• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HDMI 2.1 issues on Panasonic chipset

JCK75

My wife bought new speakers for our living room and she was not happy with the weak sound from the Onkyo I got a while back so she let me get a Yamaha RX-V6A, I had to do some firmware updates before I could get HDR to even work and it was fine for like 2 weeks. But then all of a sudden if I tried to change inputs to go from my Shield TV to my Xbox Series X or PS4 Pro it would start changing the inputs on the TV to an empty input (no clue why I have it on HDMI 4 as it's the ARC capable input), and i would get no singal from anything until I shut the power from every device completely 2-3 times.. since then it's been working again but I'm actually afraid to change to play my Xbox now.

Anyone have the same receiver ever see that happen?

j0hnnix

My wife bought new speakers for our living room and she was not happy with the weak sound from the Onkyo I got a while back so she let me get a Yamaha RX-V6A, I had to do some firmware updates before I could get HDR to even work and it was fine for like 2 weeks. But then all of a sudden if I tried to change inputs to go from my Shield TV to my Xbox Series X or PS4 Pro it would start changing the inputs on the TV to an empty input (no clue why I have it on HDMI 4 as it's the ARC capable input), and i would get no singal from anything until I shut the power from every device completely 2-3 times.. since then it's been working again but I'm actually afraid to change to play my Xbox now.

Anyone have the same receiver ever see that happen?
I have been debating switching to this receiver now that I have a hdmi 2.1 capable tv. At this moment I have my devices to the tv and hdmi to the Sony str1080 receiver to avoid any issues, this is not a hdmi 2.1 receiver. It seems like a handshake issue. Good hdmi 2.1 cables , certified?

JCK75

I have been debating switching to this receiver now that I have a hdmi 2.1 capable tv. At this moment I have my devices to the tv and hdmi to the Sony str1080 receiver to avoid any issues, this is not a hdmi 2.1 receiver. It seems like a handshake issue. Good hdmi 2.1 cables , certified?

Cables are yes but the TV is not, I'm not doing 120hz just 4K at 60 (1440P at 120)..
Issue seems to be ARC going nuts and changing inputs on both the receiver and TV for no reason and just would not allow me to manually go back and get a signal.. craziest thing..

j0hnnix

Cables are yes but the TV is not, I'm not doing 120hz just 4K at 60 (1440P at 120)..
Issue seems to be ARC going nuts and changing inputs on both the receiver and TV for no reason and just would not allow me to manually go back and get a signal.. craziest thing..

Is there an option to turn off eArc on the receiver? Maybe that might be conflicting with the TV. I know some TVs with hdmi 2.0 could receive eArc.

JCK75

Is there an option to turn off eArc on the receiver? Maybe that might be conflicting with the TV. I know some TVs with hdmi 2.0 could receive eArc.
I need to look deeper and find that setting, I don't need eArc because all of my items are plugged into the receiver and just a cable from it to the TV.. don't want sound coming back..
pretty much the only thing I want it doing is power on off on the tv.
I need to actually read the manual as the settings I'm seeing are limited.

A.Romero

I need to look deeper and find that setting, I don't need eArc because all of my items are plugged into the receiver and just a cable from it to the TV.. don't want sound coming back..
pretty much the only thing I want it doing is power on off on the tv.
I need to actually read the manual as the settings I'm seeing are limited.

Shut CEC (or whatever the name on your receiver) off. It will require that you turn your TV on and your receiver by separate (same to shut them off) but the behavior you are describing should stop.

mitchman

Gold Member
STR 1080 supports eARC with recent firmware update so it actually works really well if you run the devices to the TV and then use eARC to the receiver for sound. Little reason to upgrade to a 2.1 receiver this year.

JCK75

Shut CEC (or whatever the name on your receiver) off. It will require that you turn your TV on and your receiver by separate (same to shut them off) but the behavior you are describing should stop.
I'm hoping I can work out why it's not acting right as I really want ARC.
I've had 3 receivers in the same setup for years now, and the ability to just hit a button on the shield and have it turn on in vital as my wife is an idiot who can not work a remote.

j0hnnix

STR 1080 supports eARC with recent firmware update so it actually works really well if you run the devices to the TV and then use eARC to the receiver for sound. Little reason to upgrade to a 2.1 receiver this year.
Oh , I know. no issues with my receivers eArc. It's been a great receiver.

A.Romero

I'm hoping I can work out why it's not acting right as I really want ARC.
I've had 3 receivers in the same setup for years now, and the ability to just hit a button on the shield and have it turn on in vital as my wife is an idiot who can not work a remote.

Yes, I've been in that situation before. In my experience it comes down to the TV/Receiver mix. When I had a Sony (can't remember the model) and a Samsung TV it was pretty erratic in general. Now I have an Onkyo and another Samsung TV and it works well mostly (sometimes consoles turn on out of nowhere so I ended up unplugging them from the power).

One thing that you could try is disable CEC from the individual devices except for the Shield.

It's so automated that there are not many opportunities for users to change configurations and fix things. If there are no updates available for the firmwares I don't think there is much that can be done.

Top Bottom