• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't see how anyone could give 343 a chance on Halo Infinite after Halo 5. They have made only one tolerable game in their entire existence.

01011001 01011001 Never try to argue with guys with anime girls in avatars.

giphy.gif

-Arcadia-

Banned
Not a guy, tyvm.

It’s good advice though. As is never arguing with braindead fanboys.

@ModofWar, if this tags (having a little trouble) here’s honest advice without negative connotations, unlike the above. Mod poor posts, and posters, more than you do people getting irritated with them.

Anything adjacent to fanboys, and that’s a lot of subjects on gaming side, is getting unbearable to post in. If you’re seeing an uptick in frustration and lashing out, from me, or anyone, hitting the root cause will help far more with that.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Let’s get back on topic. I’m just a rando, but too much unpleasantness in here

343i bad? 343i good? Weigh in.

Personally, I think Infinite is the last chance to turn it around. If they can deliver something that really lives up to the Halo mantle, or at least does an admirable job, all or most transgressions will be forgiven. If they don’t, though...

Let’s get back on topic. I’m just a rando, but too much unpleasantness in here

343i bad? 343i good? Weigh in.

Personally, I think Infinite is the last chance to turn it around. If they can deliver something that really lives up to the Halo mantle, or at least does an admirable job, all or most transgressions will be forgiven. If they don’t, though...
You could say it's a.... Mantle of Responsibility.

*drums and cymbal*

Whitesnake

Banned
343i fundamentally don’t understand what made the original Halo games (Halo: CE up to Halo: Reach) great. They don’t understand the story or characters, they don’t understand the gameplay, they don’t understand the level design, they don’t understand the aesthetic, nothing.

And I say this as someone who genuinely enjoyed 4 and 5. They were decent games, but they weren’t Halo, and they were nowhere near as good as the real Halo games.

Last edited:

SpartanN92

Banned
I’m gonna be frank, I’m a biased Halo fan, and I’ve gotten some crazy perks from 343 (Trips to E3, A RvB cameo, PAX parties, early play tests etc) 343 has really treated me well as an individual and I will ALWAYS defend Halo 4. It was a solid first attempt, and they really put their hearts into it.
That said.
Halo 5 was a colossal failure.

Grinchy

Banned
I’m gonna be frank, I’m a biased Halo fan, and I’ve gotten some crazy perks from 343 (Trips to E3, A RvB cameo, PAX parties, early play tests etc) 343 has really treated me well as an individual and I will ALWAYS defend Halo 4. It was a solid first attempt, and they really put their hearts into it.
That said.
Halo 5 was a colossal failure.
Was the MP any good? I never tried it and only played some of the unfortunate campaign.

Cutty Flam

Banned
I'm actually really excited for this one despite my dread for 343i vision

Never played Halo 5, I was heavily disappointed with the direction of Halo 4 so I skipped it without a care sadly. But I think maybe now they will get it right and bring back the glory we once played, maybe, hopefully....

Kagey K

Banned
Was the MP any good? I never tried it and only played some of the unfortunate campaign.
The MP in Halo 5 was actually very good, and I hope they don’t deviate far from it. We don’t need another a CoD or Battlefield. We need a good Arena shooter and H5 was as good as it gets this gen.

They can do whatever they want with Warzone and Horde and whatever. Just leave the 4 vs 4 arena alone.

JoeDanny

I am VERY cautious for Infinite. Halo 5 suckered me in with Forge and custom games, but I can't dismiss the awful choices made by 343. The bait-and-switch marketing. Removal of splitscreen. The undoing of the emotional ending of Halo 4 by bringing Cortana back as the villain.

343 have had this track record of coming SO close to getting it right, but they keep missing the mark fundamentally one way or another. I think their biggest sin with Halo 4 and 5 have been the chasing of industry trends. I'm a little more hopeful for now after the latest "We Are 343 Industries" video (is this part of the first wave of marketing hype for Infinite?). There's a line in the video about respecting the legacy of the series "to help make sure that Halo doesn't just become an amalgamation of what the market is currently doing". Looking at this quote with Halo 4 and Halo 5 in mind, it seems obvious that they've realized their past mistakes with trend-chasing. Halo 4's Call-of-Duty-ized multiplayer is an obvious point, with killstreaks, custom classes, perks, and of course sprint by default. Then we see Halo 5 pursuing the advanced mobility trend made popular by, who would have guessed, Call of Duty! as well as Titanfall. Furthermore was the inclusion of microtransactions which the community seems to overlook.

Hopefully this all means that 343 really have realized their past stewardship of the Halo franchise have in fact been amalgamations of what the market was doing. They really need to get it right this time, because I feel like Microsoft is going all-out with the $500 million budget, and another dud could mean that Halo might be gone forever.

I am VERY cautious for Infinite. Halo 5 suckered me in with Forge and custom games, but I can't dismiss the awful choices made by 343. The bait-and-switch marketing. Removal of splitscreen. The undoing of the emotional ending of Halo 4 by bringing Cortana back as the villain.

343 have had this track record of coming SO close to getting it right, but they keep missing the mark fundamentally one way or another. I think their biggest sin with Halo 4 and 5 have been the chasing of industry trends. I'm a little more hopeful for now after the latest "We Are 343 Industries" video (is this part of the first wave of marketing hype for Infinite?). There's a line in the video about respecting the legacy of the series "to help make sure that Halo doesn't just become an amalgamation of what the market is currently doing". Looking at this quote with Halo 4 and Halo 5 in mind, it seems obvious that they've realized their past mistakes with trend-chasing. Halo 4's Call-of-Duty-ized multiplayer is an obvious point, with killstreaks, custom classes, perks, and of course sprint by default. Then we see Halo 5 pursuing the advanced mobility trend made popular by, who would have guessed, Call of Duty! as well as Titanfall. Furthermore was the inclusion of microtransactions which the community seems to overlook.

Hopefully this all means that 343 really have realized their past stewardship of the Halo franchise have in fact been amalgamations of what the market was doing. They really need to get it right this time, because I feel like Microsoft is going all-out with the $500 million budget, and another dud could mean that Halo might be gone forever.
Is it really a $500 million budget? I heard this before but it seemed like rumor.

Also complete agree with you regarding the "undoing the ending" of Halo 4. Now I'm just utterly sick of Cortana.

Last edited:

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Like I said in the other thread, 343 are screwed... damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They can’t make the game ultra realistic looking because it’s halo, so people will cry it looks shit. They can’t make it look stylised, because other people will loan it looks shit.

Change the gameplay? Fuckers!! Keep it the same? Do something original!

They just can’t win with this, as they will piss some group off...

You do realise the MCC was fixed last year and is now easily one of the best game collections from any generation.

Usually when something is fixed people aren't still complaining about problems but it's better than it was before I guess, 5 years after launch since 2014.

I don't have to "give them a chance".. when the game comes out I'll read reviews like every other game. And not like I have to buy the game... GamePass exists.

Mommy needs to change your diapy.

I see you are still in preschool, you have to be over 10 years old to post here.

You have to be retarded or not a real Halo fan to see that 343i are headed in the right direction with the wide open maps / open world.
They are going back to the roots of Halo.

Skunks stink for a reason.

OP sounds like a fanboy who hasn't even played the games or was never going to get Halo Infinite. I'm happy 343i are at the helm.

If I'm a fanboy than how could I have not played the games?

Doom is 60 fps and looks better than halo 5, battlefield, call of duty are both 60 fps have 100x the graphics than halo 5, your excuses are meaningless 343 are losers the last good halo game i played was 3 and after that they couldnt catch the vibe of the first 2 games.

5000000x the gwaphics

People still take this guy's bait? Lol

Before joining, just seeing his posts then i already had a legit concern for his mental health 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

More like SleepMalpractice.

They even screwed up what you call the one good game. The way the introduction to the Flood is completely ruined, really is quite something.

Never said it was a good game, I said it was tolerable.

Not old enough obviously and may never be. That post was 30 seconds I will never get back because I stopped reading the drivel before I wasted any more time.

We have classes here that can teach you how to read if you're having trouble.

If Halo Infinite isn't up to snuff the entire high level studio management needs to be replaced. 3 strikes and you're out.

3 strikes was over in 2014.

The salt and jealousy in here among the PlayStation fanboys is thick. While 343 isn't the best, Halo 5 still sold north of 5 million units and with PC and XB1 combined, MCC will probably reach north of 5 million as well. While not Bungie level or Halo 4 level of mega-hit, still really solid numbers. PlayStation fanboys are legit shook that Killzone is dead and Series X launches with Halo Infinite. :messenger_winking:

Is this user accusing me of being a Sony fanboy?

This thread literally starts with the OP calling an entire development studio idiots lol

Taking this way too seriously, I'm sure they are fine people they just can't make an FPS to save their lives.

NeoGAF mods encourage shit-talking behind other people's backs confirmed.

Didn't take enough time to think this post through.

OP is way too emotional over the quality of a videogame. If it ends up being shit, play something else. Don't see why people drown in rage because some random fucking videogame sucks.

Why did you even enter this thread?

Yes and if the score was 98 you could list games with a 99 or 100. Not sure what your point is.

Three scores not a single console game got this entire generation. Why did you even enter the thread?

It’s a Voost Kain thread. Don’t take any of it literal. It’s like the court jester or village idiot to honeypot shittakes.

Likely never played an Xbox One. But came here anyway.

Graciaus

Like I said in the other thread, 343 are screwed... damned if they do, damned if they don’t. They can’t make the game ultra realistic looking because it’s halo, so people will cry it looks shit. They can’t make it look stylised, because other people will loan it looks shit.

Change the gameplay? Fuckers!! Keep it the same? Do something original!

They just can’t win with this, as they will piss some group off...
They could win but are just stubborn. Player population is low and sales keep declining. Fans have been telling them they don't want this new style of Halo.

I have no idea why Microsoft hasn't stepped in at this point. Just had another bug filled launch a few months ago with Reach to the mcc.

SpartanN92

Banned

I see people defend the MP but I don’t think they are really Halo fans.
The MP maps were atrocious (Both gameplay wise and aesthetically), adding Aim Down Sights isn’t Halo, Sprint sucks, Ground Pound/Spartan Charge/Thruster/Clamber are the biggest deal breakers to me, they are God awful mechanics.
Halo 5 is an ugly game, especially the MP. The armors are sooooooo bad, the environments are trash, and the weapons/vehicles are ugly. Aesthetically it just isn’t a pleasant game to look at.

Ten_Fold

Loved halo 2 and 3, but didn't like ODST or Reach,halo 4 was meh, halo 5 was just OK, I think it will be good, might not be halo 2 or 3 good but worth playing for a while at least. Also is halo 3 online playable on MCC on PC?

scalman

but we giving everyone the chance, chance to make good game , to show us the trailer and blow our minds. that they could do sure, and should.

TUROK

Your a joke of a mod.
Dude banned me for a facetious remark lel.

Wouldn't be NeoGAF without dweeby mods on a power trip.

Fact of the matter is, though, you're not going to foster productive discussion when the OP's post comes across as a bitter nerd rant.

No need to ban people left and right to fix it, but we should probably encourage users to stop getting so uppity over something so inconsequential as video games.

Codes 208

I see people defend the MP but I don’t think they are really Halo fans.
The MP maps were atrocious (Both gameplay wise and aesthetically), adding Aim Down Sights isn’t Halo, Sprint sucks, Ground Pound/Spartan Charge/Thruster/Clamber are the biggest deal breakers to me, they are God awful mechanics.
Halo 5 is an ugly game, especially the MP. The armors are sooooooo bad, the environments are trash, and the weapons/vehicles are ugly. Aesthetically it just isn’t a pleasant game to look at.
I reluctantly agree, despite halo 4 being a straight-up CoD clone, it atleast had decent maps which for me is the biggest sin of halo 5’s mp. Frankly the concept of spartan abilities doesnt really bug me but what they had to do with the maps to get them to work irks me the wrong way. The new midship for example plays nothing like the original and now small maps still feel to big and open due to increased movement speed/versatility.

and dont even get me fucking started on the btb maps, or the lack thereof...

Last edited:
I think it's safe to give 343i another chance. Halo 4 wasn't THAT bad and the MP was very fun albeit I agree it needs to be less like a CoD and return more to its roots.

I'm mostly concerned with the story ans single player campaign and personally I could care less how they treat the MP.

I'm a bit miffed they somewhat retconned Keyminds but maybe that is just in name.

As I said before, I'd like to get back to stuff about the Flood or even Precursors. Or something else new.

Hell, is there a Halo lore thread here? I'd love to check that out so long as it's not in the Community forum because I apparently don't have permission to post/reply there and I'm a lore buff when it comes to Halo.

GymWolf

To be completely honest, i don't really give a fuck about halo story or master chief, just gimme a good game this time and cancel promethean from this fucking universe.

343 like the coalition with gears saga need to really step up their game in next gen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom