• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

InFAMOUS by Housemarque.. Is There a Better Match?

CamHostage

Returnal seemed like it was going to be all wrong when it was first announced. Realistic character, story-heavy design, "traditional" combat viewpoint, AAA game aspirations, none of the arcadey stuff they've been known for for decades. And yet, once you play it, you not only get why Housemarque wanted to do this (especially after all the bad vibes about it being in financial trouble in the AAA Era, plus the cancelation of Stormdivers,) but why they were a good fit for making it happen. So I'm glad it worked out this way.

I don't really see Infamous being in that style. It's long-form gameplay with little defined combat loop, it's physical in its mechanics yet haphazard (your superpowers let you throw stuff around or knockback whatever, but there's rarely precision required,) enemy variety is largely people (or vampires) so the idea of finding depth in the enemies is hard to identify, storytelling and character building in Infamous is branching and would be a pain to work on unless you really loved that part of the project (even Sucker Punch only so-so invested in the Karma system) plus it takes priority over gameplay at times and just hasn't been Housemarque's style even as they go towards AAA, and overall, realistically, there's little of Returnal that matches the past 5 Infamouses (counting the DLCs) aside from that it has a third-person camera system.

Housemaque's skills are elsewhere, so no, I don't think they're a good match for that brand.

Last edited:
Top down fallout by inxile
3rd person fallout by obsidian

Don't get me me wrong I love the Bethesda games, but the turnaround between games is too long, it'll be 2032 when we get the next fallout if we're lucky.... Not exaggerating

Amiga

It doesn't have to be the inFAMOUS IP. my main point was the superpower concept. Sci-Fi super suits have been done to death in games. every other game is a guy with a super suit. How about sword and sorcery in an a modern urban setting like the movie Bright? I'll take anything over super suits.

I'm sure they could do great gameplay with it since Infamous is essentially a third person shooter with a "superpowers" skin.

But the issue with the last Infamous game was the bland story, lack of content and boring city. Not the combat.
Also as much as Housemarque has shown to be able to make a third person shooter, they'd also have to make a fun AAA open world which would probably be on a larger scale than any of their previous projects. Unless they make a more streamlined and linear Infamous, but then people would bitch about it not being open world.

Housemarque can take unFAMOUS's story to a new level, and anouther reason for them including the gameplay. Returnal's narrative was surprisingly great with a lot of deep subtilty, good mix of direct conveyance and placement in the environment. the extra ending in the tower hit me hard with the way it explained the reoccurring Selene corpses. this was a professional and mature script.

As for the open world, the Crimson Wastes showed the potential. They can just implement a zone lockdown mechanic for combat areas.

.. but Krueger is very much interested in abstract storytelling à lá David Lynch.

In one of of the vidoc's Housemarque said they wanted to enough obvious parts so most people can keep up with the narrative. was weird to find one line in the hospital book that said "ship" instead of "boulder".
Absolutely. And I have hope it will be inspired by shit like this:

remina+2.JPG
what's the story?
(you may like some of Ken Ishikawa's work )

Shifty

I want this in 4k/120fps on PS5. With HM doing AAA games now, Sony really needs a new arcade games studio.
Yeah. It's a shame that arcade didn't end up being viable for HM, though it's some solace that they ended up sticking relatively close to their roots and making Returnal instead of whatever that canceled BR project was.

Absolutely. And I have hope it will be inspired by shit like this:

remina+2.JPG
What is this? It looks positively jimmy-rustling :messenger_fearful:

With HM doing AAA games now, Sony really needs a new arcade games studio.
This.
Arrowhead might be a possibility. Or just support several Indie-studios to find talent. Some small new studios which barely costs anything compared to what is needed to compete with MS in the arms race on the top end.
Why would anyone want the amazing Housemarque stuck with making another Infamous?

They’re the best at action packed shooters, and while Infamous gives you cool powers - it’s also a bland mediocre open world style of clearing sections of map.
I would assume the idea is to give Infamous a whole new direction (sort of like Metroid Prime...) and not force them to make a continuation (...more than DK TF). I would definitely welcome some experiments by Sony giving their IPs to whoever has an idea and passion for a new entry.

Can we stop with this obsession that every game franchise should turn into a rogue lite or souls type of gameplay? Some of us actually enjoy story driven games without needing to restart the same level 101 times to move forward. Thank you.

Ansphn

Megaman would be even better imo

Housemarque creating a more realistic/Returnal like Megaman single & co-op. Defeating the boss = new power-up, fast pace gaming.

Top Bottom