• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
32" is about the perfect 4k size and if they make a great 32" 4k 144hz panel I will be on it.
I am still thinking about it. I am ok with 60hz but will 27"4k to 32"4k jump be worth it for size alone? The lg 32un650 also has way better dci p3 coverage so a bit more vibrant colors

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I am still thinking about it. I am ok with 60hz but will 27"4k to 32"4k jump be worth it for size alone? The lg 32un650 also has way better dci p3 coverage so a bit more vibrant colors

For me just moving to 32" would not be worth it without getting 144fps plus the HDR 600 my current display has. While not true HDR its more then enough for me gaming at night being 3 feet away from my face.

Side note Best Buy has been having 3080 prebuilts come in and out of stock recently and a good friend recently got this Thermaltake for $2800 because of some coupon he had.

He flipped the AIO cooler as to not have the tubes on top but says the system is super quiet and blazing fast.

And yeah price is still high but for a prebuilt for those who dont want to build one themselves and actually being able to find one makes the price tolerable for me anyhow.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...-memory-1tb-gen4-nvme/6457066.p?skuId=6457066

Only if you think there's build-up, such as fluid gunk or algae growth. Gunk won't be an issue with plain distilled water, and algae is prevented by adding a few drops of biocide.
Thanks another question, it seems like you don't have any bends in your build, yet everything seems to be measured to fit precisely. Did you have to cut the brass tubing? or did you buy precise lengths after manually measuring distances for the case?

For me just moving to 32" would not be worth it without getting 144fps plus the HDR 600 my current display has. While not true HDR its more then enough for me gaming at night being 3 feet away from my face.

Side note Best Buy has been having 3080 prebuilts come in and out of stock recently and a good friend recently got this Thermaltake for $2800 because of some coupon he had.

He flipped the AIO cooler as to not have the tubes on top but says the system is super quiet and blazing fast.

And yeah price is still high but for a prebuilt for those who dont want to build one themselves and actually being able to find one makes the price tolerable for me anyhow.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/therma...-memory-1tb-gen4-nvme/6457066.p?skuId=6457066
Maingear also has some prebuilts with watercooling for people that are into that. Some start from reasonable prices.

Excess

Thanks another question, it seems like you don't have any bends in your build, yet everything seems to be measured to fit precisely. Did you have to cut the brass tubing? or did you buy precise lengths after manually measuring distances for the case?
Yes, you can use a tube cutter, the kind you pick up at a Home Depot for in-home piping. But usually, you don't need to use fittings on every bend as I did, because clear PETG tubing can be bent with a heat gun (See my previous build below). Brass, on the other hand, is a bitch to bend, so I used fittings for that. Although, I have seen some stores that will sell brass tubing pre-bent with 90-degrees, so there may be that option.

aTOroKf.png

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Maingear also has some prebuilts with watercooling for people that are into that. Some start from reasonable prices.

Maingear makes gorgeous machines

That Thermaltake from Best Buy is hard to beat for the price, if you can find anything in stock anywhere.

Yerd

imo 40" 5K is the end game for PC monitor, with HDR1000 of course.

Oooh. I've been wondering when the resolution for ultrawides would get bumped. I'm still running the very first acer predator ultrawide. This dell maxes out at 60hz. So all the 320hz people will be crying. Still will be a struggle for any GPU to run this resolution.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I have a Maximus XII Hero motherboard and I'm using bios 1003 which says "Add a Re-Size BAR Support option to enhance GPU performance".

There's a newer beta bios 2004 that says "improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards".

I don't have a 30 series card yet, but is there any way to know which cards have resizable BAR support with each of these bioses? I'd rather not use a beta bios... maybe a new one will release soon. It would be nice to not have to update my bios though if my current one would work fine.

Last edited:

small_law

I have a Maximus XII Hero motherboard and I'm using bios 1003 which says "Add a Re-Size BAR Support option to enhance GPU performance".

There's a newer beta bios 2004 that says "improve ReSizable BAR compatibility for NVIDIA RTX30 series graphics cards".

