• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cametall

Ok I think I need a new card. I can get a Gigabyte 660 for £250, dont really want to spend more. I was happy with my 6950 1gb so I don't really need something amazing, anything of good value at around £200?

Compare the prices to the AMD HD 7950 (namely Sapphire, Gigabyte, MSI, or HIS IceQ brands) if you're willing to overclock.

If not the 660ti (at 1080p resolution max) is probably fine for you though the 670 Gigabyte was on sale for a little more than the 660ti... that may have ended though.

new_build7fcao.jpg

Let's building.

beje

Banned
Is an Asrock Z77 Pro4 + i3 3220 (socket LGA 1155) a good combination if I want to upgrade to an i5 or even an i7 later down the line, probably in 3 years? Or I'm going to be screwed by Intel's "lol, moar incompatible sockets" madness that happened lately? I don't want to be stuck in the same situation as now, when I find that upgrading the CPU in my socket LGA 775 is pretty much impossible.

Also... is there a way of keeping my current Win 7 OEM license after doing the upgrade? I mean, some people claim that a simple call to MS customer service telling them you had to replace the mobo because it went ka-put and crying a little is usually enough for them to activate it but I want to be sure just in case. Another option would be seeing how much is the Win 7 to Win 8 Pro upgrade license for early adopters (they were talking about 40 bucks) that would let me upgrade to a "box" license in theory so I wouldn't have this problem, then use the license rights to downgrade to Win 7 Pro.

Fantomex

Shipping Question fellas. I have a buddy handing down some parts to me from about 200 miles away. Antec case, power supply, ram and keyboard, mouse. What carrier should I use and is it cheaper to ship separately? I figure ill do calculations online but thought I'd ask.

Is an Asrock Z77 Pro4 + i3 3220 (socket LGA 1155) a good combination if I want to upgrade to an i5 or even an i7 later down the line, probably in 3 years? Or I'm going to be screwed by Intel's "lol, moar incompatible sockets" madness that happened lately? I don't want to be stuck in the same situation as now, when I find that upgrading the CPU in my socket LGA 775 is pretty much impossible.

I run an i5 on this motherboard for one of my machines and I like it a lot.

As for multi-year future-proofing, that's not what motherboards are good at. Few computer parts are good at that. I have been building my own since the mid to late 1990s (original Pentiums into the legendary first Celerons) and you have to expect that unless you plan on upgrading to a newly released CPU within a 18 months at the max you will need to go with a new motherboard to do so. It's just the way things are done. Even if the socket isn't different, other factors w/ the new CPU might force it, much less actual CPU support from the motherboard providers (an early 775 motherboard, for example, didn't support C2Ds, and then the first C2Ds didn't run the C2Qs).

Here is what I am looking to do. I have a time frame of tomorrow through end of the year, so no big rush, just starting research now.

I'd like to setup a "console" system. The idea being it would basically replace my consoles and be the only think hooked up in my game room. Looking to use the Steam Big Screen interface.

The other thing I would like to be able to do with the system would be video capture from consoles if I do decide to hook something up.

So my basic plan is something like this:

A small mid tower.
A i5 of some kind
A SSD for c:\ & games - thinking @ 256GB? I intend to only keep a game or two installed at a time.

A HD for other programs
A pair of HDs striped for recording video
Some sort of capture card - thinking Black Magic Intensity Pro
GPU - ??? I guess my price ceiling would be $300-$350?

Anything else I am missing? Things i should know, look for, didn't think of?

t-ramp

Here is what I am looking to do. I have a time frame of tomorrow through end of the year, so no big rush, just starting research now.

I'd like to setup a "console" system. The idea being it would basically replace my consoles and be the only think hooked up in my game room. Looking to use the Steam Big Screen interface.

The other thing I would like to be able to do with the system would be video capture from consoles if I do decide to hook something up.

A small mid tower.
A i5 of some kind
A SSD for c:\ & games - thinking @ 256GB? I intend to only keep a game or two installed at a time.

A HD for other programs

256GB is plenty for the OS and several games. I don't even think you'd need another hard drive dedicated for programs...

mkenyon

Banned

A small mid tower.
A i5 of some kind

A HD for other programs

For a single system fitting your requirements, I think you've totally nailed it.

120-128GB SSD will suit your needs, plenty of room for OS + tons of programs + a few games. You can go bigger if you want some more room though.

I'd suggest a Micro ATX case, and since it's in your living room, I'd opt for a quiet mATX case.

The Fractal Define Mini will fit what you are looking to do. With the RAID0 array, BMIP, and heavy GPU use, you will want to upgrade the fans that come with it.

There's enough room to have all of the HDD cages installed for a 10.2" videocard, which fits reference GTX 670s, 660Tis, and 7870s/7850s. Some 680s will fit as well. However, you will only be using three HDD trays, so you can remove the upper one for more airflow and any videocard.

For replacement fans, it's hard to point at anything outside of the Corsair AF120s for the price. Some less expensive alternatives that are still great are the BitFenix Spectre Pros, Phobya G-Silent 1200RPM and low RPM Yate Loons (1200 or lower).

For the HDDs, as Haz points out in the OP, it's really tough to suggest anything right now. All the good HDDs are gone as the market has been stripped down to two manufacturers. Western Digital Reds are probably the best option at this point if you're looking for reliability.

For a GPU, you'll want to look at the 660Ti and the 7950. I like the latter more, but the former runs quieter. For 660Tis, look at the Gigabyte, ASUS, and MSI twin fan designs. For the 7950, look at the Sapphire and Powercolor twin fan cards or the Gigabyte three fan card. Once you've decided on 660Ti vs. 7950, you can't really go wrong between the specific options I've listed. Just buy whatever is the least expensive at the time.

The reasons why I like the 7950 over the 660Ti is that it has a lot more VRAM (3GB vs. 1.6-1.8), and that the card has a ton of headroom in terms of overclocking to definitely outshine the 660Ti.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll take out that stand alone HD. How many programs could I need on basically what will be a dedicated Steam machine, right?

mkenyon

Banned
Alright, the following items are FREE, including shipping. International shipments should be cool too, but I'll need to check rates beforehand. Might need to chip in a little, might not.

PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR ADDRESS IN A PM WHEN I PUT YOUR NAME IN RED NEXT TO AN ITEM.

BsItjl.jpg

1) Gigabyte 3.5" bay USB3, with internal header. Taken by CambriaRising

2) TWO Sandybridge stock heatsinks.

3) TWO 6' HDMI cables.

4) Gigabyte 3-Way SLI bridge.

s0Vool.jpg

5) BitFenix Spectre Pro 120mm White LED Taken by Jzero

6) TWO dual 6 pin to 8 pin extensions, sleeved red.

7) XBox 360 video out to VGA/Optical/Stereo breakout cable. Taken by Mr. Nightman

8) TWO all back SATA cables (yes, SATA 6GB) One taken by CatPee (this will not be the first piece of hardware I have lost to CatPee. Just sayin')

VIYsLl.jpg

9) Razer Destructor Mousepad Taken by SalsaShark

10) Zotac Ion/ATOM motherboard (whole system, only need storage drive and RAM). This is missing the power brick, but it plugs in to the cable on the right. Should be able to be sourced from Zotac. Taken by kennah

VLGfal.png

1RbbLl.png

11) AMD Phenom II X4 970 (I clocked as high as 4.3GHz) - This has a few bent pins, but a good local computer store should be able to fix it. The bent pins are only on a single row (last row). Taken by Mr. Nightman

PCpzql.jpg

12) Primochill PRO LRT tubing in white - 7/16" ID, 5/8" OD Taken by Scogoth

vlp9nl.jpg

13) TWO XSPC K2 TIM

14) TWO XSPC TIM (comes with Raystorm, supposedly pretty good - unbranded)

Jzero

motherboard please and 120mm White LED if i can pick two :p

Edit: kennah picked mobo so i want the 120 mm led fan.

mkenyon

Banned
Also, because I had the camera/lights out, pics of my R4 build that aren't crappy.

aoKCqh.jpg

gCsLFh.jpg

Makes a damn fine secondary computer for recording video out from my main rig. Gives me something to use when I break stuff on my project main computer too.

mkenyon

Banned
Also, PM me your address when I put your name in red next to an item. Include your real name, unless you think USPS will deliver something to your handle. It has happened before.

cackhyena

Also, because I had the camera/lights out, pics of my R4 build that aren't crappy.

aoKCqh.jpg

gCsLFh.jpg

Makes a damn fine secondary computer for recording video out from my main rig. Gives me something to use when I break stuff on my project main computer too.
Wtf. Is the R4s drive bay section identical to the R3s? I wanna be able to take out a bunch of slots like that as well for airflow if possible.

cackhyena

Mkenyon, did you have have to cut part of that drive bay stack out? Or does it come apart in pieces like that? I seriously wanna do that if it's possible in my case. Really wish I could ge it as clean as you in there.

mkenyon

Banned
Mkenyon, did you have have to cut part of that drive bay stack out? Or does it come apart in pieces like that? I seriously wanna do that if it's possible in my case. Really wish I could ge it as clean as you in there.
It's one of the advancements of the R4 (and is also how it works in the Arc).

*edit*

Also, thank you everyone. You're doing me the favor by taking this stuff because a) it makes me happier, and b) that means less stuff in my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom