• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much will Starfield and the new games help Xbox?

How much help?

• A lot

Votes: 57 20.6%
  • middle

Votes: 49 17.7%
  • A little

Votes: 125 45.1%
  • shut up fatso

Votes: 46 16.6%

• Total voters

Fredrik

The OP was about Xbox, not PC. The game wont steer the ship, i think, and one of the reasons is the 30 fps only mode. Even xbox owners probably will prefer to play it on PC, for 60 fps as well as modding ofc.
After FF16 mediocre performance mode and now Starfield, i have to say i am disappointed again with the development decisions of the devs/publishers. 30 fps for an action game or an FPS shooter is just not acceptable anymore.
Devs should actually make games smaller, lighter and maybe with a tiny bit leas detail to lock them to 60.
Thats just my opinion though, and before you send me death threats remember: opinions may vary 😉
Lol no death threats from this direction, Starfield (and FF16) is a PC game for me for more reasons than the mods 😉 I just don’t think mainstream gamers care much about framerates, most probably don’t even know what the word means. The game will no doubt sell well and sell some extra consoles but I doubt it’ll be the system seller some think it’ll be, and I doubt it’ll be high up on sales lists since most will play it through Gamepass or digital. Gamepass could increase the word of mouth a lot though. It’ll be a big noisy release on the boards and on Youtube and Twitter etc.

NahaNago

Youv'e got a no idea from me so, shut up fatso. The game just doesn't appeal to me in that I find that it looks boring and it doesn't look that visually great. I know that their are fans of the spacefaring genre and Bethesda games but I don't know how big that is or how well this game has caught on from promotions. I really feel like it needed some extra hook to pull folks in. Either some small video game prologue or a some tv/movie to draw folks in or some genius marketing instrument. The game is suppose to have a 1,000 worlds. They could have just used one world as a demo or an intro they sold to get us interested in the video game world.

PeteBull

Most people seem to be playing FF XVI at 30 and doing just fine. I don’t think it’ll push a huge number of sales, but 30 fps isn’t why.
Its 3m copies out of around 40m playerbase, 3/40 is 7,5% of playerbase, its hardly "most people" .
Hell im FF series singleplayer fanatic, beaten and had fun doing it everything from ff4 to ff15(no ff11 and ff14 since those were mmos, and ofc no ff13 since it was terrible gameplay wise, so 0 interest), and i still am waiting either for pc port or ps5pr0 to get that solid 60fps and no 720p in motion(fsr only looks okish in stills, in motion its terrible especially if its fsr1 and its upscaling from native 720p).

SHA

Through the S, there are still who don't wanna mess it @ 1080p even though it's not their main console to play most of their games, cable tvs are making worse deals and people support more than one service with no complaints.

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
Its 3m copies out of around 40m playerbase, 3/40 is 7,5% of playerbase, its hardly "most people" .
[insert rant about graphics here]
Most people… out of those who are playing the game. The fastest-selling PS5 exclusive to date. I get that 30 fps bothers you, but it absolutely does not bother enough of the broader gaming demographic to make a substantial impact on sales in this context.

Depends on the quality of the actual game and story/combat and how the systems engage you and make you want to use them.

It looks nice and is ambitious, but that's no guarantee everything comes together well.

Anywho, it was the primary reason I bought an XSX.

Initially obviously it'll help. Starfield should be the beginning of a strong software push we've been waiting for since launch. The real question is how well can it play on that momentum to keep that excitement strong creating even better sales.

bbeach123

I predict starfield will lose around 10 milions sale(life time, maybe 2-3 milions launch lose) from playstation but xbox gain one or two milions console sale so its balance out .

Last edited:
Hard to say
I get the feeling that the people who are willing to buy the game already have a Xbox or PC to do so. The problem is that this feeling is based on 0 evidence.

If it is good it will definitely give Ms a chance to start to change people's perception about it's first party games.

A single good game alone won't save any console, but launching a series of good games at a reasonable pace may save the brand.

Just look at what Sony did with the PlayStation 3. The success of the PlayStation 4 can be attributed to the foundation they built. The Xbox One mismanagement was just a case of the enemy team committing seppuku before the match even star

Del_X

I say middle. It's trivial to pick up a Series S if they actually release AAA games of AAA-quality consistently. They've been aiming for 4 home runs a year and they will probably land at 3 or so consistently. Starting with Starfield.

Personally I will either have to buy a Series X to play it or build a new PC. That all depends on whether I start working again soon.
I think it will move consoles but it is a new IP that needs to prove itself.

Hard to say
I get the feeling that the people who are willing to buy the game already have a Xbox or PC to do so. The problem is that this feeling is based on 0 evidence.

If it is good it will definitely give Ms a chance to start to change people's perception about it's first party games.

A single good game alone won't save any console, but launching a series of good games at a reasonable pace may save the brand.

Just look at what Sony did with the PlayStation 3. The success of the PlayStation 4 can be attributed to the foundation they built. The Xbox One mismanagement was just a case of the enemy team committing seppuku before the match even star
That is true, initially.
But you are completely ignoring the factor where people whose friends have the XBox tell them how great the game is, and people who visit their friend's house and watch them play it and now wants to play it at home.
Of course, all this is contingent on the game being good. But if it is, a lot of people who weren't initially interested will become interested over time.

Spitfire098

Looks like the new indy ain't going to do to well at the box office. Burn stings a lot less now of the game being exclusive. For all the other stuff...🤷‍♂️

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Looks like the new indy ain't going to do to well at the box office. Burn stings a lot less now of the game being exclusive. For all the other stuff...🤷‍♂️
Starfield is going to be hard to judge "at the box office" because of Gamepass but a lot of people are going to play it

The question is for how long

If we're talking about HW sales, very little. Series is already on the decline this year, and MS is starting to raise the prices. A few good games will help give it a bump for a month or so, but it's going to be really hard to change that trajectory this late in the gen.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I was talking about the new indy film releasing this weekend. Not sure we're onto the same thing.
John Candy Reaction GIF

DaGwaphics

Starfield is probably the most hyped game of the gen so I expect massive sales on Steam, big uptake of the premium pack to play early by Gamepass subscribers and it will no doubt boost console sales with the new Series S being available.
So yeah it's going to be huge.

Agreed. Great software will always have impact.

Matsuchezz

One would expect all Nintendo fans already bought a Switch and here we are, that thing still selling like all the former must haves and wii-u ports needed the release of the latest banger to at last be really good enough to justify a purchase. It's actually quite illogical to me that any console, at least when supply and stock is just there, sells in very many waves, with certain games, and not just after release and when a hw revision allows a price cut- like most games do.

Customers wait for certain games and some wait for a library to build, so people are kinda always holding off. Also with Nintendo and Sony.

There are certainly some truly loyal MS fans, sticking around for every Halo, but MS needs to finally deliver their promises and once they get some constant good releases going the mind share should catch up and all the gamepass emphasis might not reach only deaf ears.
Nintendo does the unexpected, they sell under powered hw at a premium, I used to be a nintendo fan when i was younger, but their games do not cater to me anymore. So to me is baffling to watch that they sell gazillion pikmin games, or whatever other franchise they release and sells millions and millions of games, When they were aiming for state of the art graphics they struggled to sell that many copies. But they lowered their standards and they sell crap loads of copies.

What you mentioned is true, some people hold off, but not in the millions. I myself do not see the potential, but that is just me. Even Phil acknowledges that Starfield wont turn the tide. I guess we will see. Either way people will enjoy the game as there's seem to be people excited for the game.

Anyone with a mid tier pc and half a brain will play this fucking thing on pc.

Literally no one I know said they’re gonna buy an Xbox just to play Starfield.
not if pc performance sucks.

would make since for them to polish the hell out of the xbox launch version and leave the pc version a steaming turd.
then patch the pc version 6-12 months later.
360_F_293651706_yWPUuo6vbVXYIRaS6GDsGj5GIJOc0RYo.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member

would make since for them to polish the hell out of the xbox launch version and leave the pc version a steaming turd.

C'mon bruh. If I paid 70 bucks for the PC version and it runs like shit, the last, absolute LAST thing I will ever think is "hmmmmm maybe I should go to the store and pay 500 euros for an Xbox plus another 70 dollars for Starfield because then at least I get to play this piece of dogshit videogame at 30 fps".

No, I would ask for a Steam refund and send Bethesda a sternly worded e-mail that involves sucking my dick, and spend that 70 euros on drugs.

I'm going to space either way Bethesda, you fucks! It's up to you whether you're with me or not!

Three

It's more like the community will patch the PC version in 2 weeks and Bethesda wouldn't patch any version for 2 years.

Last edited:

Elitro

Xbox? Not much. Gamepass? Depends on the follow up games.
This gen i'm sticking with PC, next gen i would be tempted getting an Xbox if the hardware prices keep being ridiculous and if GP provides games that i like.

Havoc2049

I think the 1-2 punch of Starfield and Forza Motorsport this Fall will help move some consoles, sell some Game Pass subscriptions and help Microsoft gain some market share.

I also predict that Starfield will easily pass Forza Horizon 5 premium edition early access numbers of 1.2 million. I could see it hitting the 2 million+ mark.

AlexxKidd

Most people seem to be playing FF XVI at 30 and doing just fine. I don’t think it’ll push a huge number of sales, but 30 fps isn’t why.

You don't have any proof how "most" people are choosing to play it. But more importantly, unlike Starfield, with Final Fantasy XVI you don't have the option of where to play it.

BbMajor7th

Depends how long all this legal shit drags on. Even if Bethesda nail it, I don't know if it'll help with brand perception, the negative press they're getting over the ABK acquisition will overshadow things for a bit.

Shame for Bethesda really - the meta-narrative around the game and it's value to MS must be frustrating for the devs. Right now, it's being touted as a make or break moment for an embattled corporate brand rather than being a cool sci-fi adventure game.

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
You don't have any proof how "most" people are choosing to play it. But more importantly, unlike Starfield, with Final Fantasy XVI you don't have the option of where to play it.
No, I don’t have proof. That is true. Anecdotally though, people here seem to prefer the 30 so it seems a fair bet that most people willin general. At the very least, the lacklustre 60 fps mode doesn’t seem to have hurt sales.

As for the PC thing - anyone (or the vast majority at least) capable of playing Starfield on PC at 60 fps will be doing so, regardless of the performance on XSX. So, again, Starfield’s 30 fps mode will not affect sales.

TheUsual

Gold Member
If the game hits all the right spots and gets into the Zeitgeist like Skyrim, I think it can greatly help Xbox.

Solid marketing can't hurt either.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
What about

FORZA
HELLBLADE 2
FABLE
INDIANA JONES
CLOCKWORK REVOLUTION
Next Id game
Gears 6

InB4WeHaveNotSeenGamePlay. These games exist and will come out before 2025,, so its wrong to say they have nothing after Starfield. Many of these games will be quality games.

Show me Sony 2024 roadmap?.
You are a lion…let me hear you warrrrrr!!!! Oh, I meant roar but got twisted up with your bait and internally heard the word waarrrrrrr!.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Hell im FF series singleplayer fanatic, beaten and had fun doing it everything from ff4 to ff15(no ff11 and ff14 since those were mmos, and ofc no ff13 since it was terrible gameplay wise, so 0 interest), and i still am waiting either for pc port or ps5pr0 to get that solid 60fps and no 720p in motion(fsr only looks okish in stills, in motion its terrible especially if its fsr1 and its upscaling from native 720p).
bpU2YUf.gif

Top Bottom