I don't have a 30 series card yet, but is there any way to know which cards have resizable BAR support with each of these bioses? I'd rather not use a beta bios... maybe a new one will release soon. It would be nice to not have to update my bios though if my current one would work fine.
Both the mobo bios and the card's firmware have to support rebar for it to work. My ROG X570 Formula supports rebar, my FTW3 3090 doesn't as of right now, so no rebar. I read there's only two 30 series cards that have it right now. The rollout has been slow.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Both the mobo bios and the card's firmware have to support rebar for it to work. My ROG X570 Formula supports rebar, my FTW3 3090 doesn't as of right now, so no rebar. I read there's only two 30 series cards that have it right now. The rollout has been slow.
Have you checked with the latest precision x1? I hear the update is out now

Question!
I just sold my 2080ti for big bucks and I was wondering if I should just upgrade my computer or fresh build
Should I get the corsair hydro kit and overclock my 8700k and upgrade my PSU and eventually get the 3080 or just do a new build?

GreatnessRD

Question!
I just sold my 2080ti for big bucks and I was wondering if I should just upgrade my computer or fresh build
Should I get the corsair hydro kit and overclock my 8700k and upgrade my PSU and eventually get the 3080 or just do a new build?
Gotta ask yourself the age old question... does your current build do what you need it to do? My personal opinion, I'd say upgrade only if you need to because doing a completely new build in this climate probably won't age well. Microcenter just raised the price on the 5600x to $350. GPUs are 1k. Just absurd right now.

Gotta ask yourself the age old question... does your current build do what you need it to do? My personal opinion, I'd say upgrade only if you need to because doing a completely new build in this climate probably won't age well. Microcenter just raised the price on the 5600x to $350. GPUs are 1k. Just absurd right now.
Tbh it does
Microcenter is selling the hydro kit $500
I wanted to put it in my system
over clock to 5ghz and upgrade my psu andgpu

GreatnessRD

Tbh it does
Microcenter is selling the hydro kit $500
I wanted to put it in my system
over clock to 5ghz and upgrade my psu andgpu
Well, I guess getting the kit and upgrading your PSU wouldn't hurt. Then you can grab a GPU when they're either in stock, or the prices aren't stupid. Just no need to build an entire new system if your current parts are working for your needs. Unless you just like burning money just because and you got it like that, lol

Well, I guess getting the kit and upgrading your PSU wouldn't hurt. Then you can grab a GPU when they're either in stock, or the prices aren't stupid. Just no need to build an entire new system if your current parts are working for your needs. Unless you just like burning money just because and you got it like that, lol
but this is the watercooling kit I want, Imma have them install it
I can always upgrade cpu and mobo later on
Imma try to pick up a gpu this week

Last edited:

Excess

but this is the watercooling kit I want, Imma have them install it
I can always upgrade cpu and mobo later on
Imma try to pick up a gpu this week
That Corsair kit looks pretty nice. I wish they had something like that years ago when I started water cooling.

But honestly, you don't need that kit, especially if you plan on having someone else install it for you. You can easily get the same performance benefits from an AIO for half the price.

Chiggs

Any thoughts on what this might be? I installed a new 5950x yesterday and I've been having troubles since.
  • Random crashes, no BSODs...just black screens.
  • Occasional visual artifacts.
  • Some chugginess on the desktop.
  • I moved around a couple of PSU cables and the problem seems to have cleared up, but I didn't have any issues with this before.
  • I've rolled back the bios, which has helped a bit.
Thinking about reseating hardware.

qtDbNhv.png

Edit: Reseated the GPU and CPU and all seems fine.

Last edited:

TTOOLL

Hi guys! Just a random question because I might have to upgrade my laptop to play D2R. The only thing near my budget has a 1660ti. Is it a relatively good gpu for a non-enthusiast gamer?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Hi guys! Just a random question because I might have to upgrade my laptop to play D2R. The only thing near my budget has a 1660ti. Is it a relatively good gpu for a non-enthusiast gamer?

good for just about everything running at 1080p with out Ray tracing. Stuff like red dead u will have to drop some setting to med or high.

Filth

I have a weird troubleshoot question if anyone has an idea. I have a water-cooled pc, the pump is plugged into the cpu fan slot. I had 9 fans on 3 radiators. All i did was switch out the old fans to the lian li uni fans. They are working rgb and all. Never touched the pump or the wire. When i restart my pc i get cpu fan error. Only option is to go into the bios. I exit and it loads windows normally. Any ideas?

Grechy34

Hey guys,

I am running a 2080ti with an 8700K. Will I be right with this rig in 1080P for the foreseeable future. I used to upgrade GPU's all the time but life just doesn't allow it anymore so I want to try and get the most out of the this rig whilst I can. I have a PS5/Xbox Series S as well for the exclusives/gamepass but I just prefer playing on PC.

Last edited:

Filth

Hey guys,

I am running a 2080ti with an 8700K. Will I be right with this rig in 1080P for the foreseeable future. I used to upgrade GPU's all the time but life just doesn't allow it anymore so I want to try and get the most out of the this rig whilst I can. I have a PS5/Xbox Series S as well for the exclusives/gamepass but I just prefer playing on PC.
you will be fine

GreatnessRD

Hey guys,

Yeah, you'll be more than fine. But I have a question... You have such a beastly card, why just 1080p?!?! That's like buying a hellcat and going 10mph, lol

Chiggs

Holy crap. I am really impressed by how much faster my 5950X is when compared to the 3900X I replaced. Yeah, yeah, more cores...but that improved IPC...wow. MS Flight Simulator, in particular, is showing a MASSIVE increase. I want to say 15-20fps more by just eyeballing it, but if any of you play that game, you'll know that FPS are hard to come by.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Holy crap. I am really impressed by how much faster my 5950X is when compared to the 3900X I replaced. Yeah, yeah, more cores...but that improved IPC...wow. MS Flight Simulator, in particular, is showing a MASSIVE increase. I want to say 15-20fps more by just eyeballing it, but if any of you play that game, you'll know that FPS are hard to come by.

ya the 3000-5000 leap in gaming is huge by cpu standard, made me bitter for jumping in too soon

PhoenixTank

I have a weird troubleshoot question if anyone has an idea. I have a water-cooled pc, the pump is plugged into the cpu fan slot. I had 9 fans on 3 radiators. All i did was switch out the old fans to the lian li uni fans. They are working rgb and all. Never touched the pump or the wire. When i restart my pc i get cpu fan error. Only option is to go into the bios. I exit and it loads windows normally. Any ideas?
Open loop by the sounds of it?
Unsure why it would start acting up now, but if you have one I'd be using the pump header for the pump with a fan/some fans plugged into the cpu_fan header.
Some BIOS also have the option to ignore the CPU fan warning. Verify everything is actually working correctly beforehand though.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
ya the 3000-5000 leap in gaming is huge by cpu standard, made me bitter for jumping in too soon

I have a 5800x with a 3080 and super impressed with that CPU but mainly because I was told I could pick up a 5950 and when I drove the 2 hours to grab it they didnt actually hold it for me and and settled for the 5800 for now.

GreatnessRD

I have a 5800x with a 3080 and super impressed with that CPU but mainly because I was told I could pick up a 5950 and when I drove the 2 hours to grab it they didnt actually hold it for me and and settled for the 5800 for now.
Now that's tough. Did they give you a coupon or something with you expressing your frustrations for driving 2hrs? Or you just took it on the chin and bought the 5800x? Regardless, that had to suck.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Now that's tough. Did they give you a coupon or something with you expressing your frustrations for driving 2hrs? Or you just took it on the chin and bought the 5800x? Regardless, that had to suck.

It was a smaller tech shop in Indianapolis I have dealt with many times over the years and they know me fairly well and was holding the CPU for me to make the drive and the young gal working sold it in the time between me calling and actually getting there.

The main manager felt horrible they sold me the 5800x at a great price point so didnt want to come away empty handed.

May still try to upgrade that system later but between this one and another system a 10850k 3090 I am set for awhile.

That 10850k actually came with a 3080 but when I scored the 3090 it went in there and have been sitting on the 3080 was hard to keep it seeing what I could have sold it for.

Chiggs

is CPUID HWmonitor accurate for cpu/gpu temps

I personally like AIDA64 more. Downside is that it's $39.95, but it also includes stress tests, a ton of benchmarks, and is generally one of the most helpful pieces of software you can install on your PC.

i use hwinfo64, much better and updated.
You can post issues and suggestions in their forums for the creator to take a look

Also a good choice...and free.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Cancelled my 3080 build for the foreseeable.

