening, at least not in America. No idea if things are different in Japan or other parts of the world.
I just don't like game reviews, cause reviews are only based 99% of the time on only one persons experience of playing the game. And a lot of game reviewers have double standards, like how they'll say they don't like something, but its ok to have it in other game. Then you have reviewers that don't like anything Nintendo does, or someone who only likes final fantasy or Pokemon rpgs, and hates every other rpg.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom