• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2021. Sold Out Edition.

Gentleman as an owner of a 3090 and a 9900k overclocked. Whats my next cpu upgrade. Should i wait or come over to the amd side? I game and stream all from one pc.
if you have a 9900K i wouldn't be thinking about upgrading until we have DDR5 and/or PCIE5.0. sure there are CPUs that will beat the 9900K but it's not a bad CPU. unless you have the money to spend without worrying about it OR you want a faster CPU now and don't plan to upgrade your system again for years then it makes sense to hold off until Alder Lake or Zen 4. Alder Lake will be DDR5 + PCIE 5.0. Not sure about Zen 4 but i assume it will be the same.

with DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 it will mean a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD. so basically a whole new system. i just think if you have such a good CPU right now that it's not worth upgrading to anything that is out at the moment. hold off another 6-12 months and you can build a system that will last you the next 5-10 years. anything that you can buy today will be outdated severely in a couple years.

but hey that's just my thoughts. i have a 9900K and i ain't spending another penny on this system until we move to DDR5/PCIE5.0.

Last edited:

GreatnessRD

After hesitating in February on literally clicking the button to buy the 6800 XT off AMD direct...

tenor.gif

I was able to cop during the AMD drop today. I'm too hype.

Phase

Its been e journey but finally got one.. I really wanted a 6800xt tho

0F2zy6S.jpg
Nice. I'm in the 3080ti queue but probably won't buy it. I built a new pc months ago (minus the gpu, just transferred my 1070 from a previous) and I'm looking at the games coming out in the next year or two that I would need a new gpu for and I'm not seeing it. I think for 1080p my 10900k with all other high end parts will do just fine for a couple of years.

I'd be paying $1400+tax... and I'm interested in what the 4000 series will turn out to be.

Tygeezy

if you have a 9900K i wouldn't be thinking about upgrading until we have DDR5 and/or PCIE5.0. sure there are CPUs that will beat the 9900K but it's not a bad CPU. unless you have the money to spend without worrying about it OR you want a faster CPU now and don't plan to upgrade your system again for years then it makes sense to hold off until Alder Lake or Zen 4. Alder Lake will be DDR5 + PCIE 5.0. Not sure about Zen 4 but i assume it will be the same.

with DDR5 + PCIE 5.0 it will mean a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, and SSD. so basically a whole new system. i just think if you have such a good CPU right now that it's not worth upgrading to anything that is out at the moment. hold off another 6-12 months and you can build a system that will last you the next 5-10 years. anything that you can buy today will be outdated severely in a couple years.

but hey that's just my thoughts. i have a 9900K and i ain't spending another penny on this system until we move to DDR5/PCIE5.0.
Agreed, i'm still rocking a 7700 k and it's giving me no problems playing anything at higher framerates. I wont be replacing this thing until minimum of ddr5 and pcie5.0 and even then I want to be sure there are games I want to play that will justify this upgrade. I'm hoping with direct storage asset streaming stutter from large open world games and battle royal games are a thing of the past. Playing spider-man and the new ratchet and clank on ps5 and comparing it arkham city and arkham asylum, pub-g, fortnite ect. It's just a huge difference being able to basically instantly load into games and not stutter when new assets are called to load in.

Phase

BTW the elite program with EVGA does work if you are looking to get a GPU.
Yep I'm an elite member. My notify is just after 9am PT though.

Edit: Oh, just realized this could be a statement for everyone as well ha.

Last edited:

Excess

Call me crazy, but when I get a new video card in the future, I think I may just put my 3080FE on display like a collector's item.

GreatnessRD

Call me crazy, but when I get a new video card in the future, I think I may just put my 3080FE on display like a collector's item.
Might be necessary to really look back on the shitshow that was, as stated above, The Great GPU depression of '20-'21, lol

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Man, I went from elated about being selected for the Newegg shuffle, to sadness when I realized they don't give you a shot at all of the items, it's just 1 single item you'll be chosen for and I was "gifted" with the ability to buy a $3k 3090 bundle. Fuck my life I don't have that kind of money.

Last edited:

Yerd

Man, I went from elated about being selected for the Newegg shuffle, to sadness when I realized they don't give you a shot at all of the items, it's just 1 single item you'll be chosen for and I was "gifted" with the ability to buy a $3k 3090 bundle. Fuck my life I don't have that kind of money.
What was in that bundle?

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
What was in that bundle?
Asus ROG Strix 3090 + Asus ROG Swift 360Hz monitor($799?). I'm asking Newegg if I could return the monitor and chatting up my pops to see if he'll help me out. He laughed over the phone, but I'm not giving up yet!

A Newegg Agent told me in chat that this Combo can only be returned with both items, not separately. I guess I fucked up and should have just selected the 3080. Hahaha.

Last edited:

Yerd

Asus ROG Strix 3090 + Asus ROG Swift 360Hz monitor($799?). I'm asking Newegg if I could return the monitor and chatting up my pops to see if he'll help me out. He laughed over the phone, but I'm not giving up yet!

A Newegg Agent told me in chat that this Combo can only be returned with both items, not separately. I guess I fucked up and should have just selected the 3080. Hahaha.
Such an overpriced monstrosity. The monitor. I'm pretty sure that's a 1080p monitor. Why would anyone pay that much money for a 1080p. It's a joke to me. What a way for Newegg to get rid of horseshit products they can't sell. If you buy that bundle, then you are stuck trying to sell that crap to some dolt willing to buy a monitor at that price or taking a giant hit on it.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Such an overpriced monstrosity. The monitor. I'm pretty sure that's a 1080p monitor. Why would anyone pay that much money for a 1080p. It's a joke to me. What a way for Newegg to get rid of horseshit products they can't sell. If you buy that bundle, then you are stuck trying to sell that crap to some dolt willing to buy a monitor at that price or taking a giant hit on it.
That's what I was thinking. No way I could reasonably sell that thing. Oh well, I messed up by choosing all the products instead of just 1 or 2. Lesson learned. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Celcius

°Temp. member

I want all of these things (especially the case)
I'd love to have info on price or release date.

Last edited:

fatty

I am in the VERY early stages of a new PC build and saw this case was on sale at Amazon today for 34.99:

Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 Micro-ATX Tower with Front Mesh Ventilation, Minimal Design, Tempered Glass Side Panel and Single Headset Jack​

It says that it is Micro ATX for motherboard compatibility, but not sure how that really affects me. Will that limit my options quite a bit?

I like that it still has an optical drive and I don’t plan to play brand new PC games, maybe games released within the last 5 years at pretty good settings.

Any thoughts on the case or how I should approach the build is appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
I am in the VERY early stages of a new PC build and saw this case was on sale at Amazon today for 34.99:

It says that it is Micro ATX for motherboard compatibility, but not sure how that really affects me. Will that limit my options quite a bit?

I like that it still has an optical drive and I don’t plan to play brand new PC games, maybe games released within the last 5 years at pretty good settings.

Any thoughts on the case or how I should approach the build is appreciated, thanks.
It's actually saying you have MORE options. You can go down as low as a micro-ATX board UP to a full-size board. You'll be fine with that for pretty much any build as far as mobo's are concerned.

fatty

It's actually saying you have MORE options. You can go down as low as a micro-ATX board UP to a full-size board. You'll be fine with that for pretty much any build as far as mobo's are concerned.
Maybe I am reading the diagram on their picture wrong, but to me it seems like micro-ATX is the large option and mini-ATX is the small one, and no option for a full size board?

Maybe I am reading the diagram on their picture wrong, but to me it seems like micro-ATX is the large option and mini-ATX is the small one, and no option for a full size board?
Oh, yup. It would appear that way, def. didn't read the tiny print on the pic. Is form factor a consideration you have? What kind of build are you trying to put together? Micro-atx might be exactly enough for what you want. All kind of depends on what you are looking for I guess.

I personally have been using a Corsair Carbide Air 540 since 2014 or so and have just been swapping in new mobos/fans whenever I upgrade. I like having a full-size option just so I'm not limited in the future.

Last edited:

vpance

Cooler Master MasterBox NR400 Micro-ATX Tower with Front Mesh Ventilation, Minimal Design, Tempered Glass Side Panel and Single Headset Jack​

I have this case, it's really easy to build in. Good ventilation and supports 3 slot GPUs too. But don't buy mATX for the $ savings, it's minimal. Just do it if you like the form factor.

fatty

Oh, yup. It would appear that way, def. didn't read the tiny print on the pic. Is form factor a consideration you have? What kind of build are you trying to put together? Micro-atx might be exactly enough for what you want. All kind of depends on what you are looking for I guess.

I personally have been using a Corsair Carbide Air 540 since 2014 or so and have just been swapping in new mobos/fans whenever I upgrade. I like having a full-size option just so I'm not limited in the future.

I have this case, it's really easy to build in. Good ventilation and supports 3 slot GPUs too. But don't buy mATX for the $ savings, it's minimal. Just do it if you like the form factor.

Thanks, guys. Looking at the dimensions, I think I do like the form factor. I just don’t want to pay extra to get some of the standard features from a full size case. Basically, I would be happy with an optical drive, 16GB of RAM, a decent graphics card, and space for 4 SSDs (storing videos, music, pictures, etc.). It appears that besides the motherboard, everything else is pretty standard (same RAM, GPU, etc)?

As far as gaming, it wouldn’t have to be cutting edge. More along the lines I would see myself playing my Steam backlog (Dragon Age, Borderlands, Starcraft 2, X-com, etc.).

I think I will pull the trigger. Thanks again.

Phase

Went ahead and bought these today. 2.1 pc speakers.

There's some quirky shit like not having a power button, but that's hard to pass up on that price for those.
Those are amazing speakers for the price. I had those for almost 10 years before the sub stopped working, and I bought them for my brother too. They're well regarded which is why they brought them back.

Last edited:

benno

quick question:

Got a 3090 trinity. Getting high temps so applied new paste and pads. Temps lowered by 10'c for a few days then raised back up again.

I've changed the paste a few times now and always the same result, even with different paste.

Any ideas?

vpance

quick question:

Got a 3090 trinity. Getting high temps so applied new paste and pads. Temps lowered by 10'c for a few days then raised back up again.

I've changed the paste a few times now and always the same result, even with different paste.

Any ideas?

What are the temps? Is it a new card? Shouldn't need to replace the paste that soon if so.

With the last 2 cards I've owned doing an undervolt has always been worthwhile. Dropped temps and still stable enough for an OC.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Got an email today from EVGA saying they're switching people waiting for regular 3070 over to LHR waitlist. If you want to stay on the non-LHR list, there's no guarantee of stock in the future. I don't really care about hashrate. Not to demonize crypto, but as a gamer I just wish it would crash so we can get cards at msrp, and all the mining cards will get dumped at half-price.

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I can't wait to be able to build a PC... in 2022 maybe when stock is available?

Fox Tv Crying GIF by ScreamQueens
In the same boat. Have given up for this year now unless something amazing happens with stock or that Bitcoin falls off a cliff somewhere.

benno

What are the temps? Is it a new card? Shouldn't need to replace the paste that soon if so.

With the last 2 cards I've owned doing an undervolt has always been worthwhile. Dropped temps and still stable enough for an OC.
Tried undervolting last night. Didn't lower the temps at all. Fans 100%.

The card hit 85'c and crashed during gaming in VR last night. Took case lid off and temps didn't lower. Just changed the paste again and back down to 76'c. See how long it lasts.

twilo99

Wasn't impressed with the 3070ti so I sold it for $950 to a dad who bought it for his 12 year old son building his first PC. I feel very good about it.

Now, back to trying to get a 6800xt.

Got myself a 5600x CPU to replace my 3600 and its really good, highly recommend. Its running on a MSI B450 board with the latest bios, rock solid. It does run a bit hotter than the 3600, but very stable, so GG to MSI and AMD on this one.

Last edited:
Those are amazing speakers for the price. I had those for almost 10 years before the sub stopped working, and I bought them for my brother too. They're well regarded which is why they brought them back.

Not as amazing after further review. Their quality has gone down on certain revisions. Their latest model has them at something like 18 watts power drained while even idle. The model you bought 10 years ago isn't the model now, sadly. The newest model only has their sub at like 80w peak at 5% thd.

I canceled and got the logitech 623. The 50 extra greenbacks will be worth it.

Grechy34

Just a quick one peeps for the PC experts out there.

I am running an Asus Strix 2080Ti, 8700K and 16GB DDR3200 single channel ram.

Playing BFV my GPU usage floats between 50-60% at 1080P with my frame rate going from anywhere between 75 to 180FPS online. Single player is much higher though and much more consistent. 120-180FPS consistently. If I jack up the resolution scaling to 150% the GPU usage obviously goes higher but I just wanted to ask if it were normal that the GPU would not maximise it’s load and push out higher FPS at the regular 100 scaling? I have a 240HZ monitor so would benefit greatly. If I run furmark or heaven at 1080P the GPU usage maintains above 95. Do I have a bottleneck with he 8700K? Not really keen to go buy a new motherboard, CPU combo. I guess I’m just being pedantic and wanting to make sure everything is running normal.

GreatnessRD

Playing BFV my GPU usage floats between 50-60% at 1080P with my frame rate going from anywhere between 75 to 180FPS online. Single player is much higher though and much more consistent. 120-180FPS consistently. If I jack up the resolution scaling to 150% the GPU usage obviously goes higher but I just wanted to ask if it were normal that the GPU would not maximise it’s load and push out higher FPS at the regular 100 scaling? I have a 240HZ monitor so would benefit greatly. If I run furmark or heaven at 1080P the GPU usage maintains above 95. Do I have a bottleneck with he 8700K? Not really keen to go buy a new motherboard, CPU combo. I guess I’m just being pedantic and wanting to make sure everything is running normal.
I'd say its the RAM. Throw another stick of 3200 MHz in there I'd say. But I am not an expert, just tossing out an idea.

Excess

BFV at 1080p is easy lunch for your 2080Ti, which will end up making your CPU the new bottleneck. Your FPS fluctuations and performance are now at the mercy of your 8700K, not your GPU.

Furmark is designed to run your GPU at 100%, regardless of the resolution. It's a synthetic usage of the GPU and should not be used as a baseline for 1080p gameplay.

Top Bottom