• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InFAMOUS by Housemarque.. Is There a Better Match?

Amiga

Housemarque arrived at the AAA league in a big way with Returnal. They have mastered 3rd person action mechanics in a way no other developer in the world achieved. Both character control and enemy variety are deep and smooth. It would be a waste if Housemarque did a realistic action game with regular human characters like RDR or Uncharted.

An IP that would let them go all out would be inFAMOUS. The Finns can achieve something great with this IP in a way not even the evolved Sucker Punch can. It would also be a way into the mainstream for Housemarque, who don't get the appreciation they deserve because the challenge of Returnal was to much for most gamers(only 17% finished act 2)

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yes.

Infamous by Sucker Punch.

Returnal isn't the way it is because of the IP. It's the way it is because Housemarque wanted to make it like that. Using someone else's IP is irrelevant in that equation.

PS: assuming that Housemarque would be able to achieve something Sucker Punch can't is a very weird assumption. 🤔

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Doesn’t sound like a very good fit for them imo, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it. They’re a great team!

I’m also not sure Returnal is considered AAA? But I’m not sure where you draw the line between all of the A’s.

bender

What time is it?
but infamous is not a roguelite game.

I think housemarque only do roguelite games
mark-wahlberg-what-no.gif

kiphalfton

Housemarque arrived at the AAA league in a big way with Returnal. They have mastered 3rd person action mechanics in a way no other developer in the world achieved. Both character control and enemy variety are deep and smooth. It would be a waste if Housemarque did a realistic action game with regular human characters like RDR or Uncharted.

An IP that would let them go all out would be inFAMOUS. The Finns can achieve something great with this IP in a way not even the evolved Sucker Punch can. It would also be a way into the mainstream for Housemarque, who don't get the appreciation they deserve because the challenge of Returnal was to much for most gamers(only 17% finished act 2)

Lol, no just no.

There are very few games that set the world on fire with their gameplay, let alone Returnal. The only notable game in recent memory that's accomplished that being MGS 5. Beyond that, I'd say even the original infamous games had better action mechanics than Returnal. You can argue otherwise, but then at that point you're comparing Returnal to games that are >10 years old.

Last edited:

emivita

Yes. But please no ugly or nerdy looking girl like Fetch in First Light. Give me a sexy woman, or a sexy man like Cole.

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I love both Housemarque and Sucker Punch with all their games but there is just too much hyperbole in your statement.

So much that i have a hard time taking you serious in any way.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I love Returnal, but I'm not sure I would call it AAA. It has AAA qualities, sure, but it's much more limited in scope and production values, so I'd call it AA+, perhaps. Housemarque are brilliant, but it's something quite different to build a full story-driven AAA game, not sure they're quite up to that. Or if they would even want to.

First they need to make a quick twin stick shooter, just like the others they made that I enjoyed and was good at.
Then they can go make whatever artsy fartsy high brow thing they want.

That would be awesome, Fromsoft is definitely capable of making a great Zelda game

But the reverse might not be true, Imaging Nintendo making a Bloodborne 2
Queen Peesh has been kidnapped in London by Bos (or Bosm)! Quick, Richardio, grab your tanuki coat and your mushroom cap and embark! Beware of the goonbas in the alleyways, they might pack some knives!

Yes.

Infamous by Sucker Punch.

Returnal isn't the way it is because of the IP. It's the way it is because Housemarque wanted to make it like that. Using someone else's IP is irrelevant in that equation.

PS: assuming that Housemarque would be able to achieve something Sucker Punch can't is a very weird assumption. 🤔
Nah Sucker Punch wouldn't know how to do a new and proper Infamous today. Infamous (PS3 games) were more action and gameplay focused.

SeraphJan

Nah Sucker Punch wouldn't know how to do a new and proper Infamous today. Infamous (PS3 games) were more action and gameplay focused.
I find First Light to be extremely underrated, Fetch's super power is incredible in the hands of player, the action and gameplay is one of the most over the top experience I've had last gen, better than Second Son.

Last edited:

Amiga

Since Sony are cool with Marvel. They could let Housemarque make a Cabel game. with time-loops and everything

but infamous is not a roguelite game.

I think housemarque only do roguelite games
This is just one thing they do. Played Dead Nation and Alienation, great Housemarque games that had standard mainstream progression.
My suggestion is that they take the mechanics they mastered into a mainstream style game. Returnal style challenges could be included as side missions.

Infamous is crap compared to Returnal and most of Housemarque's games. Let it die - it was never that good.

Housemarque would make it great. It would be the setting to bring out their talents. They can reboot it and start with a fresh story.

Infamous is not bullet hell
Super villains throwing different type of stuff at you and coming at you in different ways. Imagine this game would be balanced differently than Returnal. The rare pick-up boosters would be permanent powers with cooldowns.

Yes.

Banjo by Double Fine.

I wish DF and Rare team-up and do anything.

Fbh

I'm sure they could do great gameplay with it since Infamous is essentially a third person shooter with a "superpowers" skin.

But the issue with the last Infamous game was the bland story, lack of content and boring city. Not the combat.
Also as much as Housemarque has shown to be able to make a third person shooter, they'd also have to make a fun AAA open world which would probably be on a larger scale than any of their previous projects. Unless they make a more streamlined and linear Infamous, but then people would bitch about it not being open world.

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Thankfully not:

Sick arcade shooter, with contributions from the creator of Robotron.

They also did Resogun, which is essentially Defender with wild particle effects.
I want this in 4k/120fps on PS5. With HM doing AAA games now, Sony really needs a new arcade games studio.

nowhat

Is there a better match? Of course there is. I demand a crossover of Infamous and Phoenix Wright. It would be "Coleslaw".

Last edited:

tommib

I want this in 4k/120fps on PS5. With HM doing AAA games now, Sony really needs a new arcade games studio.
I don’t think they’ll ever go back to pure arcade games like nex machina. Without narrative, I mean.

Returnal, after completing act 3, turns into a pure arcade game if you want to but Krueger is very much interested in abstract storytelling à lá David Lynch.

We’ll get another arcade/gameplay focused videogame with some deep fucked up cut-up narrative. And hopefully with even more horror and oppression.

It’s the only team I have hope in bringing pure darkness back to big budget games. Calisto Protocol and Scorn are looking good as well.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Why would anyone want the amazing Housemarque stuck with making another Infamous?

They’re the best at action packed shooters, and while Infamous gives you cool powers - it’s also a bland mediocre open world style of clearing sections of map.

They deserve better. Let them make what they want to make.

tommib

Why would anyone want the amazing Housemarque stuck with making another Infamous?

They’re the best at action packed shooters, and while Infamous gives you cool powers - it’s also a bland mediocre open world style of clearing sections of map.

They deserve better. Let them make what they want to make.
Absolutely. And I have hope it will be inspired by shit like this:

remina+2.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom