• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West | Gameplay Reveal Trailer

scalman

M37ZJxD.jpg

cormack12

Gold Member
I watched the original gameplay slice from 2016 to see how they stacked up

You can still see the LoDs gradually filling in softly. A bit like Valhalla, it's much improved from the PS4 version though - which was never as bad as DA:I for instance. But yeah we're all watching it to specifically scrutinise these aspects. In gameplay they aren't things you notice unless you're on a flat land with no action. Still need to see melee translating to denser battles.

GKLfNj.jpg

Setups like this were never the issue with Horizon: ZD. It was camps and multiple enemies that were difficult so I'd like to see more of that stuff. They showed us what happens when shit goes wrong with the dino's, but let's see what happens when you accidentally trigger 4/5 human enemies coming at you. I'm quite interested in those augments to the spear, they look cool as fuck, and the smoke screen was also nice to get back into cover/stun the dino's.

Really like the throwable explosive spears. It looks early game this but she has a full set of bows/ammo. I hope we do just keep them or start with them because it pisses me off when you see demo's like this and when you reach this point in game you have none of the tools but only hardpoints.

qhJ0lo.jpg

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Looks very good, but it's a bit disappointing that it's clearly sub-4K AND 30fps. Probably means a 60fps mode isn't happening.

And I wonder what it's gonna look like on PS4.

I've had some time to let that sink in.

While the countdown was running I was very sceptical and kinda bummed out because it felt like a downgrade.
Like they fooled me with that trailer from a year ago.

However after watching the Gameplay part in 4K i gotta say.
WELL FUCKING DONE.
It looks amazing and gorgeous! Especially considering its cross-generational.

Surley it still far from perfect like many pointed out - be it physics, collisions, clipping and so on.
Stuff like this will always stick out and it will probably haunt us for years to come.

But considering I can play a game with such visual fidelity on a 500€/$ machine is AMAZING.

Last edited:

Calverz

Gold Member
Feel free to revisit this post when you find anything even close to this quality at 60fps.

I'll say it again, this is Guerilla Games. They aren't hacks. This is going to be one of the best looking games for the next couple of years. Expecting this at 60fps is unrealistic.
30fps for the power that’s in these new consoles is frankly embarrassing. Is there a performance mode at least?

MastaKiiLA

30fps for the power that’s in these new consoles is frankly embarrassing. Is there a performance mode at least?
There might be a performance mode, but no one knows yet.

The power in these consoles is finite. More importantly, this is the first go at kicking the tires on this machine. They'll refine their engine over time, and we'll see improvements in their next title. However, this looks fucking amazing. Given that people called last year's reveal fake, this is impressive.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but I'd love to hear your opinion after E3 when, as someone else did earlier, everything else looks worse than this. I think it's easy to forget that it takes both money and talent to generate these visuals, and most games won't have that strong backing to pull this off. The assets alone are expensive to both create and display. I'm wary of disrespecting the effort that goes into producing visuals that look this good, just because I have some fantastical idea of what the future should look like.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

Biggest worry...

They decided to wow everyone with linear cramped level design. (This is the part where we want you to override this mount, so we'll place a mount right next to red grass and we'll have Aloy talk about wanting to override the mount by the red grass).

Doesn't bode well for kick ass open world gameplay.

I love being wrong though so we'll see.
They did something similar at E3 2016 for the OG Horizon.
They scripted a little, quite linear story which did not appear in the final game but was close enough to show the game mechanics in a quite realistic way. Back then she also explained what she is doing and did not so in the final game because it would be annoying.
The viewer got a lot of information about the game, much more then with a "normal" trailer.

And if I see again the PS4 version of HZD, I am quite confident that Horizon forbidden west will look great even on a base PS4 :messenger_grinning:

Calverz

Gold Member
There might be a performance mode, but no one knows yet.

The power in these consoles is finite. More importantly, this is the first go at kicking the tires on this machine. They'll refine their engine over time, and we'll see improvements in their next title. However, this looks fucking amazing. Given that people called last year's reveal fake, this is impressive.

I'm not sure what you were expecting, but I'd love to hear your opinion after E3 when, as someone else did earlier, everything else looks worse than this. I think it's easy to forget that it takes both money and talent to generate these visuals, and most games won't have that strong backing to pull this off. The assets alone are expensive to both create and display. I'm wary of disrespecting the effort that goes into producing visuals that look this good, just because I have some fantastical idea of what the future should look like.
I expected 60fps. I wonder if the PS4 development has held it back. I’m now thinking even if there is. Performance mode it’s gonna be something like 1080p/60fps

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Goddamn look at this... the detail in the face is incredible, GG.. absolute masters, i gotta say from that 1 small gameplay footage this is a day 1 purchase for me even at £70, i loved the first one and this just looks like it ramps it all up to 100, the sheer density of foliage onscreen is insane considering this is an open world game and that underwater section looked better than anything i've seen to date in a game

Dodkrake

Banned
It's sad we've fallen to an era when people look at the tech sheet as opposed to how much enjoyment they can get from a game.

