• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

Buggy Loop

So i'm getting confused here with network setup (still in planning stage)

My motherboard has Intel 2.5G LAN. As far as i understand, the typical 10 Gigabyte router will not support it? It's either 1 or 10, nothing inbetween?
So is there... any support for these 2.5GLAN connections as of now on routers?

Yerd

My motherboard has Intel 2.5G LAN. As far as i understand, the typical 10 Gigabyte router will not support it? It's either 1 or 10, nothing inbetween?
Looks like a new standard, but it should support the same 10/100/1000 speeds too. I doubt you have a 10GbE router. That's like server/data center level stuff.

It's new to me. It appears meant for NAS devices, but I'm sure there will be the obligatory gaming router equipped with some 2.5g ports eventually.

Looks like there are some gaming routers with it out there.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Let’s say you have cable internet with Spectrum and use your own router/modem. To get internet, it goes:
Cable connection at wall -> cable modem -> Ethernet switch with 8 ports -> WiFi router.
If you want to connect a device on the other side of the house to hardline internet and not WiFi, is there anything you can do other than running a Ethernet cable from the modem or Ethernet switch all the way across the house to the device?
If it were non-cable internet, you could just have an Ethernet port built into the wall and connect directly to your device, but if you have cable internet then would you need a cable modem in every room where you want hardline internet?

PhoenixTank

What you want to google for is routers with "NBASE-T" support or specifically "2.5GBASE-T", with the former being a catch all for various negotiable speeds instead of the hard 1Gbit, 10Gbit divide.
You may need to go down the route of getting a separate switch and instead connecting anything fast enough directly to that, then connect that back to your router/modem. They're still not cheap :(

Last edited:

Yerd

Let’s say you have cable internet with Spectrum and use your own router/modem. To get internet, it goes:
Cable connection at wall -> cable modem -> Ethernet switch with 8 ports -> WiFi router.
If you want to connect a device on the other side of the house to hardline internet and not WiFi, is there anything you can do other than running a Ethernet cable from the modem or Ethernet switch all the way across the house to the device?
If it were non-cable internet, you could just have an Ethernet port built into the wall and connect directly to your device, but if you have cable internet then would you need a cable modem in every room where you want hardline internet?
Any internet can get to the ethernet port into the wall. Make a wall port, wire it to every room and then connect whatever you want to that. The wall port will be the same as a long wire from the switch or modem. It's just inside the wall with a female jack at either end.
If you plan to make a wall jack, make sure you have wall rated cable.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Any internet can get to the ethernet port into the wall. Make a wall port, wire it to every room and then connect whatever you want to that. The wall port will be the same as a long wire from the switch or modem. It's just inside the wall with a female jack at either end.
If you plan to make a wall jack, make sure you have wall rated cable.
Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

base

Banned
Will R5 3600x and RTX 3070 be good together for 1440p gaming?

Been out of the PC gaming circle for years, but wanna dive back in to play some classics and cover all bases for future games.
With 1440p GPU will take over. CPU will get bored.

So I've decided to build a PC with no GPU until the prices come down. Ordered everything yesterday, here's what I got. I don't care about 4k gaming or RT, I just want solid frame rates and 1080p is fine.

CPU: Intel i5-10600k
Mobo: MSI Z490-A Pro. Was my third choice of mobo but the rest were sold out. Wanted something with multiple video ports.
RAM: OLOy 16GB (2x8). Will add another 16GB when I buy a GPU.
SSD: WD 500GB NVMe. Will add more when I buy a GPU.
Case: Corsair Carbide 275R. The last four or five computers I have built, I typically ignore case quality and just pick something cheap. This one is by no means expensive but it looks good and should be good for cable management.
PSU: EVGA 80+ Bronze 600W. PCPartPicker has my build at 229W without a GPU, I assume a 600W PSU leaves me enough head room, if not I will buy a better one.

Also two ASUS VG248QG monitors. I don't know much about monitors, but I wanted 1080p, 24", and 144Hz, these check those boxes and seemed to have great reviews wherever I checked.

All in all was about $1,100, probably by far the most I have ever spent building a PC, but $400 of that was monitors. I guess eventually that $400 will be mostly replaced by a GPU.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Birthday is coming in few days and waifeu asking what I want...
Well I have brown switches, no led, full size masterkeys L keyboard which I was never a huge fan of. It's ok but I always made typos on it for some reason and I rarely use numpad.
Been thinking about trying out TKL and linear. I had linear years ago on some cherry board (black linear I think) and liked more than browns.
Also, detachable usb C cable would be nice... so I could charge my stuff easier during night since why not.

And since I have razer viper ultimate and love it... maybe Razer Huntsman Tournament edition keyboard or is it too hardcore?

Last edited:

mansoor1980

Gold Member
Birthday is coming in few days and waifeu asking what I want...
Well I have brown switches, no led, full size masterkeys L keyboard.
Been thinking about trying out TKL and linear. I had linear years ago on some cherry board and liked more than brown I think.
Also, deatchable usb C cable would be nice.

And since I have razer viper ultimate and love it... maybe Razer Huntsman Tournament edition keyboard?
isnt the durability of razer products suspect?

Kenpachii

So I've decided to build a PC with no GPU until the prices come down. Ordered everything yesterday, here's what I got. I don't care about 4k gaming or RT, I just want solid frame rates and 1080p is fine.

CPU: Intel i5-10600k
Mobo: MSI Z490-A Pro. Was my third choice of mobo but the rest were sold out. Wanted something with multiple video ports.
RAM: OLOy 16GB (2x8). Will add another 16GB when I buy a GPU.
SSD: WD 500GB NVMe. Will add more when I buy a GPU.
Case: Corsair Carbide 275R. The last four or five computers I have built, I typically ignore case quality and just pick something cheap. This one is by no means expensive but it looks good and should be good for cable management.
PSU: EVGA 80+ Bronze 600W. PCPartPicker has my build at 229W without a GPU, I assume a 600W PSU leaves me enough head room, if not I will buy a better one.

Also two ASUS VG248QG monitors. I don't know much about monitors, but I wanted 1080p, 24", and 144Hz, these check those boxes and seemed to have great reviews wherever I checked.

All in all was about $1,100, probably by far the most I have ever spent building a PC, but $400 of that was monitors. I guess eventually that $400 will be mostly replaced by a GPU.

Why 2x 144hz monitors?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Anyone using 60% keyboard? I use full size my whole life but looking at Razer huntsman tournament TKL linear.
Then I noticed they have huntsman mini linear which is quieter and has reformed switches but it's 60%.
I wonder if 60% is really usable in real life. Nice that it's small but isn't it a nightmare? But I rarely use numpad, f keys and arrows anyway

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
Anyone using 60% keyboard? I use full size my whole life but looking at Razer huntsman tournament TKL linear.
Then I noticed they have huntsman mini linear which is quieter and has reformed switches but it's 60%.
I wonder if 60% is really usable in real life. Nice that it's small but isn't it a nightmare? But I rarely use numpad, f keys and arrows anyway
I'm not sure if mine is 60% or not. I use a Corsair for gaming though that has the whole number pad section gone. I love it. I don't have a ton of room for a big desk and this allows me to have a nice area for my mouse.

I just checked online and It is the K63

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I'm not sure if mine is 60% or not. I use a Corsair for gaming though that has the whole number pad section gone. I love it. I don't have a ton of room for a big desk and this allows me to have a nice area for my mouse.

I just checked online and It is the K63
Ah so it's Tenkeyless, so no numpad part. That is no brainer. I don't need numpad for sure

Anki

Banned

i have used both and i prefer the full size keyboard. Reason is the numkeys are very convenient when i type numbers. Other than that they are both fine keyboards.
But as you said you are not using them that much so smaller keyboard would be fine for you.

Last edited:

Yerd

Not a 60% but, I switched from the microsoft ergo keyboard that I have been using for the last 10 years or so and I can not get used to normal keyboards again. I am constantly fumbling through keys. Though I don't have proper typing skills I can 4 or 6 finger it at an acceptable pace.

I switched because I wanted to try a mechanical keyboard. I will probably be buying another ergo keyboard soon.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dang... Ordered Razer huntsman MINI in white color with these new red linear optical switches... I never even had tkl. Skipping to 60% and white might be a mistake :p
We will see. There was a nice night sale and it was 25euro cheaper than normal

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So that razer huntsman mini is here... I think I am all over it. Feels solid, quality, looks amazing, sounds like a dream and the switches are so smooth ... omg.
There was a problem with it kinda breaking... windows taskbar?! but firmware update fixed it. Its supposedly x570 problem... I swear AMD is fucking piece of garbage. I've had so many problems since I've got 3700x and x570, My friend got 5800x and can't even reliably get hp g2 vr to work. Well, new agesa should fix some of that.

Here are some of my pics!!! :

7VJDwcS.jpg

xXxo5na.jpg

t1LFAYe.jpg

Chiggs

My upgraded setup (bolded = new part/component). The Corsair 680X and its LL Series fans were $500 combined; the 980 Pro SSD was about $400, the CableMod kits were 69.99 each, and the Alienware AW3821DW was $1500.00.
  • Corsair 680X case
    • Five LL140mm fans.
    • Three LL120mm fans.
    • Commander Pro
  • Ryzen 3900X @ stock
    • I'll upgrade from the Wraith Prism when I put a 5950X in here, so piss off. :messenger_sunglasses:
  • 64GB G.SKILL Trident DDR4 @ 3600mhz
  • Gigabyte Aorus x570 Master motheboard
  • Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3090 Master video card
  • Intel 2TB NVME (Gen 3)
    • Exclusively for OS and other apps
  • Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME (Gen 4)
    • Exclusively for Steam
  • Two 6TB Toshiba HDDs
  • One Corsair Force 500 SATA SSD
  • One Patriot 1TB SATA SSD
  • Soundblaster AE-9 soundcard
    • Completely blocked by the monstrous RTX 3090
  • Alienware Curved 38" Monitor (AW3821DW)
    • Just gorgeous in every way, IMO.
  • Corsair K95 keyboard
  • Logitech G502 mouse
  • 1000 watt EVGA P2 power supply
    • Two CableMod Classic ModFlex E-Series Cable Kits

Some pics:

qbJfQOd.jpg

GtNaGxq.jpg

feILC1v.jpg

TRwUU8i.jpg

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
My upgraded setup (bolded = new part/component). The Corsair 680X and its LL Series fans were $500 combined; the 980 Pro SSD was about $400, the CableMod kits were 69.99 each, and the Alienware AW3821DW was $1500.00.
  • Corsair 680X case
    • Five LL140mm fans.
    • Three LL120mm fans.
    • Commander Pro
  • Ryzen 3900X @ stock
    • I'll upgrade from the Wraith Prism when I put a 5950X in here, so piss off. :messenger_sunglasses:
  • Intel 2TB NVME (Gen 3)
    • Exclusively for Steam
  • Two 6TB Toshiba HDDs
  • Corsair K95 keyboard
  • Logitech G502 mouse

Some pics:

qbJfQOd.jpg

GtNaGxq.jpg

feILC1v.jpg

TRwUU8i.jpg
That's hot

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
  • Corsair 680X case
    • Five LL140mm fans.
    • Three LL120mm fans.
    • Commander Pro
  • Ryzen 3900X @ stock
  • Intel 2TB NVME (Gen 3)
    • Exclusively for Steam
  • Two 6TB Toshiba HDDs
  • Corsair K95 keyboard
  • Logitech G502 mouse

Some pics:

qbJfQOd.jpg

GtNaGxq.jpg

feILC1v.jpg

TRwUU8i.jpg
Slick. Btw that Corsair pad stinks so bad I had to return it :p

Celcius

°Temp. member
I’ve have a Netgear C3700 that I’ve been using since like 2014 and I have spectrum 200mb internet. My cable modem has a built in WiFi router and it’s been fine for me as I live in a single bedroom apartment by myself. However, lately my WiFi will seem to stop working for a little while (minute or two) and then it seems like I can get it to come back if I disconnect things from it and then reconnect them all (or even reboot the modem sometimes instead of disconnecting and reconnecting one by one). As far as WiFi devices I have 2 cell phones and a laptop. All of my other devices are connected via Ethernet and a tp-link Ethernet switch.

I’m wondering if perhaps this is just due to everyone in my apartment complex working from home like me and maybe there’s a lot of interference going on? Or perhaps my old cable modem is dying? (though I never have any issues with internet if I connect via Ethernet so I doubt it?) I’m in the same room as the router with nothing between us.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that I can try for making my WiFi more reliable?

Yerd

I’ve have a Netgear C3700 that I’ve been using since like 2014 and I have spectrum 200mb internet. My cable modem has a built in WiFi router and it’s been fine for me as I live in a single bedroom apartment by myself. However, lately my WiFi will seem to stop working for a little while (minute or two) and then it seems like I can get it to come back if I disconnect things from it and then reconnect them all (or even reboot the modem sometimes instead of disconnecting and reconnecting one by one). As far as WiFi devices I have 2 cell phones and a laptop. All of my other devices are connected via Ethernet and a tp-link Ethernet switch.

I’m wondering if perhaps this is just due to everyone in my apartment complex working from home like me and maybe there’s a lot of interference going on? Or perhaps my old cable modem is dying? (though I never have any issues with internet if I connect via Ethernet so I doubt it?) I’m in the same room as the router with nothing between us.

Just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas that I can try for making my WiFi more reliable?

You can get an app for your phone to search wifi signals and try a cleaner channel.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Do I want to replace lg 27uk650 with 32" model?
I am all about 4k60 since I most like single player and souls games so maxing graphics at 60 is my priority. With 3080 it's no problem.

Ive got this 27" 4k lg for 2 years and it's good. The new one would maybe be lg 32un650. Similar specs, just big and 95% dci p3 colors.

I kind think that 4k would look better at 32". Any ideas? It's ips panel. There are also va panels and cheaper but not sure if I want shitty va even with it's Better black levels

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Do I want to replace lg 27uk650 with 32" model?
I am all about 4k60 since I most like single player and souls games so maxing graphics at 60 is my priority. With 3080 it's no problem.

Ive got this 27" 4k lg for 2 years and it's good. The new one would maybe be lg 32un650. Similar specs, just big and 95% dci p3 colors.

I kind think that 4k would look better at 32". Any ideas? It's ips panel. There are also va panels and cheaper but not sure if I want shitty va even with it's Better black levels

I replaced my 27UK600 with the LG27GN950 4k 144hz IPS panel and couldnt be happier.

The newer 27GP950 is coming but its the same panel with HDMI 2.1 but the current 27GN950 rocks great with e 3080 playing games 4k 120+ fps

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I replaced my 27UK600 with the LG27GN950 4k 144hz IPS panel and couldnt be happier.

The newer 27GP950 is coming but its the same panel with HDMI 2.1 but the current 27GN950 rocks great with e 3080 playing games 4k 120+ fps
Good to hear Think I will more benefit from 32" as barely any games I play are 60+

Chiggs

It was more of a "could I", rather "should I" project. Trust me, your wallet is thanking you right now. Mine is pressing charges for rape.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

It does look really nice, though. Even though when looking at it, I reminded myself why I don't do custom water-cooling...I don't have the goddamn patience for it.

Kudos for sticking with it.

Last edited:

Excess

Wow. How difficult was it to set-up? I've heard custom waterloops are a pain to setup. Not sure if things have changed or not in more recent times.

Edit: Love the black and gold setup. What brand is that cooling solution?
They definitely can be, depending on the level of detail. But honestly you can get away with just installing AIO coolers these days, so custom loops are more of an enthusiast project; do it because you enjoy the hobby.

Sorry, should've labeled some brands:
Fittings and Reservoir: Bitspower
Water Blocks: EKWB
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
GPU: RTX 3080
Cables: Teleios Sleeving by Mainframe Customs

Merkades

I got tired of waiting for components, so I ended up paying scalpers about 450 bucks to get my Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero MB and Ryzen 5950x. I have so far resisted buying a new GPU and PS5...

Interestingly enough, since I ended up waiting so long for parts and ended up buying things piecemeal I was more amenable to the idea if buying higher than my original plan e.g. I was going to buy some ram for ~180ish but actually ended up going with some G-Skill Triton Z Royal ram, specifically F4-3600C14D-32GTRS which was like 320ish. I waited 4ish months before I said screw it. I also went with a Rocket 4+ 2TB nvme pcie 4 ssd for like 400.

Anyways, outside of my GPU, I will probably use this system for 10ish years like my previous one, so the cost was more acceptable with that view. That and I really like my new system, hopefully GPUs are available before the big games hit, since I only have a 1060 6GB.

They definitely can be, depending on the level of detail. But honestly you can get away with just installing AIO coolers these days, so custom loops are more of an enthusiast project; do it because you enjoy the hobby.

Sorry, should've labeled some brands:
Fittings and Reservoir: Bitspower
Water Blocks: EKWB
CPU: Ryzen 5600X
GPU: RTX 3080
Cables: Teleios Sleeving by Mainframe Customs
Thanks.

