• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't see how anyone could give 343 a chance on Halo Infinite after Halo 5. They have made only one tolerable game in their entire existence.

GameOfPixelsX

Neo Member
People are excited by the false promises and trailers that the 343 Idiots call HALO INFINITE, but I can see through them right quick. They grab you with all the flash but then when you receive the game you have nothing but lies, poor design, and poor experiences.

I gave them numerous chances. The one tolerable game they have made is their first, Halo Anniversary for the Xbox 360. They did alright for a new studio and I liked the touchups they added, but then it all went down hill from there. Halo 4 almost destroyed the franchise, they completely rewrote the plot and introduced new enemies that are still universally panned today. They damaged the multiplayer so badly that the population died only a few months after launch. They decided to remove key mechanics that fans loved, replacing them with mechanics seen in Call of Duty and several of its cash-in clones. Then after a few sub-par mobile games, they put out the Master Chief Collection. Couldn't even handle that, and it took almost 2 years to fix the damn thing and it's still not fixed today.

Then there's Halo 5! Halo 5, Halo 5, Halo 5. They got us good. They showed us fake gameplay not even running on an Xbox One, even gave us this exciting plot about a Master Chief on the run from a new adversary while trying to clear his name. They claimed to have hired new writers, and stated they listened to fan feedback, people who were fooled posted online saying Halo was back! No, it wasn't back, it was worse than ever before! All that gameplay was fake, the story was fake, the choices we were told we could make were also fake. We got a piss poor single player campaign and a slightly superior multiplayer campaign compared 4. It was still bad, but it was enough to make many people believe Halo 5 was actually heading in the right direction. Little did they know they only thought that because Halo 4 fucked up the franchise so badly anything else seemed better in comparison. Halo 5 was a Titanfall Call of Duty hybrid with tacked on single player. A single player mind you, where you play as Master Chief only 5% of the time.

Now they are doing it again, do you actually believe everything they have been showing us about Halo Infinite? You think all of it is actually going to be in the game? Do you think that's how the game is going to play? They got you good. You gave 343 one more chance to kill off the franchise for good. If you guys weren't so indoctrinated we could have gotten Microsoft to shutter 343idiots in 2015, but you fell for Halo 5 and now you are falling for their Infinite marketing.

When Halo Infinite inevitably turns out to be a disgrace, what's left for Halo? I like the Xbox One, it has some of the top games this generation, but I barely mention Halo and there's a reason for that, 343 is a shitfire and needs to be extinguished.

But fine, allow 343 to convince you Halo is coming back by making a phony cross-gen game called Infinite, in collaboration with the studio that brought us Kinect National Geographic?

220px-Kinect_Nat_Geo_TV_cover.png

By partnering with this studio for Infinite, you think Halo is back? A studio that hasn't yet produced a real game? You all have doomed yourselves, there is no possible way this can workout. 343 couldn't put out a simple collection with 3 competent studios, and you think that having them partner with a nobody studio is going to change things for the better?

I guess it's too late now, RIP Halo. At least we still have Gears.
How old are you?

SquillieDee

Your comparing a graphics revolution, 2d-3d and less powerful machine to more powerful machine, halo was still in 3d on the xbox it is still on 3d machines on xbox one today and will be tomorrow and itll still be shitter than the first 2 not mario,as mario nintendo games are as childish as theyve always been and even when nintendo of america tried to mature the brand nintendo japan stopped them. Lesson is stick to the basics.

I would argue that the Mario games have changed more than just 2d to 3d, but we can agree to disagree on that. As far as Halo is concerned, you really think that it has changed THAT much??!! I've played all of them, the biggest difference is more mobility, new enemies, and a few new modes, the games haven't made a complete 180 at all...

-Arcadia-

Banned
They even screwed up what you call the one good game. The way the introduction to the Flood is completely ruined, really is quite something.

diffusionx

Gold Member
343 seems to lack the visionary employees that push a game from competent to great. All the budget and dev time in the world can't make up for the special individuals who are able to push greatness.

343 was faced with an impossible task. Build a team from scratch to keep one of the most successful and beloved franchises in gaming - yea good luck. I think anything they were going to do outside of making Halo 3 over and over would get blasted, just because it's them doing it. That said, they've had too many own goals to not be concerned. Like when the guy at 343 said that people didn't like Halo 5's story because Master Chief wasn't in it enough -like the guy saying it doesn't realize ODST and Reach exist and are beloved, and Halo 2 has the Arbiter. People didn't like 5's story because it was garbage, not because you didn't play as Chief. Or when Bonnie Ross just says "ahh with Halo 4 we got SP right and MP wrong, with Halo 5 we got SP wrong and MP right, so for 6 we'll get both right." If she thinks the problem with 5's SP was the lack of Chief, then that's a big red flag.

And of course MCC was an abomination (although 2 Anniversary was awesome IMO, far better than CEA). It's great now, but how could anyone who loves Halo think that was acceptable at launch? Etc.

I would argue that the Mario games have changed more than just 2d to 3d, but we can agree to disagree on that. As far as Halo is concerned, you really think that it has changed THAT much??!! I've played all of them, the biggest difference is more mobility, new enemies, and a few new modes, the games haven't made a complete 180 at all...
Marios core remained the same a childish game and only got better with age most nintendo games are. On the other hand halo hasnt got better with age graphics wise its being toppled by other titles despite having millions of dollars more investment than others, cod, doom eternal looks miles better than halo 5 despite all running at 60 fps,

Lastly they scrapped all the fun and wow factor halo classic had the old games even had a phenomenal ai

Theyve simply lost the plot halo has missed its substance look at sony once you see a new god of war trailer alll the goosebumps start boiling cause you know ur in for a teeat where as halo just sounds like any other space game nowadays.

...definitely do not want to see them lose the modern things that they added to Halo 5.

I always thought Halo had more in common with Doom and classic shooters than Titan Fall or COD. It never needed those mechanics. There's nothing innately "modern" about thrusting, groundpound, sprinting, and the like. It's simply a style of design. It compromised the integrity of what already worked brilliantly.

I get that this discussion is always talking past one another in opinions, but even the originally devs have shared that these mechanics were never intended for Halo and doesn't work well within it's intended framework. For example, they experimented with Sprint in Halo 2 and left it out.

I'm excited either way to see the improvements to either Halo 5's vision or returning to it's original design philosophy. I will concede by saying the abilities were fun in campaign.

Last edited:

VAL0R

Banned
If Halo Infinite isn't up to snuff the entire high level studio management needs to be replaced. 3 strikes and you're out.

diffusionx

Gold Member
If Halo Infinite isn't up to snuff the entire high level studio management needs to be replaced. 3 strikes and you're out.

If Halo Infinite isn't up to snuff the series is good as dead. They might as well just close up shop and revisit in a decade, keeping a few people around to maintain MCC.

SquillieDee

Marios core remained the same a childish game and only got better with age most nintendo games are. On the other hand halo hasnt got better with age graphics wise its being toppled by other titles despite having millions of dollars more investment than others, cod, doom eternal looks miles better than halo 5 despite all running at 60 fps,

Lastly they scrapped all the fun and wow factor halo classic had the old games even had a phenomenal ai

Theyve simply lost the plot halo has missed its substance look at sony once you see a new god of war trailer alll the goosebumps start boiling cause you know ur in for a teeat where as halo just sounds like any other space game nowadays.

So you really trying to tell me that these 2 things look the same?? If so, you need your eyes checked. Why are you comparing a game that came out in 2015 to a game that came out last year and a game that hasnt been released yet?? I have no clue why your talking about GOW...
images
OIP.R5_BCwVEolqlN8XQ4kFbEAHaEK

GameOfPixelsX

Neo Member
That's because it is indeed trash.

Press X to survive- What are you referring to?

Endless needless animations- You mean assassination. Not required and as a result does not impact play.

