• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here’s the 1st HDMI 2.1 AV Receiver that Does 4K 120Hz with PS5 & XSX Bug-Free

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member

The new Onkyo TX-RZ50 is the first AV receiver we've tested that could do 4K 120Hz HDR VRR with the Xbox Series X, the Sony PS5 & NVidia's RTX 30 Series graphics cards without needing a separate convertor box, a hardware board change or a later firmware update. thanks to the latest bug-free HDMI 2.1 Panasonic chipset from Nuvoton Technology.
We used a 65-inch LG C1 (OLED65C1) to capture the HDMI signal information.
The Onkyo TX-RZ50 features three HDMI 2.1 inputs with 40Gbps bandwidth, three HDMI inputs with 24Gbps bandwidth, as well as two HDMI 2.1 outputs with 40Gbps bandwidth.

😉👌🏻

Soltype

I'm not entirely up to speed with the AV market , but I don't understand why you'd want your receiver to handle video, even for passthrough.

Last edited:

Mithos

I'm not entirely up to speed with the AV market , but I don't understand why you'd want your receiver to handle video, even for passthrough.
Multiple HDMI from the consoles/pc etc to the receiver and only 1 hdmi to the tv I assume.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Most HDMI 2.1 TVs only have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and you have to choose between 120hz or Dolby Vision (not both). So to have movies in Dolby Vision and both consoles at 120hz isn't possible.

That wouldn't even fit under my TV.
Disappointed King Of The Hill GIF

A.Romero

There is a Yamaha receiver coming out in August that is supposed to support 2.1 fully as well for about 1300 USD.

My experience with Onkyo hasn't been good but I'll admit I don't have a high end device.

Thanks for posting. I had stopped looking for a new receiver because of all the shenannigans with the failure of current HDMI standards. "Standards" what a misnomer.
Now I can get back to researching these and finally get my Atmos speakers working.

NeilH1982

Banned
I thought the problem with previous receivers was that they could not Handle the 48GB/s signal that the consoles output at 2160P/120FPS/4:4:4/Atmos. This still doesnt accept 48GB/s so what makes this different from the failed receivers earlier in the year ?

noise36

Meanwhile a year later my Yamaha V6A still doesn't have any HDMI 2.1 features, promised firmware updates never arrived and will need a hardware board change at some point.

Last edited:

Soltype

Most HDMI 2.1 TVs only have 2 HDMI 2.1 ports and you have to choose between 120hz or Dolby Vision (not both). So to have movies in Dolby Vision and both consoles at 120hz isn't possible.
Okay I think I get it, it's so you can have say more than 2 HDMI 2.1 devices connected, so you don't have to switch out cables?

Last edited:

Pagusas

Elden Member
I reallllly wish receiver companies would make the video switching capabilities of their units modular. The actual audio amplification parts don’t need to be replaced just because the hdmi support needs an update. It’s like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

and yes I know many of them make dedicated amps and video processors as separated units, but they charge ridiculous amounts for those. I’m talking the same thing we see in these $400-$2000 all in one units, just makes the video processing system modular and swappable. I have an 11.1 unit now that I love, but I had to stop using it for video switching because of hdmi 2.1. I’d easily pay $500-$800 dollars if I could just swap out its hdmi board for a modern one.

I reallllly wish receiver companies would make the video switching capabilities of their units modular. The actual audio amplification parts don’t need to be replaced just because the hdmi support needs an update. It’s like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

and yes I know many of them make dedicated amps and video processors as separated units, but they charge ridiculous amounts for those. I’m talking the same thing we see in these $400-$2000 all in one units, just makes the video processing system modular and swappable. I have an 11.1 unit now that I love, but I had to stop using it for video switching because of hdmi 2.1. I’d easily pay $500-$800 dollars if I could just swap out its hdmi board for a modern one.
Well, when somebody can do that affordably and painlessly, they're going to make a... little bit of money, I guess?

j0hnnix

I just watched this. definitely going to be shopping July/August. Now it's time to upgrade my receiver.

Dural

Emotiva has done this with their XCM-1 and hdmi 2.0, they haven't announced a 2.1 update that I know of though.

sn0man

Okay I get that, but isn't that a more expensive way than just using Arc /EArc.
Arc/EARC support for TVs vary from device to device. Let’s say you’ve got a Blu-ray with DTS master audio and an ultra high definition movie stream with Dolby Atmos. Not every tv does all the audio return work properly so it’s best to let the receiver have the source of audio and video and just past the video on through. Basically the TV should just be a monitor.
There is a Yamaha receiver coming out in August that is supposed to support 2.1 fully as well for about 1300 USD.

My experience with Onkyo hasn't been good but I'll admit I don't have a high end device.
Any details? I like Yamaha receivers and haven’t heard anything.

I'm going to wait until there's a good selction of fully HDMI 2.1 compatible receivers available before I buy one and by the time that happens the issues with HDMI 2.1 TVs will hopefully have also been sorted out. It's really not been the smoothest introduction of a new HDMI standard and I'm still cautious of buying anything at the moment.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I got to get a receiver one day. Living off this old home theatre system is outdated as hell. I need a slimmer style receiver though. That one in the OP looks giant.

I'm not spending over $1000. There's a Yamaha V6A receiver for less than half the cost but has HDR/4k/120 with firmware updates coming soon. Will watch that model.

Desless1

"Rumor" has it that Sound United delivers AVR's with a new motherboard and HDMI 2.1 bug fixed from August and forward. So I just checked with my local HIFI center, and they confirmed, all new AVRs ordered from now on will have the fix. Which means no breakout / adapter in addition to the AVR.

No official communication from SU as of now, but confirmed with several HIFI stores in different countries.

Thank God I waited for once in my life.

Jaxcellent

This is what I would need when I want to make the hdmi 2.1 loop in a HDMI 2.1 A/V setup complete. I have a Onkyo HDMI 2.0 receiver now.
HDMI 2.1 is amazing for my next receiver/display/projector that i plan to buy in 2025/6.

Not worth it yet for me. for now I'm looking forward to 4k/1440-w ray tracing on 60 frames a sec, when I can get my hands on a New Gen console.

Top Bottom