• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the last big graphical generational leap was with open world games between 6th and 7th gen

nkarafo

If you compare games like GTA 3/Vice City/San Andreas with GTA 4/5, the difference is massive. It's not just a bump in resolution and visual effects. Everything looks primitive in PS2 gen open world games, with blocky buildings and character models, empty environments, bad draw distances, bad animations, etc. I don't remember such a graphical leap more recently between any other genre. Even today, GTA 5 looks great, despite being originally a 360/PS3 game. The more refined current gen re-release compares easily with any current gen game despite having the same old engine.

So, open world games became really good looking on the 360/PS3, with only small upgrades ever since. Is there some other type of games that had a similar visual leap more recently?

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
grand_theft_auto_1997.jpg

vs

gta3.gif

Going to have to go with PS1 -> PS2.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
360/ps3 was a huge leap too. We've got a lot games previously impossible or perfected.

V4skunk

Banned
I think this next gen will have more of an improvement than X360PS3 > XbonePS4.
This gen has a huge increase in cpu power over last gen and the new console gpus are higher end than last gen, especially for xbox.
Also the ssd will be a big deal in adding variety to in game assets, should be much less copy+paste trees and bins everywhere etc in game.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If Horizon Forbidden West looks exactly like Zero Dawn, but has a significantly denser world with more impressive AI, I'm all for it. This graphics focus is unhealthy for the medium. Gameplay is king.

Did you play any last gen games recently? The frame rates are not very pleasant. Not to mention the resolution if you play on a decent sized TV.

Last edited:

Zannegan

Graphics still have a ways to go, but I think there's only really room to refine from here on out. I don't expect any more huge leaps, beyond what we got in, say, Uncharted 4, except for maybe ray tracing.

I'm hoping the next big jumps will be in terms of interactivity and reactivity in the gameplay environments--both in terms of physics and AI. Destruction on a level of Crackdown 3's initial reveal (for a start) combined with an AI that rebuilds what you destroy and reacts to strengthen its defenses where feasible or abandon the area when not would make for a much more interesting experience than city blocks of beautifully-textured, non-interactive nothings, IMO.

Hell, I'd settle for more realistic vehicle damage and traffic AI that isn't made up of morons as a first step.

Last edited:
Top Bottom