When I ordered in February was fine with April to May time now being told July to August minimum. Company has been sat on my three and a half grand since February. Apparently there are still over 1000 orders ahead of my order and the situation of manufacturing the cards hasn’t improved. The company I ordered from get about 20 to 30 cards a month and if there’s still 1000 orders before mine, you do the maths.

I’ll come back toward the end of the year and see if it’s improved to like a couple of weeks for a build as opposed to half a year.

Grechy34

Yeah, you'll be more than fine. But I have a question... You have such a beastly card, why just 1080p?!?! That's like buying a hellcat and going 10mph, lol

I kind of agree. I did have a 1440P monitor but the color production wasn't great. I sold it and grabbed an LG 240HZ monitor which I like a lot better. The high refresh rate has been a game changer. I was going to change the monitor again but I'm starting to be a little more shrewd with the finances and as I'm happy with what I have, I don't really feel the need to change it now.

GreatnessRD

I kind of agree. I did have a 1440P monitor but the color production wasn't great. I sold it and grabbed an LG 240HZ monitor which I like a lot better. The high refresh rate has been a game changer. I was going to change the monitor again but I'm starting to be a little more shrewd with the finances and as I'm happy with what I have, I don't really feel the need to change it now.
Fair enough! I'm sure that LG 240hz is amazing! Enjoy!
I sold a used 1050 ti for at least what I paid ... and turned around and bought an overpriced used 1650 low profile card.

Im doing a SSF (super small Form factor) build and I needed a low profile card.

FUCK this GPU situation.
This GPU situation is fucking nuts. Sometimes I wanna be a scumbag and sell my 3060Ti for absurd monies and buy the original GPU I wanted in the 6800/XT, but I'm just gonna keep trucking along with my 60 Ti. I've never seen such a shitty GPU situation as this in my life. I hope the nightmare is over like they claim in the second half of the year, but I highly doubt it. These AIB's aren't gonna wanna stop selling their 1k GPUs so quickly. I wanted to try my hand a SFF for my living, but hard pass with these goofy ass prices.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I sold a used 1050 ti for at least what I paid ... and turned around and bought an overpriced used 1650 low profile card.

Im doing a SSF (super small Form factor) build and I needed a low profile card.

FUCK this GPU situation.
It's terrible. GPUs were to expensive even before pandemic. Now it's crazy.
And it's 6 months of this already...

mansoor1980

Gold Member
The cooler is supposed to be better. I have a ventus 3060 Ti and before I touched a couple settings, it would never go above 65c under load. Now it touches 70-72c which still isn't bad comparatively speaking.
currently reaching 58c max in witcher3 at 1080p 60hz and im sure unlocking fps will make it go higher , but the fucker is the loudest thing i have witnessed in gaming tech. did you change the fan curve?

GreatnessRD

currently reaching 58c max in witcher3 at 1080p 60hz and im sure unlocking fps will make it go higher , but the fucker is the loudest thing i have witnessed in gaming tech. did you change the fan curve?
Nah, everything is stock. The only thing I changed was in Nvidia panel "Texture quality" to High performance and the temp went up. I do plan to overclock it eventually, but I'm good where its at for now.

My Boost clock has went down though since I've bought the card at launch in December. It was getting a clock of 1995MHz, but the last month or so it hasn't been boosting as high. Normally tops out at 1940MHz. That's the only thing that has me looking strange. Might be wear from 24/7 running, I don't know.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Nah, everything is stock. The only thing I changed was in Nvidia panel "Texture quality" to High performance and the temp went up. I do plan to overclock it eventually, but I'm good where its at for now.

My Boost clock has went down though since I've bought the card at launch in December. It was getting a clock of 1995MHz, but the last month or so it hasn't been boosting as high. Normally tops out at 1940MHz. That's the only thing that has me looking strange. Might be wear from 24/7 running, I don't know.
weird as fuck and u mean high quality right?, the ventus also has a plastic back plate which is fucking cheap on MSIs part

Top Bottom