Aim assist more cancerous than Halo 2- No issues here.

Sprint- I think it is logical and easily subverted.

Gigantic maps- so you want small corridor shooters?

clamber trash- lost on this one again.

etc etc etc.

See inline clarification above.

Last edited:

SquillieDee

I always thought Halo had more in common with Doom and classic shooters than Titan Fall or COD. It never needed those mechanics. There's nothing innately "modern" about thrusting, groundpound, sprinting, and the like. It's simply a style of design. It compromised the integrity of what already worked brilliantly.

I get that this discussion is always talking past one another in opinions, but even the originally devs have shared that these mechanics were never intended for Halo and doesn't work well within it's intended framework. For example, they experimented with Sprint in Halo 2 and left it out.

I'm excited either way to see the improvements to either Halo 5's vision or returning to it's original design philosophy. I will concede by saying the abilities were fun in campaign.

This is the most reasonable response I have seen. I get that Halo felt different, but I personally liked how it has evolved...

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Honestly killing Prometheans just isn't the same like we did against the Covenant or the Flood. But one thing I do like about those are their weapons.. pretty neat how they look and sound. Especially Halo 4s Suppressor.
Yes, they look cool. But they don't add anything new. They are just reskins for existing guns.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
This is the most reasonable response I have seen. I get that Halo felt different, but I personally liked how it has evolved...
I have to agree with you but I see it from both ends. The things they have added has made it a more fun experience for me because it forces the player to do more and have to juggle more plates. Where as in Halo 2 and 3 it wasn't the case. BR dancing in Halo 2 drove me fucking nuts because people there wasn't a ton of skill involved and on a lot of maps it was more point and shoot and as long as you were competent you would get the kill.

I understand that some people like that style more but I felt like the weapons and universe of Halo always wanted be more which is why I liked all the changes in 5. It feels much more unique and I feel more like a super soldier which is alwaays what I thought the point was.

SquillieDee

I have to agree with you but I see it from both ends. The things they have added has made it a more fun experience for me because it forces the player to do more and have to juggle more plates. Where as in Halo 2 and 3 it wasn't the case. BR dancing in Halo 2 drove me fucking nuts because people there wasn't a ton of skill involved and on a lot of maps it was more point and shoot and as long as you were competent you would get the kill.

I understand that some people like that style more but I felt like the weapons and universe of Halo always wanted be more which is why I liked all the changes in 5. It feels much more unique and I feel more like a super soldier which is alwaays what I thought the point was.

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who enjoys the changes in Halo 5. Sometimes things need a refresh, that was the case with Halo 5 imo, as I said to someone earlier in the thread, hopefully Infinite can find a good balance between new and old and please both sides, somehow, even though thats damn near impossible.

So you really trying to tell me that these 2 things look the same?? If so, you need your eyes checked. Why are you comparing a game that came out in 2015 to a game that came out last year and a game that hasnt been released yet?? I have no clue why your talking about GOW...
images
OIP.R5_BCwVEolqlN8XQ4kFbEAHaEK
Halo 4 was graphically good but halo 5 wasnt and classic halo was more fun to play than halo 4 tge ai was even better on classic halo, classic halo was an all round better game than halo 4,

Killzone shadowfall came out with the ps4 earlier than halo 5 and still looked better, halo 5 coming out at 2015 is no excuse, its sinply a bad losers excuse..

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who enjoys the changes in Halo 5. Sometimes things need a refresh, that was the case with Halo 5 imo, as I said to someone earlier in the thread, hopefully Infinite can find a good balance between new and old and please both sides, somehow, even though thats damn near impossible.
I think theres a case to be made from either side. Whenever you change something iconic like Halo 2 you are bound to piss someone off. I get it but we are in a rare scene where due to the MCC, and it finally working correctly, whatever halo game you want to play is available. But the franchise has historically always made large changes from game to game but 5 was the first time they went deep into the actual character movement other than a sprint.

3 had a big emphasis on equipment which was new for the series.
4 has the big emphasis on ordinances which messed with the map flow. Personally I hated this.
5 focused on the spartan movement itself.

SquillieDee

I think theres a case to be made from either side. Whenever you change something iconic like Halo 2 you are bound to piss someone off. I get it but we are in a rare scene where due to the MCC, and it finally working correctly, whatever halo game you want to play is available. But the franchise has historically always made large changes from game to game but 5 was the first time they went deep into the actual character movement other than a sprint.

3 had a big emphasis on equipment which was new for the series.
4 has the big emphasis on ordinances which messed with the map flow. Personally I hated this.
5 focused on the spartan movement itself.

Well said.. I have a great idea, can they just make Infinite have 2 separate modes?? have 1 mode with all of the new spartan abilities etc, and have another mode where all of that stuff is turned off. Same maps, same weapons, same vehicles, just 2 different play styles. I don't know how hard it would be to implement something like that, but it sure seems like it would solve a lot of problems.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Well said.. I have a great idea, can they just make Infinite have 2 separate modes?? have 1 mode with all of the new spartan abilities etc, and have another mode where all of that stuff is turned off. Same maps, same weapons, same vehicles, just 2 different play styles. I don't know how hard it would be to implement something like that, but it sure seems like it would solve a lot of problems.
I think that would depend on the size of the player base. Titanfall did a pilots only mode and it was popular but it also divided the audience.

If Halo 5 had never had the 5 in it it would have been considered a great game like odst or reach. The story is bad but the level design is still top notch better than most fps games out there. Beating the game solo Legendary was ot easy epecially when you fight the boss that splits into 3.
The difficulty isn't the problem, it plays nothing like a Halo game on legendary. I'm convinced the people that keep defending the campaign's gameplay completely forgot how the old games played or didnt even play them.

they did a lot right in halo 5. For one the movement still is better than almost every shooter out there. Playing halo 1-3 seems like you are moving in molasses. Guns and weapons were done best in halo 5 also

OP sounds like a very angry person. Calling them 343idiots is super disrespectful and over the top. 5 was much better than 4, and infinite will come to full form.

SquillieDee

Halo 5 multiplayer was trash af and one the worst Halo online.

Big LOL when i read "Halo 5 MP is godlike amazing" ...

Same trash as Halo 4 or even worse.

Just pretend you are just a 2000's kid that just acting fake just because you want a sprint Halo again.

Halo 5 multiplayer was pure vomit, ain't nobody want that trash and bland dead game again.

So bad.

Im 38, Halo 5 MP is fantastic... How many hours did you play, just curious??

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Halo 5 multiplayer was trash af and one the worst Halo online.

Big LOL when i read "Halo 5 MP is godlike amazing" ...

Same trash as Halo 4 or even worse.

Just pretend you are just a 2000's kid that just acting fake just because you want a sprint Halo again.

Halo 5 multiplayer was pure vomit, ain't nobody want that trash and bland dead game again.

So bad.
Are you going to actually have an argument or just keep saying its trash over and over.

edited for spelling

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
The difficulty isn't the problem, it plays nothing like a Halo game on legendary. I'm convinced the people that keep defending the campaign's gameplay completely forgot how the old games played or didnt even play them.

Loved Halo 1-3, Reach. Halo 4 was decent. Halo 5 was absolute trash (campaign anyway, don't really do MP). Forced shitty AI teammates destroyed any sense of singleplayer dynamic, as encounter design was now continually fucked by dumb shit AI teammates that nobody gave a fuck about in the first place and were only there in the hopes that the option for 4 player co-op would help the game sell better. The campaign tossed the single player focus in the trash bin. If Infinite is the same I'll be just as salty.

I want Halo to suceed. It's the only sci-fi franchise I care about right now but ffs please give us some better, more coherent stories. I'd like something focusing on the Precursors and going full crazy. Forerunner stuff is cool in the novels but kinda dull in-game.

I'm tired of Cortana too. No more Cortana crap. She was the cool sexy AI for a few games but lost steam during 4. This may be the one case 'woke' culture and metoo era will be a benefit - no more sexy Cortana meaning no more Cortana period.

I want a badass Master Chief kicking ass. I want some new race or species and enemies. I want big enemies like some kind of crazy Flood form or a Scarab type of vehicle. I remember how blown away I was fighting Scarabs in the original trilogy. Some new vehicles would be cool too.

Halo is a great series. I love the lore even under 343i. Let's make use of that lore, yo. Precursor stuff is pretty awesome so let's have some kind of Precursor artifact or something. They became the Flood. They're Lovecraftian and I want more in-game.

Bring out new races. We live in a woke era but 343i not being inclusive enough leaving out potentially cool new alien species. Represent them. We know there's other aliens out there like that crashed ship on one of the installations.

I dunno I just want different now. If it's going to be sort of a soft in-continuity reboot, do something fresh.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I don’t see how people could give Voost Kain a chance with this thread after Stadia. He has made no tolerable thread in his entire existence.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I don’t see how people could give Voost Kain a chance with this thread after Stadia. He has made no tolerable thread in his entire existence.
i have the conspiracy theory its Evilore making crazy threads for dat ad revenue.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Could 343 make other games? Will ms let them?
I always figured Microsoft formed 343 Industries to be a dedicated "Halo studio" after Bungie moved on from Halo. I mean the name sake of the studio is literally named after a character in the Halo series,
So I'd imagine the likelihood of them ever working on other IPs is slim. In my opinion, there's no faster way to burn out a studio's creativity than shackling them to work on a single IP indefinitely.

I certainly would be interested in seeing what they can do with an original IP, I think it could even help them bring a more inspired approach to Halo.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I think this is why we have game designers. They're the ones who should be making those decisions. If they can't figure out if all that stuff makes the game better then they are not doing their job.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

They even screwed up what you call the one good game. The way the introduction to the Flood is completely ruined, really is quite something.

To be fair, the original PC port of Halo CE was all Gearbox and Bungie/Microsoft Game Studios. 343 wasn't even around then. While the campaign was lacking the OG XB hardware specific bump mapping and lighting sfx, the multiplayer was still fun though and I enjoyed the new maps Gearbox/Bungie added to PC. I played Danger Canyon (Halo CE PC specific map) on MCC the other day in a BTB CTF match and had a blast.

I actually don't agree with the OP about Halo CE Anniversary. I thought Halo CE Anniversary was on the garbage side. The reskins were ugly and layered over the old models, so everybody looks fat and like a bunch of couch potatoes, instead of military personnel. All the reskins over the old models fuck up the geometry as well. And since they didn't add the multiplayer from the PC version, they should have ported the OG XB version. For MCC though, I'm glad they brought the PC version over, as it brought all the XB and PC multiplayer maps over, even if they do lack that OG XB eye candy and look like a washed out PS2 game. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Now in the case of Halo 2 Anniversary, that remaster is ace and the cutscenes are top tier. The remastered multiplayer maps and gameplay are amazing as well. Too bad Halo 2 Anniversary was trapped in the clusterfuck of the MCC launch. To me, Halo 2 Anniversary, the overall package of Halo 4 and 4v4 in Halo 5 are 343i's best work to date.

The salt and jealousy in here among the PlayStation fanboys is thick. While 343 isn't the best, Halo 5 still sold north of 5 million units and with PC and XB1 combined, MCC will probably reach north of 5 million as well. While not Bungie level or Halo 4 level of mega-hit, still really solid numbers. PlayStation fanboys are legit shook that Killzone is dead and Series X launches with Halo Infinite. :messenger_winking:

Banned

first of all the version here is based on the PC version by Gearbox, so they were the original guys who fucked it up ok.
then the remaster was made by Saber Interactive, not 343i...
and the old graphics mode feature was most likely not planned from the beginning, so this whole mode is not even the star of the show. Saber interactive remade all the graphics (which many also don't like aesthetically because it took too many freedoms and changed the look too much... I also don't like it that much but it's better than Halo 5's style)

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
first of all the version here is based on the PC version by Gearbox, so they were the original guys who fucked it up ok.
then the remaster was made by Saber Interactive, not 343i...
and the old graphics mode feature was most likely not planned from the beginning, so this whole mode is not even the star of the show. Saber interactive remade all the graphics (which many also don't like aesthetically because it took too many freedoms and changed the look too much... I also don't like it a lot but it's better than Halo 5's style)

It’s amazing how people can ignore the things right in front of them to construct the narrative they prefer.

Why is it based on the PC version? Who chose and picked Saber Interactive, worked alongside them, and had final approval?

Likewise, who was supervising the whole project and let the redone visuals be wildly inaccurate to the original in some cases, and destroyed the tension and build-up of the best twist of the game? (I didn’t supply it, but you can easily find that video elsewhere)

mF2bHyp.png

Last edited:

Banned
It’s amazing how people can ignore the things right in front of them to construct the narrative they prefer.

Why is it based on the PC version? Who chose and picked Saber Interactive, worked alongside them, and had final approval?

Likewise, who was supervising the whole project and let the redone visuals be wildly inaccurate to the original in some cases, and destroyed the tension and build-up of the best twist of the game? (I didn’t supply it, but you can easily find that video elsewhere)

mF2bHyp.png

Bungie is also unfit for Halo it seems then....

Who chose and picked Gearbox, worked alongside them, and had final approval?

bungie.jpg

Last edited:
I could never possibly take anything you say seriously after this idiotic disaster...

-Arcadia-

Banned
Bungie is also unfit for Halo it seems then....

Who chose and picked Gearbox, worked alongside them, and had final approval?

bungie.jpg

You mean Microsoft Game Studios.

But let’s follow your ‘logic’. Let’s say Bungie was totally in charge of the port (they weren’t).

They made five great to stellar Halo games. A bad port would be an abberation for them.

343 on the other hand has made nothing but disappointments and outright abominations. This port is perfectly in character for them.

Which highlights the stupidity of even making the comparison in the first place.

Enjoy Infinite when it probably fucks up Halo even more.

Last edited:

Banned
You mean Microsoft Game Studios.

But let’s follow your ‘logic’. Let’s say Bungie was totally in charge of the port (they weren’t).

They made five great to stellar Halo games. A bad port would be an abberation for them.

343 on the other hand has made nothing but disappointments and outright abominations. This port is perfectly in character for them.

Which highlights the stupidity of even making the comparison in the first place.

Enjoy Infinite when it probably fucks up Halo even more.

the Halo 2 port was also a complete shitshow, no coop for one... same in the first one.
Halo with no coop is not Halo, period

you assume that 343i was super involved with the port, so I just did the same and assumed Bungie was totally cool with the ports of Halo 1 and 2 on PC. (btw. apparently Bungie worked closely with the studio who ported the second one and were cool with not having coop it seems)

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
the Halo 2 port was also a complete shitshow, no coop for one... same in the first one.
Halo with no coop is not Halo, period

you assume that 343i was super involved with the port, so I just did the same and assumed Bungie was totally cool with the ports of Halo 1 and 2 on PC. (btw. apparently Bungie worked closely with the studio who ported the second one and were cool with not having coop it seems)

Nothing is assumed. Go do your research before talking with authority about things you know nothing about. Read up on 343, how they control, oversee, and shape the brand, and check out old interviews about their role in the game.

Or keep being a retard. One of those things. That’s the end of your interaction with me for today.

Banned
Nothing is assumed. Go do your research before talking with authority about things you know nothing about. Read up on 343, how they control, oversee, and shape the brand, and check out old interviews about their role in the game.

Or keep being a retard. One of those things. That’s the end of your interaction with me for today.

And as I said, Bungie worked closely with the team that did the Halo 2 PC port... which was also pretty bad and was missing one of the core features of the series: COOP

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member

Points can be made without the personal insults. Dial that back, thank you.

Top Bottom