Who cares that they showed the game at 30fps? It looks butter smooth and fluid
Who cares it may be "upscaled" 4k? It looks sharp as hell on my 55 inch 4k TV
Why ask for multiplayer? Not all games need to be multiplayer, nor it fits their gameplay

I never played FM because of the graphics, or Death Stranding for FPS, or the OG Last of Us on the PS3 (ran at sub 30fps), I played them because they were enjoyable experiences.

And for those saying there won't be a 60fps mode, can you please wait? The complaint goalpost keeps moving. First it was the "trailer is BS", only for the gameplay to perfectly match it. Now it's the "but 60fps". Once they announce a 60fps mode, the goalpost will further move into "but it's not 4k" or "the shadows are not as good", and the cycle repeats. Meanwhile, some people that don't give a shit about specs will be enjoying a game, while others will be nitpicking on a shadow a 800x zoom.

killatopak

Gold Member
You can say that about every Sony first party studio and any AAA studio(with few exceptions) basically. We had better, more innovative games 15 years ago.
You can probably make a case for AAA games being similar in some aspects but that’s because it’s what sells.

You can’t say Sony didn’t try cause they released Returnal, Dreams, Puppeteer, Tearaway, Gravity and such.

Looks great as expected, though there is some aggressive lod pop-in all over the place.

Does anyone think there are extra lights on the characters? Sometimes Aloy didn't look like she was part of the scene.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Guerrilla better continue the story of the first one and not just this new tribe thingy, there are still 1-2 important things we don't know about the first game like

who the fuck sent the signal who made the IAs go rogue, literally what started the plot for the first game, we still don't know shit and the more rampant theory was the spaceship the humans send into the space that was supposedly destroyed

I hope they connect all the dots.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Visually looks OK, like a PS4 game running on a PS5 (duh), so at higher res, with sharper textures etc. or like HZD on PC for the matter, but HZD already set the bar really high to begin with, so I didn't expect much improvement in terms of the visuals given it's a cross-gen title.

But the gameplay was dull as hell, Aloy's constant monologues single-handedly kill the whole impression, she doesn't shut up even when underwater... A lot of tiny, unnecessary cut-scenes every now and then, even one in a middle of a duel, most if not all of it could've been easily done in TPP, during the gameplay, no need to take away the controls from the player that often for such a short time.

And Aloy sticking out of the bushes and the dinos not noticing her while looking straight into each others eyes is the biggest giveaway how much the game suffers from being a cross-gen title, if it was a PS5-only game I'm sure the visual representation would've been spot-on, with much denser foilage and appropriate physics

The boss fights are as always dope as fuck, but that's not enough the cover the rest of the flaws, especially Aloy's annoying monologues, god I can't stand it, it was cool at first 15 years ago in Uncharted but since then Sony's games almost always have a sidekicks so your character is actually talking with someone, and here you get the permanent Jim Carey's "what the hell are you talking about?! who are you talking to?!?" impression.

There are some nice additions and improvements to the gameplay, mostly to the traversal part, but overall the initial HZD gameplay reveal left A LOT better impression on me, this game here is trying way too hard to incorporate Sony's usual cinematic elements into an open world RPG where it simply doesn't fit.

SLB1904

Banned
Visually looks OK, like a PS4 game running on a PS5 (duh), so at higher res, with sharper textures etc. or like HZD on PC for the matter, but HZD already set the bar really high to begin with, so I didn't expect much improvement in terms of the visuals given it's a cross-gen title.

But the gameplay was dull as hell, Aloy's constant monologues single-handedly kill the whole impression, she doesn't shut up even when underwater... A lot of tiny, unnecessary cut-scenes every now and then, even one in a middle of a duel, most if not all of it could've been easily done in TPP, during the gameplay, no need to take away the controls from the player that often for such a short time.
It's okay. You not force to buy a ps5. You just trying to hard.

Bramble

This was their gameplay debut. It's a big deal.

They think the best way to showcase their game is with linear, hand holdy level design. That doesn't strike me as a vote of confidence for impressive open world design.

Hopefully I'm proven wrong, but I'm skeptical.

Of course there's always a salty dude which reply you see first when you open a thread for the first time. How about you just leave and ignore this thread. This game isn't for you. Thank god for the ignore button. Have a lovely day.

LMJ

This is the gif I'm referring to when I say the vegetation reacts, it's subtle, but it's there

Firstly, none of these new games (no not even Ratchet RA) are showing the machines (V and XseX) full potential yet, not even close...so relax...for now

Secondly, we will likely see the option for both continue, before the inevitable sacrifice for shiner and shiner graphics, same as with the PS3/4 360/Xbone. When the middle gen comes around(VPro/XseXX), this will likely change, but people like eye candy...

OneDrop_

Neo Member
Did no impress.
Looks good as expected (it's that the same tall grass growing all the way to the sandy beaches?), but nothing that impressive and no changes to the formula. History wise, that it showed from the plot, it's the same old "follow the macguffin" to solve the mystery. They could had done a much better job presenting the other side, who they are, what are their goals, and if they wanted to show them as enemies they could had also showed better IA than this.
Again, did not impress.
Gameplay demo not lore lol.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Vegetation, apart from the ones to hide, not properly reacting (again) to player is the most disappointing for me. I continue not understanding how Zelda BOTW on Switch has better physics than Horizon 2 in PS5.
Design choice?! It's not like ryzen cpu can't do physics, but maybe guerrilla philosophy is different.

I mean, how many games have the same amount of physics of zelda??

Also, zelda has cartoony simple graphics, the destruction is very simple, you cut a tree and he divide in 3 identical parts, and it works because you don't expect accurate destruction with that cartoony type of graphic.

Horizon has super realistic graphic, to make physics that looks good with that style of graphic you need to use 100x times the resources of zelda botw.

Horizon 1 has breakable trees and the destruction looks milles better and more realistic than trees destruction in zelda botw.

Noita has an even simpler graphic compared to zelda and the physics in that game is like 1000x times better, why? Because it looks like shit and the destruction doesn't look photorealistic at all, and even that is enough to put on his knees every modern pc when there is too much stuff on screen.

Simple looking destruction\physics doesn't cut at all with realistic graphics, it would look completely out of place and console are not powerfull enough to make realistic stuff.

Just look how many people already noticed the debris disappearing when the mammuth destroy the wall, people expect super realism even in physics and destruction when a game look that good.

When nintendo in 20 years is gonna have a console powerfull as a ps5\sex and zelda is gonna look like a modern game, that type of destruction is not gonna cut anymore.

Rdr2 had realistic graphics and limited but realistic looking destruction here and there, that's why it is considered the pinnacle technical achievement for the last gen, also 9 years in the oven, biggest budget ever for a game and like 2000+ persons working on it, guerrilla is big but nowhere near rockstar.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Guerrilla better continue the story of the first one and not just this new tribe thingy, there are still 1-2 important things we don't know about the first game like

who the fuck sent the signal who made the IAs go rogue, literally what started the plot for the first game, we still don't know shit and the more rampant theory was the spaceship the humans send into the space that was supposedly destroyed

I hope they connect all the dots.

Who knows, the marketing seems so far very focused on the blight and these rebels as the big baddies.

Where’s mah boy Silas?

MastaKiiLA

Exactly, if Sony wants my money they need to show me good games, not just pretty graphics, I have those on PC since forever, so nice cut-scenes and scripts don't to the job for me when the actual gameplay is just OK/average, or like in this case extremely annoying (constant monologues).
Low effort trolling, or are you the first person in the history of the internet to be misunderstood?

GymWolf

Gold Member
Who knows, the marketing seems so far very focused on the blight and these rebels as the big baddies.

Where’s mah boy Silas?
First of all it's sylens...

And the blight plague can be absolutely related to what i wrote in the spoiler, maybe the cause is the same of what caused the troubles in horizon 1.

That was a central part of the story, literally who started all the shit in the first one, there is no fucking way they can forget that plot point.

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
30fps for the power that’s in these new consoles is frankly embarrassing.
Are you kidding?
We`re talking about ~RTX 2070 comparable performance in those boxes. That´s barely enough for 60fps for last gen games at anything near 4k.....
The consoles are budget boxes, and you have to make compromises. The alternative is pouring ~1,5k in a higher end gaming rig instead.
I´ll agree on the "performance mode", though. Imho all games should offer that.

Last edited:
Feel free to revisit this post when you find anything even close to this quality at 60fps.

I'll say it again, this is Guerilla Games. They aren't hacks. This is going to be one of the best looking games for the next couple of years. Expecting this at 60fps is unrealistic.
I don't mind. 30fps looks awful nowdays. Lower resolution and do smart upscale. 60fps is always better for gameplay, not distracting cinematics.

GymWolf

Gold Member

And Aloy sticking out of the bushes and the dinos not noticing her while looking straight into each others eyes is the biggest giveaway how much the game suffers from being a cross-gen title, if it was a PS5-only game I'm sure the visual representation would've been spot-on, with much denser foilage and appropriate physics

The boss fights are as always dope as fuck, but that's not enough the cover the rest of the flaws, especially Aloy's annoying monologues, god I can't stand it, it was cool at first 15 years ago in Uncharted but since then Sony's games almost always have a sidekicks so your character is actually talking with someone, and here you get the permanent Jim Carey's "what the hell are you talking about?! who are you talking to?!?" impression.

There are some nice additions and improvements to the gameplay, mostly to the traversal part, but overall the initial HZD gameplay reveal left A LOT better impression on me, this game here is trying way too hard to incorporate Sony's usual cinematic elements into an open world RPG where it simply doesn't fit.
I'm 99% sure that she is more talkative than usual just for this trailer, she wasn't that annoying in the first one.
They probably did that to show a bit of her personality to new people who didn't played the first game.

Now, if showing her personality through mediocre one liners is the best idea or not is an entire different thing :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom