• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sketchy twitter rumor- Halo no longer considered a top flagship at Xbox, next Halo game has half the budget of Infinite, will determine fate of series

Status
Not open for further replies.

graywolf323

Imagine not being able to manage your own cornerstone flagship IP properly and expecting me to have faith in you managing the countless other IP you buy :messenger_tears_of_joy:

They will mismanage all their studios into the ground. I have zero faith in their leadersip.
yep, that Jez Corden tweet was hilarious because it’s like these are the same people that drove Halo into the ground Jez… they didn’t squander it, they ruined it and why should we trust that same management to not continue to fuck up?

Bry0

Hailey needs therapy, I would not put any stock into what this account says. They really need to touch grass.

Matsuchezz

Mad Season 3 GIF by Rick and Morty
'
Let them be creative and create a new IP.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It's probably the start of projects with smaller budgets. Small projects for Gamepass, I can't see any unannounced blockbuster budgets in their future (bar COD should they get ABK)

A.Romero

If Halo was just a game I'd be more prone to believe it but it is a full IP with a TV show, novels and don't know what else.

They won't waste it.

I just don't get why infinite was so expensive to make. It wasn't extraordinary in any way. They need to slim things down in the campaign and focus on deep linearity. People still like that.. and prefer it honestly

Bry0

I just don't get why infinite was so expensive to make. It wasn't extraordinary in any way. They need to slim things down in the campaign and focus on deep linearity. People still like that.. and prefer it honestly
Yeah sandbox AOTCR type levels is fine. No need for open world. Don’t even see the need for the gaas approach either. Campaign multiplayer forge with a base set of cosmetics and milk some battle passes for 3-4 years and then make a new game. Hunger for maximum ROI seems to render this approach impossible for Microsoft or something

LordOfChaos

A whole engine for one and then a bunch of reboots I guess

Also the gross mismanagement

A game with half the budget could certainly be better than Infinite, especially without new engine development costs, but, I fear a favorite old gaming franchise is just going to be mismanaged for the foreseeable future

havoc00

I think Gears needs a serious reboot too gameplay wise, they are just stale at this point imo, I really tried to enjoy 5 for what it was but the gameplay loop just bored me to tears

LordOfChaos

I think Gears needs a serious reboot too gameplay wise, they are just stale at this point imo, I really tried to enjoy 5 for what it was but the gameplay loop just bored me to tears

I thought the Gears gameplay was still fine but it's the increasing amount of crap they put in between it that's annoying, the open world parts with the skiff I thought added nothing and often had missions with unclear signposting, who ever wants to hack a tower etc

It also got a bit glitchy as soon as you hit the red sand parts

havoc00

I thought the Gears gameplay was still fine but it's the increasing amount of crap they put in between it that's annoying, the open world parts with the skiff I thought added nothing and often had missions with unclear signposting, who ever wants to hack a tower etc

It also got a bit glitchy as soon as you hit the red sand parts

The MP too, felt stale to me dunno if its me or what but I just felt very meh when playing, at least halo to me core mp gameplay loop is fun

RCU005

These companies need to look at Nintendo and ask themselves why they can’t do the same shit with their franchise. It’s frankly embarrassing.

While Nintendo does the same franchises over and over, no one can deny that they put so much love and effort to their flagship IPs.

There are some IPs that people would want Nitenso consider them flagship like Metroid, Star Fox, etc. but Mario 3D, Zelda 3D, Mario Kart, etc are games that they do with a lot of care. They always release very polished and take their time to do them right.

Sony also have put a lot of love and care to many of their franchises. The difference is that some of their flagships have changed with time. Like ok PS3 was Uncharted but changed to TLoU.

Microsoft since the 360 have considered any game a game. Doesn’t matter the budget, style or genre. They have mostly done shooters and focused more on third parties. Now that they own a shitload of studios and IPs they will need to get good management to make their games. They are in an incredible position but like many have said, they have had bad leadership for so many years: Phil Spencer included.

A whole engine for one and then a bunch of reboots I guess

Also the gross mismanagement

A game with half the budget could certainly be better than Infinite, especially without new engine development costs, but, I fear a favorite old gaming franchise is just going to be mismanaged for the foreseeable future
That's what I'm saying. I've seen way more deep games made for significantly less money. Strikes me as odd. Mismanagement definitely seems to be a part of it.

Hugare

Reminds me of Ai generated images.

Even with 250 millions, a good halo can still be easily created. If someone else does it. 343 can probably no longer be saved.
250 Mln is more than Horizon and TLOU Part II budget

It's more than fine

Not using the Slipspace engine for the next one will already be a huge start

Ribi

I maan based on the games that have came out after 3? Ye, halo pretty mid now. What's the player base even?

Only recent halo thing that was great was MCC and that's because it included the best halos

Last edited:

DAHGAMING

Gold Member
Most depressing thing. Give a good franchise to a bunch of incompetentes to destroy.

People used to buy Xbox because of this IP.

Thats me, I played Halo CE in a shop and knew I had to have Halo. Saved £10 a week from my paper round untill I had enough to buy xbox and the game. Its a special series to me for lots of reasons and its sad that the end of Halo is probably not far away.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Well yeah.
infinite sucked ass. It was 3 semi big levels and then 5 hours of corridors. Every boss was the same angry monke guy.
Some of the cutscenes looked great and the little fairy was cute af but that's about it

It would be weird to stop a franchise cause its not flagship, it can just be a game you release. Not every game is flagship for anybody. Although I dont see them actually stopping releases regardless.

Spyxos

Gold Member
250 Mln is more than Horizon and TLOU Part II budget

It's more than fine

Not using the Slipspace engine for the next one will already be a huge start
These are both single player games only. With the huge budget. Halo needs both sp and mp. But yes, I think 250 million should be more than enough for Halo.

Last edited:

BosmerCulter

Neo Member
Oh fuck, AGAIN her ?

Please, don't use this AW as credible source. She (and it's even probably not a woman) is well know in the halo community for having a weird obsession with 343i and Halo.

She claimed to be a former dev from Bungie on Halo 2 but there is no single proof, she create a strange story of harassement by Franck O'Connor and make multiples "leaks" that being proven false.

Urban

MS lost 2-3 gamer "generations" because todays kids dont give a fuck about Halo, like we did back in the days.
The Franchise is dead if you talk about gamers from 12-18

Barakov

Gold Member

I don't know this person and if they've had good intel before, and I won't say believe it or not. I did fear something like this being true though, the mismanagement of Halo leading to low interest and having it put on the backburner with no satisfying ending to the Master Chief story or any of the many things they've set up over the years, the Precursors, if the Timeless had any relation to them, etc etc. Infinite was yet another game that ditched the last one's plot for something new, but the end of it was imo an interesting enough launching point for more content. Wonder if we'll even ever get more Infinite content, or if it's all on a next game now and any "10 year game" plans are canned as well.

Maybe they should sell it to Sony.

Licking Fingers Nick Scarpino GIF by Kinda Funny

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Halo Infinite was anything but "hands off". Hell, if you describe it by its components its basically a set of marketing bulletpoints for what should be popular and profitable.

yurinka

I call this bullshit. The budget of Halo Infinite was dumb specially consider what they released, so makes sense to fire half of the team and replace it with talented and experienced individuals plus getting help from other teams like Id Soft, and spending less money in the next project.

Sure, other MS games will give them more money, specially if they finally are able to acquire ABK. But unless they plan to kill the Xbox console soon (like not releasing a Series successor) Halo should continue being one of the flagship and iconic MS gaming IPs forever.

Also, instead of rushing and announcing games witth CG teasers when the game isn't even in preproduction and won't be released like 7 years in the future, they should take their time and don't announce anything until they have a very convincing vertical slice to show and prove the game rocks, and having the game very close to reaching alpha.

Last edited:

the_master

People used to buy PlayStation consoles for Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Mascots change all the time. Except for Nintendo...their IPs never die.
Nobody bought a Playstation for those mediocre platformers!

Playstation was makink millions way before thise games. Halo defined the Xbox and every other FPS and many action games that came after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom