• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Help I feel violated by Microsoft

Fox Mulder

It could be worse, imagine having been one of the Windows Phone devoted back in the day

I was and enjoyed it. It was a visually distinctive UI and had great Nokia hardware. It was just too late to make a dent against Samsung or Apple and never got app support and users.

Like Bing is fine too but Google already existed and is what everyone already uses.

The problem is there isn't many great games to support that platform/ecosystem. That's the REAL reason people are upset. Think about it, if you're not going to buy their consoles then why would you buy their service? It's still the same games that I don't want to spend my time on. I don't care that the service is cheaper. It's still bad games that I dont want to waste my time on. And Microsoft games haven't been good for a while now.

Whereas Sony and Nintendo, it's all about their games. That's why you buy their consoles and that's why they are selling well.

If you don’t care for Xbox games then there’s even less reason to be upset about the games going to other consoles.

HofT

If you don’t care for Xbox games then there’s even less reason to be upset about the games going to other consoles.
I absolutely care about Xbox games. 360 was the peak. I'm upset that the quality of their games has dipped for a while now and will most likely will dip even more on a cheap subscription service (it already has)

Last edited:

kyussman

I just scrolled through Xbox reddits... There are people almost threatening to kill themselves if MS releases a single game on Playstation.
Others threatening to destroy their Xboxes and quit gaming forever.

I don't remember such drama when Sega quit hardware, and I had friends that worshipped Sonic.
Attention grabbing on social media wasn't a thing back then though.

Kilau

QGWKBUK.jpg

I fucked up should be 2001
It’s okay, Xbox didn’t really exist until 2003 when Grabbed by the Ghoulies finally released.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I absolutely care about Xbox games. 360 was the peak. I'm upset that the quality of their games has dipped for a while now and will most likely will dip even more on a cheap subscription service (it already has)

Wait, you're worried xbox quality will dip more from now? With them releasing games on ps and switch?

Ah yes, the logic of games getting worse because of a subscription, even though they are all available outside of the service, and that’s where MS expects to make the most of their money back. Also ignores the fact that MS has released plenty of very good games in the service. Because nothing gets people invested into a sub service like crappy games.

Feel free to be upset about multi platform games all you want. I’m just saying it doesn’t make sense.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Hmm interesting to think that next gen will be nothing but Nintendo and Sony. But Xbox has had two L generations in a row now. After the heights of the 360 era its sad to see them exit the console market. But then its just like SEGA leaving, we still get games like Yakuza and Shadow the Edgeheg. Maybe Chief can be in smash next time round.

HofT

Wait, you're worried xbox quality will dip more from now? With them releasing games on ps and switch?
Absolutely. Their subscription model is too cheap to yield high production video games especially in this era where video games are very expensive to make.

HofT

Ah yes, the logic of games getting worse because of a subscription, even though they are all available outside of the service, and that’s where MS expects to make the most of their money back. Also ignores the fact that MS has released plenty of very good games in the service. Because nothing gets people invested into a sub service like crappy games.

Feel free to be upset about multi platform games all you want. I’m just saying it doesn’t make sense.
The games will get worse if they're solely on a subscription service. It's too cheap to yield high production video games. Microsoft is simply becoming not much different than Sega.

Nydius

It could be worse, imagine having been one of the Windows Phone devoted back in the day
I’ll be honest in admitting I was one of them. I really wanted Windows Phone to do well.

But, to be fair, I was also a Zune early adopter and hoped that would do well too.

I suppose that’s why I’m not so overly bothered by this. Xbox’s day was inevitable, just like Zune and Windows Phone before it.

RickMasters

Xbox mandem stand up strong, fuck all these pussyoles begging to play Starfield, we got the hench cock, double the length and width of a can of Monster, muscles all over the place, wel fight untill the end, sllewww deemmm.

Man I love this about gaf! ….London mandem in the building. Wha gwarn! big ups from Florida. 👊🏾🇯🇲🇬🇧🇺🇸

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Absolutely. Their subscription model is too cheap to yield high production video games especially in this era where video games are very expensive to make.

I see that, but opening up sales to ps and switch they can have 3 key install bases ro generate sales and one to support less sales and gamepass?

Alebrije

Nothing Will happen , mostly Will be Microsoft going all digital, some games Will be on PS or other plataforms like Starfield, They Will keep doing hardware but maybe Will be just a basic decive to get a better cloud/streaming performance.

Do not see the apocaliptic stuff some people think Will be..Microsoft has been working to be the Netflix of videogames no matter if You Tv is LG,Samsung,Sony,Vizio,Etc...

As a PS5 owner This is good news specially if I like Elders Scrolls and Fallout games...this means for PS6 there is a Big probability to play those games.

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

I was and enjoyed it. It was a visually distinctive UI and had great Nokia hardware. It was just too late to make a dent against Samsung or Apple and never got app support and users.

Like Bing is fine too but Google already existed and is what everyone already uses.
Truth. I actually enjoyed the Windows OS experience as well, although you definitely saw the issue with the lack of proper third-party apps.

Fredrik

Just my 2 cents for people that love just Xbox games and Gamepass there will still be an Xbox to buy next generation

I know a lot of people who own a PS and would never buy an Xbox and a lot of Xbox owners that would never buy a PS

Xbox hardware isn't going anywhere unless there was indeed a coup over the weekend, one so severe Phil was still playing Diablo 4 instead of making important calls
Okay but why would anyone buy a Xbox?

Imagine if Sony would release their PSVR2 games on Quest 3.
That’s what Microsoft are doing. The games will sell better no doubt but it’ll 100% kill the platform. Why invest in a dying platform?

sendit

That’s what Microsoft are doing. The games will sell better no doubt but it’ll 100% kill the platform. Why invest in a dying platform?
Straight forward answer here. This isn't rocket science. You don't buy a Xbox. You buy a PC or a PS5.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Cant help it I know people like my son and all his gaming buddies are all on Xbox and also have been and simply wont buy a PS

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Cant help it I know people like my son and all his gaming buddies are all on Xbox and also have been and simply wont buy a PS

This is how it is for mine. Mainly on pc for games like apex but xbox is their console of choice.

I've always had every console so my kids could play wherever but it's just been xbox between thier group of friends and family.

Sethbacca

I mean, I kind of get it since I stuck with Nintendo through the Gamecube era and refused to give them up, but when I eventually realized they were never again going to be part of the big power, AAA era then I changed my primary platform accordingly. I'm still a fan of Nintendo IPs, but I don't really get the extreme brand loyalty that some brands command. In the case of Xbox have they done anything outside of the 360 era to deserve the cult following they have? It's so weird.

At least Nintendo had arcade heritage, NES, SNES, N64, GC, Gameboy, Gameboy Advance and a wealth of games before they puttered into doing their own thing. MS just doesn't have the clout to command that kind of loyalty in my estimation.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Straight forward answer here. This isn't rocket science. You don't buy a Xbox. You buy a PC or a PS5.
Two completely different markets tbh. After this change, if you don’t want or can afford a PC you buy a Playstation. Period. That’s the consequence from this change.

Xbox was sometimes said to be irrelevant by hyperbolic people, but it really wasn’t.
A Xbox was necessary for those without a PC. Unless they deliberately planned to skip games from 25 studios or whatever.

But after this change it truly is irrelevant. Zero hyperbole. It’s just not needed.

If they do timed exclusives it’ll at most be annoying delays. But that’s no different than how it is with PS games if you have a PC. You can live with that. Personally I don’t need a PS today. The difference again is the market difference. A PC isn’t going to be a choice for everyone so PS never end up irrelevant even if all games come to PC.
A PS is necessary for those without a PC.

Ribi

Two completely different markets tbh. After this change, if you don’t want or can afford a PC you buy a Playstation. Period. That’s the consequence from this change.

Xbox was sometimes said to be irrelevant by hyperbolic people, but it really wasn’t.
A Xbox was necessary for those without a PC. Unless they deliberately planned to skip games from 25 studios or whatever.

But after this change it truly is irrelevant. Zero hyperbole. It’s just not needed.

If they do timed exclusives it’ll at most be annoying delays. But that’s no different than how it is with PS games if you have a PC. You can live with that. Personally I don’t need a PS today. The difference again is the market difference. A PC isn’t going to be a choice for everyone so PS never end up irrelevant even if all games come to PC.
a pc should be a choice for everyone. How tf do people even operate without a computer in the modern day? People complain that a pc is too expensive and always leave out the fact that it doesnt just play games but is also needed for work, socializing/connecting people from far distances, as well as to consumer other media. I'm convinced that Sony fans only use a leapfrog pc

If Microsoft were smart, they'd just charge an extra 30% for all Xbox games on Playstation (which would cover the cost to Sony for publishing on their platform). That way, the Xbox has the value proposition as being the cheapest way to play Xbox games, plus Microsoft makes some extra money from PS-only players who really want to play some of the Xbox games...

Last edited:

eNT1TY

Nothing has happened yet, MS still stands where it stood yesterday and last week and last month trucking along. This alarmism is just noise from a very insular sector of an already isolated pocket of the internet, for some perspective ask any random coworker not in your immediate peer group or your neighbor of the death knells and they will have no idea what you are talking about or that xbox is indeed doomed.

Fredrik

a pc should be a choice for everyone. How tf do people even operate without a computer in the modern day? People complain that a pc is too expensive and always leave out the fact that it doesnt just play games but is also needed for work, socializing/connecting people from far distances, as well as to consumer other media. I'm convinced that Sony fans only use a leapfrog pc
You don’t need a gaming PC for work and social networks. I’ve had a computer since the early 80s but I’ve only had a proper gaming PC since 2014. Many just sit with laptops. I did too, my first Steam game (Marlow Briggs) was played on a laptop, got it dirt cheap on a summer sale, that’s how it all started.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
This is how it is for mine. Mainly on pc for games like apex but xbox is their console of choice.

I've always had every console so my kids could play wherever but it's just been xbox between thier group of friends and family.
It seems to be hard for some to grasp but again I know many people that wouldn't own a Playstation

Besides this update Phil is going to give likely keeps that the case for most of the people I know

Topher

Gold Member
If Microsoft were smart, they'd just charge an extra 30% for all Xbox games on Playstation (which would cover the cost to Sony for publishing on their platform). That way, the Xbox has the value proposition as being the cheapest way to play Xbox games, plus Microsoft makes some extra money from PS-only players who really want to play some of the Xbox games...

I'm fairly certain both Xbox and PlayStation have price parity clauses in place to prevent things like that from happening.

Topher

Gold Member
It seems to be hard for some to grasp but again I know many people that wouldn't own a Playstation

Besides this update Phil is going to give likely keeps that the case for most of the people I know

Makes perfect sense for folks who not only have a lot of money invested in the ecosystem, but also want to play where their friends play. My sons play online entirely on PC as that's where their friends are.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Makes perfect sense for folks who not only have a lot of money invested in the ecosystem, but also want to play where their friends play. My sons play online entirely on PC as that's where their friends are.
Eactly.

My son has only ever played on Xbox and all his friends he grew up with played on Xbox

Throwing a few games on Playstation with most of the Xbox library staying put is not changing that

Knowing my son even if they put their entire library on Playstation if he wanted a PS he would have bought one by now

Top Bottom