• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I need a New PC!" 2012 Thread. 22nm+28nm, Tri-Gate, and reading the OP. [Part 1]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xdrive05

I think so. At least UE4, the engine that matters most, will use it properly. If my 3570k @ 4.4GHz can't keep up in a couple years then i'll probably swap it and some coin for a 3770k on craigslist. Already have a PCI-e 3.0 board... so I hope this lasts for a good while.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
So here's the deal. I'm building a new PC. I want it to be able to run most/all my Steam games at max'd (or close to max'd) specs. What's more important is that I want to run Wii games at 1080p at 60fps, including Mario Galaxy 2 (which seem notoriously difficult to run at full speed).

One thing to note here is that the graphics card in this build is completely unknown. A good friend of mine is surprising me with a video card for beating cancer (which sparked this whole build), so I have literally no idea what kind of card it'll be. But my guess is it'll be around a 670.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H60 74.4 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($238.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($95.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($188.67 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.98 @ NCIX US)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($47.52 @ B&H)
Other: BELKIN F7D4101 Play N600 Wireless Adapter ($69.99)
Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader ($11.99)
Total: $1764.55
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-24 02:17 EDT-0400)

Ty4on

I would swap that CPU for an 1155 Ivy Bridge CPU like the 3570k or a 3770k. Don't be fooled by the i5 name, the 3570k is a beast which uses less power and is much easier to overclock than the 3820. The 3770k is just an 3570k with hyperthreading which means the 3770k's four cores can run two threads at the same time which can be neat in video editing and some games, but not really worth the extra cost if you're not going to be running VMs or video editing. These CPUs would also require a cheaper Z77 motherboard (socket 1155).

Edit: Someone may want to correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Dolphin either runs well on both CPUs I listed or possibly better on the cheaper 3570k (some apps don't like hyperthreading and it is far from eight true cores).

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I would swap that CPU for an 1155 Ivy Bridge CPU like the 3570k or a 3770k. Don't be fooled by the i5 name, the 3570k is a beast which uses less power and is much easier to overclock than the 3820. The 3770k is just an 3570k with hyperthreading which means the 3770k's four cores can run two threads at the same time which can be neat in video editing and some games, but not really worth the extra cost if you're not going to be running VMs or video editing. These CPUs would also require a cheaper Z77 motherboard (socket 1155).

Edit: Someone may want to correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Dolphin either runs well on both CPUs I listed or possibly better on the cheaper 3570k (some apps don't like hyperthreading and it is far from eight true cores).

I changed some stuff up. Thoughts?

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($103.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($188.67 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 650D ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.93 @ Mac Connection)
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 850W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($47.52 @ B&H)
Other: Silverstone Tek 19 Pin USB3.0 Adapter Cable - External to Internal (CP09) ($11.98)
Other: Rosewill RCR-IC001 40-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB Port ($11.99)
Other: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM ($9.99)
Total: $1247.99

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Ahh, congrats Dacvak :)
Dunno why you didn't post your full reddit buildapc post, but here you go:

1) Dolphin currently is configured to use 2 cores (minus some audio thread testing) as effectively as possible. As such you want an overclock capable processor and 4 threads vs 8 doesn't matter for that. However for the coin you can drop on a rig without needing to buy a card, and you doing some video work It'd be nice to grab that 3770K. Either way you'd be looking at a nice boost to 4.3-4.4Ghz, possibly 4.5. That should cover just about everything for Dolphin.

2) Swap your RAM to these Samsungs (30nm, low voltage, and OC to stupidly high speeds). Also cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

3) Swap the M4 to the Samsung 830, only a small thing.

4) WD Blacks are pretty much the loudest consumer drive you can buy. Either grab the 1TB BLUE in the OP (match the model number) or find a TRUE Samsung F4 2TB (Anything you buy online now is a Seagate not a Samsung). Any 1.5-3TB drive on the market sans POSSIBLY the WD RED 2TB (and you have to disable a setting for that) is shit. The HDD market is totally a duopoly and it's shit right now.

5) I'll echo the keyboard suggestion on reddit. You can try out different keyboards first if you like and find out what kind of switches interest you before you dive in. It's just a joy to type on a mechanical keyboard. Feature and price wise the Razer BlackWidow (and Tournament edition) are decent enough. Other than those the Rosewill's are nice barebones keyboards that come in a few key varieties.

6) AS5 is old, still good, but can conduct and stuff and needs to cure. Swap it for some MX-2, MX-4 or something like that. There's a dozen that perform very close.

7) Super minor, but the DVD drive has better ratings: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

8) For the CM 212 EVO you might want to consider a replacement 120mm fan for some extra quiet. Scythe Kama, Gentle Typhoon, Corsair Air.

And yeah Liquid isn't worth it anymore when air heatsink tech has gone way up, even fans. You can something really really nice for 50-80 bucks. You can go WC when you do a full loop and drop 230 on it.

Dipswitch

So my Asus P8Z77-V LE Plus (Christ, that's a mouthful) mobo came with that Virtu MVP software. I've just installed it now, but haven't tested it yet.

Anyone have any experience with it? It seems to fall into the "Too good to be true" category, so I'm skeptical of Virtu's claims. Just curious if anyone has positive things to say about it or if it falls under the "snake oil" category of products.

1-D_FTW

dont know why I said I contacted Nvidia, meant MSI, brain fart. Sent several emails and got no response, this was some months ago.

not sure if I could make it with one fan. Im still using both but one is clearly broken and doing a god awful loud sound (better if I have the whole case tilted, wich is what I do).

Might go for monitor + new heatsink. As for what is this $800 monitor im talking about, it'd be the Samsung 27A950:

Samsung_SyncMaster_T27A950.jpg

I know that some Gaffers have one or two of them and recommend them. I know it's insane to spend that kind of money on a monitor but honestly it's mostly just the insane prices we get around here all around. It also looks like something that would definetly be my dedicated monitor for quite some time.

the website doesnt specify if this is the 120hz or 60hz model though, i'll probably rely on that as to wether I should get it or not.

Why would you go with Samsung? The whole color arguement is non-sense. Any monitor can be calibrated to 6500k (or real close).

Also, since it's TN, you really do want to be able to adjust these things. Not only can't you adjust the height/angle on that, it doesn't use VESA mounts for custom options.

The new 144hz Asus is only 499.99. To me it's crazy to go any other direction if this is the type of monitor you want.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00906HM6K/?tag=neogaf0e-20

cackhyena

So after running this Gigabyte 670 2gb through it's paces with certain new games on max settings I have to say, if you are considering a 670, get this one. I am seriously astounded at how little sound is coming out of the thing. I honestly can't distinguish the difference between my PC just idling and this thing running games. So glad I went for this one.

I just put my PC together and wired it the best I can. There are a few extras left over from my power supply (hopefully for the GPU) and the case (Phantom 410).

I only have one fan slot plugged in and am hoping that one slot powers all three fans (I doubt it) because I can't find any other wires that match the rest of the fan slots on the motherboard (Asus P8Z77 XL).

I'm going to power it up for the first time when I get home and see what happens. I have everything ready to go except for the OS (still debating 7 or wait for 8) and the 660ti (I may go with MSI).

1-D_FTW

did you read the post you quoted at all. That monitor is costing me $800 cause I dont live in the US. It's either this or a viewsonic one, not many options around here.

As far as I know it's not a bad monitor at all.

Had you confused with someone else (who imports through a relative). You're right, though, I should have known. When I told amazon tony to give binary domain to you instead, i knew you could't go through amazon. Not sure why I confused the two of you.

It's a decent monitor. It's also 120hz. Stand behind the stand though. Having a tn panel that can't be adjusted is a pretty major form over function design choice IMO.

Salsa

Had you confused with someone else (who imports through a relative). You're right, though, I should have known. When I told amazon tony to give binary domain to you instead, i knew you could't go through amazon. Not sure why I confused the two of you.

It's a decent monitor. It's also 120hz. Stand behind the stand though. Having a tn panel that can't be adjusted is a pretty major form over function design choice IMO.

That's the thing I mean, I could have someone bring some stuff over eventually (when a relative goes over there, happens from time to time), but it's much easier (and cheaper) to bring say a videocard rather than a big ass monitor. Im sorry if that came out as rude, wasnt the intention.

Im not sure about what you mean with the panel. Is it that you just cant adjust much of the monitor's stand? I understand that it only bends upwards but I dont really think im gonna have too much trouble with that. Im guessing you mean that the TN panels arent the best for viewing angles and such

Anandtech review

While this drive looks amazing, I'm hoping for a clearance sale on the 830's to pick up a 256GB one for home.

They have been doing it a bit but with this new one i hope its more frequent (though the 30% difference in price might not be enough to drop the 830s a lot lol).

So after running this Gigabyte 670 2gb through it's paces with certain new games on max settings I have to say, if you are considering a 670, get this one. I am seriously astounded at how little sound is coming out of the thing. I honestly can't distinguish the difference between my PC just idling and this thing running games. So glad I went for this one.

Actually this version of the 670 has been pimped in the thread for a while now. It unfortunate that its price is a bit too high for me :(

Rur0ni

Yep yep.. I'm running SLI and I only hear them at boot. Deathly quiet.

Does anybody have an idea on what kind of deals are available for video cards during Black Friday sales? I'm waiting till then to buy a new video card and I'm hoping I can snag a 660 for $150 or so. Is that a little too far fetched or a reasonable deal that I could see this coming Black Friday at a place like Newegg?

1-D_FTW

That's the thing I mean, I could have someone bring some stuff over eventually (when a relative goes over there, happens from time to time), but it's much easier (and cheaper) to bring say a videocard rather than a big ass monitor. Im sorry if that came out as rude, wasnt the intention.

Im not sure about what you mean with the panel. Is it that you just cant adjust much of the monitor's stand? I understand that it only bends upwards but I dont really think im gonna have too much trouble with that. Im guessing you mean that the TN panels arent the best for viewing angles and such

That's basically what I'm talking about. I always bust on the 120hz TN haters and say I don't swing from the ceiling and have no problem centering a screen that sits two feet in front of me. But I also have it dead eye centered with the mounting bracket I use. It's possible it's not an issue, but that's always the big concern I had with those Samsungs.

Also, don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure you need to use Display Port on those Samsungs for 120hz. So if you're using an older Nvidia card, you may be out of luck until you upgrade. Not sure. I was told this was the case when I was considering it, but didn't really dig too deep since I was planning on a GPU upgrade shortly anyways.

Dacvak

Ahh, congrats Dacvak :)
Dunno why you didn't post your full reddit buildapc post, but here you go:

1) Dolphin currently is configured to use 2 cores (minus some audio thread testing) as effectively as possible. As such you want an overclock capable processor and 4 threads vs 8 doesn't matter for that. However for the coin you can drop on a rig without needing to buy a card, and you doing some video work It'd be nice to grab that 3770K. Either way you'd be looking at a nice boost to 4.3-4.4Ghz, possibly 4.5. That should cover just about everything for Dolphin.

2) Swap your RAM to these Samsungs (30nm, low voltage, and OC to stupidly high speeds). Also cheaper. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147096

3) Swap the M4 to the Samsung 830, only a small thing.

4) WD Blacks are pretty much the loudest consumer drive you can buy. Either grab the 1TB BLUE in the OP (match the model number) or find a TRUE Samsung F4 2TB (Anything you buy online now is a Seagate not a Samsung). Any 1.5-3TB drive on the market sans POSSIBLY the WD RED 2TB (and you have to disable a setting for that) is shit. The HDD market is totally a duopoly and it's shit right now.

5) I'll echo the keyboard suggestion on reddit. You can try out different keyboards first if you like and find out what kind of switches interest you before you dive in. It's just a joy to type on a mechanical keyboard. Feature and price wise the Razer BlackWidow (and Tournament edition) are decent enough. Other than those the Rosewill's are nice barebones keyboards that come in a few key varieties.

6) AS5 is old, still good, but can conduct and stuff and needs to cure. Swap it for some MX-2, MX-4 or something like that. There's a dozen that perform very close.

7) Super minor, but the DVD drive has better ratings: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135204

8) For the CM 212 EVO you might want to consider a replacement 120mm fan for some extra quiet. Scythe Kama, Gentle Typhoon, Corsair Air.

And yeah Liquid isn't worth it anymore when air heatsink tech has gone way up, even fans. You can something really really nice for 50-80 bucks. You can go WC when you do a full loop and drop 230 on it.

Awesome! Thanks for your feedback. I think I'm going to make all of those changes you've suggested. I still have about a week before I buy, so I'll be making another post before then with the final purchase list.

TheExodu5

Banned
Stop worrying about SSD stats. Sequential writes? Whether it's 80MB/s or 500MB/s, you probably won't notice the difference. Sequential writes is really only useful if you're copying from SSD to SSD, or writing insane amount of data for some specialized applications. Sequential write is pretty much never a bottleneck.

Shambles

Stop worrying about SSD stats. Sequential writes? Whether it's 80MB/s or 500MB/s, you probably won't notice the difference. Sequential writes is really only useful if you're copying from SSD to SSD, or writing insane amount of data for some specialized applications. Sequential write is pretty much never a bottleneck.

