• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Housemarque teasing something for tomorrow

ButchCat

Returnal flopped guys. We are not getting a returnal 2.

hLYXcdB.jpeg
It's easy to write it off if you just look at absolute revenue and sales figures especially when comparing it to AAA games. I suspect Sony priced the game so high at launch (after the fact that the PS5 still had a small installed base) is because they knew an AA like this would have limited appeal, so without marketing and a low development cost I would not be surprised if the game ended up having a high net profit margin.

Perrott

Gold Member
I doubt tomorrow's announcement it's just going to be a comic series by Dark Horse. You wouldn't have the game studio behind the game and XDEV teasing like this, with bespoke marketing assets made just for this occassion, just for a comic series.

In fact, the likelier scenario is that we're getting several Returnal news tomorrow for the anniversary, possibly including:
  • A new comic series by Dark Horse.
  • An update to the PC version, making it compatible with the new PlayStation overlay, the latest releases of DLSS and FSR, and, hell, maybe even a Steam Deck Verified check.
  • Confirmation of a movie adaptation being in the works.
  • New merchandising and stuff. Perhaps even a crossover within Helldivers II.
  • And if we're really lucky, a new content update for the game.

tommib

I doubt tomorrow's announcement it's just going to be a comic series by Dark Horse. You wouldn't have the game studio behind the game and XDEV teasing like this, with bespoke marketing assets made just for this occassion, just for a comic series.

In fact, the likelier scenario is that we're getting several Returnal news tomorrow for the anniversary, possibly including:
  • An update to the PC version, making it compatible with the new PlayStation overlay, the latest releases of DLSS and FSR, and, hell, maybe even a Steam Deck Verified check.
Meme Crypto GIF by Forallcrypto

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
They've already announced publicly that their next game would be a new IP, so whatever they have in store for tomorrow - Returnal's third anniversary - certainly isn't a sequel, but it might be an update of some sort.
4 player co-op mode. Also you drop in pods now and can buy upgrades on your ship and they're adding robots as one of the enemy types and airstrikes are now there.

tommib

It's easy to write it off if you just look at absolute revenue and sales figures especially when comparing it to AAA games. I suspect Sony priced the game so high at launch (after the fact that the PS5 still had a small installed base) is because they knew an AA like this would have limited appeal, so without marketing and a low development cost I would not be surprised if the game ended up having a high net profit margin.
Returnal was not a AA production…

If it really is just a comic, what a bad way to announce it and over hype expectations. Guess we'll see. Seems like too many retweets for a comic.

yurinka

All this would be awesome, but I think it will be only the comic thing, and if lucky the game update.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
That's brutal, dude. Still funny though :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Imagine if the game had these graphics !!!
Have you played PC version maxed out at 4K?

All sinematics in the game are pre-rendered in-engine stuff, same as in Dragon's Dogma 2. The lighting is more complex which makes already existing assets in the game look more realistic and as they should, but rendering the game like that during gameplay will absolutely destroy performance. The game looks amazing on PC, if your PC is good enough that is.

Tilda Swinton roaming shitty Paramount+ CGI sets with a sudden revelation that Selene has been gay all along and all memories of children were traumatic memories of patriarchal human society.

Already a 10/10 with IGN France.
Doug Liman can make Returnal concept work on the big screen as well as for any TV network. Can you imagine how amazing Emily Blunt would be as Selene with all the experience she had filming Edge of Tomorrow and after so many years? Ah, a man can dream:messenger_relieved:

Dx039ZW.jpeg

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
XDEV hyping this up is weird for sure. I guess we will see, but I will be having low expectations just in case.

Zheph

XDEV hyping this up is weird for sure. I guess we will see, but I will be having low expectations just in case.
They likely worked a lot as well on the game and are happy to see some stuff related to it, I don't think it's a stretch

tommib

Geez all that teasing for just an artbook which also comes 3 years after the game's release? Not that I'm complaining, but I did hope something more than just an artbook...

Also, that tweet from yesterday got 1.6M views, lots of people will be disappointed if the announcement is just for the artbook.
I’m actually pretty excited. It’s some of the best art around plus a graphic novel. I’m a happy fanboy.

Zheph

Geez all that teasing for just an artbook which also comes 3 years after the game's release? Not that I'm complaining, but I did hope something more than just an artbook...

Also, that tweet from yesterday got 1.6M views, lots of people will be disappointed if the announcement is just for the artbook.
for sure and I was part of it but it would have been quite something to have a DLC/big announcement 3 years after and not even during a big ps event. It was kinda obvious in the end, I was chill about it

for sure and I was part of it but it would have been quite something to have a DLC/big announcement 3 years after and not even during a big ps event. It was kinda obvious in the end, I was chill about it
I didn't check the thread beyond the 1st page, so I didn't know it was mostly them teasing the release of an artbook. Like you said, I would love some DLC containing 2 new biomes, but they're probably full steam ahead with their new IP, so that ship has long since sailed.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
They should've released an artbook 3 years ago like so many other publishers are doing. I mean, I'll get it for sure if I can buy it one way or the other, but that's just way too late for such things to be released, unless you're building up for something big soon.

saintjules

Is it possible for Returnal II? I'm about to LOSE IT! I fucking LOVED that game! My GOTY!!!!

I hope maybe for next generation they make it. This new IP they talked about is probably what's next for Housemarque. I hope it is relative to Returnal in terms of gameplay though.

tommib

Wtf where is returnal 2?

Dissapointed
The whole team has said a couple of times Returnal was a one and done experience - and the game just was not a commercial success. They've started production on a new IP.

You can always play the endless tower of sisyphus for your Returnal fix. Or play Quake Remaster. Same vibes.

Top Bottom