"Fittings and Reservoir: Bitspower
Water Blocks: EKWB"

Are the metal pipes from one of these two?

I wouldn't mind a bit of a challenge, but is there any truth to the gnarly maintenance rumors?(Like dismount and clean the entire setup each year.). Or are those just rumors from obsessive

compulsive people?
Anyone got any good sources for when GPU's go back in stock, similar to the twitter accounts for PS5/XS?
Well we are in a crypto bull year, most crypto coins going up, so that probably has ramped up demand for gpu mining. Rumor is the bull run might only last a year, if so and cryptos go down next year, demand might ease up. Also there's the possibility manufactures ramp up production.

Last edited:

evanft

Is there a list somewhere of mobos that support resizable BAR with a 9900k when paired with an RTX 3080? I'm thinking of swapping out my old motherboard for one that has support when the GPU update rolls out.

Yerd

Anyone got any good sources for when GPU's go back in stock, similar to the twitter accounts for PS5/XS?
Stock drops discord. I got a 3090 at bestbuy with this. Still trying to get a ps5, but I couldn't order several times because I had no one at home to receive or pickup a package. But, now that is not an issue, hopefully I can get it now.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Is there a list somewhere of mobos that support resizable BAR with a 9900k when paired with an RTX 3080? I'm thinking of swapping out my old motherboard for one that has support when the GPU update rolls out.

Nvidia's website suggests checking with individual motherboard manufacturer's websites to see which of their motherboards have support.
Specifically, these companies:
ASUSASRockCOLORFULEVGAGIGABYTEMSI

Excess

Thanks.

"Fittings and Reservoir: Bitspower
Water Blocks: EKWB"

Are the metal pipes from one of these two?

I wouldn't mind a bit of a challenge, but is there any truth to the gnarly maintenance rumors?(Like dismount and clean the entire setup each year.). Or are those just rumors from obsessive

compulsive people?

Actually, yes, the tubing is a brass tubing from Bitspower. I generally get most of my parts from Performance PC's. They literally have EVERYTHING.

Maintenance is what you make of it, honestly, because it depends on the fluid you choose. Generally, the colored fluids will require you to drain the loop and inspect any build up over time. That means taking it apart and cleaning everything, which can take the whole day. The irony of a build like mine is that it will be very little maintenance, meaning draining the loop and refilling with fresh distilled water every year will take no more than an hour or so.

If you enjoy the challenge, then I'd highly recommend it. There's a ton of resources on YouTube to build your own, but if you ever have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Stock drops discord. I got a 3090 at bestbuy with this. Still trying to get a ps5, but I couldn't order several times because I had no one at home to receive or pickup a package. But, now that is not an issue, hopefully I can get it now.

+1 on this. I was able to get my 3080 through them at Best Buy, as well. The general chat is also good because people share information about potential drops.

The irony of a build like mine is that it will be very little maintenance, meaning draining the loop and refilling with fresh distilled water every year will take no more than an hour or so.

If you enjoy the challenge, then I'd highly recommend it. There's a ton of resources on YouTube to build your own, but if you ever have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Thanks. So you don't have to disassemble it, just drain and refill. I would have guessed you'd only have to top it if some has evaporated, any reason for why it's recommended to drain it too?

twilo99

It was more of a "could I", rather "should I" project. Trust me, your wallet is thanking you right now. Mine is pressing charges for rape.

Right, but it must be a pleasure to use.

What's inside? Or did a miss a link to parts list

Excess

Thanks. So you don't have to disassemble it, just drain and refill. I would have guessed you'd only have to top it if some has evaporated, any reason for why it's recommended to drain it too?

Only if you think there's build-up, such as fluid gunk or algae growth. Gunk won't be an issue with plain distilled water, and algae is prevented by adding a few drops of biocide.

Right, but it must be a pleasure to use.

What's inside? Or did a miss a link to parts list

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5600X
GPU: RTX 3080 FE
RAM: 32GB GSkill Trident Z Royal Gold
Motherboard: MSI B550 Carbon
PSU: EVGA 750W GT Gold-rated
Water Blocks and Radiators: EKWB
Fittings, Reservoir and Tubing: Bitspower (16mm Fitting/Tubes)
Reservoir Mount: Singularity Computers Ethereal Gold
Flow Meter: Barrowch
Fans: x9 Corsair LL w/ Commander Pro

Top Bottom