• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HG101 Presents The 200 Best Video Games of All Time (Available Now!)

RooMHM

fv7qDiC.png
Perfect.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Sorry! Looking to get this finalized by the end of the week. Editing is taking longer than expected because of the text volume. It's 216 pages, so compared to the Konami Shooters book (152) it's only about 40% larger...but the word count is almost double.

knowing HG101, this is gonna be the most Japanese-heavy ass list...

The site ended up focusing more on Japanese games since that's what I was really into when I started it, which ended up creating a feedback loop (readers looking for more Japanese coverage, contributors supplying more of them, etc.) but I've always wanted to amp up more Western games too. For the book I made a conscious effort to include a wide selection of titles between Japan and the US/EU - it's like a 55/45 split between them.

discoalucard

^Are you Kurt Kalata? I was alaways curious, how is possible to like Sparkster more than the original RKA?

Good question! Last time I played both of them I kinda ended up liking RKA more? I think I wrote that original article like 8+ years ago, my opinions on things tend to change over time.

Firemind

How is the presentation? Is there concept/official artwork or is it just screenshots ripped from the games?

PS. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin? HG101 PLS

discoalucard

How is the presentation? Is there concept/official artwork or is it just screenshots ripped from the games?

PS. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin? HG101 PLS

Both (official artwork that is). This blog entry is from several months ago but it shows how the pages are laid out. It's pretty uniform throughout.

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2015/05/hg101-state-of-union-june-2015.html

Don't tell me you're a Dual Strike fan because just UGH

Also getting offtrack, there's a solid argument to be made of RKA vs. Sparkster. RKA is like a Sonic game stuck inside of Contra game. The level designs aren't always acclimated towards the character's abilities so there's lots of times where you use your super boost power and get killed. Alternatively, it's brilliant for boss battles and in the specific cases where you need to use the jet bursts.

Sparkster's levels are much more open and better tuned towards jet bursting, so it's more consistent in its design. Conversely, it doesn't really have the setpieces that make RKA stand out so much. I also think the griminess of RKA's graphics and soundtrack are more appropriate towards the universe, but the SNES version is still plenty attractive.

Firemind

Both (official artwork that is). This blog entry is from several months ago but it shows how the pages are laid out. It's pretty uniform throughout.

http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2015/05/hg101-state-of-union-june-2015.html

Don't tell me you're a Dual Strike fan because just UGH
Ah, thanks. That looks fantastic! I think I prefer the two-page entries over the single page entries just a tad bit (I especially like the box art covers for both Japan and NA), but beggars can't be choosers.

My favourite is the original AW since it's the most fair and balanced, and has a top notch single-player campaign with different routes. I see you've also chosen Elite Beat Agents over Ouendan 1 and 2, but I can't fault you for that given the audience.

I can't see a link to buy the paper version, so I'll just wait until you're finished editing. :)

discoalucard

All of the entries are a single page, couldn't find a way to squeeze both covers or fit as much. Some territories artwork better fit into the layouts given the assets available - I wanted to use the SFC cover for Dragon Quest V as a header but couldn't find a good version that fit, so I had to do with the DS version.

For Days of Ruin, I like the way they implemented the CO powers (a lot like Langrisser), and even though the story isn't great I think the darker tone is more appropriate than the cartoonishness of the earlier games. Still, the write-ups tend to give an overview of the series and makes it clear that most of them are pretty good, we just had a preference for a single one. Like, Ouenden 1/2/EBA are all basically the same game, I just picked EBA because of the way it recontextualizes American pop music, something which ends up lost from the Japanese versions unless you're a huge J-Pop fan.

Thores

Available Now!

I've already purchased it off Amazon and I should have it by the end of the week. The link contains the full list of games featured, but I'm trying not to read it until I have the book in my hands, so the lineup can be a surprise.

discoalucard

Are the red bars in the interior shots actually there in print?

I really hope not.

It's part of the layout. It was based on the color scheme from the mid-90s PC Gamer and Computer Gaming World reviews.

fm5.jpg

Sucks that you can't get Kindle Matchbook on the B&W edition. Any chance of fixing that?

I'd like to. It takes a little while for Amazon to "combine" entries (the color, B&W, and Kindle options should be available on the same page). I'll see if it's possible, right now the Kindle version is only connected to the color book.

discoalucard

If we want to discuss the book should we do it here, in a new thread or what? How much can we talk without spoiling?

I don't have any problem with discussing it here, unless someone else wants to make a new thread.

I'm typically the biggest fan of HG101 books but I'm going to sit this one out.

I like their work when they're covering obscure games that deserve more attention, even if they're not very good, or meticulously documenting an entire series.

If they're doing a top 200 list then I'm sure it's going to cover a lot of mainstream games you can find anywhere else.

Just remembered I have some travel that this won't arrive in time for so I grabbed the digital version as well (double dip welcome, HG101)

Just skimmed through very quickly, will read more in depth when I have time, a few quick thoughts..
  • Yes, a lot of popular titles are represented, but way more of a mixture than your typical list.
  • Some Interactive Fiction love, respect!
  • Personally I would have barred anything from 2015, but no big deal.
  • Happy to see that things like a fan translation doesn't rule a game out

Here's the games covered:

Joust
Mappy
Bubble Bobble
Geometry Wars 3
Pac Man Champion Edition DX
TxK
Super Mario Bros. 3
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country Returns Tropical Freeze
Sonic CD
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile
Super Meat Boy
Shinobi (ARC)
Strider (ARC)
Ninja Gaiden (NES)
Bionic Commando Rearmed
Gimmick!
Castlevania Dracula X (PCE)
Demon's Crest
Mega Man X
Volgarr the Viking
Shovel Knight
Prince of Persia
Another World
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Super Metroid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Cave Story
Rogue Legacy
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Legacy of the Wizard
The Guardian Legend
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Terranigma
Seiken Densetsu 3
The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Mega Man Legends
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Okami
Shadow of the Collosus
Nier
Bloodborne
Shenmue II
Yakuza 4
Red Dead Redemption
Contra: Shattered Soldier
Turrican II
Gunstar Heroes
Shock Troopers
Metal Slug 3
Hotline Miami
Fantasy Zone IIDX
Gradius Gaiden
Sexy Parodius
MUSHA
R-Type Delta
Batsugun
Battle Garegga
Ikaruga
Mushihime-sama Futari
Space Harrier
Sin & Punishment: Star Successor
Vampire Savior
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
The Last Blade II
Garou: Mark of the Wolves
The King of Fighters 2002 Ultimate Match
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SoulCalibur II
Virtua Fighter 5
Streets of Rage 2
Violent Storm
Alien vs. Predator (ARC)
Double Dragon Advance
Guardian Heroes
Nights...into Dreams
Crash Bandicoot 3
Psychonauts
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Ninja Gaiden Black
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
God Hand
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bayonetta 2
A Mind Forever Voyaging
Monkey Island II: LeChuck's Revenge
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
Grim Fandango
Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers
Quest for Glory IV
Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars
The Last Express
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Cosmology of Kyoto
Snatcher
Ghost Trick
Steins;Gate
Nine Persons Nine Hours Nine Doors
Danganronpa 2
Silent Hill
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
Realms of Arkania 2: Star Trail
Diablo II
Fallout 2
Planescape Torment
Arcanum
Baldur's Gate II
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 2
The Witcher III: Wild Hunt
Legend of Grimrock II
Star Control 2
X-COM: UFO Defense
Jagged Alliance 2
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Chrono Trigger
Earthbound
Suikoden II
Phantasy Star IV: End of the Millenium
Panzer Dragoon Saga
Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
Persona 4 Golden
Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter
The World Ends With You
Xenoblade Chronicles
Etrian Odyssey III
Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden
Final Fantasy Tactics
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Front Mission 5
Valkyria Chronicles
Dragon Force
Command and Conquer: Red Alert 2
Starcraft
Total Annihilation
Homeworld
Company of Heroes
Age of Empires II
Total War: Rome
Heroes of Might & Magic III
Crusader Kings 2
Civilization IV
Alpha Centauri
Pirates!
SimCity 4
Doom
Blood
Star Wars Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight
No One Lives Forever
Perfect Dark
Half-Life 2
FEAR
SWAT 4
Crysis
Bulletstorm
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Thief 2
Metroid Prime
The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines
STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl
Max Payne 2
Resident Evil 4
Killer7
Freedom Fighters
The Last of Us
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
TIE Fighter
Descent: Freespace 2
Metal Gear Solid 3
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Hitman: Blood Money
Burnout 3: Takedown
OutRun 2006
Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed
F-Zero X
Punch-Out!!
SSX3
Jet Set Radio
Saturn Bomberman
Worms Armageddon
Puyo Puyo 2
Twinkle Star Sprites
Windjammers
Lemmings
Elite Beat Agents
Space Channel 5 Part 2
Devil's Crush
Typing of the Dead

One of the best Top Games lists I've ever seen (with the criteria being I like a lot of the games on the list).

These lists are kind of pointless. Worse they make for some of the worst discussion on any forum. Every other post is "X is too high/low" and "No X? List fail.".

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
PHEW, thanks for the list, now I can save myself the trouble of buying the book to find out what they chose!

I'll wait until a price drop on the color version & when I have a bit more funds. Not to mention I have other game-related books I still need to read, but neat to hear this is finally out. I'll still buy it eventually since all the books have been great reads & it's nice having certain franchises and such in one, up-to-date compilation. Plus I want to show support for more books happening.

These lists are kind of pointless. Worse they make for some of the worst discussion on any forum. Every other post is "X is too high/low" and "No X? List fail.".
It's for that exact reason as to why this book doesn't have any ranking order and they also have games that are similar to their picks so there's still "honorable mentions" for the most part.

discoalucard

Originally this was the case (we started back in January 2015). The two 2015 titles (Bloodborne and The Witcher III) were originally planned for Dark Souls and The Witcher II, but when it came to write the pieces, the authors decided the newer games were better. Any of the other 2015 games (Axiom Verge, Undertale, and a few 2014 ones like Alien Isolation and Divinity Original Sin) ended up in the runners-up section at the end.

Probably worth pointing out that is nowhere near the full list. Especially if you consider the runner ups. edit: oh I guess it is. I must have miss typed searching for a couple titles, but definitely 200 games listed. My bad. Still, runner ups are worth mentioning.

Also, it looks like a single game is chosen to represent a series with exceptions for what defines the series (Street Fighter Alpha and Street Fighter III being separate 'series' in that regard)

So Ocarina of Time is being represented with Majora's Mask. You may love or hate that decision, of course, but between the two the editors decided it was the best representation of that style of 3D zelda game.

Jamix012

ctrl + f

"ocarina"

phrase not found

okay

Yeah, I did the same thing. I can understand not liking the game but what on earth prompts one to not even include it in a top 200 where "historically significant" games are also included.

Edit: I misread the site, still it seems like a gap intentionally done to drive controversey.

Tizoc

Bah Amazon.com's $35 for free shipping strikes again. Will get this down the line, wishlisting for now.

ctrl + f

"ocarina"

phrase not found

okay

They included Majora's Mask and they have an "honorable mentions / like this" sections. They mentioned that they're trying to avoid games that are too similar to each other and must have felt that they could only afford to pick one of Majora & OoT. For example, they mentioned that even though SMB3 & SMW are both amazing games, they're close enough to each other that they only picked one of them.

Kudos for having Broken Sword in there. That game needs to be recognised more often as the seminal genre classic it is.

Pointless without context. There was a lot of criticism about the Edge list, but it was beautifully written.

Looking forward to reading this.

discoalucard

Bah Amazon.com's $35 for free shipping strikes again. Will get this down the line, wishlisting for now.

Doh! Does that mean if I increase it by a cent, it'll become eligible?

(Though sometimes Amazon does discount them down the road anyway so it would end up making it ineligible regardless.)

Only notable thing that jumped out to me. I'm always iffy on this. On the one hand, it's always a matter of opinion so any inclusion can be justified, but on the other hand, I feel like it's hard to really get a handle on a game until a decent time after its release.

But...
Originally this was the case (we started back in January 2015). The two 2015 titles (Bloodborne and The Witcher III) were originally planned for Dark Souls and The Witcher II, but when it came to write the pieces, the authors decided the newer games were better. Any of the other 2015 games (Axiom Verge, Undertale, and a few 2014 ones like Alien Isolation and Divinity Original Sin) ended up in the runners-up section at the end.
eh, this response satisfies me enough. I think that's fair.
KenJeongillallowit.gif

:p
They included Majora's Mask and they have an "honorable mentions / like this" sections. They mentioned that they're trying to avoid games that are too similar to each other and must have felt that they could only afford to pick one of Majora & OoT. For example, they mentioned that even though SMB3 & SMW are both amazing games, they're close enough to each other that they only picked one of them.
I like this approach as well. I think it makes thinking about even my own favorite games hard. I could sit here and sing the lauds of the entire Persona or GTA or Pokemon series, but it's an interesting thought process to just narrow it down to one.
I am talking about list threads in general. There isnt really much discussion to be had in them. Either omission/presence or ranking.

/shrug
Then why are you here? To tell us our discussion is pointless?

Great contribution m8.

So include Ocarina and not Majora's Mask, then. Which is better is subjective (I would say Ocarina), but which is historically significant is not, and Ocarina is one of the most historically significant games in existence.

By the way, they also snubbed Link to the Past. I suppose that's in favor of Link's Awakening. That's just trolling.

I suppose every major series could have a separate argument about which entry they picked, though. Like Sonic CD, Street Fighter, RE4 but no other RE games, Doom but not Doom II, no Dark Souls in favor of Bloodborne, which FF they picked, etc.

Speaking of FF: I'm not a Final Fantasy fan, but are V and VI different enough to both make the list?

Top Bottom