Was about to post something of a similar vein. The 840 really is a 'meh' as it's more of the same in a sea of fast SSDs out there. Most of those reviews are bogus comparing the 512GB model against 60-256GB models. Leaving out 4k read/writes altogether or if they do even bother to show them they show QD32 4k benchmarks which mean absolutely nothing in real world testing. When you look at the real world testing the 840 doesn't do anything that the rest of the pack doesn't already do. If prices on the unit settle to something competitive it could be a recommended pick but if it was between the 840 and an m4, or 830, or anything else doing well now that was 5$ cheaper i'd save myself the 5$.

Dacvak

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yeah basically this. Improvements to random is nice. Lower power is nice.
Sales on 830 and m4 stock is even nicer.

I wouldn't put up the 840 or any new SSD drive until it's been on the market a while. One of the reasons I had the m4 up for so long instead of the 830 + m4.
I'm not sure if this really belongs in the new PC thread or not, but I just got a pair of A40s and A30s from Astro gaming:

http://www.astrogaming.com/a40-audio-system-astro-edition
http://www.astrogaming.com/a30-headset-silver-edition

Long story short, they're pretty damn incredible. Amazing sound, great feel, high build quality. Good stuff all around.
Post in the headphone thread and see what they say :p
I'm in the market for a mic for my headset atm, but may end up just buying a new headset with a mic.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
What are the thoughts on Novatech bundles, like this one? Not sure if i'm going to get or build a new PC, just browsing.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
What are the thoughts on Novatech bundles, like this one? Not sure if i'm going to get or build a new PC, just browsing.
Seems ok, but doesn't look like you save anything, or very much over picking your parts.
Having it prebuilt and tested is nice, but if you can find out what actual parts they use it would be better. Can't really go wrong with their case, psu, ram, or a z77 board.

Salsa

That's basically what I'm talking about. I always bust on the 120hz TN haters and say I don't swing from the ceiling and have no problem centering a screen that sits two feet in front of me. But I also have it dead eye centered with the mounting bracket I use. It's possible it's not an issue, but that's always the big concern I had with those Samsungs.

Also, don't hold me to this, but I'm pretty sure you need to use Display Port on those Samsungs for 120hz. So if you're using an older Nvidia card, you may be out of luck until you upgrade. Not sure. I was told this was the case when I was considering it, but didn't really dig too deep since I was planning on a GPU upgrade shortly anyways.

thanks for the tips. I'll do some research and try one before jumping on it.

the only other thing I could do is going 23', then i'd have the option betwen these two:

23A700

23A550

but yeah I think im gonna like the 27' since now im used to this 26 inch one I have with the terrible res. Going smaller would probably bother me a bit. We'll see.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
The Samsungs run DP so you have to use TriDef which seems ok for most big titles?

I'm on the verge of jumping on a 120Hz panel. Blame mkenyon.

Jzero

Do you guys think it's worth it to buy a Sabertooth Z77? I think it's super expensive but it may be future proof for a while.

jsrv

$269.99 for the 256gb 840 pro... Ouch. Isn't that more expensive than the new Plextor SSD? I wonder if Intel's next SSD will be as expensive

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished transferring everything over from the 550D to the FT02. I've noticed a few improvements from back when I had the old usb 2.0 version such as the top being easier to remove and the little hooks on the bottom of the door being slightly different. I just need to get the slightly-defective top fan replaced and I'll be in business.

What pc speakers do you guys use? I need to finally get a pair...

mkenyon

Banned
AFTER MORE CLEANING I HAVE ADDITIONAL FREEBIES, GOING TO POST AT 9PM PST TOMORROW, FIRST COME FIRST SERVE.

The Samsungs run DP so you have to use TriDef which seems ok for most big titles?

I'm on the verge of jumping on a 120Hz panel. Blame mkenyon.
Not quite. 700D = dual link DVI, 750D = DP, 950D = both.

I changed some stuff up. Thoughts?

Total: $1247.99
In addition to Haz's suggestions, I'd suggest going with something other than the 650D. If you get bit by the enthusiast bug, you're going to face a lot of limitations. Even if you don't, it's limited in a lot of ways around how the standard airflow is designed. Some options for better cases with a similar aesthetic (as in, not for a teenager): Fractal Arc Midi, Define R4, Silverstone TJ04, Bitfenix Ghost, Shinobi XL, Lian Li PC-90, PC-A55.
I just put my PC together and wired it the best I can. There are a few extras left over from my power supply (hopefully for the GPU) and the case (Phantom 410).

I only have one fan slot plugged in and am hoping that one slot powers all three fans (I doubt it) because I can't find any other wires that match the rest of the fan slots on the motherboard (Asus P8Z77 XL).

I'm going to power it up for the first time when I get home and see what happens. I have everything ready to go except for the OS (still debating 7 or wait for 8) and the 660ti (I may go with MSI).
I'm struggling to figure out what you mean here. Rewrite?
Yes yes yes yes. I can't tell a difference between a Vertex 2 and a Crucial M4 RAID0 in anything outside of boot times. Seriously.

HOWEVER, the 840 Pro is supposedly binned to be reliable enough to serve as the 'go to' enterprise drive. That is the most significant thing to be excited about.
Do you guys think it's worth it to buy a Sabertooth Z77? I think it's super expensive but it may be future proof for a while.
There's no aspect of the Sabertooth Z77 that makes it more future proof than any other motherboard. In fact, missing Thunderbolt, it's less future proof than other motherboards. My short list of high end Z77 boards:

ASRock Z77 OC Formula
ASUS Maximus V Gene
Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3
Gigabyte UP7
Gigabyte UP5-TH

I'd be happy as a pig in shit to have any of those.

Xdrive05

Gaf, how long does a DDR3 RAM product usually stay on the market? I ask because I got a complimentary 2x4GB set with my mobo and I'm thinking about ordering another round so that I have 16GB total. It's only $39 shipped.

If it ends up being useful or necessary in a couple years (who knows what UE4 may need?), do you think this RAM will still be available then? Or would it be wise to jump on now?

mkenyon

Banned
Gaf, how long does a DDR3 RAM product usually stay on the market? I ask because I got a complimentary 2x4GB set with my mobo and I'm thinking about ordering another round so that I have 16GB total. It's only $39 shipped.

If it ends up being useful or necessary in a couple years (who knows what UE4 may need?), do you think this RAM will still be available then? Or would it be wise to jump on now?
It is unlikely to get less expensive, and will definitely raise in price over time.
I can't really fathom 16GB being necessary, but I'm sure people said that about 2GB. Outside of multimedia stuff, I've never gone above 4GB used.

Xdrive05

It is unlikely to get less expensive, and will definitely raise in price over time.
I can't really fathom 16GB being necessary, but I'm sure people said that about 2GB. Outside of multimedia stuff, I've never gone above 4GB used.

Thanks. I'll probably buy soon while it's cheap.

I'm thinking over 8GB may be useful for next gen engines, especially if Durango will really have 8GB. Hell, Max Payne 3 already recommends 16GB (though I bet it doesn't really use it).

the_standard

Neo Member
I have a AMD ATHLON II X2 255 DUAL CORE system with 4gb of ram and a
ATI RADEON HD 4670 1 GB video card, for a $100 what would be the best upgrade for me video card wise? any suggestions,thanx.

I'm struggling to figure out what you mean here. Rewrite?
There are 4 fan connectors on my motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LX). I have 2 plugged in. My heatsink is plugged into to CPU_FAN and the power supply is plugged into CHA_FAN2. I'm sure this is probably all kinds of wrong. I have 2 that are not plugged into anything (CHA_FAN2 and PWR_FAN) but I also have no more cables from either my case or my power supply that can plug into them.

I'm thinking that my power supply should plug into PWR_FAN? But it's a 3 prong connector while the actual plug coming from my power supply is a 4 prong.

What kind of i7?
i7-3770K
LGA1155

Also says on the box:

4 cores / 8-way multitask processing
Intel Turbo boost 2.0
Hyper-threading tech

mkenyon

Banned
There are 4 fan connectors on my motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LX). I have 2 plugged in. My heatsink is plugged into to CPU_FAN and the power supply is plugged into CHA_FAN2. I'm sure this is probably all kinds of wrong. I have 2 that are not plugged into anything (CHA_FAN2 and PWR_FAN) but I also have no more cables from either my case or my power supply that can plug into them.

I'm thinking that my power supply should plug into PWR_FAN? But it's a 3 prong connector while the actual plug coming from my power supply is a 4 prong.

i7-3770K
LGA1155

Also says on the box:

4 cores / 8-way multitask processing
Intel Turbo boost 2.0
Hyper-threading tech
Those control fans, nothing more. So you want to plug your fans into the motherboard headers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom