• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is playing Halo Infinite on Steam as player numbers drop to 2% of launch peak

Three

Content should generally cost money. Dev's should be paid more. And yes, cosmetics are content. It's art that artists have to make and model, designers and devs have to implement, and that UI/UX has to present to the user in cohesive ways. The game itself is free.
The colour red shouldn't cost money though. Some of the things they charge for are lazy ass 'content'. Not surprised you're reposting that tweet everywhere though.

Vox Machina

Banned
Rough launch? It had a rough fucking year

Many of the basic features that shouldve been in at launch (like forge, level selection, CO-OP) we had to wait for until season 3 (one full year after release)

And thats not even getting in the game design issues like desync or lack of collision or battlepass implementation (specifically how it feels like 70% of each battle pass is just swaps and xp boosts)

I wont say it hasnt improved at all, but honestly it went from straight-up shit to mediocre, not exactly a big jump.

Yeah I'm glad they had a major restructuring and have new leadership at the top. The game is legitimately great now, but yeah, was rough during the launch year, for sure.

The colour red shouldn't cost money though. Some of the things they charge for are lazy ass 'content'. Not surprised you're reposting that tweet everywhere though.

All basic colors are now free for all the different Armor Cores, and yeah I'll post a Halo-related tweet in a Halo thread you mental midget.

Codes 208

Yup, it was a bad sign when it was confirmed colors were being changed to pallets and they invented several cores just so you can unlock/buy the same shade of red over and over again.

Cross-core only now being implemented doesnt excuse their shit whale pandering scheme

I continue to get games fairly quickly although I don't play in ranked. Halo Infinite and even the MCC collection continues to be supported as they are releasing content at a better pace now.
There's even a classic league that people are asking to be added to the playlist using Forge maps of classic maps.

For sure they had a rough start with probably the wrong priorities, but they've addressed a lot of the concerns and continue to make the game better. As someone said above with probably the best model for a GAAS in the industry.

DosGamer

Serious question... given how big the Halo franchise is... Do you think this game has ended up as one of the biggest flops of this generation?

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I’m sure the game is in a better state now but it’s all too little too late. It’s dead.

It's never too late for multiplayer games. This ain't like single player.

If the changes they made were legit (they're not) players would come back in a heartbeat. Waaaay too many examples of multiplayer games coming back from the dead for people to believe that.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
It's never too late for multiplayer games. This ain't like single player.

If the changes they made were legit (they're not) players would come back in a heartbeat. Waaaay too many examples of multiplayer games coming back from the dead for people to believe that.

And probably even more examples of multiplier games that failed once and never recovered. I can only speak for myself but I've put 180+ hours in the first couple of months and I know I'm not coming back. To me, it's dead.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
And probably even more examples of multiplier games that failed once and never recovered. I can only speak for myself but I've put 180+ hours in the first couple of months and I know I'm not coming back. To me, it's dead.

The multiplayer games that never recover are games that never fixed their fatal flaw. The games that do, see a resurgence in players. Halo Infinite multiplayer is still a bad multiplayer game. It's still in a bad state because the Live Service portion of the game was never the issue. The core gameplay loop has always been the issue.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The multiplayer games that never recover are games that never fixed their fatal flaw. The games that do, see a resurgence in players. Halo Infinite multiplayer is still a bad multiplayer game. It's still in a bad state because the Live Service portion of the game was never the issue. The core gameplay loop has always been the issue.

I loved the core gameplay loop. My problem was the lack of content. There was absolutely nothing for a very long time.

I had a blast playing Infinite, even with all the issues. I thought the campaign was fun enough. The biggest turnoff for me was 343's failure to inject new life into the game by way of new maps. 343 spent wayyyy too much time working on mostly uninteresting seasonal content while starving the majority of the player base with no new maps and a lack of enjoyable playlists. That's a big fail. Forge it came out so late a lot of people had already stopped playing. In hindsight I'm really bummed that 343 spent so much time trying to create a new engine. They should have gone with unreal and never looked back. Such a waste.

clarky

Gold Member
I had a blast playing Infinite, even with all the issues. I thought the campaign was fun enough. The biggest turnoff for me was 343's failure to inject new life into the game by way of new maps. 343 spent wayyyy too much time working on mostly uninteresting seasonal content while starving the majority of the player base with no new maps and a lack of enjoyable playlists. That's a big fail. Forge it came out so late a lot of people had already stopped playing. In hindsight I'm really bummed that 343 spent so much time trying to create a new engine. They should have gone with unreal and never looked back. Such a waste.
Just about where im at. Really enjoyed my time with it regardless but its over for me i think.

Fired it up for the first time in ages a few weeks ago and ranked is still largely the same as it was at launch with a couple of extra maps.

Vox Machina

Banned

Considering they fired the guy that lead the engine overhaul shortly after launch I think 343i would agree with you, haha. Rumor is they're switching to Unreal for future releases.

Considering they fired the guy that lead the engine overhaul shortly after launch I think 343i would agree with you, haha. Rumor is they're switching to Unreal for future releases.
I wonder if that would break Forge with a new engine or can the work they've already done be easily ported.
I usually do my weeklies in a sitting or two unless the weekly reward is bad. Right now there is an event going on so I will probably jump in today or tomorrow to get it done.

SHA

Everyone knows the highs and lows of the played games on steam, especially the highs, the highs usually never change, there's no breaf explanation for that and why should be?

Vox Machina

Banned
I wonder if that would break Forge with a new engine or can the work they've already done be easily ported.
I usually do my weeklies in a sitting or two unless the weekly reward is bad. Right now there is an event going on so I will probably jump in today or tomorrow to get it done.

I'm no game dev. but from what I gather usually all the art and modeling that goes into making, say, a helmet can be ported across engines rather easily. The same would apply to all of the items/props/fabs that are offered in Forge. Porting Forge itself would probably be a more intense undertaking, but the rumor is that Epic engineers are embedded in the new team and UEFN exists so it's not like a customer-facing "Forge-like" system is impossible in Unreal.

I wouldn't expect Infinite Forged maps to be out-of-the-box compatible with Halo v.Next but hopefully Forgers can port them over easily enough.

Everyone knows the highs and lows of the played games on steam, especially the highs, the highs usually never change, there's no breaf explanation for that and why should be?

Lots of people try games out at launch, end up not liking them and never playing them again. Doubly so for F2P games because the barrier to entry for trying it is essentially nothing. So games usually peak at launch and then settle into their long-term playerbase which is some subset of all the players who ever played the game.

Last edited:

Phase

Serious question... given how big the Halo franchise is... Do you think this game has ended up as one of the biggest flops of this generation?
343 has been the flop. They belly flopped all of their releases and tanked the Halo name. I wouldn't consider Infinite any more of a flop than Halo 5, or 4, or MCC. All trash releases by a dev that doesn't understand what made Halo popular in the first place.

And it doesn't matter what they've done since release. They'll never untarnish the name at this point.

SkylineRKR

When I first played it, I loved it. The controls and mechanics felt very good. But the game falls apart once you traverse the completely uninteresting open world, there are only 2 or 3 things to do and the story missions feel completely isolated from the open world. I think you can't use the elite weapons you earned in them too. When you make a beeline for the story, you'd probably be done in 5 hours. Co-op wasn't there at launch either.

The open world made the game actually terrible for me, because it feels so boring and meaningless. I think what players wanted is a return to the original trilogy. Levels like Silent Cartographer, not open world but not completely linear either. I do think 343 nailed the gameplay, but the rest sucks.

So far I think its yes. Halo Infinite was meant to be the Series killer app during launch period, and then its been delayed by a full year and still came out incomplete and kind of shitty. This is not some third tier IP, but one of their biggest. Its like Sony first delaying, and then kind of completely botching a next-gen Uncharted game.

MiguelItUp

Most certainly. But not this game, 343 as a whole. It's as if each Halo game they made snuffed more life out of the IP. A bunch of people came back for Infinite, and then they failed again.

I'm by no means a gigantic Halo fan, but as a fan of arena shooters, Halo was always the AAA IP that was the closest to one. I played a ton of 3 and Reach multiplayer as a result. So when Infinite was going back to the IP's "roots" I was hyped. I actually played it quite a bit at first, the multiplayer I mean, never touched the campaign. But the XP grind was pretty bad, didn't really improve, and then after playing more and more the content felt shallow. It's a huge shame.

I feel like there's still potential, and with all the "phoenix rising from the ashes" scenarios we've seen in the past, we COULD see it here. But it all depends on how it's handled. I don't think it's too late. But it doesn't seem like it's getting better. At least not yet.

TransTrender

Gold Member

It seems like 343 and possibly other parts of Microsoft are run by a bunch of egotistical sociopaths who will do everything in their power to project whatever story it is they feel they need to sell to themselves and to upper management to justify whatever the fuck it is they did?

Also shocking that Bonnie Ross still has a job at Microsoft.

MiguelItUp

Since the higher up change this is pretty much fixed or seems to be going in the right direction, its easy to Level, Gain BP Levels, do content and more, games in a good state
Yeah I figured that stuff would be an easy fix. Really hope they're able to breath life back into it.

Mr.ODST

Yeah I figured that stuff would be an easy fix. Really hope they're able to breath life back into it.
Maps are being added often now, think they are taking highest rated in Forge and giving them endorsement and adding them to official map pools to fill out content before full official maps made by devs?

Good idea to reward plays who put time in

Maps are being added often now, think they are taking highest rated in Forge and giving them endorsement and adding them to official map pools to fill out content before full official maps made by devs?

Good idea to reward plays who put time in
Yea, been a steady addition of maps lately. New map from Reach added yesterday

They screwed up a lot with the idea of a halo as a service, with a bland open world and a campaign far from the quality of previous halos, which has discredited the game and thus affected its multiplayer. That without being totally bad, its maps are not so much fun and lack of inspiratioukdbn.

I'm not a Halo fan, but I believe they underestimated the competition.

We are not in 2003 anymore just bringing back a shell of a 20 years old multi-player don't and shouldn't work, nostalgia bait need to die, I hope those failures give studios some clue.

phant0m

343 has been the flop. They belly flopped all of their releases and tanked the Halo name. I wouldn't consider Infinite any more of a flop than Halo 5, or 4, or MCC. All trash releases by a dev that doesn't understand what made Halo popular in the first place.

And it doesn't matter what they've done since release. They'll never untarnish the name at this point.
Yup. Franchise is dead imo. Maybe they'll give it to someone else to try but I am guessing we will get 1 more game in the next 5-7 years and that will be it.

The "arena shooter with fixed weapon placements" genre is just dead as a whole tbh. The only thing that's kept playerbases in the PvP FPS space are Battle Royales, competitive round-based (Overwatch/R6 Siege/CSGO), and PvPvE shooters. Unfortunately Halo doesn't really fit into any of those. There's no lifecycle/economy. No heroes/classes, not enough weapon variety to make a BR interesting, and nothing to loot.

Just blasting people playing CTF or King of the Hill just doesn't keep people's attention anymore. There's so much competition; I stopped playing Infinite last year not because I didn't like it, but there was just SO much else to play that was more enticing that I had no time for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom