• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How do you decide what game to play on PC and what game to play on console if available on both?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’m torn on this myself and constantly have an inner fight. I know 100% that pc will look and have better frames, but I also know PC is a constant nightmare for me and gaming. Shitty pc ports constant crashes / hdr inaccuracy issues and my inability to play a game without spending hours tweaking settings to ensure I have the best setup instead of playing the damn game!

On PS5 I just play but I know the graphics and frame rate will suffer which puts me off.
Oh yeah this reminds me. Hdr is broken for few months on nvidia. There are 2 problems that weren’t there few months ago.
You need to start hdr game relatively soon after starting pc. Otherwise hdr will say it’s on but it will not be and we’ll be washed out. You can monitor that with rtss. 2nd issue is that if you make it work… sometimes and that’s most of times I try, the in game hdr calibrations don’t work correctly. Re games you cannot make the square disappear and I always could and still can on ps5.
I am following a topic on nvidia forums. It’s a global issue but nvidia does nothing. It’s a shame because it all worked before lol.

For most people in this thread only raw fps matters. But there are so many more things that can improve or degrade the experience. Pc gamers don’t care for hdr though

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Usually PC if it's available for both PC and ps5 , I bought Dead Island 2 on ps5 and it felt a little off , I knew my Pc would run it better , so I sold it and got it on Pc and what a difference.
Can you explain what felt different?
I’ve not played dead island 2 but df was positive on ps5 port

Zathalus

Always PC. Even if a game has stutters it's still likely better on PC.

Jedi Survivor has more stutters on PC, but is still better then 720p with sub 40 frame drops.

Then you get into the other advantages, cheaper prices, any peripheral you want, mod support, better store front, and no issues with BC.

Even if my PC was worse then my PS5 (like say a 3060), I would likely still be PC first.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Everything PC, then Nintendo exclusives on the Switch.

After TLOU fiasco I decided to get their games on PS5 when I get one, since their games tend to be specially unoptimized on PC for some reason, not all of them but it's like throwing a coin... They can fix their PC versions, yet most of their games will still be heavier than other PC games, even than those more complex and with better graphics like Cyberpunk.

Edmund

On console - 65 inch oled TV + recliner sofa + air conditioning.

On pc - 27 inch lcd monitor, uncomfortable office chair, standing fan.

So I play everything on console.

Only pc exclusives are played on pc for example, Jagged Alliance 3. (which is really good!)

Last edited:

StueyDuck

which would be more fun on Controller vs M&KB

but ultimately price is the deciding factor for me + Trophies/Achievements , Does the extra cost afford me to lie on my couch like a sloth and just get enveloped into a game, or would it financially make more sense to be a hunchback at my desk getting distracted by framerates and settings

thats basically what guides my decision

StueyDuck

Everything PC, then Nintendo exclusives on the Switch.

After TLOU fiasco I decided to get their games on PS5 when I get one, since their games tend to be specially unoptimized on PC for some reason, not all of them but it's like throwing a coin... They can fix their PC versions, yet most of their games will still be heavier than other PC games, even than those more complex and with better graphics like Cyberpunk.
I play exclusives mostly on console but that's a blanket statement with essentially 2 bad ports (OG Horizon, TLOU) vs mostly good to great ports to PC (DG, SM 1 and 2, R&C, Returnal, GoW, uncharted, sackboy is iffy but still is mostly playable and the issues are minor). their track record is mostly positive.

Last edited:
By selling my PS5 after Sony ships their games eventually on PC now. This was a great decision on their part, i'm all for platform agnosticism.

Edit: and through emulation. My TOTK experience was a 100 times better for it at 4k 60fps.
Does that mean RDR will possibly be playable at 60fps through emulation too? If so, that would probably be better than emulating the Xbox version that DF showed

HL3.exe

Does that mean RDR will possibly be playable at 60fps through emulation too? If so, that would probably be better than emulating the Xbox version that DF showed
Already possible on Xenia yeah.

I'm unsure if the switch port will have any meaningful upgrade. From what I saw in the side by sides, not really

Drizzlehell

Banned
First: which platform has cheaper price?
Second: which version provides more convenience and is more hassle-free (if PC requires me to use anything but Steam or GoG = console, if PC version doesn't support controller = console, if X version is more broken then buy the version for Y, etc.)?
Third: are there any achievements (yeah, this is important to me, so what?)
Fourth (optional): is there is an optional VR mode and which platform is it supported on?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
If it something I know I'll be playing for a while or it is a game I'll play with my sons (like BG3) then I'll buy it on Steam. Otherwise, I'll rent it from Gamefly for PS5 or Switch.

Last edited:
Always PC. Even if the port is rough at first it's worth it for the simple fact that i know the game is mine for life. No rebuying the same title a dozen times like on consoles and eventually the DRM is stripped off so the game can be backed up.

I own a PC, Xbox Series X, PS5 and Switch OLED.

The choice of which version to buy is easy: PC is the version I would typically buy over the console versions, simply because I own a decent PC that can run the games at a much higher visual fidelity and framerate than the consoles. The PC version is also cheaper since I tend to buy the keys from sites such as CDKeys.com. There's something so special about playing a game on PC (OK, so perhaps 2023 hasn't been great for the platform) and having the option to customise how it looks and runs and that's without considering things like user-mods. I especially love how easy it is to customise Unreal Engine games on PC; things like increasing the draw distance for LOD, foliage and shadows.

I only buy the console version if it is out first, if it is exclusive (so no PC version, duh!) or if it has a special steelbook physical disc edition that appeals to me as a collector of steelbooks.

It goes without saying that I only buy exclusive games for Switch as third-party games are usually quite poor on Nintendo's handheld versus the current gen systems or PC.

King Dazzar

I used to love gaming on high end PC's and it was my primary platform for a couple of decades. But when HDR started to be used in games and Windows 10 hit. It all became a ball ache trying to get things to run as well as I wanted and look as I wanted them too. HDR was simply a mess for along time. And it got the point where by I was using multiple tools to smooth out bad ports. The last straw was when I clocked up 40 hrs in Far Cry 5. And then I realised it had all been spent trying to get it to run without frame time spikes.

I do miss all the modding etc I did with Skyrim and I've just built myself a great, silent discrete lounge PC (bottom left):
dLI6i3A.jpg

FRYaJrH.jpg

But in general after years of it. I love the simplicity plug and play, faff free experince of the consoles.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I play exclusives mostly on console but that's a blanket statement with essentially 2 bad ports (OG Horizon, TLOU) vs mostly good to great ports to PC (DG, SM 1 and 2, R&C, Returnal, GoW, uncharted, sackboy is iffy but still is mostly playable and the issues are minor). their track record is mostly positive.
Spiderman and uncharted, while not buggy are still heavier than other games from other devs, they require a higher rig than average.

StueyDuck

Spiderman and uncharted, while not buggy are still heavier than other games from other devs, they require a higher rig than average.
That is true, but i wouldn't call that a poor port.

I wouldn't make a blanket it statement that the porting done by studios like nixxes isn't worth the time or effort 🤷‍♂️

Havoc2049

It depends on the game and how recently my PC or console has been updated.

Like Sea of Thieves for example has two server choices; Open PC & XB and XB only servers. I play XB only servers, because all the Aimbot hackers on PC can ruin the experience.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yeah no brainer... bad ports, a lot of games with shader compilation stuttering (in some cases never fixed), more bug at launch, absurd drms like denuvo that limits the numbers of installations... :messenger_grinning_sweat:
417453.jpg

99,999999999999999% of bad ports are still better experiences on PC, even with stutters and bugs and denuvo limits the number of installations for simultaneous machines only, not the number of installations for us to replay de games.

Buggy Loop

417453.jpg

99,999999999999999% of bad ports are still better experiences on PC, even with stutters and bugs and denuvo limits the number of installations for simultaneous machines only, not the number of installations for us to replay de games.

Tsk tsk, look on what you're missing!

star-wars-jedi-ocalaly-optymalizacja-3.jpg

Fp-NFPGPX0-AMJh-Oh.jpg

With new UE5 games aiming 1080p, or you get 30 fps non 4k.

Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

I wonder which games weren't fixed he's referring to. Must be bottom of the barrel. Outside of inherent UE4 stutters which consoles also experience anyway, including traversal stutter on magic SSD sauce.

As if PC gamers are just waiting and begging for "cinematic" ports to come in and we have nothing else on the plate, nor the patience for devs to fix their fuckups

I would trade all of Sony's 1st parties on PC to keep playing this :

And having access to virtually all PC game inputs in sims makes it incomparable for rigs

All while being oblivious that Sony store is DRM. Ignorance is bliss.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Tsk tsk, look on what you're missing!

star-wars-jedi-ocalaly-optymalizacja-3.jpg

Fp-NFPGPX0-AMJh-Oh.jpg

With new UE5 games aiming 1080p, or you get 30 fps non 4k.

Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

I wonder which games weren't fixed he's referring to. Must be bottom of the barrel. Outside of inherent UE4 stutters which consoles also experience anyway, including traversal stutter on magic SSD sauce.

As if PC gamers are just waiting and begging for "cinematic" ports to come in and we have nothing else on the plate, nor the patience for devs to fix their fuckups

I would trade all of Sony's 1st parties on PC to keep playing this :

And having access to virtually all PC game inputs in sims makes it incomparable for rigs

All while being oblivious that Sony store is DRM. Ignorance is bliss.

That AM2 video is without mod(s)?

mrcroket

417453.jpg

No doubt, a great experience with peaks of literally 1 fps that let you apreciate the superior graphic quality in detail.

King Dazzar

417453.jpg

I would say with PC you have the "potential" to have a better experience. But at what time investment and journey to get there? For example here's a list of the usual things I'd tweak to get things ship shape with an average PC port:
  • Multiple Nvidia CP settings to try on and off, requiring a close down and reboot of game
  • Applying and trying frame cap and limiters for some titles and turning it off for others
  • Numerous settings testing within a game itself to see what may cause an issue or what additional enhancements you may get away with
  • Applying Vulkan or DX12 and retesting
  • Checking CPU and GPU usage for issues
  • Installing new or different drivers regularly and retesting
  • Trying the game in windowed or full screen modes to see impact on performance
  • For some historic titles I used to use a CPU core locator program to improve CPU usage
  • Finding config folder location for game and manually editing settings in many cases
The reward can be brilliant and worth the effort. But with a console it is as it is. You might find that limiting. But your time is spent playing games rather than configuring them. Both have there merits.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
That is true, but i wouldn't call that a poor port.

I wouldn't make a blanket it statement that the porting done by studios like nixxes isn't worth the time or effort 🤷‍♂️
Oh, I never said they were poor ports, Sony at least take care of polishing their PC releases over the time, TLOU P1 is the single one exception not only for Sony but for the whole industry, it was Cyberpunk 2077 level of fiasco on release with the exception that at least Cyberpunk runs well on average PC hardware while TLOU, as most other Sony PC ports, won't run any better, they'll just fix the bugs.

It's not a secret that their ports on PC are just less optimized in general so I'll probably stick to PS5 versions once I get one.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I would say with PC you have the "potential" to have a better experience. But at what time investment and journey to get there? For example here's a list of the usual things I'd tweak to get things ship shape with an average PC port:
  • Multiple Nvidia CP settings to try on and off, requiring a close down and reboot of game
  • Applying and trying frame cap and limiters for some titles and turning it off for others
  • Numerous settings testing within a game itself to see what may cause an issue or what additional enhancements you may get away with
  • For some historic titles I used to use a CPU core locator program to improve CPU usage
The reward can be brilliant and worth the effort. But with a console it is as it is. You might find that limiting. But your time is spent playing games rather than configuring them. Both have there merits.
WTF, I just click the games and play. If a game has such issues I'll definitely not play it until it's fixed, as if I don't have enough to play already lol.

I like tinkering so sometimes I'll do some performance tests with graphics settings but that's part of the fun, not even mandatory at all, most of the time I pick High presets + Ultra textures and that's it.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
  • Finding config folder location for game and manually editing settings in many cases

I rarely change things in Nvidia CP.
Framerate cap is optional and a always have it cap to 163fps on Nvidia driver.
I don't test much with settings. Just never go max shadows setting and RT effects that are not very significant.
If a game has Vulkan, I use Vulkan.
Rarely check CPU/GPU usage. Just when I feel something is very wrong.
Only driver I install is video driver that is almost automatic and don't test anything, just play.
I always play with windowed fullscreens unless freesync doesn't work.
Never did that.

All worth vs dealing on console with bad IQ, bad frame rate, bad input lag, bad controls, lack of options, almost no mods, poor BC, paid online, more expensive games, etc...

Finding config folder location for game and manually editing settings in many cases
This is rarely done and don't take more than a few minutes.

But your time is spent playing games rather than configuring them.

This is much less time consuming than loading times pre PS5 gen and giving my credit card info to pay for online.

Last edited:

Fredrik

30fps on console = PC.
If mods are important = PC.
If graphics are important = PC.
If the kids might enjoy it = console.
If I want lazy couch gaming = console.
If I want the home theater setup = console.

Buggy Loop

That AM2 video is without mod(s)?

I think so, to keep in mind we’re seeing his point of view with a camera on his head, the wheel and his hands are his, in front of a triple monitor setup to wrap around him.

I tried such a setup at a friends’ place because he’s a sim maniac. It’s incredibly immersive. The monitor distances and size take into account the real FOV so that a corner at 50m does feel like a corner at 50m.

That community is insane with the details. His next upgrade was with pedals that have force feedback.

King Dazzar

WTF, I just click the games and play. If a game has such issues I'll definitely not play it until it's fixed, as if I don't have enough to play already lol.

I like tinkering so sometimes I'll do some performance tests with graphics settings but that's part of the fun, not even mandatory at all, most of the time I pick High presets + Ultra textures and that's it.
I guess its down to how well you want the game to run and what game you're playing and how decent the port is. But for me, the games that just ran without any tweaking required were not the majority. A lot of the feedback I read with ports these days, doesn't tell me things have changed for the better. And as I mentioned, what you call fun, is a time investment for others.

I rarely change things in Nvidia CP.
Framerate cap is optional and a always have it cap to 163fps on Nvidia driver.
I don't test much with settings. Just never go max shadows setting and RT effects that are not very significant.
If a game has Vulkan, I use Vulkan.
Rarely check CPU/GPU usage. Just when I feel something is very wrong.
Only driver I install is video driver that is almost automatic and don't test anything, just play.
I always play with windowed fullscreens unless freesync doesn't work.
Never did that.

All worth vs dealing on console with bad IQ, bad frame rate, bad input lag, bad controls, lack of options, almost no mods, poor BC, paid online, more expensive games, etc...

This is rarely done and don't that more than a few minutes.

This is much less time consuming than loading times pre PS5 gen and giving my credit card info to pay for online.
My point was. That there is merit in both options.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Gamepass-> Xbox
Free on epic/gog/ steam- > PC

If it's a shooter, then PC is a need. Impossible to play on controller.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I guess its down to how well you want the game to run and what game you're playing and how decent the port is. But for me, the games that just ran without any tweaking required were not the majority. A lot of the feedback I read with ports these days, doesn't tell me things have changed for the better. And as I mentioned, what you call fun, is a time investment for others.

My point was. That there is merit in both options.
That's ok, PC gaming is not everyone, a computer is a more technical device and has always been, it's just very much plug and play these days. Even then, that "time investment" is like 30 seconds or so to me lol. I get why most console players coming to PC feel underwhelmed, it's a complete different thing and they should stay on consoles.

Also, many people are just unlucky with PC for some reason.

The reason why PC gaming is so popular these days is not because of AAA gaming but competitive gaming, so if you want to get into esports PC the obvious choice, AAA is just another niche not even the biggest one...

King Dazzar

That's ok, PC gaming is not everyone, a computer is a more technical device and has always been, it's just very much plug and play these days. Even then, that "time investment" is like 30 seconds or so to me lol. I get why most console players coming to PC feel underwhelmed, it's a complete different thing and they should stay on consoles.

Also, many people are just unlucky with PC for some reason.

The reason why PC gaming is so popular these days is not because of AAA gaming but competitive gaming, so if you want to get into esports PC the obvious choice, AAA is just another niche not even the biggest one...
Thanks for a balanced response. Its great to hear you find it plug and play, which does surprise me. As I read others dealing with numerous issues with the state of ports these days.

Like I say I've been there and done it for a very long time with PC's. And I loved it for many reasons. But was also aware of its downsides too. Just as I am with consoles. I still build and love my PCing. Its just not for gaming anymore.

BossLackey

Gold Member
Really depends on my mood, honestly.

All shooters, strategy, and RTS go on PC by default. Also anything graphically demanding or simply something I'd like to run at a high FPS even if it's not demanding. Most games are on PC.

However, outside of exclusives, I still buy multiplatform games on Switch if it's a beat 'em up, run 'n gun, or party game on Switch. Makes playing with friends a lot easier.

PS5 gets exclusives obviously, but also AAA multiplats if I'm feeling particularly burnt out by sitting at my desk for 13 hours a day.

Eventually I'll build a media server/gaming rig that's less powerful but can just sit behind my TV permanently, at which point it's gonna be PC outside of exclusives.

marjo

If it plays better with a mouse & keyboard (fps, strategy games, management, isometric rpgs, etc.) or if the graphics/frame rate are significantly better on PC, than I'll play on PC. Otherwise, it's a toss up and largely depends on what I'm in the mood for.

edit: if it has mods I'm interested in, that's another reason to play on PC.

Last edited:

L*][*N*K

Banned
if I care about the game I will play it on console, if I don’t I will end up buying it on sale on steam and play 20% of it and move on, i don’t even know why I own a PC I don’t even like it

Kataploom

Gold Member
Thanks for a balanced response. Its great to hear you find it plug and play, which does surprise me. As I read others dealing with numerous issues with the state of ports these days.

Like I say I've been there and done it for a very long time with PC's. And I loved it for many reasons. But was also aware of its downsides too. Just as I am with consoles. I still build and love my PCing. Its just not for gaming anymore.
Day one ports have been shit, that's undeniably, but I'm not day-1 buyer unless for Nintendo games. I'll always wait and see. When TOTK came out it ashamed every publisher out there due to Nintendo having delivered a complete product from day 1... And that's something that even on consoles isn't a norm anymore, I remember Callisto Protocol and Dead Space remake being trashed because of that.

My PC is pretty potato so usually the choice is easier. Although I could see me buying more games on PC when I upgrade it at the end of this year, I really do enjoy it.

Top Bottom