• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman responds to Anti-Semitic charges from the Anti-Defamation League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madrin

Gary Oldman has been one of my favorite actors for a long time but he always struck me as lacking a certain amount of social awareness from the interviews I've seen. Like when he bragged about being the highest paid actor in the world. I'm not sure he realizes how he comes across, or maybe he just doesn't care.

kirblar

Gary Oldman has been one of my favorite actors for a long time but he always struck me as lacking a certain amount of social awareness from the interviews I've seen. Like when he bragged about being the highest paid actor in the world. I'm not sure he realizes how he comes across, or maybe he just doesn't care.
When I read the initial comments mentioning Baldwin and Gibson I wondered if he might be totally unaware as to just how far down the rabbit-hole went with Gibson. The two situations aren't analogous in the least.

Replicant

Wait. What?

He doesn't like the Dark Knight too. :p

Get Him!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...cal-Correctness-Calls-Dark-Knight-Movies-Work

He also offers negative appraisals of some of his most famous roles, some of which are guaranteed to shock many fans: Sid & Nancy? "I didn't want to make it in the first place." Immortal Beloved: "I was the wrong person to play Beethoven." The Fifth Element: "Oh no. I can't bear it." He also dismissed his fan-favorite roles in the Harry Potter and Dark Knight franchises with "It was work."

Replicant

Why should he? Fifth Element was garbage.

What kind of a monster are you?

ALtbSqT.jpg

"The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people."
Oh you. You left out the part about the dashing good looks, and what a genuine pleasure it is to hang out with the chosen people, whom are known for their kind and forgiving nature to questionable statements about them.

Toxi

Banned
So anyone want to take a shot at the question I asked about the reason behind why so many Jews are in the media ?
A number of people have given their thoughts earlier in the thread.
This actually came up in my Macroeconomics course back in college- the persecution endured by the Jewish people had a huge impact in altering what the culture valued and what professions they went into. The persecution caused them to value learned skills like that didn't require great amounts of physical capital (like farming, blacksmithing). If they had to leave, they needed a profession like medicine that they could use in the next town to earn a living. And when the technological revolution of the 18-900s took hold, those fields ended up being super super super good to be in and turned into a mass cultural upside.
Leading Hollywood movie moguls and pioneers of the studio system era where jewish: Louis B. Mayer and Samuel Goldwyn (Metro-Goldwyn Mayer MGM) William Fox (Twentieth Century Fox), Jesse L. Lasky and Adolph Zukor (Paramount Pictures), Harry Cohn (Columbia Pictures) and Marcus Loew (Loews Pictures), Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack Warner (Warner Brothers) and Carl Laemmle the founder of Universal Studios.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I don't think it's passive aggressive but I haven't seen an apology look that fake even on the surface in a long time. So disingenuous.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Any public apology by a media figure is a forced apology though, it's how the game is played. He said something daft, apologises, they need to accept it. The only thing that not accepting it achieves is keeping the story in the media for a bit longer.

Personally I think it's a shame that Oldman is a new race pariah, I don't think he deserves it. He said some things in poor judgement, probably generalised a bit too much. He had an unpopular opinion, all this internet dogpiling seems a bit much.

Ikael

He is reacting to an artifical, hypocrital, sanctimonious ouburst of rage and self-righteous indignation with an equally hypocrital, insincere, and pompous apology. This is subtle trolling of the finest quality. Enjoy your affected theatric-filled PC world.

Palpable

"The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people."
Oh you. You left out the part about the dashing good looks, and what a genuine pleasure it is to hang out with the chosen people, whom are known for their kind and forgiving nature to questionable statements about them.

LOL! This geniunely made me laugh. +1 to you, sir.

Matt

You mean 'prejudiced'. Being Jewish isn't a race like Blacks, Whites, or Asians. You can be black and be jewish, so on and so forth.

Umm, it's both a religion and an ethnicity, unlike Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.

Rydeen

This is ridiculous and is getting blown way out of proportion. I didn't even take his comments initially as anti-semitic whatsoever, the stuff he did say about Jews running Hollywood seemed to be more in the context of the Mel Gibson / Alec Baldwin situation than what he felt was true or not. Are the ADL so thin-skinned and ready for a fight they demanded an apology over that???

Carcetti

They need to run a new season of Curb with Mel and Gary visiting Larry and trying to explain what's up. Then they visit the guy who wanted to stop Larry whistling Wagner.

Bit-Bit

hahaha when did he say Jews run Hollywood so they can take over the world? Are you really naive enough to think that you can jump to definitive conclusions about something someone you've never met has said in a print interview? Get real, man.

The stereotype exists because it is fundamentally true. There are a ton of Jews in power in Hollywood. No other community has a greater direct influence on the industry's production than Jews do. They're not trying to take over the world through Hollywood - that's ludicrous - and not everyone who brings their influence to light is trying to convey that outrageous message.

Gary Oldman was pointing out that Mel Gibson angered a community that held the majority of the power in Hollywood and that's why it's been tough for him to match his previous successes. That was the statement. It wasn't: "The Jewish community's attempt to take over the world through Hollywood has been criticized by Mel Gibson. Now they won't use him as an instrument anymore."

lol yes, it does. Most of the people who have an opinion on these sorts of things aren't part of the industry, though. So they're not aware how prevalent Jewish influence is within Hollywood.

The other issue is that a lot of times when people say "Jews run Hollywood" they're saying it with contempt instead of admiration.
Holy shit, someone that actually gets it. Thank you for typing this out say that I don't have to.

I'm just sick of the pitchfork culture. So many people are too ready to turn on someone for what they think the person wanted to say instead of understanding what the person actually said.

Holy shit, someone that actually gets it. Thank you for typing this out say that I don't have to.

I'm just sick of the pitchfork culture. So many people are too ready to turn on someone for what they think the person wanted to say instead of understanding what the person actually said.

Why he actually doesn't get it at all has been adressed multiple times in this thread and in countless others so you probably did well not reiterating the same misconstruction of what has actually been said and meant.

Basically it boils down to: a number of individuals who happen to be Jewish and working for their own interest (the reality) /= an alleged "Jewish community" working for Jewish interests (the stereotype).

Zaptruder

Banned
Why he actually doesn't get it at all has been adressed multiple times in this thread and in countless others so you probably did well not reiterating the same misconstruction of what has actually been said and meant.

Basically it boils down to: a number of individuals who happen to be Jewish and working for their own interest (the reality) /= an alleged "Jewish community" working for Jewish interests (the stereotype).

The self interest of individuals in an industry with a heavy tilt towards jewish executives are sufficient for there to be a significant bias for jewish interests in Hollywood.

It'd be difficult to argue otherwise. Taking the worst construction of an idea and castigating people over it... well, that's the kind of thing self-interested people do (in this case, the self interest of the self-righteous and the need to feel that sweet sweet rush of hate).

The self interest of individuals in an industry with a heavy tilt towards jewish executives are sufficient for there to be a significant bias for jewish interests in Hollywood.

It'd be difficult to argue otherwise. Taking the worst construction of an idea and castigating people over it... well, that's the kind of thing self-interested people do (in this case, the self interest of the self-righteous and the need to feel that sweet sweet rush of hate).

It's actually very simple to argue otherwise. What exactly are those alleged Jewish interests in Hollywood? Why, if they even exist, would automatically there be a bias? Why do you assume that Jewish executives would always act in the interest of a supposedly existing Jewish community above all things, including even their own private interests? Why the confusion between the two? Do you also assume that someone who is gay always act first and foremost in consideration of the LGBT's interests? Same goes wih Christian, Muslims, Blacks, whoever you want...

Sweet sweet intellectually dishonesty backing up wrong and harmful stereotypes.

Zaptruder

Banned
It's actually very simple to argue otherwise. What exactly are those alleged Jewish interests in Hollywood? Why, if they even exist, would automatically there be a bias?

Because you'd have to actively work against your own internal biases to be unbiased.

Why do you assume that Jewish executives would always act in the interest of a supposedly existing Jewish community above all things, including even their own private interests?
Why would they work for the jewish community first and foremost? And why can't their private interests include interest for their jewish community?

Why the confusion between the two? Do you also assume that someone who is gay always act first and foremost in consideration of the LGBT's interests? Same goes wih Christian, Muslims, Blacks, whoever you want...

No, I simply assume that people that are affiliated with those groups will in some situations act in self interest in a manner that ends up benefiting those groups as a byproduct of their own self-interested action.

Sweet sweet intellectually dishonesty backing up wrong and harmful stereotypes.

Well, no. It's intellectual honesty to want to understand the state of affairs objectively even when it goes against ones own biases.

No, I simply assume that people that are affiliated with those groups will in some situations act in self interest in a manner that ends up benefiting those groups as a byproduct of their own self-interested action.

Fair enough. That's a very long way from "being blacklisted by the Jewish community which runs Hollywood" which was Oldman's assertion though.

Zaptruder

Banned
Fair enough. That's a very long shot from "being blacklisted by the Jewish community which runs Hollywood" though.

It's not though. It's a poor way of wording it (leaving oneself open to deliberately been misconstrued and misinterpreted)... but in practice - self interested jewish men aren't likely to be too interested in hiring a man that's made anti-semitic remarks. And when most of studios are controlled by jewish men... it's not a huge stretch to realize that even if it does arise out of simple self-interest, you make the wrong remarks and you'll be 'blacklisted' in Hollywood.

And if they're anything like normal men, they'll find it easier to hate the idea of racists and bigots than to make the effort to actually understand and forgive a person. Especially when they have external social-cultural-economic motivations to not forgive.

So basically, yeah, if you make anti-semitic remarks in Hollywood, you're going to have a hard time finding further success there.

It's not though. It's a poor way of wording it (leaving oneself open to deliberately been misconstrued and misinterpreted)... but in practice - self interested jewish men aren't likely to be too interested in hiring a man that's made anti-semitic remarks. And when most of studios are controlled by jewish men... it's not a huge stretch to realize that even if it does arise out of simple self-interest, you make the wrong remarks and you'll be 'blacklisted' in Hollywood.

And if they're anything like normal men, they'll find it easier to hate the idea of racists and bigots than to make the effort to actually understand and forgive a person. Especially when they have external social-cultural-economic motivations to not forgive.

So basically, yeah, if you make anti-semitic remarks in Hollywood, you're going to have a hard time finding further success there.

Well we agree save for the misconstruction part. Here's what he said:

Oldman said:
Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him

He didn't say Gibson pissed off Jewish executives who aren't too keen on antisemitic drivels, he said that the town is run by Jews (bullshit stereotype regardless of the number of Jews working there otherwise he would never have committed the Passion) and that Gibson said the wrong things because he's bitten the hand that fed him (ie they were not wrong because they were antisemitic mind you, they were wrong because they went against what he perceives are the Jewish master's policy...).

Terrible (and unequivocal) wording. Let alone the sarcastic apology that only confirms and furthers the initial impression.

I hope you will know that this apology is heartfelt, genuine, and that I have an enormous personal affinity for the Jewish people in general, and those specifically in my life. The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people.

I just realized this sounds extremely sarcastic hahahah

Have you heard of the Elders of Zion ?

The Jews running the banks of the world, media and other parts of society is a decade old steorotype even used in the propaganda of the Nazis. I don't want to be mean but open a book man.

Relax there buddy. I went to Catholic school my whole life until I went to college that was predominantly Jewish. It's not like that's something I'm going to ask my friends.

I've heard the banking stereotype but the media and Hollywood one I haven't.

Has anyone considered that where judism and where Jews live, there'll be a more likelihood that they're be Jewish enterprise and success?

I can tell you from visiting family in the south and Midwest they're big on Christianity. Not exactly the best place to raise a Jewish family. NY is one of the big cities where judism and the ultra orthodox Hasidic Jews can practice and live in some peace. Israelis are also in large numbers in the coast cities.

He didn't say Gibson pissed off Jewish executives who aren't too keen on antisemitic drivels, he said that the town is run by Jews (bullshit stereotype regardless of the number of Jews working there otherwise he would never have committed the Passion) and that Gibson said the wrong things because he's bitten the hand that fed him (ie they were not wrong because they were antisemitic mind you, they were wrong because they went against what he perceives are the Jewish master's policy...).

Terrible (and unequivocal) wording. Let alone the sarcastic apology that only confirms and furthers the initial impression.

. . . What are you talking about? This is an incredibly bizarre interpretation of what seemed like a pretty simple to understand statement.

He said Gibson made anti semetic remarks while working in an industry where most of the people in power are Jewish and that's why he was blacklisted.

This has nothing to do with what you call a perceived "policy" and everything to do with Jewish people not wanting to work with him (the same as any group would feel like with a person who has openly displayed bigotry against them) and because they are in many power positions and networking and connections are huge in Hollywood, he's effectively barred from working there (blacklisted)

Not saying it's only Jewish people that were offended but you act like this sort of situation is unique to anti-semites. All it takes is to look at politics and party divisions that can work in similar ways. If a republican came out as a staunch Obamacare supporter and was pro-choice and had other typically anti-Republican views he'd be ostracized as well. Not exactly the same as blatant bigotry but the reaction would be similar enough

jett

D-Member
That seemed, obviously, a bit forced. I personally don't see the big deal in his original comments, not enough to raise the pitchforks and the torches anyway.

Well, that's just too bad.

Love how Oldman shits on his most famous roles, but the current Apes movie is pretty fantastic.

What a shill.

It's called PR. Much like this apology!

Is bias needed to explain not wanting to work with a guy who says one ethnicity is at fault for all wars? Is that comment best described as "biting the hand that feeds you"? Is it best to describe an entire ethnic group as "the hand"? Because that is what Oldman chose to do.

I am not Jewish but I would not want to work with someone who says "Are you a Jew? Jews are responsible for all wars on the earth." This is because that comment is repugnant and fuck the person who says it, not because I am in lock-step with some cabal of overlords who act as a unit to specifically control everyone's career. That implication is an insta-Godwin.

Tymerend

I don't understand how people assume this was written by PR. It's such a blatant and obvious 'screw you'. He had to have written this himself. It's so condescending and backhanded.

He's a horribly bigoted jackass, he's sticking to his guns, and I highly doubt you will ever see an actual apology come from him.

Tedesco!

NY is one of the big cities where judism and the ultra orthodox Hasidic Jews can practice and live in some peace.

That's because the bagels and delis in New York City are the best. There would be a large contingent of Jews in Kansas if the bagels and delis were top notch.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The problem is that such a statement is inherently prejudiced. Hollywood isn't run by Jews, Hollywood is run by people, many of whom happen to be Jewish. What Oldman is implying by his statement is that being Jewish is what defines these people, and therefore they are inherently different then him and other "normal" people.

An that's ignoring the history of profession-based demonization the Jews have suffered even in recent memory (banking, lending, jewelry etc - especially as it relates to WWII).

When you say that a specific group "runs" something, it sounds exclusionary. As though in this case, Jews run the industry at the exclusion of everyone else. The irony of a protestant brit making that assertion while invoking an Australian catholic is obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom