• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help I feel violated by Microsoft

Ribi

You don’t need a gaming PC for work and social networks. I’ve had a computer since the early 80s but I’ve only had a proper gaming PC since 2014. Many just sit with laptops. I did too, my first Steam game (Marlow Briggs) was played on a laptop, got it dirt cheap on a summer sale, that’s how it all started.
a "gaming laptop" is like 1k if that now with a 3060 in it and i know you can go cheaper and again it does so much more than just gaming. When people compare a ps5 vs a pc they say oh pc is expesive. Fuck a ps5 is $600 and a laptop with a 3060 in it is only a few hundred more and it does way more onto of being needed in modern society

Fredrik

If Microsoft were smart, they'd just charge an extra 30% for all Xbox games on Playstation (which would cover the cost to Sony for publishing on their platform). That way, the Xbox has the value proposition as being the cheapest way to play Xbox games, plus Microsoft makes some extra money from PS-only players who really want to play some of the Xbox games...
The games wouldn’t sell much with a 30% increase in price and the social networks and media would be extremely negative.

I’ve seen some ideas about pulling the plug on the day 1 Gamepass strategy too and get some extra money that way, but that would also end with negativity.

They really can’t get out of this trap without a trainwreck.

The only thing that could work is if the multiplats would require Gamepass, and they could do Gamepass exclusives on Xbox/PC too, that way their service would grow and they would kinda have some sort of platform ready for the future when everything is running from cloud servers.
But Sony and Nintendo obviously don’t want that.

Sethbacca

a "gaming laptop" is like 1k if that now with a 3060 in it and i know you can go cheaper and again it does so much more than just gaming. When people compare a ps5 vs a pc they say oh pc is expesive. Fuck a ps5 is $600 and a laptop with a 3060 in it is only a few hundred more and it does way more onto of being needed in modern society
This completely disregards that a massive swath of people spend all day working in front of PCs and the last thing they want is to sit in front of a PC after hours. Yes, you can connect your pc to a tv and have a good time, but it's not the same plug and play experience that you get just plopping into your couch with a console controller.

Last edited:

Ribi

This completely disregards that a massive swath of people spend all day working in front of PCs and the last thing they want is to sit in front of a PC after hours. Yes, you can connect your pc to a tv and have a good time, but it's not the same plug and play experience that you get just plopping into your couch with a console controller.
i mean... put your laptop next to a tv with an hdmi cable and grab a kingkong pro 3 and play God of War on your pc or activate steam big picture mode and not only play from your couch but also use your laptop as a pc with your controller

sendit

Eactly.

My son has only ever played on Xbox and all his friends he grew up with played on Xbox

Throwing a few games on Playstation with most of the Xbox library staying put is not changing that

Knowing my son even if they put their entire library on Playstation if he wanted a PS he would have bought one by now
Black Man Reaction GIF by Neesin

Sethbacca

i mean... put your laptop next to a tv with an hdmi cable and grab a kingkong pro 3 and play God of War on your pc or activate steam big picture mode and not only play from your couch but also use your laptop as a pc with your controller
I do that personally, it's simply not a great solution. There are extra steps, windows is shit to handle with a controller so you invariably need to get up to either type shit into your laptop and use the trackpad or also get a wireless keyboard with trackpad built in (which is what I did). Then you have to get your settings dialed in on every game to your satisfaction, sometimes deal with mapping your controllers if it's an unsupported game. I find pc gaming on a tv annoying as fuck and I've been a PC gamer since the 90s. You're never going to convince most casuals that this is a great experience.

I mean, I still do it, but after a long day of structuring supplier contracts the last thing I want to do is fiddle with shit. If MS were to release an Xbox OS that you could boot into for a tv experience on PC that would actually be something I would use, and SteamOS is coming down that same pipe. It will be much more viable in the near future, but it's just a hodgepodge of mess at the moment.

Last edited:

Fredrik

I do that personally, it's simply not a great solution. There are extra steps, windows is shit to handle with a controller so you invariably need to get up to either type shit into your laptop and use the trackpad or also get a wireless keyboard with trackpad built in (which is what I did). Then you have to get your settings dialed in on every game to your satisfaction, sometimes deal with mapping your controllers if it's an unsupported game. I find pc gaming on a tv annoying as fuck and I've been a PC gamer since the 90s. You're never going to convince most casuals that this is a great experience.

I mean, I still do it, but after a long day of structuring supplier contracts the last thing I want to do is fiddle with shit.
A docked Steam Deck is my current living room PC. It’s every bit as easy as a console and better since you have more settings and have file access and can use mods if you want.
It’s just too weak, that’s the only downside. Starfield runs worse than on Xbox. My hope right now is that Valve will be super aggressive with their off-desktop PC plans going forward and either upgrade the Deck above consoles or launch a new Steam Machine.

Sethbacca

A docked Steam Deck is my current living room PC. It’s every bit as easy as a console and better since you have more settings and have file access and can use mods if you want.
It’s just too weak, that’s the only downside. Starfield runs worse than on Xbox. My hope right now is that Valve will be super aggressive with their off-desktop PC plans going forward and either upgrade the Deck above consoles or launch a new Steam Machine.
Yeah, I saw some video on youtube earlier talking about how Valve is working on making it a pc OS now that the OLED Steamdeck is out. So hopefully something will come to fruition from that as I honestly loathe modern Windows.

Last edited:
I'm really happy that this exclusive bullshit gets a good hit.
I'm really sad that there are grown adults crying over some other people who might play Microsoft's games. Touch some grass, for real.

Fredrik

Yeah, I saw some video on youtube earlier talking about how Valve is working on making it a pc OS now that the OLED Steamdeck is out. So hopefully something will come to fruition from that as I honestly loathe modern Windows.
Steam OS on a desktop PC wouldn’t be interesting for me but on a living room PC it would be perfect, Steam Deck feels great when docked, superb UI.

Fredrik

I'm really happy that this exclusive bullshit gets a good hit.
I'm really sad that there are grown adults crying over some other people who might play Microsoft's games. Touch some grass, for real.
It’s not about other people playing the games, it’s about how the platform will die when there is no reason to own it.
Hardware sales will drop, Gamepass numbers will drop, 3rd party devs will not bother doing ports, less big Gamepass titles, servers will close, when moving to PS you’ll lose your digital library, Achievements, Gamerscore, saves, your physical discs won’t work, you’ll have to rebuy games, etc.
And a lack of competirion in the AAA console space will lead to bad things as well.

If you can’t see any negative things coming from this you haven’t thought about it enough.

PC master racers have a hard time understanding this concept. I have a PC with 128GB of RAM and a 4090 that I use for my work, and I have 0 interest in using it for gaming. Consoles have always been my preferred format. It’s just a much more pleasant experience for me

It’s not about other people playing the games, it’s about how the platform will die when there is no reason to own it.
Hardware sales will drop, Gamepass numbers will drop, 3rd party devs will not bother doing ports, less big Gamepass titles, servers will close, when moving to PS you’ll lose your digital library, Achievements, Gamerscore, saves, your physical discs won’t work, you’ll have to rebuy games, etc.
And a lack of competirion in the AAA console space will lead to bad things as well.

If you can’t see any negative things coming from this you haven’t thought about it enough.
There will also be earthquakes, a huge meteorite will fall to earth, all the continents will be filled with lava, and we will all die because of Microsoft becoming a third party. No, I'm not buying it, mate.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I always felt the Xbox folks were repurposed sega folks.
Weird, I never would have made that connection...

Real Sega fans went to PS and Nintendo.

Not some new american console that put the nail in Sega's coffin lol (part joking,chill)
This feels more intuitive to me. I guess because I still associate SEGA with the glory days of gaming of my youth, and it makes more sense in that vein to pick Nintendo or at least another Japanese company since the exotic oriental nature of the gaming tech in the 90s was part of the allure.

But maybe there are some SEGA fans who actually bought into it more because it was the anti-Nintendo, boasting a more Western-friendly focus on sports games and heavy hype on specs (blast processing, or anything about the 32x/CD and its branding). Those people could certainly move more seamlessly to the green box than to Nintendo.

Bogard

I am very confused right now. Even *if* MS is making stuff third party going forward, who loses in the long run? If anyone thinks I'm stupid then trust me, I feel like it.

Fox Mulder

Could you imagine being a SEGA fanboy in the early 2000's and then becoming an Xbox fanboy after SEGA quit the market?

Some people even called the Xbox the Dreamcast 2. The two companies had a good relationship and even considered DC backwards compatibility. Sega made their Chihiro arcade system almost exactly the Xbox hardware.

Xbox did get a number of good exclusive Sega titles though and has a 20+ year run with 4 generations of consoles. Not bad.

Last edited:
Then you’re really not going to believe that I’m also building a rendering rig on a mining frame with 4 x 4090s on it as well… that I also have no interest in using for gaming purposes 😂😂

I sit in front of a PC all day long. I don’t want to use one for recreation. I’d much rather lay in bed and play a game on my PS5. It’s not that hard to believe

Last edited:

Fredrik

There will also be earthquakes, a huge meteorite will fall to earth, all the continents will be filled with lava, and we will all die because of Microsoft becoming a third party. No, I'm not buying it, mate.
You don’t have to buy it, you’ll see it all unveil over the next couple years anyway. Stick around and you’ll see the death of a platform and a changing industry. All things that trigger big emotions is about concern for potential longterm effects on a hobby people love. If it was just about what other people can or can’t play then this wouldn’t even be worth talking about. I mean who cares? a $500 purchase later it wouldn’t be a talking point anymore, big deal.

Could you imagine being a SEGA fanboy in the early 2000's and then becoming an Xbox fanboy after SEGA quit the market?
there actually was people that did that cause xbox had several sega titles and some even exclusive to them. so sega guys went there for those sega games and also the controller in ways resembled the DC one.

Phase

Oh shit you can dock it like the switch? I didn't know that. That's a perfect solution for when I don't want to be on the PC chair.

Fredrik

Oh shit you can dock it like the switch? I didn't know that. That's a perfect solution for when I don't want to be on the PC chair.
Yeah it’s a PC Switch. UI works perfectly on the TV. I’m using my old LCD Deck that way. And saves syncs to the cloud so you can go back and forth between your desk PC and couch Deck without juggling multiple saves or double dipping on game purchases. It’s perfect. But, too weak right now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I’m enjoying GP for PC too much to care what Microsoft strategy for consoles is. Get a PC and get your peace of mind.

Xbox mandem stand up strong, fuck all these pussyoles begging to play Starfield, we got the hench cock, double the length and width of a can of Monster, muscles all over the place, wel fight untill the end, sllewww deemmm.
Did you drink some Samuel Jackson?

Last edited:

Zadom

Eactly.

My son has only ever played on Xbox and all his friends he grew up with played on Xbox

Throwing a few games on Playstation with most of the Xbox library staying put is not changing that

Knowing my son even if they put their entire library on Playstation if he wanted a PS he would have bought one by now
At least your son plays Xbox. I don’t own an Xbox but would run out tomorrow if my son (age 8) had any interest. All he wants is Roblox. I thought having a son would mean he was automatically into the things you like, but thinking about it, he hates everything I like. Sports, motorcycles, PlayStation. Hmm, maybe he’s just not into me.
bO3QGIe.png

HofT

I see that, but opening up sales to ps and switch they can have 3 key install bases ro generate sales and one to support less sales and gamepass?
Because it's not going to be that much of an increase. If anything they'll be the same as now. Gamepass is mainly used on Xbox and if Xbox is paper waste then there goes that. On PC, steam will always be king. And for consoles, to rely on playstation/switch base to prop it up doesn't make much sense. That base choose PlayStation/switch because that's what they want, they want to play their games. Microsoft will literally need the xbox fanbase to buy into Sony/Nintendo/PC to purchase Microsoft games. Microsoft has CoD so there's that positive I guess. Bethesda and Blizzard have been at their lowest. I don't know, it seems like their waving the white flag but trying to stay positive.

Neolombax

I feel like this is all an over-reaction to an unconfirmed news. Could be a nothin burger.

But....., I will say that these reactions are very interesting to say the least.

You don't have to imagine. Many of them did.

Microsoft courted Sega aggressively with the Xbox which is why you always hear about Microsoft buying Sega. This was something that was bandied around even back then.

The parallels between then and now are staggering, but should not have surprised anyone when the Series wasn't selling at all in Europe and Asia and was in full decline in year 3.

People want to live this fantasy where Xbox can exist as it is today without console and it just can't. They certainly can't afford GamePass as a platform without Xbox consumers who make up the lionshare of subscribers. As GamePass gets more expensive more of these consumers will drop it and Xbox to play on PC or PlayStation.

The toxicity of the console wars is always something that really followed Sega's fanbase around. You really don't hear much about it from Nintendo fans. Nintendo shifted to a new area in gaming and still delivered the games that their fans loved and they've never been more successful. There aren't many nintendo fanboys from a console war perspective, most of those died out with the Gamecube.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
PC master racers have a hard time understanding this concept. I have a PC with 128GB of RAM and a 4090 that I use for my work, and I have 0 interest in using it for gaming. Consoles have always been my preferred format. It’s just a much more pleasant experience for me

This is absolutely wild to me...

Is this a PC at work or something. Because if you have access to this beast 24/7 and don't use it for games...either your set up is all kinds of wrong...or you are literally insane 😳 joke...kind of joke.

Last edited:

Three

This is absolutely wild to me...

Is this a PC at work or something. Because if you have access to this beast 24/7 and don't use it for games...either your set up is all kinds of wrong...or you are literally insane 😳 joke...kind of joke.
It's likely a workstation computer, therefore at a desk in an office/bedroom at home. It's not that farfetched not to use it for games and prefer to play on a console somewhere else. I do the same thing most of the time.

Rooting for Sega consoles and the Microsoft….

It would be like being on the Titanic and then the Hindenburg.

Mind you - I backed the Atari ST and Amiga CD32 when the signs were bad - it’s something you have to go through I think.

Last edited:
Top Bottom