• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much will Starfield and the new games help Xbox?

How much help?

• A lot

Votes: 57 20.6%
  • middle

Votes: 49 17.7%
  • A little

Votes: 125 45.1%
  • shut up fatso

Votes: 46 16.6%

• Total voters

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Starfield looks amaaaaaaazing but Xbox is doing pretty crud hardware sales

Will the new games shown help move lotsa hardware and gamepass or is it only going to have a small effects like the couples time when Wii U got big games?

Robb

Gold Member
I voted a little. Even if Starfield turns out to be the game of the generation I don’t think it’ll help them all that much.

They need to release more good/great games that gather hype consistently to really get the ball rolling imo.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I voted for fatso, because i like that word. The better question would be how much will it help Game Pass numbers, because that's all they seem to care about.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
The question really is wether or not Starfield can get new people hooked on GamePass, as that is MS‘ strategy.

It will help a bit.

People will buy Series S and gamepass for a month, then collect dust for 7 years until TES6 and another month of gamepass.
What about

FORZA
HELLBLADE 2
FABLE
INDIANA JONES
CLOCKWORK REVOLUTION
Next Id game
Gears 6

InB4WeHaveNotSeenGamePlay. These games exist and will come out before 2025,, so its wrong to say they have nothing after Starfield. Many of these games will be quality games.

Show me Sony 2024 roadmap?.

Chukhopops

Voted fatso but I think it will help, especially in the long run as it will stay on GP forever.

The game is going to have legs for years with the added content, re-releases, VR version etc.

It’s going to be more impactful on PC GP users than console ones.

Fredrik

Since the question is about XBOX :
30 fps is gonna be a no no for a lot of people. So, a little help
30fps is a core gamer concern, mainstream gamers won’t care, even core gamers are still listing many 30fps games as their all time favorites, and I think many who normally complain about framerates are coming from the PC side of things and will play Starfield there.

Anyway I still lean toward the same conclusion that Starfield won’t change much when it comes to hardware sales. I’m thinking PC will be the biggest platform, modding is so big on Bethesda games and when the modding community finally have a new game to play around with I think the modding scene will explode. It’s gonna be awesome!

Isn't Skyrim together with GTA and Minecraft one of those few games that sell forever and got ported over and over? Okay, fantasy and space isn't the same, as Fallout isn't either, but I think it should have legs. Certainly a lot of PS customers are not happy about exclusivity, but I guess with time (and other future games), many will cave in and get it either on PC or even buy an XBox.
So even though I would have expected Gamepass on itself to help already much more, I think this game should finally kickstart MS marketshare catch up. Or I could be wrong again and even this does not really move the needle.

It is the most important title for them in a long time and for the foreseeable future as well, especially since their other usual exclusives hardly have the pull they once had.

Moses85

What about

FORZA
HELLBLADE 2
FABLE
INDIANA JONES
CLOCKWORK REVOLUTION
Next Id game
Gears 6

InB4WeHaveNotSeenGamePlay. These games exist and will come out before 2025,, so its wrong to say they have nothing after Starfield. Many of these games will be quality games.

Show me Sony 2024 roadmap?.
Hellblade 2

Spit Take Lol GIF by Justin

Looking Pedro Pascal GIF by HBO

Gears 6, Indi and the next ID game

I think if Starfield and Forza Horizon review and sell well then it will definitely help turn things around for Microsoft but they need to keep the momentum going by releasing at least 2-4 great quality triple A titles per year to have any chance of ever beating Sony or even Nintendo in the console race. Personally, I am not sure they can do it as this is a company focused on live service multiplayer games rather than single-player story-based titles that Sony and Nintendo are famous for and what makes them so proper with their fans.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
The reaction Starfield got after the showcase was significant, that limited footage saturated games media for a few weeks. I think it'll review well and will be the most talked about game for a while at least, with lots of "you can even... ... In Starfield" articles popping up for a while. It'll be the most streamed game, everyone will have an opinion. If you are interested in games, you won't be able to miss that Starfield has released. Xbox will extensively market Starfield as an exclusive (I've already seen an ad on YouTube) and I don't see how the game won't drive Gamepass subscriptions and hardware sales. It'll be interesting to see how many people do subscribe to Gamepass as the game will take a long time to play through - if you're subscribing just for that game, it might be better value to buy it outright. Nonetheless, if it reviews well, I assume there'll be plenty of people who are curious but unsure if it's for them who'll grab a month of gamepass to try the game, including some who'll stream it. I think that Starfield will be an event, almost certainly the biggest game launch of the year in terms of media exposure.

I expect that Xbox will continue to market Starfield alongside Forza, when that launches, maybe with emphasis on it being on Gamepass with 3rd party titles that will come to the service this year.

I don't think Microsoft will hold back on trying to make Starfield a big event, and while I think some people will be keen to talk it down, ultimately I don't see why people who are fans of playing games wouldn't be at the very least curious to play it.

Riky

$MSFT
Starfield is probably the most hyped game of the gen so I expect massive sales on Steam, big uptake of the premium pack to play early by Gamepass subscribers and it will no doubt boost console sales with the new Series S being available.
So yeah it's going to be huge.

Damigos

30fps is a core gamer concern, mainstream gamers won’t care, even core gamers are still listing many 30fps games as their all time favorites, and I think many who normally complain about framerates are coming from the PC side of things and will play Starfield there.

Anyway I still lean toward the same conclusion that Starfield won’t change much when it comes to hardware sales. I’m thinking PC will be the biggest platform, modding is so big on Bethesda games and when the modding community finally have a new game to play around with I think the modding scene will explode. It’s gonna be awesome!
The OP was about Xbox, not PC. The game wont steer the ship, i think, and one of the reasons is the 30 fps only mode. Even xbox owners probably will prefer to play it on PC, for 60 fps as well as modding ofc.
After FF16 mediocre performance mode and now Starfield, i have to say i am disappointed again with the development decisions of the devs/publishers. 30 fps for an action game or an FPS shooter is just not acceptable anymore.
Devs should actually make games smaller, lighter and maybe with a tiny bit leas detail to lock them to 60.
Thats just my opinion though, and before you send me death threats remember: opinions may vary 😉

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
If it comes to revenue, Starfield will help Xbox quite a bit.

When it comes to hardware sales and Game Pass subscription increase, Starfield will help Xbox only a little bit.

Matsuchezz

I guess that all the gamers that are Bethesda fans already bought an x series console. It is hard to believe that millions of people have been holding off to buy an Xbox console just waiting for star field. I don’t think so. The release changes nothing

Mr.Phoenix

A little. This is not what you can call a mainstream type game. Its one of those things that would do better on PC than on console. and its on PC. If it was only available on Xbox, then I would have said middle.

As for revenue, honestly, I couldn't say. Its on gamepass. It's not like we can say 10M sales in one week = $700M in revenue. There will be a lot of people that are currently subbed to gamepass that for them it would just be their monthly download, and there are those that would pay for gamepass for the month the game is out ($15) and maybe even the next month after that (so $30?). I mean, if it is reported that the game has got 10M downloads or even 20M... chances are less than 5-10% of all that would have been full game sales. So how do we put a monetary value to that?

Whats the current number of gamepass sub? As it stands, if there are 30M gamepass subs, It won't shock me if this game gets 25M downloads. But I guess the real way to gauge what effect it has on Xbox, is to see how much that gamepass sub base increases after like 3-6 months after its release.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
A little. This is not what you can call a mainstream type game. Its one of those things that would do better on PC than on console. and its on PC. If it was only available on Xbox, then I would have said middle.

It's an interesting prospect, I agree, it's not the typical console game blockbuster at all but I don't agree that it being on PC limits it's success on console. Just as I don't think vast swathes of PC players would buy a console if it was console only, I don't think that console players will jump to PC for it either.

In that respect I think that the type of player, PC or console, will play on the kind of system they normally play with and that'll be that, I don't think most people have more than one system.

As to whether the game will be embraced by console players remains to be seen, but given the success of other Bethesda titles on console like Fallout and Oblivion I don't see why the game wouldn't find an audience.

I'm sure that if it reviews well (and the expectation is that it will, as far as I can tell) then I assume that Xbox's marketing will push this to the top of the list of games to try that people who might play games on an Xbox console would consider.

Of course if it launches and it isn't all that good then the whole thing collapses, if Starfield is even quite good rather than essential, the level of expectation will make it seem like the biggest disappointment of the year, or longer.

Last edited:

skneogaf

The only way that xbox can catch playstation is if they buy playstation.

Games like starfield will gain them a few percent at most, I think 25% of the market share is the absolute most xbox will ever achieve without Activision.

If xbox buy Activision then 35% is the most they will have.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It can't not help in some way, whether it will be enough to justify the 'loss' of not putting it on other consoles will be interesting to see.

Console players that buy one console per generation and have already bought a PS5, will they go out and get a Series S just to play one game? Not sure. All Sony probably have to do is create enough noise around upcoming third party games and that Spider-Man 2 is coming exclusively to PS5 to make these more casual people forget about that idea.

MS need a constant supply of absolute bangers maybe 3 or 4 a year to get people to think about it I'd say.

Mr.Phoenix

It's an interesting prospect, I agree, it's not the typical console game blockbuster at all but I don't agree that it being on PC limits it's success on console. Just as I don't think vast swathes of PC players would buy a console if it was console only, I don't think that console players will jump to PC for it either.

In that respect I think that the type of player, PC or console, will play on the kind of system they normally play with and that'll be that, I don't think most people have more than one system.
Couldnt have said it better myself. I do not see this or games like these as the stereotypical system seller. I dont expect a lot of people to go buy a console to play it anymore than I expect anyone to build a PC for it.

That is why in my post, I was speaking more to gamepass than anything else. With gamepass, where its being played, be that console or PC doesn't really matter.

I guess that all the gamers that are Bethesda fans already bought an x series console. It is hard to believe that millions of people have been holding off to buy an Xbox console just waiting for star field.
One would expect all Nintendo fans already bought a Switch and here we are, that thing still selling like all the former must haves and wii-u ports needed the release of the latest banger to at last be really good enough to justify a purchase. It's actually quite illogical to me that any console, at least when supply and stock is just there, sells in very many waves, with certain games, and not just after release and when a hw revision allows a price cut- like most games do.

Customers wait for certain games and some wait for a library to build, so people are kinda always holding off. Also with Nintendo and Sony.

There are certainly some truly loyal MS fans, sticking around for every Halo, but MS needs to finally deliver their promises and once they get some constant good releases going the mind share should catch up and all the gamepass emphasis might not reach only deaf ears.

Tiamat2san

I sell more xbox series now than before the 45 min starfield video.
It has an impact but it’s nowhere near the volume of PS5 and switch consoles sold.
Some of the new customers also have a PS5 and starfield IS the game that made them buy a series X (X only, they don’t want an S)
Most are saying that they will try more games down the road. Forza, fable, avowed etc…

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

It can't not help in some way, whether it will be enough to justify the 'loss' of not putting it on other consoles will be interesting to see.

Console players that buy one console per generation and have already bought a PS5, will they go out and get a Series S just to play one game? Not sure. All Sony probably have to do is create enough noise around upcoming third party games and that Spider-Man 2 is coming exclusively to PS5 to make these more casual people forget about that idea.

MS need a constant supply of absolute bangers maybe 3 or 4 a year to get people to think about it I'd say.
The `loss` isn't even because it's not on PS5. I mean that's like a good 10M sales lost there in its lifetime maybe, but the real loss is that its on gamepass. If this game is downloaded 30M times,I expect no more than 5% to be people that actually pay $70 for it. At some point, that question has to be asked.. Across PC, Xbox, and PS5, this is a game that could have gone on to sell 30M copies.. that's $2.1B in potential revenue.. that is what is being given up for gamepass.

What it does for gamepass...is how this game's success will be measured. If 3 months, 6 months to a year following its release, GP subs remain flat, then it can be said the game had minimal impact.

Ozzie666

Not as much impact as it would if was not on gamepass. Hopefully the PC sales do well, I suspect the real Bethesda community is on PC, for mods and what not. Gamepass will eat into box sales, it may or may not generate more subs. Don't get me wrong, this game deserves all the success in the world. Not getting I'll try it on gamepass, then my sub will expire.

I think people who really want to experience this game, will most likely be PC players. Hopefully mods and better frame rates etc. In the end, short term bump for game pass, then back to normal. I don't believe this will move the needle much for xbox. But PC gamers are going to eat well. Honestly not sure how this game can recoup it's development costs.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
I sell more xbox series now than before the 45 min starfield video.
It has an impact but it’s nowhere near the volume of PS5 and switch consoles sold.
Some of the new customers also have a PS5 and starfield IS the game that made them buy them a series X (X only, they don’t want an S)
Most are saying that they will try more games down the road. Forza, fable, avowed etc…
This is valuable retail informations my friends Phil said Xbox will still be way behind if Starfield is 11/10 but I hopes it does well

The fact that we have piss-poor threads like this, show that Starfield going to have a massive impact.
What in tarnation this this thread is genius hold my beer pal

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Not as much impact as it would if was not on gamepass. Hopefully the PC sales do well, I suspect the real Bethesda community is on PC, for mods and what not. Gamepass will eat into box sales, it may or may not generate more subs. Don't get me wrong, this game deserves all the success in the world. Not getting I'll try it on gamepass, then my sub will expire.

I think people who really want to experience this game, will most likely be PC players. Hopefully mods and better frame rates etc. In the end, short term bump for game pass, then back to normal. I don't believe this will move the needle much for xbox. But PC gamers are going to eat well. Honestly not sure how this game can recoup it's development costs.
Good points I wonder how much this games cost?

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom