• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you decide what game to play on PC and what game to play on console if available on both?

MikeM

PC reminds me of my work PC too much. Mental barrier I know, but it still gets to me that i’ll take less fidelity and fps if it means I don’t get another reminder of work. Yes, I use Steam Big Picture but the login etc is all too close to my work laptop.

Obviously, I use PS5 as my main gaming box.

My 7900xt PC is used for games where the console version is noticeably scaled back, or where there is no 60fps mode.

I have even seemed to enjoy using PS5 for competitive shooters like COD simply because the playing field is more level with crossplay off. Something feels good about having a good round with everyone playing on the same box.

Soltype

if i have to aim a reticule, then it's PC, if it has good mod support , it's PC, otherwise I can go console.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You always have the most dramatic takes on PC gaming. Like you have to hand crank the damn thing to get it to power on while someone shovels coal in the other room to download updates. Just stick to console gaming, one button sounds about as complicated as you can handle.
Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into pc vs console thing. Just trying to reason for new releases and answer with some more details rather than "when its on pc, I always get pc".
All I am saying are imo facts. I am just more objective about it than pc fanboys are. This thread is a full out pc jerkcircle. Why am I seeing hate towards me for answering the OP question?
The question is this or that but I can only answer that?

I am not always negative. Far from it. You might only be looking for my posts like that but it's not true. I love pc gaming. And I always did. But it's not perfect. Even less so compared to console gaming nowadays.
Pc ports launch in trash state and if you don't have a pretty good pc, your experience will be more miserable.
I have a good pc, so my experience is fine but there are other people than me too you know? pcgamingwiki needs to exist, steam forums are full of people with problems and it's all reported on DF too.

Most people totally start shitting on consoles once they get into high end pc gaming. Just because they spent 3k$ on a brand new rig and the wow factor is there.
It is OBVIOUSLY more capable than 400$ console. nobody ever argues that. Not even me.
I think this is wrong to disregard what modern consoles do. These boxes deserve some credit.
Is ps5/xsx experience really that much worse when playing new release? really? no. It might even be better.

I've played ratchet and clank on release. Sure, I can play it now but am I really getting that much different experience? no. not at all.

So for me, I am happy to expect more stability and focus on game + physical ownership rather than expecting some fuckery with new release. Don't tell me there is none because that only means you are not a real pc gamer. Maybe these issues on pc fly by casuals but not for me. I have too many years of experience to tolerate this crap. Some new pc games make me feel like an idiot. Thy sell you the product and then you have to spend "any amount" of time to figure it out if something is not ok.

While people were figuring out RE4 on poc and why it's crashing? Yeah... i was crashing to. Don't make it sound like only I had issues. it is documented.
While people were laughing at Callisto Protocol stuttering and tlou1 port? I had beaten those games day1 without even thinking about technical aspects.
Hogwarts? Same thing. Some other examples too.
And despite problems with RE4 for example... I am happy I went with pc version. Once RT is disabled, it is 4k60+ max settings great experience. Only had 2-3 crashes, so okish.

said all that <3
I was going to get AC6 for ps5 since Elden Ring came with so many goodies and ac6 physical release is very similar.... But they announced 120fps on pc... so yeah. That might swing me over. I am still thinking about it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
PC as steam is a better store compared to others.
That's true. If I had to be digital only on ps5, I would probably kill myself.
PSN is so slow and browsing your library is such a pain, I can't believe sony made it so badly.
I have almost 600 games on steam and it's a breeze... while only 50 on psn and it's tragic experience. That's why I m physical on ps5 too.

except if a game isn't on steam or gog. If it's only on epic or ubisoft or ea crap... then I skip and get it on ps5. I would preferto play ac origins for example at a bit lower fidelity on ps5 than on pc with their crappy store.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

always PC, console BC is terrible with PC u have endless BC. U buy a game u have it forever and can play it on all your new hardware. Mods / controls / options are endless on the way how u want to play it. Consoles very limited.

El Muerto

My priority is PC first. If the game has issues and is not optimized on PC then i'll buy the game for consoles. But if the game is 30fps on consoles then i have to play it on pc.

Luipadre

I have an OLED tv so i played most games on PS5 but since i got my OLED monitor im playing more on PC. BG3 currently and starfield next. I aint playing that at 30 :p

Rivet

Easy. Always console (it just works out of the box and I haven't upgraded my PC for years anyway) unless it's better played with a mouse and keyboard, like Baldur's Gate 3.

Last edited:

Filben

bmli5wq.png

Yes, it usually takes a bit for me to decide.

twilo99

Is there anything that can't be played from the couch with a controller on console?

Most games I play competitively like CSGO, Quake, Starcraft, etc.

I've been playing some BG3 the last few days and can't really imagine dealing with a controller with all of that either.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Most games I play competitively like CSGO, Quake, Starcraft, etc.

I've been playing some BG3 the last few days and can't really imagine dealing with a controller with all of that either.
Hmm so key point is the "casual".

BG3 on controller can be a cure for insomnia at least. Even better than Diablos.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
bmli5wq.png

Yes, it usually takes a bit for me to decide.
No game on pc supports Dualsense haptics and triggers Fully.
many games do but in a limited way. It is either a bug or a limitation but it's weaker and lacking... and only wired.
That's another reason why I like to get games on ps5. Dualsense features and 3d audio on headphones. Yeah there are 3d solutions on pc but ps5 solution is very good when supported.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Like so many others - if it's on PC, I play it on PC.

If it's a Sony exclusive, I play it on PS5, IF it's something I'm really interested in. If it isn't, I wait for PC.

If it's Nintendo, I emulate.

My Xbox Series X will be the last Xbox that own, since I won't let Microsoft waste my money again on a completely irrelevant and redundant system.

And ultimately, the Steam Deck is the comfiest way to play. PC > Moonlight > Deck or native installation, depending on the game.

Filben

No game on pc supports Dualsense haptics and triggers Fully.
There are but very few, yes. I know for a fact because I've played them back to back on PC and PS5: F1 2021, Deathloop, Metro Exodus, A Plague Tale Reqiuem. It is exactly like on PS5.

Where adaptive triggers and haptic feedback is kind of supported: The Witcher 3 (enhanced edition); while adaptive triggers work, haptic feedback is missing on horseback which is present in the PS5 version.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are but very few, yes. I know for a fact because I've played them back to back on PC and PS5: F1 2021, Deathloop, Metro Exodus, A Plague Tale Reqiuem. It is exactly like on PS5.

Where adaptive triggers and haptic feedback is kind of supported: The Witcher 3 (enhanced edition); while adaptive triggers work, haptic feedback is missing on horseback which is present in the PS5 version.
I was under the impression that even if it works, it's waeker but clearly, I've not tested all pc dualsense titles myself!

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
PC by default unless a console friend and I want to play together.

More horsepower, mods, m&kb and controller both, connect to TV if you want the comfy couch scenario. I cant think of a reason personally that I would just choose console over PC outside of the playing with non-pc friends scenario.

Last edited:

Leonidas

If a game is available on PC I would buy it there.

My PC offers the best gaming experience with higher frame-rates, higher visual settings and better image reconstruction. I also have the ability to play Steam games on the go. Why would I buy a game on console if I can buy it on PC?

I do have a PS5 and PS+ Extra though, so if I want to try some games out I'll use PS+ Extra. I've had PS5 for a while and still never bought a game for it and don't plan on doing so either, but thanks to PS+ Extra I'll probably end up beating 30 games on PS5 this year :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I’m torn on this myself and constantly have an inner fight. I know 100% that pc will look and have better frames, but I also know PC is a constant nightmare for me and gaming. Shitty pc ports constant crashes / hdr inaccuracy issues and my inability to play a game without spending hours tweaking settings to ensure I have the best setup instead of playing the damn game!

On PS5 I just play but I know the graphics and frame rate will suffer which puts me off.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
If it is better with a mouse like RTS or CRPG it is on the PC.

If it is anything else on the console.

mrcroket

Easy, always PC

Never have to worry about backward compatibility, cheaper launch prices, bigger deals, mods, all kinds of peripheral support to play to your likings, etc.

No brainer
Yeah no brainer... bad ports, a lot of games with shader compilation stuttering (in some cases never fixed), more bug at launch, absurd drms like denuvo that limits the numbers of installations... :messenger_grinning_sweat:

damidu

after building a sff living room pc
playing multi platforms mostly on it.
(after making sure its not a clusterfuck port)

exclusives and backlog on ps5

series x, totaly retired

Crayon

Er I dunno. I know for games with heavy graphics I'd rather just get it them on ps5 because gpus upgrade options suck lately. The vast majority of games I am going to play will run super good on my gpu so I've not going to pay hella money for some gpu that will destroy the ps5 right now. Another reason I can think of is when I buy a game on pc and it doesn't work with proton. Proton works so well these days, I don't even check for compatibility anymore. If it doesn't run, I can refund it super easy and bonus I get to send a message that the game doesn't run on linux so fuck you lol.

I guess the other situation that makes me go console is when my wife is also going to play the game. She'll only buy games for console unless there is no choice.

Overall I buy more on pc. Main reasons would be the choice of controllers, game prices, old games running better, and steam itself. Steam as a platform as far as game organization, store, etc is muuuuuuch better than ps imo. So on balance I tend to buy on pc I guess.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Depends on the visuals and performance on console or if the game won’t release on PC same time as PS5.

Armored core 6 for example if it’s 1440p upscaled to 4k at 60fps on ps5 will mean I get it on ps5. Otherwise I’ll stick to PC. Don’t need Ray tracing garage. Rather have comfy couch and dual sense support.

Robbinhood

Banned
Most stuff ps5.

Big oled
High end 5.1
Couch
Resellable

Stuff like bg3? You have to play that on pc. Diablo was a toughy, i always played on pc but after trying the beta on ps5 it was more natural to play. I still haven’t bought it because i can’t decide. Cities 2 will be pc for sure

Lynkk

It depends if the game was built to play on a controller.
For example, if the game does use the Dual Sense features such as Everspace 2 on PS5.

Vox Machina

Banned
Like 99% on the PC. I hate the input lag on consoles and when I'm in the living room I usually want to use the TV for Movies/Shows.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Western games on PC, Japanese on console. Some exceptions due to exclusiviteis like with HiFi Rush.

Usually PC if it's available for both PC and ps5 , I bought Dead Island 2 on ps5 and it felt a little off , I knew my Pc would run it better , so I sold it and got it on Pc and what a difference.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
I play all games on ps5

I have a ryzen 5, 2070super 16gig ram , old gaming PC.

Chastten

Banned
Mostly just get things on Switch cause I like the ability to take it on the go, and just be able to pause anytime, anywhere and stuff.

In a few occasions the Switch port is so bad that even I can't handle things (looking at you Nights of Azure 2) so then I'll get it on PC, or if it's just too cheap to say no.

mrmustard

Banned
For now everything always on pc. But i'm thinking of getting a cheap XSS for some couch coop games like Broforce or Cuphead when friends visit.

Last edited:

pasterpl

In case of Xbox it is quite easy, with -lay anywhere titles and I believe all gamepass titles you have got progress sync, so I am jumping between devices with no need to start game again. Small thing, but great QoL solution. So answering your question OP, i don’t make that decision, I play on both.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I buy on console if I can for physical purposes. if I enjoy a game enough I usually double dip on PC for mods or steam deck usage.

Some games I buy on console just because I already have other games I got a Plat or 1000GS on and get it on those platforms to keep up the collection of completion.

Usually it means that 60% of what I buy is on Switch, 15% on PS5, 5% on Xbox, and 20% on PC.

Mythoclast

If available on GamePass on both, always console if 60fps mode is available (rather play on a big OLED screen than LCD)

Usually all games on console actually, except select few that are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper on PC. For example, Hogwarts Legacy I bought on PC because it was like 40% off on PC when compared to console.

Top Bottom