• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you decide what game to play on PC and what game to play on console if available on both?

As someone who plays both on PC and on console I do find it interesting how to some extent I just know what game I will play where. Diablo 4, BG3, Starfield, all pc no questions...but games like Stalker 2, Alan Wake 2, Hellblade 2, I'm more unsure...then you have games like Armored core, Lies of P, Mirage, all console for sure...how do you determine what platform you will play on for non exclusives between PC and console (any)?

Zheph

I have games I play on both but mostly depending on preferences and I don't think it's black and white as some people like to paint it

Roxkis_ii

If its current gen or has high system requirements, I get on it on Ps5. If it's a Inde game (a lot of baggers come out on steam early access) , or has a big modding community, PC.

twilo99

Console:

Games where graphical fidelity and frame rate are not that important.

Anything casual that can be played from the couch with a controller.

Platformers and fighting games.

PC: All else.

kungfuian

Physical media on PlayStation for all exclusives and full size AAA type stuff, so I can resell/trade/share, plus cant mentally get over the idea of downloading 100 gigs.

All the indie or smaller stuff I grab on Steam. Whenever I upgrade my PC or buy a new VR headset then I usually buy a handful of older titles AAA so I can mod them with shiny graphics or try them in VR.

Pagusas

Elden Member
If its on both I'll 99.9% of the time play it on PC, I have a beast of a machine so why wouldn't I. I can only think of a single game I play on console that is available on PC, and thats FF7 Remake. Thats just because the PC, even till this day, suffers from shader stutter, and the Ps5 is buttery smooth. The game doesn't look noticeably different on PC, and rebirth will launch on Ps5 first, so it just makes sense to keep playing it on ps5.

If they ever fixed the shader stutter though, I'd switch over, as there are some good mods that fix my main gripes with the game (like the Wall market music being totally wrong, great music replacement for it, or removing Cait Sith from the cutscene of the plate falling, or changing the Jenova blood color back to red)

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Easy.

If its on PC then imma play it on PC.
The only exceptions are if the game inexplicably doesnt have crossplay, alot of my IRL gamer friends are on console.

P.S
Some exceptions for Gamepass titles too, where the experience is just smoother on console.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
PC. If the port is bad I'd rather wait for a patch from the devs/fans to get it all fixed. This will probably be reinforced even more when I sell my series s for a deck.

Valonquar

Price and whether I'd rather sit in an office chair or a couch at that moment. It also matters if it's a game I like but would rather just cheat my way through the game with a trainer or mod into something better.

If it's on PC then that's where I'm playing it. I only buy consoles for games that I can't play on my PC. I have a Switch for Zelda/Mario etc. I don't need an Xbox because PC gets those games. I'll buy a PS5 when there are exclusive games I want to play that aren't on PC.

Buggy Loop

The fun part is that you can do both on pc.. its called not giving a shit about settings

I'm sure you own a 3080 or 4090, what would you need to do in the settings menu beyond changing resolution and setting everything to ultra

He can't help it. He spends his time on pcgamingwiki when he could just toggle MAX settings for 99.9% of games. Never understood this guy. I look once in a while at pcgamingwiki because i have ultrawide and some shit devs can't bother to support it properly, especially games that are a bit older, but that's it. No ultrawide, i don't even understand why you would bother to look at that site.

I think he's autistic a bit..

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I generally only play older titles on PC. Other than Starfield coming out, the last new game I've purchased for PC was NFS Heat in 2019.

I would be getting Starfield for my Series X if it had 60fps. No way I'm playing that in 30.

I usually break it down between frame rate, mod support, controller support, which friends will play it on what platform and if I want to play the game on surround sound or not which I have my PS5 hooked up to.

I double dip a lot especially with early access titles. I've been playing Hell Let Loose since the original PC beta and when it launched on consoles I got it for free with PS+ but I also bought the physical copy because I wanted it on my shelf and I love giving devs money when they actually care about what their making.

I just bought Six Days in Fallujah on PC to play it early and with my PC friends and I will absolutely buy it again to play with my console friends. Luckily the game has built in controller support from the start. Which Hell Let Loose didn't have for about 2 -3 years until it hit console. Though I did program my controller through steam anyway.

I bought Insurgency Sandstorm twice on PC and PS5 because that game, even though it has PC controller support, is so fast paced that it's very hard to keep up with the enemy players. So I'd rather play it on console to get a more even playing field.

I was pretty convinced that I was going to buy an Xbox for Starfield but I don't want to play a new game in 2023 at 30fps if I don't have to. I'm also very hype for it so I'm pretty sure I'm gonna build a super computer with a 4070 or up so I can blast max settings on it and plug it into my 55" LG OLED in 4K.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The fun part is that you can do both on pc.. its called not giving a shit about settings

I'm sure you own a 3080 or 4090, what would you need to do in the settings menu beyond changing resolution and setting everything to ultra
3080. Its not my fault re4 was coded so badly at release it crashed with rt enabled. Despotę having good fps. Its not just vram. I am rxceesing it in re4 with rt or without

No idea why stalker 2 would be in the unsure basket, follow up to a pretty hardcore pc fps game. Seems pretty logical where to play that one at least.
I have a 65 inch oled and a series X. I will sacrifice a bit of the quality that comes with my 40 seires PC if I can play a game that doesn't require a super high fps or better controls on PC...a game like stalker will look beautiful on my large screen.

MiguelItUp

If it's exclusive and I really want it, I'll get it for whatever platform it's on if I own it.

If it's multiplatform, I'll always get it for PC. Because my PC is beefier than anything else I own, and the multiplatform titles are usually cheaper there than elsewhere. Even if it's just a few bucks, it's something!

ssringo

- If its on PC I buy it on PC.
- If it's coming to PC I probably wait.
- If it's something I don't want to wait for and will happily purchase a second copy on PC I'll buy on console.
- If it's only on EGS it basically doesn't exist.

There was a short period of time where I might've bought a game on Switch for portability. But then the Deck came out and that chance vanished.

Puscifer

No idea why stalker 2 would be in the unsure basket, follow up to a pretty hardcore pc fps game. Seems pretty logical where to play that one at least.
Truth. Inventory heavy games I just can't do with a controller after getting a taste of it it with a kb/m. Honestly if consoles gave me the option of it in addition to better customisation for graphics I'd probably never use PC again but till then, I'm all in.

I got my hopes up that Star Ocean remaster with full graphics customization was the start of something and I should've kept my expectations in check.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If it’s play anywhere then no brainer. Buy for Xbox play on both.

If there are no 60 fps option then pc.

If it’s something that I will play for a looong time then pc.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
If its current gen or has high system requirements, I get on it on Ps5. If it's a Inde game (a lot of baggers come out on steam early access) , or has a big modding community, PC.
Same. Sometimes I found out about a game on steam so I wishlist it and buy it there even if a PS5 version exist. But for most big AAA the PS5 is the obvious choice. Maybe it I get a better PC it will change? But with a PS5 Pro coming next year I doubt it...

If it’s play anywhere then no brainer. Buy for Xbox play on both.

If there are no 60 fps option then pc.

If it’s something that I will play for a looong time than pc.
Yea, I appreciate the hell out of play anywhere, sometimes I wanna sit and play at my tv, sometimes my PC...it needs to become the norm. At least cross progression.

DeaDPo0L84

When I first built my PC I kinda jumped back and forth, but after spending more time on PC the differences were too drastic so now everything is on PC. The only reason I'd buy a PS5 game is if it's guaranteed to be exclusive for 2-3 years and It's a game I can't wait to play. My wife was this way with FF16 but after watching her play it for a bit I was like "nahhh I'm good, I'll wait for the PC release".

Interfectum

If Game is available on PC and Console: Get on PC
If Game is available on Console with inevitable PC port: Wait for PC
If Game is Nintendo: Buy on Switch

DeaDPo0L84

Do I want to fuck around with pc version or actually play the game.
Also, I get physical release and goodies.

I get pc version for re4 because it ran like shit on ps5
You always have the most dramatic takes on PC gaming. Like you have to hand crank the damn thing to get it to power on while someone shovels coal in the other room to download updates. Just stick to console gaming, one button sounds about as complicated as you can handle.

Top Bottom