• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How much different will X1 and PS4 multiplats be visually?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheKayle

Banned
Gemüsepizza;80173957 said:
It's painfully obvious that you have no clue about what you are talking here. Seriously, I cringe almost everytime I read your posts. Guess what, resolution and framerates are not the only thing which matter regarding graphics. Those two games are not comparable, because they are doing different things graphically (one has pre-baked lighting, one has dynamic lighting etc., polycount, different shaders, car / track details etc.). If you want a real comparison, you have to compare actually the same game (a multi-platform game).

who told you that driveclub have more polycount than forza? i think is just the opposite

jaaz

interesting comment from Albert Penello in the other thread

Interesting, but not sure what he means by:

"People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX, the standard API’s that everyone programs against. So while people laude Sony for their HW skills, do you really think we don’t know how to build a system optimized for maximizing graphics for programmers?"

Except MS didn't do that. And neither did Sony. Neither has a Titan inside. They split the baby. He's speaking like a true programmer, but not necessarily a business man. Both MS and Sony had to make comprises to their components to bring their consoles in at a competitive price.

Want to know what I believe the difference is between the two? Kinect and the MS exclusives like the NFL partnership. These cost money and I believe MS had to make a compromise in components to make the console cost effective. This has led to a less powerful console graphics-wise than the PS4. Will it make any difference? Who knows, but to ignore that the PS4 has the potential for better graphics is just silly. The numbers do not lie.

ypo

PS4: 1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs)
PS4: 1152 Shaders
PS4: 72 Texture units
PS4: 32 ROPS
PS4: 8 ACE/64 queues
8gb GDDR5 @ 176gb/s

Verses

Xbone: 1.31 TF GPU -29% (12 CUs) -34%
Xbone: 768 Shaders -33%
Xbone: 48 Texture units -33%
Xbone: 16 ROPS -50%
Xbone: 2 ACE/ 16 queues -75%
8gb DDR3 @ 69gb/s -61%+ 32MB ESRAM @109gb/s -39%

CPU is +9% to Xbone.

Spongebob

Banned
I don't expect to be visually better, I think most developers will just use the same assets on both games. I expect PS4 to outperform XB1 in 2 or 3 years in framerate, screentearin, popup and that kind of sutff barely noticeable that digital foundry talks about.
Of course devs will use the same assets, the improvements on PS4 versions will be in smoothness of framerates and image quality. These differences will be noticeable from day 1, they will only grow larger as the generation continues.

Neuro

We might have some differences which will flame people, but I dont think multiplatform games are going to be any different unless someone intentionally blotches it up...Exclusives is a whole different story...

Dear SenjutsuSage

To me you seem like a reasonable and logical guy. please look at this comparison and tell me that difference is minimal between the two.

PS4: 1.84TF GPU ( 18 CUs)
PS4: 1152 Shaders
PS4: 72 Texture units
PS4: 32 ROPS
PS4: 8 ACE/64 queues
8gb GDDR5 @ 176gb/s

Verses

Xbone: 1.31 TF GPU (12 CUs)
Xbone: 768 Shaders
Xbone: 48 Texture units
Xbone: 16 ROPS
Xbone: 2 ACE/ 16 queues
8gb DDR3 @ 69gb/s+ 32MB ESRAM @109gb/s

if this numbers don't translate into something in real world performance, then what the point of upgrading from GTX 660 to GTX770 ?

what is the point of investing in a better hw if 40% doesn't matter, double the ROPS doesn't matter, 400% the queues doesn't matter?
You're not going to see a 40% difference in these games man. I'm sorry but you're just not.

Nerfon

The good of ps4 30-40% stronger gpu is not in graphics details or effects but be able to have with same graphics quality 30-40 % more players with different models and texture before frame drops under 30.
Next gen will be open worlds , mmo , etc environments that aren't controllable by devs like in fixed number of players games we got this gen.
When you can jump from one character on screen to 50+ in few seconds all with different models and textures ,xbox slow memory + little cache can't work even if coded from gods.
If played mmos on pc and did a gpu upgrades you saw the difference, iit's not high framerates most of the time that matter but not go to slideshow mode or freeze when a lot of characters/models sudden appear on screen what is gamebreaking.
Massive memory space and high constant bandwith is what massive online games ask for , xbox one will just fall all time to 1/3 ps4 memory speed when really matter in a mmorpg.

TheKayle

Banned
Gemüsepizza;80174989 said:
I did not say that it has a bigger polycount. I meant it had a different polycount, because, guess what - they are not the same game.

so if the average joe gamer...cant compare two driving games...let me guess you saying that u think that the 98% of gamers....will take the dynamic lightin vs pre backed..as a point to buy a console?

gemusepizza if with 40% of more power the average joe dosnt feel the differences....theres no difference...for him

I would expect a better frame rate in ps4 versions of games like watchdogs, etc. Maybe more visual effects. Digital foundry is going have a field day.

TheKayle

Banned
Of course devs will use the same assets, the improvements on PS4 versions will be in smoothness of framerates and image quality. These differences will be noticeable from day 1, they will only grow larger as the generation continues.

you mean in driveclub or knack in particular?

In 3rd party games? There might be slight differences in favor of the PS4 but I don't believe there will be dramatic differences.

1st party games will be where that added PS4 power is apparent.

Skeff

I don't expect to be visually better, I think most developers will just use the same assets on both games. I expect PS4 to outperform XB1 in 2 or 3 years in framerate, screentearin, popup and that kind of sutff barely noticeable that digital foundry talks about.

I think it's a reasonable assessment with the exceptions of textures and particles, higher quality textures will be made for PC and I expect them to be used in PS4 most likely higher density of particles too, I don't think there's going to be different character models or anything like that, but because the difference is regarding the pure power of the consoles rather than the developers being able to tackle the difficulty of the hardware due to the easy to program design in both consoles I expect the difference to be more standardized than this gen.

It will always be a stronger PS4 version and always by around the same amount, rather than this gens varying degree of differences.

Satchel

Banned
Depends on the set of eyes lookin gat them.

For console warriors on forums there will be a huge difference even if one barely exists. For those who just want to play good games, they'll look the same.

I'm going to get this off my chest.. I fucking hate the word "multiplat". Have gamers really gotten so lazy that they refuse to type 'form' at the end? Jesus...

Crisco

Banned
How is starting a thread like this not a bannable offense at this point? I mean, at least wait for some new information to come out before rehashing that same exact debate that's gone on since the consoles were announced and their respective specs were known.

Caronte

when this will happen we will see
right now ..forza is 1080 60 fps driveclub no...but should be easy to pull that on the ps4..damn

Evolution Studios' last game was released in February 2012 while Turn10's last game was released in October 2011.

That's why Forza looks better. It has nothing to do with the console.

With different models and textures ,xbox slow memory + little cache can't work even if coded from gods. . .go to slideshow mode or freeze when a lot of characters/models sudden appear on screen which is gamebreaking.

Massive memory space and high constant bandwith is what massive online games ask for, xbox one will just fall all time to 1/3 ps4 memory speed when really matter in a mmorpg.

The differences will be even wider in these types of games and consumer satisfaction will go to an all-time low for xboners after about a 2 years of losing every face-off but paying the same game price for inferior results. Being stealth-reminded of it in every thread too which is fair game. "hay gais which vers1on shud I geT?", *posts screenshot.

These differences will be noticeable from day 1, they will only grow larger as the generation continues.

pretty much.

Alebrije

CERO difference not only at launch but along all next generation , we will never see a 40% difference from a 3p developer but NAUGHTY DOG GODS will show us what that 40% means.

have litte faith 3p developers will care to use the extra power that PS4 has.

What am I reading?

Call of Duty Ghosts? Really?

Also, there is more to graphics than 1080p 60fps.

Lighting, Textures, Particle Effects, Physics, DoF, Motion Blur, AA, AF, HBAO, Reflections, Animations, Shadows, Scale, Draw Distance, Loading Times, Uber-sampling, 3D, VR, Polygons, decals, hair rendering, subsurface scattering, etc etc etc etc etc.

Will we see many differences at launch?

No.

ESPECIALLY in CoD Ghosts which barley qualifies as a next gen title.

We should however see improvements in later games, if we don't it will be due to lazy development(that gets thrown around to much but it applies)

The hardware architecture is near identical, but one platform is just more powerful, by a significant amount. No reason not to take advantage of that.

I understand their are more to graphics than just resolution and frame-rate (i've been gaming since the late 1980's) but obviously 99% of people only care about those two things when they're comparing multi-plats.

As far as the rest of your post goes, i actually agree with everything you said except for the very last sentence, "No reason not to take advantage of that". I just honestly do not believe that 3rd parties will put in the extra effort & money on PS4 versions even though it's a more powerful system. I think they will take the cheaper route which is doing straight ports.

People DO understand that Microsoft has some of the smartest graphics programmers IN THE WORLD. We CREATED DirectX

I read this in Al Pacino's voice, as his empire slowly crumbles around him.

"YOU'RE NOTHING WITHOUT ME.... NOTHING!"

Appeal to authority much.

see5harp

What the heck is a 40% difference? And why does it matter? If it means 10-15 FPS difference or noticeable IQ, who wouldn't want that?

If that's the case, then I'll just buy the better version. I still don't think multiplatform games are going to see that kind of difference this gen. Small 5 fps differences like in this gen didn't get people to not buy or play games on the PS3. Even if they dialed back resolutions or other effects (also like a few games this gen), it may not make a difference to someone who wants to play with people on their friendslist. I know plenty of people here had no problem playing Bayonetta or RDR on PS3.

Chobel

Pack it up guys, Albert Penello has spoken
I'm not assuming anyone is dumb. Not at all. I can understand based on what has been disclosed, why people are arriving at that conclusion.

I'm stating that not everyone knows all the facts. There are still a lot of important details about the platforms that are still unknown. I have many, many questions about what Sony is doing technically.

The question I posed earlier, and the statements I'm making now, will come out when we see the actual shipping boxes.

The most obvious point is that anyone looking at games on both platforms do not see ANY difference, let alone this alleged 30% - 40%. Both systems are powerful. Both are capable of next-gen graphics. I'm merely saying the application of that performance will mean the actual difference will not be that great.

-MD-

I kind of expect Microsoft and Sony's roles to switch this gen.

PS4 getting the better end of the multiplats while Xbone will still get comparable ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom