• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gary Oldman responds to Anti-Semitic charges from the Anti-Defamation League

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not be intentionally dense here. It is more than fair to make a reasonable inference as to what Oldman was getting at with his statements. This "It's not racism/sexism/homophobia/antisemitism unless someone says those exact words." has got to stop.

It is not, however, "more than fair" to pass off your interpretation as some sort of first-hand knowledge of the speaker's intent. I'm sitting here with my Jewish roommate - who, like me, works in the film industry - and laughing at your odd notion of what anti-semitism really is. You're taking a leap trying to decipher Oldman's statements, which were really pretty straightforward and not themselves indicative of anti-semitism.

Anti-semitism is "hostility or prejudice against Jews." Oldman's statement was neither hostile or prejudiced.

Prejudice is a "preconceived notion that is not based on reason or actual experience."

Anybody with "actual experience" in this industry will tell you that it is very densely populated with Jewish individuals, and this is particularly true with respect to studio executives, representation firms, and producers. Hollywood essentially is run by Jews. It's not a bad thing. Only a few of those Hollywood players who would say that "Jews run Hollywood" would be so bold as to contend that there's some sort of secret meetings going on behind closed doors wherein Jews decide who to blacklist and who to let off the hook.

Within this industry, saying "Jews run Hollywood" is far more commonly used as an observation of cultural prevalence, not as an allegation of collective conspiracy.

This is Oldman's statement:
“Mel Gibson is in a town that’s run by Jews and he said the wrong thing because he’s actually bitten the hand that I guess has fed him - and doesn’t need to feed him anymore because he’s got enough dough,” he continued.

I'll reiterate:
Gary Oldman was pointing out that Mel Gibson angered a community that held the majority of the power in Hollywood and that's why it's been tough for him to match his previous successes. That was the statement. It wasn't: "The Jewish community's attempt to take over the world through Hollywood has been criticized by Mel Gibson. Now they won't use him as an instrument anymore."

Is Gary Oldman an anti-semite? Maybe, I don't know. Neither do you. Did that particular statement reek of anti-semitism? No, it rings with an intimate and accurate understanding of the industry in which the speaker works. He explicitly stated that Gibson said the "wrong thing." Gibson insulted a community that holds the most power in his industry. Now he doesn't work as often or make as much money from his work. That's the truth.

The clear problem with this, also pointed out in ADL's response, is that Oldman is treating Jewish people that work in Hollywood as a collective, a hive mind, and that they made the decision to oust him from Hollywood. The language here is a direct reference those offensive ideas about Jews in Hollywood. The other problem with Oldman's statements is that it robs people of the right to be pissed off by Oldman's fuckery on an individual level. It's not about Mel Gibson pissing off "The Jews" who then turned against him. It's about Mel Gibson saying some fucked up shit, that pissed off a LOT of people, a lot of those people HAPPENED to be Jewish, and a lot of Jewish people happen to work in Hollywood. But those people made the individual choice to not work with Mel Gibson, and that's what Oldman doesn't seem to want to understand.

Follow your own advice and try not to be so dense. Your reading the language in Oldman's statement as anti-semitic has been addressed above.

Gibson, on the other hand, has been quite hostile to other communities, but his disdain for Jewish enterprise in the biz predates the racial bigotry he's spewed en masse in recent years. You'll find that, above all, Gibson was chiefly villainized in Hollywood for anti-semitic remarks and artistic expressions. Rightfully so.

There's a big difference between what Oldman said and what Gibson's said. You're refusing to acknowledge this.

That's a stereotype?

That's one I haven't heard of.

Have you heard of the Elders of Zion ?

The Jews running the banks of the world, media and other parts of society is a decade old steorotype even used in the propaganda of the Nazis. I don't want to be mean but open a book man.

Leading Hollywood movie moguls and pioneers of the studio system era where jewish: Louis B. Mayer and Samuel Goldwyn (Metro-Goldwyn Mayer MGM) William Fox (Twentieth Century Fox), Jesse L. Lasky and Adolph Zukor (Paramount Pictures), Harry Cohn (Columbia Pictures) and Marcus Loew (Loews Pictures), Harry, Albert, Sam, and Jack Warner (Warner Brothers) and Carl Laemmle the founder of Universal Studios.

This is interesting, why is it that alot of Jews are in these positions in media ? Anyone who has some insight into this ?

In my school time we used to learn that the reason alot of Jews where bankers and money lenders in pre-Nazi Germany times was that Jews was prosecuted and prohibited from working in other areas. Therefore they flourished there.

Gustav

Banned
He bit the hand that feeds him, and the hand is slapping him back hard.

I'm amazed they didn't accept it. That was a mea cupla blowjob.

Using anti Semitic stereotypes is not "biting the hand that feeds him", it's being an fucking anti Semite.

Also, this was nothing but a major troll.

Moff

The Jewish People, persecuted thorough the ages, are the first to hear God’s voice, and surely are the chosen people.

I would like to sign off with “Shalom Aleichem”
WYvOeoN.gif

its satire, right?

He bit the hand that feeds him, and the hand is slapping him back hard.

I'm amazed they didn't accept it. That was a mea cupla blowjob.

swoosh much?

Also I'm always amazed at the number of people in these threads propagating stereotypes if not ideas deeply rooted in antisemitism like the myth of Jews running the media.

He attempted what seemed like a more sincere apology on Kimmel although he totally failed to adress (or understand in which case he's a complete moron which I do not believe) the actual issues raised by his interview. He can continue to fuck right off with his hypocrite strawmen : drunk and/or angry I'm not spewing racist remarks.

someday

Banned
I've always found it ironic when people are shunned out of hollywood for saying that it's run by jews.

Doesn't that kind of prove their point?....
For me it's more that anyone who says something like that (and it's mostly meant negatively) probably feels similar ways about other minority groups. Honestly, anyone who doesn't like Jews probably doesn't like blacks or Mexicans either.
Fucking context people, "the Jews run Hollywood" is classic white supremacist rhetoric to explain why they're secret victims of the Zionist conspiracy. That's why it's a red-flag, for Jews and gentiles alike.
And this.

antonz

The truth is Jewish Males do predominately run Hollywood. That in and of itself is not automatically bad or anything. The problem with the statement jews run hollywood is it is used in a way to suggest there is some sinister agenda behind why Jews are there. There are none so it is a statement when made born out of some sort of ignorance

Heres a snippet of an article from 2008 by a Jewish Writer perplexed by the ADL for trying to deny Jewish influence in Hollywood instead of embracing it.
http://articles.latimes.com/2008/dec/19/opinion/oe-stein19

How deeply Jewish is Hollywood? When the studio chiefs took out a full-page ad in the Los Angeles Times a few weeks ago to demand that the Screen Actors Guild settle its contract, the open letter was signed by: News Corp. President Peter Chernin (Jewish), Paramount Pictures Chairman Brad Grey (Jewish), Walt Disney Co. Chief Executive Robert Iger (Jewish), Sony Pictures Chairman Michael Lynton (surprise, Dutch Jew), Warner Bros. Chairman Barry Meyer (Jewish), CBS Corp. Chief Executive Leslie Moonves (so Jewish his great uncle was the first prime minister of Israel), MGM Chairman Harry Sloan (Jewish) and NBC Universal Chief Executive Jeff Zucker (mega-Jewish). If either of the Weinstein brothers had signed, this group would have not only the power to shut down all film production but to form a minyan with enough Fiji water on hand to fill a mikvah.

The Jews are so dominant, I had to scour the trades to come up with six Gentiles in high positions at entertainment companies. When I called them to talk about their incredible advancement, five of them refused to talk to me, apparently out of fear of insulting Jews. The sixth, AMC President Charlie Collier, turned out to be Jewish.

As a proud Jew, I want America to know about our accomplishment. Yes, we control Hollywood. Without us, you'd be flipping between "The 700 Club" and "Davey and Goliath" on TV all day.

"I see how insensitive they may be, and how they may indeed contribute to the furtherance of a false stereotype."

They may be, they may not be. Who's to know?

Were jews the only ones who were offended by his statements? Or were those the only ones worth apologizing to?

The "Jews run Hollywood" statement was the most stereotyped comment Oldman made, so that's why the focus on Jews.

It's not like this doesn't happen to other people when they do/say ignorant things.

Mozilla got rid of their CEO for his anti-gay agenda.

The NBA punished Donald Sterling for his comments on black people.

And Mel Gibson... well, let's not forget that not only is Mel Gibson an anti-Semite, but he also wanted to beat his ex-girlfriend and wished that she get "raped by a pack of n******." Gibson hits all the minorities..

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I feel like Hollywood is and has been since the creation an industry with a huge Jewish influence. And I'm not saying that like it's bad, it's just historically the way it is. I guess when you say that, you've gotta follow up with that you're not saying that maliciously? I can see how he felt like he had to bring it up when talking about Mel's outburst, but I feel like you can believe that and still not be anti semetic about it.

Fusebox

Banned
The truth is Jewish Males do predominately run Hollywood. That in and of itself is not automatically bad or anything. The problem with the statement jews run hollywood is it is used in a way to suggest there is some sinister agenda behind why Jews are there. There are none so it is a statement when made born out of some sort of ignorance

Heres a snippet of an article from 2008 by a Jewish Writer perplexed by the ADL for trying to deny Jewish influence in Hollywood instead of embracing it.

Interesting point of view, makes sense, why don't they embrace their disproportionate success in the film industry?

No that is not the truth. The truth is that there are a lot of executives in Hollywood who are Jewish males. By presenting things like you do you only further the stereotype that Jews can't and won't act as individuals who happen to be jewish but will only or mainly act as member of the jewish community, serving the interests of said community. The problem is not only that there is no sinister agenda. It's that there is no agenda at all. They are Hollywood executives working for their own ass.

And what the fuck does "so Jewish his great uncle was the first prime minister of Israel" mean exactly? Exactly that. So Jewish that he was a high-ranking representative of what is perceived as the absolute Jewish community (hint: it's not, it's a country). Ergo being Jewish is working mainly the interest of other Jews (against the interest of others of course).

This stuff is as old as antisemism.

I feel like Hollywood is and has been since the creation an industry with a huge Jewish influence. And I'm not saying that like it's bad, it's just historically the way it is. I guess when you say that, you've gotta follow up with that you're not saying that maliciously? I can see how he felt like he had to bring it up when talking about Mel's outburst, but I feel like you can believe that and still not be anti semetic about it.

There is nothing wrong with saying that which is true and very different from saying that Hollywood is run by Jews (and that offending Jews when you're an actor will get you blacklisted).

If he wanted to state just that he could just have said that Gibson pissed off a lot of Jewish executives in Hollywood and that they won't give him work anymore which, again, is probably true but still very different from being blacklisted, the latter necessarily implying some sort of collegial condemnation to exile which is utter bullshit.

You're just making groundless statements.

None of this happened to Jonah Hill. He thoroughly apologized and did so sincerely, not like this bullshit Oldman's camp has come up with.

And Hill and his career are fine.

How the hell do you know he was sincere?

A guy who makes a living pretending to feel emotions he doesn't (and apparently is quite good at it).

royalan

Anybody with "actual experience" in this industry will tell you that it is very densely populated with Jewish individuals, and this is particularly true with respect to studio executives, representation firms, and producers. Hollywood essentially is run by Jews. It's not a bad thing. Only a few of those Hollywood players who would say that "Jews run Hollywood" would be so bold as to contend that there's some sort of secret meetings going on behind closed doors wherein Jews decide who to blacklist and who to let off the hook.

Within this industry, saying "Jews run Hollywood" is far more commonly used as an observation of cultural prevalence, not as an allegation of collective conspiracy.

whoareyoueventalkingto.gif

Why do you keep saying this as though I (or anyone else, really) challenged the idea that a lot of the people who work in Hollywood are Jewish? Nobody is denying that. But thanks for calling on My Jewish Friend to clear that up. The problem that people have with Oldman's comments is that he continues to group Jewish people, as though the only thing wrong with Mel's comments were that they pissed off "The Jews", when in reality the problem was Mel Gibson said some fucked-up shit regardless of who's "running" Hollywood.

Follow your own advice and try not to be so dense. Your reading the language in Oldman's statement as anti-semitic has been addressed above.

Gibson, on the other hand, has been quite hostile to other communities, but his disdain for Jewish enterprise in the biz predates the racial bigotry he's spewed en masse in recent years. You'll find that, above all, Gibson was chiefly villainized in Hollywood for anti-semitic remarks and artistic expressions. Rightfully so.

There's a big difference between what Oldman said and what Gibson's said. You're refusing to acknowledge this.

This conversation is going to go nowhere. You can continue to scrub Oldman's comments clean of obvious context. I'll continue to read between the lines and not ignore the dripping sarcasm in his so-called apology.

Dead

well not really...yet
I straight up laughed at the chosen people line. How can his rep let that out into the public. Lol

Wag

Well, all I can say is, as much as I love his work, what a POS this guy is. I can't honestly keep supporting this guy any longer.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Anti-semitic charges?

So like, he's being sued or something? Sorry, not a US citizen here, so not quite sure what is exactly the Anti Defamation League.

The name sounds like they're a group of super heroes or something.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Hollywood will go on a limb to protect Woody Allen, Bryan Singer, and Roman Polanski, but someone passive aggressively says something pissy about Jewish people? Just might have to end their career.

This whole thing is bullshit, on so many sides and from so many angles. It's just such a non-story.

The great thing about this gif is that the entire thing started with him doing an interview trashing Fifth Element as a terrible movie lol

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Reading the actual full interview was very enlightening, and gave me an entirely different perspective on this entire debacle. The cliff notes just makes him sound like a bitter old racist man. But I can't really disagree with what he actually says to be perfectly honest, even though I think he's being entirely too blunt. The apology letter is quite bizarre, however, and the only way I can make sense of it is to read it as some form of sarcasm.

I won't think any less of him, at least.

The great thing about this gif is that the entire thing started with him doing an interview trashing Fifth Element as a terrible movie lol
I read it more as him not being able to see anything than a bunch of flawed performances in his past work, not that the movies themselves are bad.

Monocle

It's kind of like Streisand Effect, but racism instead of real estate.
Lol, totally!

I peed on her house during the AIDS Ride. I had to go super bad. I was 80 miles in. I think that might be homophobic and anti-Semitic.
You should probably issue a public apology assuring gay Jews that you definitely would have participated in the Stonewall riots, if only gas wasn't so damn expensive.

Sometimes I wonder why that Stephen Fry quite about taking offense never gets posted in threads like these.
It's a dumb quote.
It's a good quote that idiots have appropriated to justify being dicks.

I hope this was satire. I wish he had written "fuck off" at the bottom of it though.

So anyone want to take a shot at the question I asked about the reason behind why so many Jews are in the media ?

That implication is a racist stereotype and your letter is on the way.

It is true that Jewish individuals have a high proportion of powerful positions in Hollywood. It is also true that networking is, in general, an important part of getting work, and that, from jobs to college admissions, people tend to choose those who are like them. It shouldn't be any more surprising or offensive to note that being Jewish could be an advantage in occupations dominated by Jewish individuals than to note that being white could be an advantage in occupations dominated by white individuals or being male could be an advantage in occupations dominated by male individuals.

I don't know what that has to do with Mel Gibson though. Oldman screwed up by mentioning Mel. Seth MacFarlane made a "Jews run Hollywood" joke at the Oscars. It aired. He still has a job. Alec Baldwin has used homophobic slurs, and honestly, I'm not going to hate him for that. It appeared to be a generic insult (irrelevant to the situation he was mad at), and while it is wrong to use as a generic insult that doesn't mean I hate and shun anyone who does it. But Mel. Maybe Oldman didn't know. Mel is crazy racist and regardless of the culture, I'd hope people would be uncomfortable working with him. You don't have to be Jewish, or anything in particular, for that.

Matt

Anti-semitism is "hostility or prejudice against Jews." Oldman's statement was neither hostile or prejudiced.

The problem is that such a statement is inherently prejudiced. Hollywood isn't run by Jews, Hollywood is run by people, many of whom happen to be Jewish. What Oldman is implying by his statement is that being Jewish is what defines these people, and therefore they are inherently different then him and other "normal" people.

A-V-B

This kinda hurts to watch. Gary Oldman is a fucking awesome actor, one of my acting heroes. Digging himself into a PR hole. Maybe he doesn't care? I dunno...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom